Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust

Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom33 reviews

Very happy working in some areas of the hospital,but not all.

Good and bad place to work.some departments a great place to work,others not so good.great when they are properly staffed,over worked when not,as you have to do your jobs,then do the work off others that arent there.

Pros

3 long days, which is good

Cons

Under staffed usually

Progression opportunities

This trust has plenty of progression opportunities, and has so many different fields of nursing you can go in it. I am leaving as it’s a long commute to where I have moved too, which is a shame.

Fast paced NHS Trust

This Trust is a continually expanding NHS Hospital Trust with a proven record of being a good employer . Staff have the opportunity to further develop themselves

Pros

Experienced supporting staff

Cons

Long hours travel parking

Poor Management

Poor management that talk down to you with not much respect. There is no confidentiality between management and staff. As soon as you get in you are busy until the time you leave with no breaks except for lunch at your desk, so no downtime. Constantly watched to make sure you are doing the standard amount of work each day.Some of the staff are nice and will help you with questions as they understand how it can be difficult for new staff.Majority of staff are female making the environment dynamics a struggle.Management not had training to line manage, just acquired more authority over time so no empathy or flexibility towards staff.Decided to leave before self-esteem, confidence and mental health were no longer present. Not a great environment to work in as the role is conducted in an intense way.The hardest part of the job is trying to fit in. The best part of the job is some of the colleagues.Told off over trivia and the language used is not very positive which then makes the situation awkward

Pros

Holiday entitlement

Cons

No breaks

worse place to work management horrible lower grade staff friendly

worse place to work for management horrible lower grade staff friendly but 5 or above just be careful of some of them they make out there your friend but behine your back calling you bad names

Pros

Cons

used like a slave

Terrible workplace

I worked for this trust for 2.5years and as a newly qualified nurse I was extremely shocked at such poor management. The higher the ranking the less respect for the person. They do not care about you in any way shape or form. Can’t believe I thought this was the norm. I have recently moved jobs and cannot believe how unhealthy MFT, leaving this diabolical trust was the best thing I have ever done.Do not recommend this trust.

Challenging workplace

I was working in the Informatics Department, a fast paced project based department. Management tended to be reactionary rather than proactive in dealing with a lot of issues and potential issues. Lots of politics at the top.

Pros

Nhs, Public sector pensions

Cons

Management politics

Medical Secretary (Wythenshawe)

Very stressful, never enough staff, as non-clinical staff there are no opportunities for career development/progression. The car parking is shocking! Your assigned a manager and never have any dealings with them, so your treated unfairly by those a band above you! Some staff are made to do a lot more than others and it is a very clicky place to work.

Immersive Placement

This work experience placement gave me an insightful understanding of the day-to-day occurrences on a hospital geriatric ward. My day consisted of shadowing care staff and keeping patients company.

Overly political management

Management are overly officious and rule through a culture of bullying. Staff morale is very low and staff turnover is very high. Little or no encouragement for personal development.

Problematic yet worthwile workplace

Quality of work enjoyment varies between all departments and across all levels. personally I have struggled to find opportunities as regression and felt looked down upon for being a clerk, but at the same time have felt appreciated from other members off staff. Has its problems as all work places do but would recommend working there

Successful Temporary Assignment

Supportive management interesting work.Nice rest rooms.Good transport links.Nice Offices.Very busy place.Pleasant working conditions.Wouls like to go back.

Knowledgeable and Active

Working as a volunteer at the Central Manchester Hospitals has exposed me to a wide range of people. A typical day includes me greeting people and patients to offer any services they require but mainly giving directions and assistance in a polite, caring and understanding manner. I love meeting new people and being able to help people, even if it is just to give directions. Sometimes it can be difficult to think fast when there are multiple people that need assistance or if the person is late for an appointment for example, but it is manageable.

Rewarding work with patients and students. Great colleagues, poor management

A day at work began with the timetable I had created for myself. Mostly this involved teaching sessions varying from 1 to 3 hours. There might have been 3 of these throughout a typical day, the rest of the time was spent in administration and assisting my colleagues. Some days I travelled by car to deliver teaching at other hospitals in our group. Learnt how I loved teaching and developed good relationships. Was not greatly supported by management who were not medical and i think resented the professionals. The hardest part of the job was supporting students who had failed their exams. The most enjoyable part was steering the students to qualification and seeing them achieve this.

Fun and relaxed environment

Although a major trauma centre it is deceptively relaxed at times due to the full staffing rota and resources available. the team is always fun and relaxed but are relatively young, yet they remain professioanl and seek to provide the best service.

Worked here for the past 12 years but its changing fast. Under funded, over worked underpaid.

Very understanding management and flexible with family life but the place really takes it toll on your health with pressure to perform a millions duties at once.

Difficult place to fit into.

On starting my role I wasn't able to fit in with the management. Left various messages for an introduction to the team and was ignored. I was kind and polite. But felt uncomfortable and there was a feeling of not being trusted. As well as jealousy amoung other female staff. I arrived earlier than expected to start work and was talked down too by a nurse. Whom obviously did not know my experience. I still feel now that I don't have a voice to communicate my feelings confidentially without other members of the team gossiping behined my back. I have shown support and given my number to the nurse in question. Showing her my loyality and was treated like a minor and left out of meetings and called different names by various staff. Whom think it's a joke. I have also encounter staff whom don't take there job seriously and made mistakes due to watching the tennis or constantly using their phone's.

Pros

Free lunch. But had to use my free time to listen to there point of veiws yet again

Cons

Supporting individuals through. Tough times and showing them compassion. Without judgement.

Overworked and undervalued

managers refuse to hire on more staff, pushing too much work on people, regulary remaking teams to handle whatever is the most urgent topic at hand, often putting an unfair workload on temps(such as myself) who dont receive training meaning meaning staff turnover isd high even for permenent positions. Job culture is to basically stay on topic with managers regualry coming over with more work or complaining when enough isn't done, any attempt to converse is often put down within a couple of mintues unless its work related. BIggest issue i had was that Ideas to improve are taken by management and either ignored or overused to an extent people begged for things to stay as they were All in all the only upside to working in this office was that the hours were flexible though overtime was pretty much a nessescity if you hoped to handle the workload, especilly for untrained temps

Pros

flexible working hours

Cons

poor management

Best place to work

Previous employee of wythenshawe maternity. The best team to work with ever. Really busy but team work is brilliant. Moved elsewhere now but still miss it everyday. Would not hesitate in recommending here as a place of work. Ul meet friends for life. Just dont take all the jobs incase i ever come back 😉

Pros

The teamwork, fun, variety, experience, autonomy of midwives, birth centre, labour rooms

Cons

No social places near the hospital, but that can be sorted! Very busy. Paying for staff carparking

Good patient care

Good patient care few opportunities to progress for administrative staff good working hours enjoy patient contact good induction good services (employee health & well being, stress management etc)

Fast paced working environment

Very busy, fast paced working environment. There are many opportunities for training and personal development. Large workforce. Excellent staff benefits such as holiday entitlement and annual increment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4