Manchester Metropolitan University

United Kingdom131 reviews

Insights into Manchester Metropolitan University

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Short term contractWas always meant to be a maternity coverWas left to run project as I thought best

Maternity coverShort term contract to implement a new system across many departments / schools Was always allowed to run project at my own pace as long as milestones met

Good place to work as student

Quite relaxed, they are quite open to provide you the training and it’s not as stressful at the start. After training you are pushed to deal with things yourself but all the help is available. It’s to make you more confident with the role

Pros

Good pay, relaxed

Cons

Long hours, repetitive work

VC led , centralised power base

A successful university Not the place for researchers - students focused on business Major decisions made centrally and then ripple down to all staff. Large classes and some tedious work since sessions will need to be repeated. Overall a good, positive work placeScope for personal growth

Pros

Overall collaborative

Cons

Lots of assignment marking, some individual managers are not the best!

Ancienne Stagiaire fin d'études au Laboratoire de Recherche sur les Matériaux - S4

Au sein du département de recherche sur les nanotubes de carbone j'ai pu effectuer mon stage de fin d'année de BUT anciennement appelé IUT. Au cours de l'année 2010 j'ai reçu la bourse du crous sur critère sociaux (échelon 5), un supplément de bourse à la mobilité internationale du crous de 400€/mois pendant la durée du stage de 3 mois soit 1200€, et un complément de la Mairie de Paris de 150€.

Pros

Restaurant Universitaire à prix élevé

Cons

Pas d'avantages en Nature

Great staff teams and management. Lots of opportunities for internal progression too. Bery much appreciated and looked after whilst working and there isn't anyone I don't get along with.

Pros

Valued, great staff teams

Poor management and few opportunities for advancement

Senior management very poor and uncaring. Working at MMU, you are not valued, apart from by your colleagues, who for the most part are supporting and cordial. The culture is one of senior management wanting their ‘pound of flash’, and more, yet promotions and pay enhancements are very difficult, as goalposts are constantly moved. There is also a constant strive for innovations and as such senior managers are prone to introduce new processes and procedures without any form of consultation, leaving staff frustrated and oftentimes stressed. Having worked in several HE institutions, I would say MMU is the worst managed and least caring. If you opt to take a position at MMU, be prepared for your workload to increase annually, while your salary stagnates!

Pros

Colleagues, some facilities, some flexibility in working hours

Cons

Poor management, no real progression opportunities, constantly changing work environment, stressful

My favourite place to have worked so far!

I had a wonderful experience at Manchester Metropolitan University. It has a wonderful atmosphere, campus, environment, support network, staff and resources. I loved it and enjoyed being there.

Pros

Good staff, resources and environment. Fun, good mix of busy and relaxed, supportive. Pay. Benefits.

Cons

Can be a bit busy, noisy and exhausting being in the city centre. Tricky to commute to!

relaxed with great work life balance

Nice place to work. good work life balance salary is ok flexible start and finish times relaxed dress code lots of annual leave teams are generally pointing in the right direction

relaxed and flexible

It was a very relaxed environment to work in. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hours were extremely flexible which meant it was the ideal job to work in while at University. It fitted in with my deadlines and exams.

Had a lot of fun and gained experience

Met lovely people and gained a wide range of experience. the role consisted of calling previous students who educated on me on their experiences at university.

Fun

FUN! good and relaxed. presented to colleagues and children. lots of fun and free lunches too. like it alot. good university and good students around.

Pros

free lunches

University

Great place to work and study! Been with MMU for over 4 years and it has been a wonderful place to study events and do some work on the side as well! Recommend!

A cog in a wheel

MMU is a hornets’ nest of office politics in management & a merciless slog for everyone else. Working here left me with severe burnout & clinical depression.

Pros

Ordinary colleagues are lovely

Cons

Insane pace of work for everyone & idiotic game playing in management.

Bad Management

No PROPER work training given Very stressful working environment disorganized no proper job description given that does not add up with real job working conditions

Seems that if you arent a teacher or a management you are trod on and not looked after and are the first to be sacrificed. Even if you have worked there for years.

Demanding and fast paced

A customer facing role with technical and maintenance aspects. The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers who have lost equipment, hadn't realise the value of the equipment and are expected to reimburse the university for the loss. The most satisfying part is seeing the expression on someone face when you have helped someone solve their problem. Being part of a team is essential.

Great student job

Great student job to run alongside university, with Flexible hours. The managers were great and we received good training sessions for before going out into the field. Nice team to work in.

Productive and fun workplace

Typical day: productive, busy What I've developed: time management, communication skills Workplace culture: collaborative Most enjoyable part of the job: Staff, teamwork, confidence in own skills and abilities

Learning environment

I enjoyed the experience, I was doing a manual menial task job in a learning environment. So my experience may not reflect yours. I was made redundant From Hollings Faculty.

Pros

Working with highly trained staff

Cons

The washing up

Modern, friendly, supportive, inclusive

I worked on a short term contract as a placement administrator. I was made very welcome, everyone was patient while I trained, the building and facilities were excellent and the management team supportive and friendly. My colleagues were all lovely and MMU is pretty good with flexible working - great for working parents. It was a friendly and professional environment and I liked it a lot. I left to pursue a different career path but I’ll always be grateful to MMU. I went there after working in a toxic, trade union environment where bullying was rife, and MMU restored my faith in fair and decent managers! I’d work for them again!

Manchester Metropolitan University

Amazing work environment, friendly, supportive. Great opportunities to enhance skills and emphasis on development. Good management teams and flexible working hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Manchester Metropolitan University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2