Macmillan Cancer Support

Macmillan Cancer Support Employee Reviews

Fast paced work setting. Always busy, but this is great as your never not doing something. People are lovely and always happy to help and will always go above and beyond to help customers as well as employees, Very informative work setting.
The ethics of the charity are very good unfortunately the management ie Directors are very very poor, only interested in themselves and what they can get out of the charity, most of them if not All have no clinical background. In my time working for this charity it has gone on a down ward spiral the Directors are bullies and hide behind the so called caring image of the charity.
Pros
Working for a charity
Cons
Long hours incompetent leaders (Top management)
Excellent company to work with, always nice to give something back in the world , helping others feels nice and knowing you were apart of that makes all the difference
Pros
Helping others
Cons
No pay
The most amazing charity for work for, amazing pay, lovely people, fantastic management. Can not recommend this job enough and I was so sad to leave due to my contract ending.
Pros
Amazing colleagues and management
Cons
It all started with a great idea for a good cause, but ended up in being a health-hazardous workplace - stay away from this company, if you value your own mental health (!). I have been working to a very high standard, as my fellow colleagues also agreed by giving me relevant feedback. Always maintained values, policies and relevant work practices at this level. - The management could not care any less, if you really supported a person who is facing one of the worst experiences and difficult times in his/ her life. What they only care about is to bring numbers up, their own brand and image, which does not correlate at all with what people might project into it, as well as making more and more money by fundraising and donations - all whilst working their staff to mental exhaustion and illness. When trying to raise this issue with my line manager, whom I trusted a lot, I got back-stabbed by this person in return. Although I then passed this on to another member of staff of slightly more senior position and this person agreeing with me, I got manipulated and harassed by my line manager. This person would from then on constantly bully me. When I brought this up to senior management, they sided all together and tried to intimidate me with their horrible mind-games. On my request for reasonable adjustments, I was not provided any of that - even though there were clearly resources available and this is being imposed by the government by several legal/ public Acts. Thy simply wanted me out and continued to bully and manipulate me; knowing that I was not coping well anymore and got extremely - more...
Pros
It all started with a great idea for a good cause...
Cons
BULLYING! Micromanagement, manipulative.
To date I have attended a few committee meetings to plan fundraising events. The committee are a fantastic group of people dedicated to raise money to fund vital cancer services. The hardest part is brainstorming new ideas to raise funds but seeing these plans come into action and raising the much-needed money for the charity is definitely the most enjoyable part.
I only worked as a contest for a short time for Macmillan great organisation that provide great care to those that merit. Can’t praise them enough. Brilliant
Great job and very rewarding. Can be upsetting but also uplifting to see how we can over come things and become stronger because of it. The people are fantastic too, the team are always behind you and nothing is too much trouble.
I have been training at MacMillan 5 weeks and can't understand what's going on. Training involved Citizens Advice training and now office based with MacMillan. There were no proper breaks during training which was haphazard and at times we had not laptop to use. In the office I was training 4 hours with no break , when I ate my sandwich, 5 minutes as I had to whilst taking a prescription tablet ,no one said have a 15 minutes break or get a drink. I found one trainer very catty and unfriendly. I am thinking of applying elsewhere as a volunteer.
The company was lovely to volunteer for and truly cared about everyone involved and doing good in society in general. All the main employees were great and understanding.
The management is really poor and not supporting at all to advance in your job. It is sad really considering that the staff feels very strongly about the aims of the organisation but cannot perform well under these circumstances.
A good place to work. Lots of change but the best bunch of people you could ever meet. A real passion to make changes in people's lives. Can be distressing at times but managers, on the whole, are supportive.
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
Heavy workload
Nice people with nice environment. Would love to work there again I learned so much about how cancer support and training is provided in so many ways and in so many locations. Love the idea of the Peace places that they provide for Cancer patients free of charge in various hospitals
Although only on a freelance contract, I was made to feel very welcome and part of the team. There was a lot of autonomy but support when needed. There seemed to be a good work/ life balance coupled with interesting work.
Pros
Great people
Cons
None that I could see
I have been a volunteer for almost 5 years and for me Macmillan has given me my life back after having to give up work due to my health issues. Every member of staff is very friendly (those who have come in contact with during my time being a volunteer) they are very supportive and they offer training all year round The role I do I can do at home in my time
Pros
Expences working from home
The people there are lovely and very supportive, Although progression is slow, they are keen on people developing their knowledge and skills. Generally a nice place to work.
Pros
good work ethic
Cons
slow progression
Found that my personality didn't fit into the alpha female environment. Lots of office politics and strategy playing. Very disappointing. Not very supportive.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Poor management styles, old office
i have been a volunteer for mcmillan cancer support for few months organised amazing work culture empathetic and kind staff very nice place to work in
Talking to individuals, companies and groups about working with Macmillan Cancer support in a number of ways, increasing their knowledge about cancer and the ways Macmillan can support and working in partnership with them to raise money to support those affected by cancer
Pros
working from home
Cons
evening work
I love working for such a supportive charity I feel I have lots to give and the opportunity to do this is here. I would recommend volunteering for Macmillan.
Sort inter design role with Macmillan, I helped designers with any minor tasks required of me, with few admin duties. I wanted an insight into how in-house designers worked.