Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
Happiness score is 57 out of 100

Working at Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust: Latest Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust Reviews

United Kingdom39 reviews

workingmanagementjobworkhospitallotteamplace

Staffing Pressures felt

Like all NHS Hospitals, this Trust has had an issue with Staffing levels. Covid has caused a real problem with getting shifts covered. All Wards are usually short staffed, but again, this is a blanket problem within the NHS currently. Good support for progression and training. Management are very visible and approachable.

Pros

good training opportunities and promotion

Cons

Poor staffing levels

Great Team, awful management

I would not recommend this job role to anyone. The girls that work in the office are great. They are willing to help anyone out and are a fabulous team. However, the Manger is not flexible at all and has made it obvious that she dislikes one member of staff in particular. The shift pattern is horrendous, i.e. if you are working the next 6 Christmas until 10pm, you have to work them, no leave or swaps. The team in the office are amazing but the micro managing and selfishness of the manager has a significant impact on the motivation and atmosphere for everyone else in the office. In addition, for the responsibility that the department deals with, the pay is way too low.

Insights into Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • General feeling of work happiness

No skill set required

Department is a joke , zero focus on providing a service to hospital users .Managers are bullies unless you are a friend of higher management. I would not recommend working for the estates department .There is no progression within the role .

Ok

Overall a pleasant working environment and some great colleagues however some department managers / supervisors can be rude and very demanding

Pros

Friendly colleagues

Cons

Work/Home life balance Managers

Very Professional

All the staff are very supportive and helpful.The wards and the work environment is very good and convenient.The location and the area of the hospital is very convenient. The hospital provides free shuttle transport service for the staff.

Professional and supportive.

I really appreciate my time working for the NHS MTW trust. I worked there for 16 years. 3 years on the staff bank. 5 years in Chemotherapy Oncology and 8 years in Radiotherapy as a support worker. Unfortunately I had to leave to relocate areas but if I could of taken my job with me I would have. The in house training is very good and supportive and if you need help in any way at all they are always there to support you. At one point I urgently needed accommodation and I was offered this through working at MTW NHS Trust.

Pros

Accommodation if needed, In house training, NHS discounts on clothing, options, cafés and restaurants, Flexibility for worker's with children.

Cons

7 days a week and 24 hrs working patterns, unless you are fortunate enough to get work in the out patients departments.

Bad management

Initially a nice place to work with hard working dedicated consultants and staff. Following a number of changes of management, the current one the worst, the department deteriorated and morale was very low with a number of the original staff leaving. The management style became dictatorial and arrogant and I became disallousioned. It was such a shame to leave the NHS as I believe in the fundamental values of this organisation but continued bad management will ruin the ability of dedicated caring staff to work in this environment.

Pros

Friendly colleagues

Cons

Very bad management

Good enough place but stressfull and salary not commensurate to high cost of accomodation

Friendly staff, work load more than salary. All your salary goes into paying of rent and bills for people with children. You will have nothing left after bills. You must work overtime to survive

Pros

Friendly environment

Cons

salary not enough to survive in the area

Managers on Power Play

Currently working with a small team at MTW. Managers gang up like children on power play. Sadly, bullying is prevalent with this particular Trust. HR really needs to to re train their managers or else, there would always be a higher number of staff turnover.

Good 0800-1600 job The trust invested in my training as Transport Manager.I have now qualified as a Transport Manager Some staff come across as being militant but that is due to quite low salaries. Culture can be frustrating at times as in its not my job. I enjoy working as part of a team.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Salary not representative to responsibility

It was nice working with managers and other colleagues

Everything fine. It’s more better of trust pay clinical pharmacy technician band 5 salary as other hospitals. All pharmacy technician should trained for Accuracy checking of dispensed medicines and 2 hours slot wee

Theatre Support

My first time joining the NHS, I came from a visual merchandising background within retail. I joined Pembury hospital as a theatre support worker. Was told I would get training and support for the first 6 months. Didn’t really get either. The vibe of most staff was cliquey and rude. The friendlier staff were helpful and supportive but it was rare you were put with someone who wanted to help you. No professional or structured training was put in place. I unfortunately fell ill 3momths in, with glandular fever and then was off for about 2.5months. When I returned I wasn’t given the rest of my learning/training like they agreed and was shoved in at the deep end. I became very stressed and uncomfortable when put in areas or tasks I was unsure or not trained to do. There’s only so many times you can speak out or try to address the issue but the management always brushed it off and you was just made to continue. I was eventually taken sick again and signed off. I never returned after, and handed in my notice. Was such a shame as I had high hopes to enjoy my time there and Gain a career. All my family work for the NHS and love it. I’m determined though to continue to find a job/career within the nhs. Just better management and training.

Pros

Discount pay parking job security

Cons

Long hours poor management lack of training rude colleagues

Not a nice place to work

Backstabbing colleagues, bullying managers and a very strict attendance policy. The job was okay although very demanding. I would not recommend working there.

Estates

Poor pay and start salary 19000 is poor for a trade person ,other hospitals pay a higher grade and are looked down by supervisors who do not lead by example and not trusted by staff

Good Place to work

I worked in Finance team, all are very helpful and you feel like family, you can learn alot,asking sonething if you dont know is always appreciated left due to family circumstances.

A good place to work.

Happy to work there. Left as I decided to retire. They were keen to promote and support me in both my work and related studies e,g, by sponsoring me to do a Prince 2 course and study for a certificate in energy management.

friendly staff

Everyone is nice and helpful, I felt failed as an apprentice as I didn't get the help and support I needed from my manager and was left on my own for a lot of work when I didn't know what I was doing even though iasked for help.

Nice place to work

A very nice place to work, majority of colleagues are very nice. Management is a big issue in my area of work. Great job satisfaction knowing you are helping people

Excellent employer

Nice place to work, staff friendly and helpful to new comers. Interesting work and good opportunities to progress up the ladder. Good holidays and pension.

Pros

good pension

Cons

stressful

I enjoyed working here, however, the bullying culture will never change. There are a lot of good people working there but I found attitudes to male nurses poor compared to females

Pros

Wonderful place to work

Cons

Old fashioned attitudes

Staffing

If short staffed, never felt supported by management. It pushes people to breaking point. And when you have staff that are passionate about care for patients, it’s unfair

Pros

Meeting many different people

Cons

Not enough staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust with

Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust reviews by location

Learn about Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust in popular locations

• Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?