Manchester City Council
Happiness score is 66 out of 100

Manchester City Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom187 reviews

Secure though can be hard to advance

Can only speak for my section,Good place to work with friendly colleagues, flexible/ hybrid working. good leave package 30 days after 5 years. Sometimes feels people working in out of town offices are forgotten

Pros

flexible hours, good holiday

Cons

development often depends on manager

Fun workplace

Very good place to work and the supervisor is very relax with you always follow instructions work as a team and smile and be happy😊 and always be punctuatual on time

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Not long hours

Insights into Manchester City Council

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

I learned lots from my work place.

Working with local Manchester City Council long time. I really like my job and my work colleagues. Also flexible working shifts. Just i wish they increase support staff weges, Because we alk facing so many issues to oay daily living and monthly bills.

Pros

Noi

Cons

I'm happy my working hours

Avoid!!

Terrible working environmentBullying CultureUnderpaidExpected to do work that is above my GradeNo concern for personal safetyReally low staff moral

Pros

Lovely colleagues 35 hour working week

Cons

Poor pay Treated like rubbish Made to feel less than

Love my job

Flexible, understanding boss, enjoyable job, good company culture. Mostly based from home due to Covid but now starting to work from the office a bit. Love it and would recommended this employer.

Supportive

Quite helpful and relaxed. Very secure job. Management team are supportive. Lots of room for progression. They want you to progress and encourage gaining education certificates.

Benefits

Cons

No lunch pay

Customer Service Advisor

MCC is a fantastic employee. Lots of support and training available. Great pension scheme. Training could be better,much of it was E Learning. Monthly appraisals did not always go ahead.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Corporate

Good place to work but management!

Good company to work great pension and loved working with children. The pay was good as I worked in a SEN school, gained a lot of experience and training, but the school I worked itself the management didn’t seem to care about your needs or if you were struggling with something you’d take it to management but nothing would ever get sorted constant back and forth. Lack of communication things would go round in circles alot which could be very frustrating. Also zero lack of care if you suffer from mental health no support nothing A lot of favouritism to certain teaching assistants, always shorted staffed especially in covid as I work throughout lockdown which was very stressful and catching covid due to lack of cleaning and people not cleaning up as told.Overall was a very up and down experience sad to see alot of children go without resources, class team were always great and the teachers do care. Good experience for anyone who wants more experience with SEN

Pros

Good experience

Cons

Management don’t care

Good pensions

Worked with Manchester city council for 11.5years. bad management. No care.Good training. Salary not bad.good pension.Depends where you are placed.Don't treat people fairly.Sweeping things under the carpet

Pros

Good pensions

Cons

Finish at 10om start at 7 am

Tuped/redundancy/retired

School catering teams. Sold off as no longer could support the cost. Too many middle managers. Support/Area managers were like " The Scarlett Pimpernel" they seek him here they seek him there the elusive Pimpernel. No support unless face fits. Senior managers made sure their spouses and families were given good jobs and advancement. Even when advertising as internal only jobs! Families were given key roles when coming from outside employers.

Pros

Full sick pay

Cons

Lack of support to long term staff

Stressful for staff. A doodle for the highly paid consultants.

None of the managers or very few live in Manchester. I found a lot of mockery aimed at the people who were paying our wages. There was a log of contempt in my opinion for those of us who were working class. Yhe consultants called it their cash cow.

Pros

Cons

Too many consultants mocking the people of Manchester.

Experience

After 40 years of service with manchester city Council I can honestly say that I felt so valued and appreciated.The customer focus is excellent and support given staff to achieve their dreams is amazing.The training I had throughout my career was wonderful.I enjoyed working for Manchester City Council and can definitely recommend the company to anyone. I started with next to no qualification and left highly qualified.

Pros

Inclusive

Cons

Very stressful and management are way above themselves

Management don't interact with employees nor do they ask about your well-beingJust want to look good themselves when all they do is put stress in you..

Enjoyed my role

I've enjoyed my role but ready to move to something less stressful I've worked helping homeless women its been a fulfilling role but time to move onI would like some part time I have learnt alot and gained many skills I've achieved all I can in my current role

Pros

Shifts

Cons

Night shifts

Overall job was great

I was offered the position in the pretence of a full time position as my 12 months came to an end I was told by another employee on Wednesday that I was being finished on the Friday Which in my opinion was extremely unprofessional The manager who only was in his position due to his mother being in a higher position was poor with no experience in dealing with employee’s My supervisor and other employee’s were great and as shocked as I was when told that I was being finished with no valid explanation

A busy working environment.

The best part for me was meeting new people on a daily basis and teaching people something new. I learned too many things over the years to mention. The IT has meant you can do a lot more now, including remote working. It can appear very bureaucratic at times and at other times you can see the sense in things taking so long to deliver. People are who they are it wouldn't be good for us all to be the same. It sometimes feels as though it is top management heavy and more support is needed at the delivery end but direction is needed at a strategic level. Cuts to services has meant there is a lot of pressure to deliver services and it can feel like you are working hard and not really getting anywhere.

Pros

Flexible working conditions

Cons

Pressure can build so make sure you have a good work/life balance.

A toxic manipulative workplace culture

Ever watched "Brazil"? If so, this is what you should expect working at Manchester Council. Gaslighting, manipulation and ever changing expectations which aren't necessarily communicated as changes, rather they're dressed up as failures on your part. The unions are toothless there, as it's a Labour Council- they basically act as an unofficial mouthpiece for senior management, only challenge (weakly) on politically expedient matters, and on individual cases you might as well save your subs and hire a lawyer.

Pros

Getting to meet dignitaries. Exposure in the business community.

Cons

Toxic work culture, gaslighting, staff pay cuts at the same time as Councillors award themselves a payrise.

Park Warden role meeting public.Service users.Bei g a le to provide safe use of parks

Loved every minute of my job.would love to find another role as a Park Warden.Worked with general public and service users.made events and activities to suit various people.Brought parks up to Green Flag Stsndard.Fund raised for various events.Encouaged people to come and enjoy the parks.loved my job

Great work life balance and characters

I really enjoyed my time working for Manchester City council. I have met some wonderful people on the way and I really feel the Manchester spirit working for the council. I feel they pay well and there is opportunity. The employers are fair and I believe they do help their staff. Overall a very pleasant and fair place to work.

Pros

35 hour week

Cons

Can’t think of any tbh

Good

Good benefits and job security. Very flexible and fun to work with teams. They offer pensions, additional holidays. I worked here for nearly 12 years. I have seen 2 rounds of voluntary redundancies.

Awful place to work. Management bully agency staff

Awful management and will put you on the lowest pay grade they possibly can even though you're doing the work of a higher level! They have staff members on all different pay grades doing the exact same role! When you start they expect you to hit the ground running with no induction period, not what they say at interview when they tell you that you will be supported, have a full two week induction period and will shadow colleagues. None of that happened and I was pushed from day 1. Wasn't provided with any equipment to work from home which resulted in me not being paid when I was told to isolate because I had been in contact with someone AT WORK who had tested positive for COVID-19. No negotiation at all, was simply told that I couldn't work! Just because I am a agency worker, does not mean I should be treated any differently to the permanent staff. They pushed me to start on a date and then told me my equipment wouldn't be ready for at least another month! Very unfair treatment which put me in a really bad financial position and that was only the start of it! They played Russian Roulette with my wages every week, had to get out of there for not only financial reasons but also for my sanity! Micro managed all the time, daily calls asking what I had done, being told that if I don't put my visits on the system straight away I wouldn't be paid! Bear in mind I had no induction or training and this started on my second week of actually working there and that the permanent staff members were not even doing this! Bullying management style, bad service organisation, no support and -

Pros

Cons

Bullying management, issues with pay and bad organisation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Manchester City Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement