Manchester City Council

Manchester City Council Employee Reviews

Loved every minute of my job.would love to find another role as a Park Warden.Worked with general public and service users.made events and activities to suit various people.Brought parks up to Green Flag Stsndard.Fund raised for various events.Encouaged people to come and enjoy the parks.loved my job
Ever watched "Brazil"? If so, this is what you should expect working at Manchester Council. Gaslighting, manipulation and ever changing expectations which aren't necessarily communicated as changes, rather they're dressed up as failures on your part. The unions are toothless there, as it's a Labour Council- they basically act as an unofficial mouthpiece for senior management, only challenge (weakly) on politically expedient matters, and on individual cases you might as well save your subs and hire a lawyer.
Pros
Getting to meet dignitaries. Exposure in the business community.
Cons
Toxic work culture, gaslighting, staff pay cuts at the same time as Councillors award themselves a payrise.
I really enjoyed my time working for Manchester City council. I have met some wonderful people on the way and I really feel the Manchester spirit working for the council. I feel they pay well and there is opportunity. The employers are fair and I believe they do help their staff. Overall a very pleasant and fair place to work.
Pros
35 hour week
Cons
Can’t think of any tbh
Good benefits and job security. Very flexible and fun to work with teams. They offer pensions, additional holidays. I worked here for nearly 12 years. I have seen 2 rounds of voluntary redundancies.
Awful management and will put you on the lowest pay grade they possibly can even though you're doing the work of a higher level! They have staff members on all different pay grades doing the exact same role! When you start they expect you to hit the ground running with no induction period, not what they say at interview when they tell you that you will be supported, have a full two week induction period and will shadow colleagues. None of that happened and I was pushed from day 1. Wasn't provided with any equipment to work from home which resulted in me not being paid when I was told to isolate because I had been in contact with someone AT WORK who had tested positive for COVID-19. No negotiation at all, was simply told that I couldn't work! Just because I am a agency worker, does not mean I should be treated any differently to the permanent staff. They pushed me to start on a date and then told me my equipment wouldn't be ready for at least another month! Very unfair treatment which put me in a really bad financial position and that was only the start of it! They played Russian Roulette with my wages every week, had to get out of there for not only financial reasons but also for my sanity! Micro managed all the time, daily calls asking what I had done, being told that if I don't put my visits on the system straight away I wouldn't be paid! Bear in mind I had no induction or training and this started on my second week of actually working there and that the permanent staff members were not even doing this! Bullying management style, bad service organisation, no support and - more...
Pros
Cons
Bullying management, issues with pay and bad organisation
An enjoyable and productive time working with open-minded people trying to improve their Joiners Movers Leavers processes utilising Business Process Modelling and Notation techniques.
Never know a place of work like here the bullying from managers there is no confidentiality if your face does not fit they will run you out, once they have used and abused you. They lie so they can end you contract. awful place to work.
Pros
non
Cons
bullying
Policies on discrimination, payment, flexible working, dignity at work, bullying etc are tick box exercises. The Council does not even comply with signed agreements. This review is backed by Documentary evidence. Management cannot be trusted to do the right thing.
Pros
it is a level of government
Cons
It gets away with a lot of vices - Even with its operation as a modern slavery camp...
Excellent colleagues with a beautiful working environment. Working in a highly multi-cultural and varied religious background has further enhanced my professional exposure in a unique way.
Love my cook/ manager job at school. Good rate of pay. Paid holidays. Sick pay. Also a pension. You always feel valued by co workers and management. I quickly moved up the ladder from being a catering assistant.
I have enjoyed working as a teacher and I have learnt a lot from my role. I have been able to progress my career and I have learnt many new skills in my role.
An Amazing team, an amazing employer with a get things done attitude. Loved my time there !! Had the chance to progress and develop skills that i never knew i had. I was involved in making a difference to the people of Manchester
it was interesting to work there because i was able to learn new things, i found it really helpful for me because i now have the experience from working there, so i can get similar jobs like that one or the same one.
Worked there as a Social worker for 4 years. Team managers were OK but senior management apart from one were awful. Couldn't make decisions. Went off with stress after being told I'd messed up and made a bad decision all signed off by manager. Turned out courts agreed with my assessment. Only went back after my union complained. Happy I left.
Fantastic place and people to work with and for. Flexible and very met with every day life. Great pay rate, location and benefits for staff discounts too.
It was a large team. Hierarchy and a toxic style of management ruined an otherwise wonderful environment. My peers and I worked well together achieved excellent things. Communication up the chain was never well received and communication down the chain was dictatorial and brought out the worst in people.
Worked for the taxi licensing section. Awful! No proper training whilst I was expected to reach targets not much work. Managers sitting doing nowt. Pretending to be busy very cliquey horrible experience expected to know everything in 2 days mentoring. Very unorganised and unprofessional
Glad I retired at 62. The job role had changed Management didn't care about staff issues. eg Bullying .Also no caring anymore as the council promotes , Social Care is only a BUSINESS .NOT ABOUT PEOPLE.
Pros
Council Penison
Cons
Really bad bullying managment
I was much happy to work at city council . And its was brilliant time I been there. Also I got proudful . I was awarded as youngest driver in carriage drivers at manchester city council. It the best.
Working with MCC is a great place to work your treated fairly and the salary is good and there are good opportunities for advancement and a great team environment.
Excellent place to work. Recommend it to anyone looking to advance their career and as I was informed at my interview “having them on my cv would enable me to seek excellent jobs elsewhere “ should I leave. Great accountability and all of the funding is spent on all of the work needed. Just a shame the Government don’t fund them sufficiently to get the work done but do offer the funding to a Housing Trust and what is tantamount to a bribe to residents to transfer.