MARK WALKER (Grounds Maintenance) Ltd

What people like
  • Energising work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Inclusive work environment

Avoid at all costs !

Was an employer of marks for a good 4 years all sounds good in the interview, Made to believe you will go somewhere but in reality you’ll go nowhere if your face doesn’t fit. Management & supervisors are on a power trip they’re back stabbers with no honour. Not a spine among them. You are expected to work in the freezing cold & the blazing heat without an extra 5 or ten minutes here and there to gain some energy back if your caught your out. You will also be 100% expected to work overtime especially in the summer and more so in the winter as they clear snow and spread salt god forbid you have a life out of work or a family as this does not process in their minds. They quite simply don’t give a monkeys and expect you to follow the yes men. I would personally say avoid if you can as give it a few months and you’ll be depressed looking for a new job.

Pros

Uniform & PPE

Cons

Expected ( Made ) to do over time & winter gritting

Mark Walker Grounds Maintenance

I worked for Mark Walker for many years it was good to start with and just got worse over time. As some of these other reviews state it’s the kind of company if your face doesn’t fit your wanted out as such. Compulsory overtime in the summer and also in the winter a lot of reviews have missed this out. It’s a very fast paced environment and if your caught having a extra five minutes in the van your in trouble. A few people have gone back to work at the company and that’s because their face fits. I would personally avoid if you can as the ‘bad reviews’ are the truth and the good ones are the favourites. Be careful if you choose to work here.

Pros

Uniform & Lift to work

Cons

Long hours & winter overtime

well run gardening company

i worked for mark for 3 years and loved every second of it, i only left to start up on my own. without the experience i gained from the company i wouldnt of been able to go alone. its a shame bitter people leave bad reviews because it is very well run and management are helpful and understanding.

Pros

good tools and understanding management

Cons

working in the rain.

Excellent friendly family run company

I started on the tools at an entry level job. Based on my past work experience in hard landscaping and project planting i was quickly asked if i wanted to head a big planting job of over 1300 plants at a university new build in Chelmsford. Very happy with the trust they gave and communication and support was there the whole way through without any pressure or feeling like I was chucked in the deep end.with different sites and ranges of work from mowing to line marking, and weed control to Fertilizing football pitches.every day is different and in the past if I had any issues or problems the office staff have been so accommodating and caring to find a resolution.

Pros

Reward scheme to congratulate great work. Career progresion. Free uniform

Cons

Early starts on tuesdays ;P

Professionally run with career progression

I started as a groundsman and I was given training by some really knowledgeable supervisors. After a few months I was given more trust and responsibilities at a few of the sites. I was put through my spraying license by the company which was nice and it gave me more chance to develop. I then got entrusted onnride on mowers and I felt like I wouldn't have the skills and experience I have today without a good training plan.If I had to find a negative, I would say that I struggled with a minority of the groundsman on the team. They often seemed negative and always questioned what was asked, sometimes this spread amongst the team but those people often moved on elsewhere eventually.

Pros

Xmas staff outings, nice uniform, chance to develop if you care

Cons

Cold weather (UKs fault)

Would advise not to if you can.

Not very well run. Avoid if can. Don’t answer back or have your own knowledge because he didn’t like it. If you like doing dog bins and litter and fly tips and dirty nappy’s then this is the perfect job for you.

Pros

Old uniform

Cons

Some old uniform. Clocking in and out.

Avoid if you can

Worked here for many years, staff turnover is absolutely shocking. The boss & many members in management are control freaks. Avoid if you can unless you want to work like a robot.

amazing work place with the chance to improve knowledge of gardening

i have works for mark for many years, doing many different aspects of jobs and roles, the company have a nice and friendly bunch of staff that are always willing to help.

Pros

management always willing to help

A happy employee!

I applied to Mark Walker Grounds Maintenance for a role within the office. As a local company, I often saw their vans so knew of them. The application and interview were a straight forward process. After being told I was successful in securing a position, it was a month before I started due to working my notice with my current employer. During that month I was regularly contacted by Mark Walker and kept up to date regarding my start date. I enjoy my varied role, feel supported by my colleagues and senior management and very much part of the Mark Walker Grounds Maintenance family. The hardest part of my job has been learning about Grounds Maintenance but not being hands on myself. Many of the office team and management are long serving members of staff with extensive experience in grounds maintenance. They are always approachable and happy to answer any questions and provide demonstrations. I feel that during my time so far at MWGM, I have been given lots of opportunities to learn new skills and develop my existing skills. I'm happy at work and enjoy my working environment - no two days are the same! There is a good balance of fun and hard work in my workplace and I feel very much a part of contributing to the success of the company. I receive a fair salary for the role I do and feel secure in my employment.

Pros

becoming a better gardener!

Cons

none..yet!

Owner is a control freak. Don’t dare answer him back or run the risk of sacking

Contracts mean nothing at this place. Mark walker is an awful people person and uses him company to bully others. Doesn’t follow his own employee handbook. Avoid at all costs

Pros

Monday to friday

Cons

Management especially the owner himself

You’ll be treated like dirt.

Mark has hardly any involvement in the company. He’s just a fool for the useless management. Most employees have zero qualifications in GM but have massive ego’s. Stay clear from a badly ran company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MARK WALKER (Grounds Maintenance) Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement