Marie Curie

Marie Curie Employee Reviews

United Kingdom418 reviews

mariecharityvolunteertillshoporganisationlovelydonation

Lovely patient's and families

Great organisation to work for shame about my manager. That's why I left. I believe this issue has now been resolved. Highly recommended organisation to work for although you have to very comfortable working alone at nights. Good mileage allowance. Extremely rewarding role, lovely patient's and very appreciative families.

Nights only

This role is for nights only. Just worked over 4 years with this company. This role can be very depressing but at the same time very rewarding. Being a lone worker and nights is very hard.

Insights into Marie Curie

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Enjoyable and inclusive place to work

I have been working at Marie Curie in the Southwest Team for the last 7 months and I’ve really enjoyed my time there. The local team is really forward thinking and cares for the their patients and staff. I’ve been able to maintain a positive work life balance plus there’s loads of opportunities for qualifications and development for every role.

Pros

Great team, development opportunities

Alot of work pay is basic

Learning something new everyday Requires a lot of attention to detail. Need to be able to multi task. Busy service. Very demanding job. Does burn you out. You have to be able to use different softwares.p

Not a good place to work as a cleaner

If you come to work at this hospice do not become a cleaner, other staff are extremely demeaning and you feel like you're constantly walking on eggshells.

friendly and helpful.

good training, lovely clients and staff. mainly night work. get lots of rest. learning is on going. job is not hard. enjoyable part of job is seeing clients happy with your care for there loved ones.

Genuinely not ONE happy member of staff.

Pay is poor, management is dire. They do not care about their shop staff, only the bottom line. Work/home life balance is not something they are aware of. You would be expected to drop everything if there was an issue and they regularly tell staff they cannot take pre booked holidays due to lack of cover. I have never met or spoke with so many staff or volunteers that were so unhappy in their workplace.

Pros

Paid job.

Cons

Long hours, no appreciation

Don't know

Every work place has good and bad it how you are mansge and if there is no Manager from you culture back ground , and nor been supported l am leaving after many years I send an email to my manager to inform her that I will be leaving it has been over 4 weeks with no reply,I have 2 more week the I will be finishing so for me can I rate MC yes but not management

Pros

Enjoy the work

Cons

Travelling to different post code in London every shift some time an be over 8 miles at night

Varied, challenging, fun

Great place to work. Varied & challenging work, but rewarding. Plenty of training opportunities available. Great line manager who supports and appreciates you.

Pros

Fun, varied, interesting

Cons

Not enough time!

Calm and quiet

It’s calm in the admin office most days ,as long as you do your allocations and update service user’s profiles on time your good . Nice people nice area !

Pros

Quiet most days

Cons

None really

Retail

Ģood charity to work for. Career progression available if you want it. Senior team value and appreciate you. Lots of support available if needed. Training available to develop yourself.

Amazing Organisation - shocking management

The work Marie Curie do is truly amazing and you cannot fault the work the Health Care Assistants do in their communities. However the management structure varies greatly from region to region with some areas being truly shocking. There is a tendency towards micro managing and if your face doesn't fit, "your cards are marked". Another negative is that there are no career progression opportunities for the Health Care Assistants. The most they can do is train to train Moving & Handling, or Basic Life Support.

Pros

You help terminally ill patients and their families.

Cons

Some of the most shocking management I've ever come across.

If you want to get on in there make sure you get well in with management and ward sisters otherwise they treat you like dirt especially two of them

Terrible place to work as staff are very clicky out of four ward sisters there’s two decent ones the other two are Bully’s One more then the other but because there friends they follow each otherCertain staff that get themselves well in with ward sisters get all the best hours normally night shifts where there’s more money to earn do not even think about working here staff are not nice

Pros

Cons

Horrible ward sisters

Excellent place to work

Lovely people who truly care. My managers between 2015 and 2020 were amazing people. The support given to staff was amazing. The team in Derbyshire are true angels.

Cons

Toxic environment. Management are not helpful

Toxic atmosphere. No chances to stretch yourself. Unequal opportunities. Management that bully staff. Multi disciplinary team nice to work in. Too many people that have been here for years and some get away with giving bad care. Canteen is awful with horrible processed foods . Some mad HCAs.

Pros

Free car park

Cons

Toxic place. Management are uncaring towards staff and treat them very badly

Volunteer

I volunteered many years ago. It was okay but I thought that it was quite rude demanding that a volunteer makes coffee/tea for you. It's an easy way to gain work experience.

Pros

Can gain work experience

Cons

They forgot that you are only a volunteer

Productive and fun workplace

Worked with lots of nice people no two days are the same job involved opening closing ensuring shop was full sorting donations that donors brought in

Pros

Discount

Excellent place to work

Fair management. Pay is good.Good staff benefits. Plenty of time given to patients. Within reason you can choose your working days. Once set your rota doesn't change so you can easily plan your life around work.Provided with a car during work hours.

Pros

Caring organisation with weekend enhancements to pay and decent annual leave given.

Cons

It depends on what department you're in

Bad senior management and bullying culture took place whilst I was here. Suggestions for improvements not taken seriously or responded to by certain management - often ignored in general. No real progression or solid praise unless you was happy to sit back and not speak up against certain management berating and putting down colleagues. Certain management lacked empathy towards colleagues and their circumstances, especially during the pandemic Huge staff turnover and alot of sickness including long term sickness Dealing with bereaved supports on phone was very difficult at times.You need to learn alot of processes in this role which can pile on the pressure and depending on how fast you learn, it could take upto 6 months. This department could be amazing if staff were listened to more and the bullying were addressed alot sooner. Training was quite good - for the most part I had a positive experience with the deputy team managers. They tried to adapt to your learning style. Despite the ever changing turnover I had wonderful colleagues - best people ever. A great organisation who do really help those who need support. I spoke to many wonderful supporters on the phone and I did feel I was helping them which made the job worthwhile. Certain management were supportive and it never went unnoticed. An average day would be taking donations over the telephone and processing post/cheques, flagging calls to other departments, maintaining the database, sending out thank you letters to supporters, ad hoc administration processes. Whilst I learned alot at Marie Curie and -

Pros

Amazing colleagues, feels like you're helping people, sick pay

Cons

Bullying senior management, low salary, heavy workload, mentally challenging

Job extremely rewarding but company not caring towards staff

I was proud to work for Marie Curie and wear the uniform. The service they provide is amazing. The rate of pay is poor for was is entailed. Caring for people in their own homes can often mean travelling many miles in a 12 hr shift. 8am to 10pm with a break for lunch. It’s a very long day! With often 12 plus visits to make.You must enjoy driving in all weathers to do this job and getting lost in the dark in the middle of nowhere!!For a caring profession the staff are not always caring to each other.

Pros

Reputation of the name

Cons

Lots of driving

Rewarding, but not in the financial sense.

Very rewarding to help put care into place for end of life patients. Pay is very poor, no overtime paid and the more you give, the more they expect. Management is very poor, no one is accountable for anything. Problems and issues never resolved. Could be such a great place to work but if you value your time, energy and skills, do yourself a favor and go work for the NHS instead.

Pros

helping provide support to patients

Cons

very poor pay, no opportunities for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marie Curie. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Marie Curie with

Learn about Marie Curie in popular locations

• Marie Curie
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?