Magnet logo
Magnet

Magnet Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Solid professional company - however salaries are low

A professional company. Systems/protocols and training are well developed. Salaries and commission are poor. As the company is large and most branches run similarly to a franchise; it is difficult for head office to see staff treatment at ground level,; they tend to turn a blind eye if they have good financial results are branch level.

Pros

Training and we'll developed systems. Good non financial rewards available

Cons

Poor salary's. Very poor basic salary for commission earners. Non financial rewards are good, but difficult to achieve

Great company to work for

Been with the company for a fair few years now and I can say I’m really enjoying working for Magnet. It’s fun, fast paced, challenging and massively rewarding. There are great colleagues and management around to always keep pushing you deliver a better you. We have great stores, products and systems to make our customers journey truly unique and best in the market. I work in a London store so it’s always something different everyday happening. If your looking for a company to progress and develop then Magnet is a great place to be the HR manager is fantastic and supporting always available to help with any issues and development needs in store. The regional management are Always on hand to push you and coach you to become a great manager he is a very great role model and one day can hopefully progress into this role. All in all not many companies can offer such great packages and support. Great work place

Pros

Great senior team and colleagues

Cons

Not much

Had its day

I am a current manager in the southeast region, and the company has just had a massive restructure and behold the godfathers (RD) are gone. Which is great but the choices of the ASM that we have now should of gone with them because all they will do is infect us with the useless copy and paste that only regional has somehow managed to believe is leadership. HR for the southeast is more interested in being friends so they can be getting away earlier and not interested in protecting the staff from the useless new regional. The two or one regional depending on how it’s split is either playing around with a designer and the other is in the job because they had there nose somewhere where it didn’t belong and put there before they got kicked out. I have worked and worked to achieve and push for the impossible and for what to be looked at and treated like I have given nothing. And I am taking this further and I am actively looking but i don’t trust the company to deal correctly with it, but the whole culture in this company needs to change and needs to start with out with the old and in with the new. Head office is a joke and that needs shot off fast utter useless I am actually lost for words to describe them to be honest, to be honest I’d rather see magnet on the ropes with a rib shot just to end there chances of ever getting back up. So don’t work here or if you do, get out!

Pros

Made a lot of friends, colleges and customers

Cons

Long hours (not paid for) when you go over 40 hours, mind is always on work you can’t just walk away

Don’t work here

In the years I have been there. Progression has been talked about but never followed through with. Bullying from area management and not a nice environment to be in. Seen as a number most of the time instead of an individual. Always critisized when not hitting targets but no lthanks for when you do. Its a shame as the first few years were refreshing but the last manager was a nightmare to work for. Seems to be a little buddy circle between certain managers and area management which did not make it fair. The manager in question provided no support during long term absence (absence due to work related stress leading to further personal issues) and the company as a whole have no care for their customer base once they have delivered the kitchen despite the “guarantee’s” in place.

Pros

I worked with a great team of colleagues

Cons

Bullying and in house buddying between management and seniors

Disloyal regional management

If your looking for a company to progress through the ranks with support and encouragement, then this isn’t for you. Starting from the top the leadership and management style is left to be desired, just hope head office sees sooner rather than later. HR manager is there to protect the company and staff but allows the regional director to abuse staff with undesirable profanities. The area manager was told to apply over the others (waste of my time) the other is well the errand boy. If this pandemic had not of come around and created this now unbelievable disloyal area management team then god forbid we will see out 2021 with a strong company, they and head office will be the demise of magnet and all people that have put there sweat and tears into making much of success it has now with one hand tied behind there back.

Pros

Strong team

Cons

Area Management

Could be good. "Could"

Magnet is generally a good business, however unless you're a designer your incentives are extremely poor, not only do they get better commission they get certain incentives throughout the year where they can earn very good money unlike every other role. The regional only cause stress and are no help, they'll push and push for targets even though all their day job seems to be is to copy and paste previous emails from other hierarchy and slate you to other members of staff and management which for some reason they seem to think is acceptable? and the way they speak to staff is just disgusting! not only that but sexism seems to be the in thing amongst regionals.. very old fashioned in their ways. Unless you're a lad, and their lad at that you have no chance and even then expect to get treated and spoken to like rubbish. If they want you out, you'll be out. No acceptable reason or process needed, you'll be pushed out of the company one way or another due to bullying. Also they'll call last minute to see what you can push through sales wise to make sure they get their nice chunky bonus just for sending out emails. it is a shame as Magnet could be a fantastic place to work. Luckily I managed to find another role elsewhere and when you move on boy do you see the difference in how the company is ran. it's a pity if this company was run properly with less snakes and kings I probably would have stayed

Pros

staff in branch

Cons

regional management, no real progression, if the face fits

Great company.

Magnet is a great company to work for if you have the right attitude. During my time there I started on the trade counter and worked my way up in to management. The job can be stressful at times and some of the managers can be hard going, but if you go in with a positive and can do attitude, willing to listen and learn you can go along way. Salaries aren't too bad but you can earn a lot in commissions and incentives/bonuses.

Pros

Money, career advancement

Cons

Sometimes you will have to work long hours.

Great Job, Management are sneaky, rude, and disrespectful

All in all working for magnet was really good. I worked for their contract department CKS. I had a team i worked with and we stuck together and kept ourselves to ourselves. It was a really tight nice working relationship between us all. Then management get involved... A lot of backstabbing from higher ups, excuses and reasons for actions carried out are not reasonable, if you ask for evidence to show how they reached that decision they fob you off. Even HR who are there to represent you as well as the company fob you off. I was let go due to COVID and i can honestly say, if COVID never happened i would have worked here probably for a very very long time. However after how they handled my furlough and eventually redundancy i would not recommend anyone to work there any time soon.

Pros

company car, nice team, easy work life, busy

Cons

HR are rubbish, certain management are rubbish

Had some fun times working at magnet. Always a new challenge, great products that you feel confident working with. Excellent support from above. Overall very impressed

Really good, helps always on hand.

Wish I were still there, but unfortunately I had to move down the country due to family. Loads of over time of wanted. Management to form. Pay real good as are the holidays. Double bubble pay on holiday plus a day in Lee. Top job. If you get the job, keep it!!!!!!!

Jobs at Magnet

See more jobs

Creative and professional work space

I had a great time working in Magnet Kensington which was a showroom. We did not need to handle a lot of stock and the clientel was nice. Unfortunately I was made redundant due to Covid-19 as I was on my probation period. I would wish that they would have given more advice/ assistance in this situation but would highly recommend the company and I hope I would be offered to come back once the situation is more stable.

Undervalued, undermined, overworked unbalanced management.

Under staffed undervalued, under paid. Miserable, demoralising and culture of bulling from management. The job evolved answering the phone, so others could do there job. The job was busy for one but not two designers. As the cleaner said we have had three managers in 1 and a half and this has been the worst one and unfortunately his ego saids it all. The company has stagnated in its offering in products and service. But really they don’t care, lip service and a very clicky team going nowhere.

Pros

Cons

No enjoyable moment ever

Sorry state of affairs!!

It starts ok, after a while you notice that money you have earned starts to disappear with charges made against you for no particular reason. Do not work for these thieves.

Pros

None.

Cons

Leaving.

Beautiful showroom and great team

Supportive colleagues, courses available to increase proficiency. An all inclusive and friendly invironment. Opportunities to progress further in your career.

Poor management

Depending on Depot, Poor management, Just Look at how many vacancy’s there are ... it says it all . They can not retain and look after staff! Everyone I know has left, if you have an issues it doesn’t get sorted.

Pros

Not working Sundays

Cons

9-6, poor management, corrupt

Productive and progressing environment

The team is fantastic, starting from the are manager, manager and colleagues from brunch.Every trimestre I receive bonuses, vouchers for the restaurant, and many others benefits. So far is the best company for myself!

New branch

Helped to set up branch and make it a success as the company hadn't opened a branch for a while so my background in retail and store set up in fads helped

Career advancement

Exciting fast paced business, hard work but enjoyable. Trade: meet new people everyday but build relationships with regulars. Showroom: professional, rewarding to see the end product.

Wonderful

The best place i have worked. Great staff, higher management very good, was unfortunately made redundant after 5 years but was a great place to work. Depending on location it was difficult to progress. But overall very good company to work for.

VERY clicky!

The job role itself was enjoyable, the work load was A LOT, too much at times and could cause a lot of stress. Unfortunately, the team were very clicky and even though you work along side them and try to help each other out some would happily find reasons to get you into trouble and you always have to watch your back, even if what your doing is what everyone else does there will be some who will try and turn it around. This was largely what made me leave, can't be done with working with 2 faced people.

Avoid

Magnet are probably one of the most devious companies out there. It’s definitely a case of if your face fits. They dispose of staff as easily as putting trash in the bin. They use the probation period in order to get a vibe off people and if you’re not what they like out the door you go.

Pros

Work colleagues in store are good support as they’re in the same boat

Cons

Area management are deceitful and manipulative

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Magnet. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement