Manchester Metropolitan University

Manchester Metropolitan University Employee Reviews

Great staff teams and management. Lots of opportunities for internal progression too. Bery much appreciated and looked after whilst working and there isn't anyone I don't get along with.
Pros
Valued, great staff teams
Senior management very poor and uncaring. Working at MMU, you are not valued, apart from by your colleagues, who for the most part are supporting and cordial. The culture is one of senior management wanting their ‘pound of flash’, and more, yet promotions and pay enhancements are very difficult, as goalposts are constantly moved. There is also a constant strive for innovations and as such senior managers are prone to introduce new processes and procedures without any form of consultation, leaving staff frustrated and oftentimes stressed. Having worked in several HE institutions, I would say MMU is the worst managed and least caring. If you opt to take a position at MMU, be prepared for your workload to increase annually, while your salary stagnates!
Pros
Colleagues, some facilities, some flexibility in working hours
Cons
Poor management, no real progression opportunities, constantly changing work environment, stressful
I had a wonderful experience at Manchester Metropolitan University. It has a wonderful atmosphere, campus, environment, support network, staff and resources. I loved it and enjoyed being there.
Pros
Good staff, resources and environment. Fun, good mix of busy and relaxed, supportive. Pay. Benefits.
Cons
Can be a bit busy, noisy and exhausting being in the city centre. Tricky to commute to!
Nice place to work. good work life balance salary is ok flexible start and finish times relaxed dress code lots of annual leave teams are generally pointing in the right direction
It was a very relaxed environment to work in. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hours were extremely flexible which meant it was the ideal job to work in while at University. It fitted in with my deadlines and exams.
Met lovely people and gained a wide range of experience. the role consisted of calling previous students who educated on me on their experiences at university.
FUN! good and relaxed. presented to colleagues and children. lots of fun and free lunches too. like it alot. good university and good students around.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Great place to work and study! Been with MMU for over 4 years and it has been a wonderful place to study events and do some work on the side as well! Recommend!
MMU is a hornets’ nest of office politics in management & a merciless slog for everyone else. Working here left me with severe burnout & clinical depression.
Pros
Ordinary colleagues are lovely
Cons
Insane pace of work for everyone & idiotic game playing in management.
No PROPER work training given Very stressful working environment disorganized no proper job description given that does not add up with real job working conditions
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Manchester Metropolitan University?
Seems that if you arent a teacher or a management you are trod on and not looked after and are the first to be sacrificed. Even if you have worked there for years.
A customer facing role with technical and maintenance aspects. The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers who have lost equipment, hadn't realise the value of the equipment and are expected to reimburse the university for the loss. The most satisfying part is seeing the expression on someone face when you have helped someone solve their problem. Being part of a team is essential.
Great student job to run alongside university, with Flexible hours. The managers were great and we received good training sessions for before going out into the field. Nice team to work in.
Typical day: productive, busy What I've developed: time management, communication skills Workplace culture: collaborative Most enjoyable part of the job: Staff, teamwork, confidence in own skills and abilities
I enjoyed the experience, I was doing a manual menial task job in a learning environment. So my experience may not reflect yours. I was made redundant From Hollings Faculty.
Pros
Working with highly trained staff
Cons
The washing up
I worked on a short term contract as a placement administrator. I was made very welcome, everyone was patient while I trained, the building and facilities were excellent and the management team supportive and friendly. My colleagues were all lovely and MMU is pretty good with flexible working - great for working parents. It was a friendly and professional environment and I liked it a lot. I left to pursue a different career path but I’ll always be grateful to MMU. I went there after working in a toxic, trade union environment where bullying was rife, and MMU restored my faith in fair and decent managers! I’d work for them again!
Amazing work environment, friendly, supportive. Great opportunities to enhance skills and emphasis on development. Good management teams and flexible working hours.
A wonderful place and a highly valued quality of research and teaching. The teaching stuff are on top and the environment is highly suitable for a good R&D career
Had a fun time working with a very diverse team. The leaders were very supportive and helpful. Very prompt with any kind of complaints or grievances. Highly Recommend.
MMU is a very busy IT support place to work with. You keep on repeating more over same stuff which restrict learning. Management here are highly professional.
Working for the university provided me with the ability to gain work experience which could help me in my future career and to gain confidence to travel where I've never been to before, meet new people and work in a teaching environment,