Maria Mallaband Care Group
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Maria Mallaband Care Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom301 reviews

Good to work for.

I have worked for MMCG for a number of years and have for the majority thoroughly loved working for and with Maria Mallaband. The training and development is the best quality i have come across. The support teams have been mostly very supportive and the majority very approachable. It terms of career advancement there are very clear paths for grades below Care Home Managers.

Poor management

3 months pregnant and management tried to force me to work whilst I contagious virus was going around! Refused me to have risk assessments carried out even with request from midwife! Poor support from management! Poor quality of care for residents more interested in the £1000s they charge for a week!! Poor food standards! Never work or even put a family member in these homes!

Insights into Maria Mallaband Care Group

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Great team of staff and residents allround

I have been working for this company for 1 month so far and I can’t fault any of my management or colleagues. The level of help and accommodation I have received from my job especially during these chaotic times due to COVID and everything that comes with it, management and nurses get stuck in when they are needed and if you’re ever feeling overwhelmed a chat with one of the nurses or being cheered up by a casual chat with a resident will be sure to help you find your feet again. I mentioned being overwhelmed due to still not being confident within myself after my shadow shifts had finished so my manager went out of her way to ensure I got more time to shadow. Cannot fault

Pros

Kitchen staff always offer food to staff for breaks, staff work well together

Cons

Long hours but doesn’t tend to drag in

10 May 2022
We appreciate the time you have taken to leave such a heartfelt review. The whole care sector has felt the impact of COVID and it really has made jobs harder for everyone. Thank you for mentioning how everyone has been stuck in at the homes as this shows great teamwork within the home. Management are always on hand for any extra support needed which is so important especially in this sector. Thank you again for taking the time to leave a positive review.

Most rewarding job

I worked at Carmel Lodge care home for a year, then relocated to Hope Green Care home. Can honestly say I miss working at both these care homes, one of the most rewarding jobs you could ask for. Amazing staff, made some brilliant work friendships which I will forever remember. Sadly due to travel staying with the company was becoming an issue, but if you are looking for a challenge, every day different and memories that you will hold on to type of job. Apply to work for these care homes. The people are amazing, caring and I can not thank all the management and workers for their support and friendship!

Pros

Caring, Friendships, Support, Training

Cons

Personal - Travel

30 March 2022
Thank you for leaving such a heartfelt review. We are sorry you had to leave due to travel reasons but if your circumstances change at all, please let our recruitment team know and we would be happy to help!

Not too bad

You work with good people. People are willing to teach you and give you time to get used to it. Working hours is flexible and the manager is very nice. But you need to served people with very different medical conditions which make you confused. You work in the floor with normal residents but suddenly change you to the floor with dementia, that makes you really confused as you are not easily get familiar with the residents and the residents don’t get familiar to you.

30 March 2022
Our homes are filled with caring staff and residents alike. Some of our homes do have multiple floors covering different medical needs but, all staff have full training and guidance to help them when moving about the home.

Stressful and fast paced

This company wasn’t too bad to work with but pay for was really low and working conditions were not great. The staff and colleagues form quite a tight knit family

30 March 2022
Thank you for leaving a review, we love to hear about homes becoming like family to residents and staff alike. We will be taking all comments on board regarding pay and working conditions and these will be looked into.

Stressfull and fast pace

Stressfull and fast pace environment, Management support you until you pass your probation period. they have good team work and the only thing that missing is more information on the process.

30 March 2022
Good team work is what we like to hear! We have recently introduced a new induction process now which allows staff to get to know more about the business, ask any questions they wish and feel more confident going into their new roles.

Bad management

Really bad management, no one cares about the staff or people there. If you have a problem and try to speak with them, nobody is there for you. `i was trying so many times via email, or face to face to speak with them ... they just ignored me ...like I'm not there. I think that is enough. Big-name but not good management, the money is the only thing they care about.

30 March 2022
We are sorry to hear about your experience with us at MMCG as this is not how we operate. Please feel free to send across a detailed email to recruitment@mmcg.co.uk.

Very good Company to work and progress

I have started off as a Senior Care Assistant and progress all the way towards the Home Manager, - Company is supportive, responsive and welcoming to work for. As a senior we tent to work 12 hrs shifts sometimes half days but we than get more time off in a week - bonus.Staff are welcoming - its a hard work as a Senior or a care assistant, but rewarding. Community and residents is the most rewarding part of the job looking after people and being needed. its hard and stressful at times but you also have great time laugh and building great friendships.

Pros

Great community of staff and residents are lovely

Cons

Pay for staff could be increased

30 March 2022
We love to hear about success stories from staff at MMCG - thank you for sharing! Providing opportunities for staff to progress in their careers is something we pride ourselves on.

Poor

Bad practices carried out by staff. No proper induction or training given. Management do not care for staff and their well-being. It is common to work over your contracted hours and you will be bullied into taking on extra hours.

Pros

Cannot think of any pros

Cons

Long hours, no training or induction. No proper work ethos and lack of empathy across board

30 March 2022
We are sorry to hear about your issues at MMCG. We have introduced a new induction process now so all new staff will be able to learn more about the business and ask any questions before they start in their roles. We will be looking into all comments made and you can always email us at recruitment@mmcg.co.uk

Excellent company to guide and support personal growth

I have worked with the company for almost 10 years, they have provided nothing but support guidance and the qualifications to work from in experienced carer to a home manager, anyone wanting career progression Maria Mallaband is the company to be with.

Pros

Extensive training

30 March 2022
Thank you for posting such a positive review - we love hearing that staff are staying with us for such a long period of time and working up the career ladder. We put a lot into our training programmes ensuring everyone can join no matter their learning styles.

Stressful, un-motivating

The only thing good about working this job are the residents, and the fact you can get free lunch at times. The carers and everyone else that work there have no respect in regards to the way they speak to you. I have never felt welcome. Especially because I’m the youngest that work there I feel like you get underestimated and looked down upon. A handful of my colleagues are lovely though however a lot of them (mostly carers) are so rude. Most of the time you dread going in and have 0 motivation because of the way the company is ran

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Bad pay, poor management, negative atmosphere

30 March 2022
Thank you for leaving a review, we are sorry to hear about your experience at the home. Please send us an email across to recruitment@mmcg.co.uk so this can be passed on. No one in our homes should feel that way and it will be looked into.

Not a nice place to work

Poor management and poor work ethic from some staff members . I wanted to really progress do my care certificate, nvq but no help to go so even though it was promised on interview .

Cons

Didn’t always get breaks unless you smoked and you got plenty

30 March 2022
All our staff should be offered the opportunity to progress in their careers - I hope this issue was raised with your HR Manager at the time so they could help. Please feel free to send across an email so this can be looked at in more detail - recruitment@mmcg.co.uk

Over worked and under paid.

Expected to do the job of double the staff by your self. Under paid for the amount of stuff you are told you must do. People speak to others with NO respect at all. Management don't have a clue half the time. What a joke this place is. DO NOT APPLY for your own sake. You will only want to leave like most of the staff.

Pros

Amazing residents. Taxi paid on Christmas day.

Cons

Long days. Management don't have a clue. To many contradictions. No respect. Poorly paid.

30 March 2022
Thank you for leaving a review - We have unfortunately had some staffing issues due to COVID measures which have had to be put in place and also across the festive period. We appreciate the hard work all our staff have put in during these times to ensure our residents have still received the best care. January has seen a huge peak in recruitment meaning our staffing levels have now gone back to normal. We have also introduced flexible hours meaning, we can work around you. Some people prefer working 12 hour days to get more time off but others prefer shorter days to fit around home life...we cater to you.Thank you

Needs proper management

Not great place. Management needs changing.only good thing is the pay which is higher for a reason and that reason isn't great. Do as I say and not as I do culture.

30 March 2022
Thank you for leaving a review, I hope your HR manager was aware of your feelings at the time so something could be done to change this?Please feel free to send an email to recruitment@mmcg.co.uk so we can look into this.

Busy, fast paced and professional

I am a new member of staff and have really enjoyed my first few weeks. Having worked in care for many years, and very happily in one company for 8 years, I am relieved to have found a professional company with excellent values and good atmosphere, after horrendous experiences in the last 3 companies I have worked for.

Pros

Good team and lovely environment

Cons

Salary and annual leave

30 March 2022
It is great to hear you have settled in well to your new role with us at MMCG. We pride ourselves on our values so thank you for mentioning these and as for atmosphere in the homes, this is all down to our amazing members of staff who are so positive about their roles.

Awful

Good if you like to be underpaid and not respected at all, no benefits.... absolutely shocking HR team, spoke down to all staff and treated all staff like they know nothing.

Pros

Cons

Long hours Underpaid So much bullying that isn't dealt with

30 March 2022
Thank you for leaving a review - to help us look into this, please can you send a detailed email to recruitment@mmcg.co.uk

Exhausting

This company will drain the life out of you. Long tiring shifts with minimal rushed breaks. I am literally on my knees at the end of the day.HR have a hire and fire culture, any mistakes will be filtered down the line and be the fault of the care assistant. The blame game!

Pros

Some lovely residents whom you never have time to spend quality time with.

Cons

Worked like a horse.

30 March 2022
Thank you for leaving a review - we are sorry to hear about your time with us. Many changes have happened within the business in the past few months including ensuring all staff have a healthy work life balance. We will be looking into your comments but please feel free to email us at recruitment@mmcg.co.uk

Productive and physically demanding

The Long shifts. Up to 13 hours long. Short staffed most of the time. Very fast paced. And stressful. Good opportunity to progress within the company.

Pros

Free lunches

20 December 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Our aim is to help all our members of staff grow and develop into the roles they want to be in. We have just changed our contracts so you can tell us the hours you wish to work as we know some people like to work 12 hours shifts whereas other prefer 8 hours. We are hoping this new drive for flexibility will increase our applications as the care industry as a whole has been hit unfortunately with lack of applications.

Progressive and supportive employer

First class company to work for. Excellent benefits.They really want the best for the residents and staff, providing equipment, insensitive , career progression and training. Senior management are supportive, giving staff time and support.

Pros

Excellent rates of pay

20 December 2021
Thank you for leaving a 5* review! We aim to offer a good service for our residents and a good place to work for our staff so it is great you have pointed these out. Our benefits are carefully thought about to ensure they are benefits people will use. We value our staff and want them to progress as far as they can so offer fully funded training and career progression programmes.

Running on empty

When I joined it was a good place to work. However, the place ended up running on agency staff, who 90% of the time had never worked in a care setting before and had no idea how to do the job!!!! The old management left, there's now only one regular nurse left , as after one particularly bad shift, I was so fearful about the situation I was in, and this stressed me out big time. I went home that night in tears and couldn't think of going back.Quite a few carers joined and left in the short time I was there. Very small levels of staff to care for mostly totally dependent people. Furniture and fittings were shabby /broken and few staff had time to interact properly with the resident's, they deserved better. And yes a letter of complaint went in, received a token telephone apology a couple of weeks afterwards. Shame.

Pros

Character residents! Some great carers.

Cons

Few regular staff. Unsafe for nurses at times. Abysmal agency workers.

16 November 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we are sorry to hear that you haven’t had the best experience with us. Unfortunately, we have had to use agency staff more than we would have liked due to increased demand and the pandemic. We have, however, introduced several things to help us change this. Our new Talent Acquisition team are on hand to recruit for hard working and knowledgeable staff to help take care of our residents. Our recruitment process has been revamped to make it easier for candidates to show their interest in working for MMCG. These two combined are already helping us reduce our agency numbers and this will continue. Your feedback is important and helps us see clearly where changes still need to be made.Thank you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maria Mallaband Care Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement