Malmaison

Malmaison Employee Reviews

United Kingdom175 reviews

hotellovelygueststafflongstandardshiftkitchen

It’s oky

If you want to work very hard you could make a decent living. The team is amazing but it you are more likly to do more hours than contracted. Rota is only available one week in advance which makes it hard to have a good work life balance

Not worth it

For what will be expected it’s paying well below average. This job would only suit someone with minimum commitments outside of work. As with most hotels it’s just clicks in all departments.

Insights into Malmaison

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

Productive career driven emvironment

Brilliant place, really engaging management team which helps to motivate & develop the team. Fantastic training oportunities & development for those who career driven & want to succeed in the industry. Industry leading in how they develop people imo.

Pros

Progression. Promotes from within

Never again

Believe me you don’t want to work here regardless of how much money you are offered. Very toxic work life , too long hours and no personal life , and no one cares.

Pros

Making friends

Cons

Long unrealistic hours, no breaks

Ex employer

Work at Liverpool mal for over 10 years as night porter great hotel at the time I was there great Gm and really good staff, good place to work at and gain experience in all aspects of hotel hospiyàlity.

Pros

Look after staff

Cons

None while i was there

Just stay away if you can

Very dissapointing place. Management doesnt care about anything else but their bonus, very stressful work environment, zero appreciation no matter how hard you try... We were working with tools from Aldi there are no replacement parts, you basically have to cut bolts and screws to fit ,have to beg for ppe,all an all its a very dissapointing experience....

Worked at Birmingham Malmaison for over 6 years. Absolutely loved it

I worked at Birmingham Malmaison for over 6 years. I loved it. Team was great, my manager and supervison were also very down to earth, easy to talk to and would always try to help. Shifts could be long but I was getting paid per hour so did not mind that.

Dissapointing

No staff food (and the closest shop is 10 minutes away), it was rare to get a break in the restaurant, little appreciation, you have to learn on the job and progression is rare no matter how hard you work. The actual team itself when I worked there were incredible, hardworking people that I rarely saw get treated the way they deserved. It was very disappointing.The only positives were the room discounts and the TRONIC that was given from customers not the company.

20 June 2022
Hello,Thanks for your review. The team in Aberdeen are very hardworking and te restaurant there is one of the busiest in the group.As a company we don't hold back any of the TRONC payments made by the guests and all payments go to the teams.

Good pay but no work life balance

When I started working there I was given no training and thrown in at the deep end. Though I picked things up quickly I never felt rewarded. Management clearly have their favourites and there are clear cliques. Pay is excellent however the shifts are long and stressful often not finishing until 1am.I would not recommend working here if you want a life outside of work. The only benefit is the great pay.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Long hours, unrewarding, no work life balance

14 April 2022
Thanks for your feedback.I am sorry to hear you don't feel rewarded at work. Alongside the excellant pay we offer a wide range of benefits - cycle to work, discounts on shopping, staff stays from £45 p/night, Wagestream and more - as well as lots of internal development opportunities.Please get in touch should you wish to find out more. Ben

Stay away

The shift never ends. Hours are long and pay is horrible for all the abuse you have to take from customers and also staff. Very toxic culture and the managers only have their positions due to having spouses in higher positions.

14 April 2022
Hello, Thanks for your feedback. Please do get in touch should you wish to discuss further. We have a policy of no tolerance for abuse towards our teams and a fair and transparent recruitment policy in place to prevent any "jobs for mates" culture. bgabbitas@malmaison.com

little intense but fun experience overall.

gave me good times at work but was sometimes quite intense when working there. Had issues with my pass payments during the time and never really was fully paid correctly for some reason.Overall it could be better with how they do things but it was still fun and interesting experience to be working there. Lovely team and great manager

Pros

Great team Good manager

Cons

Not getting the correct monthly pay amount sometimes

14 April 2022
Hello,Thanks for your feedback. Happy to review any pay issues (please email hrqueries@malmaison.com).Glad you had a fun and interesting time at Mal York.Ben

Awful company to work for you’ve no social life outside of work continuous stress and working days off that your scheduled to have off .. bully’s

Do not work here avoid at all costs .. bullies and management no care for your own health or safety awful company to work for They just don’t care they go through more staff and employees than is possible to count as nobody stays .. swaping shifts in kitchens daily to build your hours to get a descent wage .. nobody is happy here miserable staff and management bully’s if you say no to a shift they strike you off it’s horrible place

Pros

Absolutely none, they say you get to use the hotels for staff discounts, but you can only use them if they are avalible, and it’s never of a weekend as they like to sell the rooms at full rate, so you can only use the hotels on a monday or Tuesday, so no relaxing weekends away with your partner, .( joke of a company )

Cons

Everything I have listed is all true again avoid at all costs

14 April 2022
Hello,Thanks for your feedback. If you would like to discuss further please do get in touch hrqueries@malmaison.com

It was a great part time job. The overall management was nice and easy to talk to.

It was a great place to learn how to work in a team. It is a great job while you studying. However as a full-time job the hours are sometimes too long.

Pros

Good team

14 April 2022
Hello,Thanks for your feedback, its nice to hear you enjoyed your time working at Dundee Malmaison.We do offer a range of shift patterns with contracts avaliable from 8 hours to 45 hours and flexible days.

employees nice team

Busy place, nice team of employees, no advancement in career, didnt learn much, repetitive, staff underappreciated for the hard work and the over time they all do. Department management rude and unprofessional to employees. late nights and then early mornings, feel drained, unappreciated and deflated quickly. Overall not a bad place to work if you need a job.

Pros

nice team of employees

Cons

long hours, overtime expected not asked, department management rude

20 June 2022
Hello,Thanks for your review. Sad to read that you didnt feel that we offered any advancement for your career. We have over 40 properties within the Malmaison and Hotel du Vin group with hotels across the country offering plenty of opportunities for growth and development.

Used to be a good Place to work

I work for this company for more than 4 years , Poor Management & Directors Iam so happy I have left in perfect time , seeing daily negative guests feedback makes me happy that I took a design to leave .Very happy with new job , new employer respect my experience.

Pros

Used to have a staff discount

Cons

No pay rise over 4 years ! Could not grow up with company even you are qualifying!

14 April 2022
Hello, Thanks for your feedback. Pay rises between 2019 and 2020 were paused due to the pandemic but in November 2021 we increased wages accross the business and moved the entry level rates to 50p above the proposed NMW of £9.50. We also introduced a 13th month bonus payment which pays 50% in July and 50% in January rewarding loyalty and long service.

In many ways the essence of HDV was disappearing

Started of very excited to work for such a great brand but over time things slowly went down hill with all the best staff moving on and a failed attemt by manager to salvage the team spirit with a night out at bowling. No staff food (except occasional left overs otherwise to be binned) even Tea and coffee was of limits (except for the cheapest of cheap 'staff' offering) Not even water was provided except for a tap in the bar pot wash usually surrounded by fruit flies and full of coctail garments. The staff room was a perfect example of the management attitude towards the hard working, often over worked team..it was a health hazard you would avoid at all cost and opt for sitting in the rain which honistly would be a better place to boost your morale. We were hovever 'forced' to scrub/paint this area during lockdown even though around a million was spent on a refurbishment sadly not stretching as far as investing a little in their staff. In summary, a great brand let down by poor management focused only on their targets and saving pennies in the wrong places. I quote one observer of all this and more 'they should seriously consider losing a star'

Pros

Meeting some famous faces

Cons

Too many to list

This was my best job by far although I had to sadly let it go as the labour was too intense for me, The management and staff are really welcoming. Great pay and benefits.

Pros

Pay and welcoming staff

Cons

Labour intensive and little work-life balance

Think twice

I was excited to work in Malmaison London, seemed like a good company to work for until you work for a couple of weeks and you realise that this place is a mess. They had the whole lockdown (more than a year) to fix AC and there are still a lot of issues so you have a list with limited rooms to allocate for the guests. They do not have head of departments and short of staff.Training was poor since there was nobody to give me a proper training, I was just reading procedures and SOP which they don't do most part of them.Very short of staff and they don't even think about hiring from agencies, funny enough some of the days they send hsk team home with only a couple of hours advise (they come for 4h and go home, seems they did not think transportation in London is expensive).The contract is incomplete and is missing a lot of information that you find out once you complain, example: you don't have meals included, uniform can take up to more than a month to be provided and you have to use your own one, you have to clean your uniform at home.Something interesting is that after a couple of days working there all the staff was starting to tell you all the complains and the mess the company is and when I mean ALL is everybody.

Pros

General Manager works hard, staff is friendly

Cons

no meals provided, low salary, company does not care about staff

Really nice woking there

I've got health problems but they always give me time to sort it out the management is fantastic all of them.the team you work with are great .if you need training they will supply it.

Pros

Every body elps eveyone

Cons

No on shift meal

1 July 2021
Thanks for your review.Flexible shifts and training & development is avaliable for all of our teams.Glad you enjoy working for Malmaison.

convenient location

The company needs to work seriously on the organization of work in the housekeeping. There is always a shortage of employees. They have to work with additional loads, there are no prospects for growth.

Pros

free coffe, tea

1 July 2021
Hello,Thanks for your comment. It's been a hard month for everyone in Hospitality with the sector going from closed to full overnight.We have responded quickly recruiting extra team members where required and using agency staff to fill gaps whilst recruitment is ongoing. Disappointed to hear that you don't see any growth prospects. We have a fantastic internal development programme along with a national apprenticeship scheme supported by HIT Training. Should you wish to discuss further please contact HRqueries@malmaison.com

Not a nice place to work

Not a nice place to work, they expect every hour of every day from you, don’t care you have family or a life outside the hotel, the pay is ok, but you don’t get paid over time, I was made to feel like if I didn’t work o we time without pay I would be sacked Please stay away from this hotel and it’s management, you can’t trust them or a word they say, once your in the day they think they own you

Pros

No pros

Cons

Long hours, no respect, rubbish pay

1 July 2021
Hello,Thanks for your reveiw. Malmaison pays above NMW for all levels and positions within the team, the hours can be long due to the nature of the work but by posting rota's well in advance and being flexible with the shift patterns we try to help everyone achieve a good work/life balance.Should you wish to discuss further please contact HRqueries@malmaison.com

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Malmaison. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement