Marie Curie

Marie Curie Employee Reviews

Management are excellent at supporting you with any concern you may have or find whilst working, uniform & all PPE provided, good mileage allowance and lovely patients to look after . Plenty of training and some progressions are possible .
Pros
Mileage allowance
Cons
Mileage is sometimes rural and challenging at night
It is a good cause, you are helping your local community, and recycling clothing.The management is terrible. There is pressure to meet your targets and when it come to staff there is never enough. There is always a problem when you want to take your holiday. The pay is not great.
Pros
Helping your local community
Cons
Management and pay
Bad area management....No support if needed.....Lack of communication from h/o...poor pay....workload heavy. Often involves working alone...without lunch...no encouragement or incentives from upper management
Pros
Lovely customers, lovely shop floor staff
Cons
Lack of communication a/m upwards
Regularly expected to work in shops 20 miles away. Culture of unpaid extra work. No support for staff from area manager. Minimum wage for assistant manager job very demoralising for the responsibility you have. Spring shifts on you the day before. Expected to lone work regularly if no volunteers can be found. Expected to serve on till, steam clothes in the back room and put clothes out in shop all at the same time, dangerous working practice and told off if you fall behind. Would not recommend.
Pros
Wonderful charity, really helps people in their time of need
Cons
No support, demoralising low pay, unsafe working practices
As manager i oversaw the whole running of the shop including recruitment of volunteers- I loved each and ever day working for the charity and felt each day like I was making a difference
Pros
New challenges ever day
Cons
Long hours at times
I’ve been working for Marie curie for nearly 5 years I love it management are fantastic very helpful, plenty of shifts available and the patients are lovely to be with, you learn a lot about end of life care and what it feels like to make a difference to your patients with the care you provide. You meet some lovely people, you are also a lone worker and have to think on your feet a lot when needed. People call us the Marie curie angels now I can see why. I can honestly say I love my job and I’m proud to be part of the Marie curie family and hopefully continue to work for them for many years to come.
Pros
Fantastic management, good team, and the patients making difference to them.
Cons
It might bother some being Lone worker but I like it.
Management could be better more open Could be more approachableInduction good and informativeSalary good compared to other support givers It's not what you think it's going to be.
Pros
Salary good. helping people
Cons
Nights
Hi I use to do a couple of days week doing voluntary work. I loved it every one was so friendly and I got along with everyone, worked by myself sometimes or with others.I was always learning you new jobs or tasks to do.
Pros
You got free drinks, or there cake or biscuit or fruit.
I worked at Marie Curie for 2 years as a Manager. I enjoyed my time working for this company. The pay isn't the best over all the charities but working with nice staff/volunteers/managers makes up for that. I left due to redundancy.
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
Pay
Dispite me constantly telling the Manager the sites were often unsuitable they kept sending me back . The worst ones were Doctors surgeries, there were just to few people
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Marie Curie?
Marie Curie was a very calming and lovely place to work. My typical day at work was just to organise and place tags on the clothes. What i learnt is hard work, as the work itself is very tiring considering the fact that you're not paid. The hardest part would be that is that I had to stand up for couple of hours without sitting down and it gets extremely exhausting. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you are making a difference and helping out.
I love working at Marie Curie, its a very relaxed atmosphere. I love the customers and my volunteers are brilliant too! I work 9.30 to 5.30, which is great, but after cashing up, tidying up etc I don't leave until 6.30 at times. I live local, so this this job is ideal. The only downfall about this job isprogressthat there is no opportunity to
Pros
very relaxed atmosphere
Cons
not enough money on as a Sunday manager
Love working for them would not of left but travel was difficult lots of back up managment team know how to work and get best out of people very well supported by all management team and you feel you are appreciated regular staff meetings regular contacted
Pros
Love worth wil job satisfaction
Cons
All well tranid
I learnt a lot of new skills volunteering with marie curie. Great staff and management. Friendly staff who were very helpful and took great care in their work. The customers were always grateful of the work i done there. I would definatly consider going back in the right circumstances.
I love my job at Marie Curie, it is so rewarding to care for patients in their own homes at the end of their life, the salary for a night shift is good. The management are so helpful and always at the end of the phone.
As a volunteer I found it a Great place to build retail experience and all the staff were lovely, you could also choose witch day you wanted to work and how many days.
Pros
training given
Cons
very busy all the time.
just as normal as any retail environment. The thing I most took away from my time was how important up to date information manuals really are. The hardest part of my job was getting the manager to share duties and use me as an assistant rather than keep everything to themselves. this only left them so stressed they were difficult to work with.
I volunteered for Marie Curie as they are a very worthwhile cause looking after people at the end of their life. I found them to be professional and courteous and I would volunteer for them again.
I have been a fundraising volunteer through the great daffodil appeal in Lancashire between February and will continue until the first Saturday in April when the last collection is in Clitheroe
Pros
Work as part of a team and learn from customers how they have benefitted from the charity.
Cons
What normally happened was people came donated clothes some came in to look at the clothes we had.the most enjoyable experience was talking to new people listening to their interesting stories
Very nice place to work, every day is different, fast paced environment to work, give you all the training and support you need, an pleasure to work for, I would definitely recommend
Pros
Brillaint support
Cons
Sunday assistant manager is not enough hours unless you get over time
  1. Employee reviews