Marks & Spencer

Marks & Spencer Employee Reviews

United Kingdom6,199 reviews

Found 6,199 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,038 reviews

Poor pay

M&S don't value their Store Managers as much as other retailers. They have a good work life balance but that is it really. They pay for an SM is average 34k

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Pay

Nice

It is a friendly workplace where you can have a nice talk with team members and discuss any personal problems you have with your manager and very nice people.

Insights into Marks & Spencer

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks

Awful management and treatment

Not a good place to work at all staff treat you like rubbish, no job security constantly on a temporary contract and they let you go with no warning, horrible place to work.

Productive yet a prestigious place to work

Great place including good benefits for the team however, I was continuously being accused about coming late to work when I would arrive at least 30 minutes earlier to the extent that I was going to bring my xmas timetable for proof of when I started my shifts. The hours manager during that time was very disrespectful towards me and my colleague but treated the rest of the team with respect. Being it both mine and my colleagues first job at the age of 16 it really shocked and disappointed us to be treated with such lack of discipline. Would not recommend to work in the food hall.

Pros

Friendly team

Cons

Pressurised and accused

Great pay and colleagues, awful management

Younger staff are just flung onto tills without training (or training on the rest of the store!) managers are too ‘busy’ to help, but breaks are great, co workers are lovely and 95% of customers are also wonderful

Okay Place to work

Fun whilst doing individual tasks, i loved being able to just get things done and onto the next. there’s always something to do. managers don’t care about you though and will do almost anything to make you uncomfortable

nothing

poor company to work for. poor management who don't have a clue how to manage their staff, you do not have much of a life working for this company, you are merely just a number to them nothing more.

I work in the Food Hall. I have all the information, and necessary tools to do my Job. The shifts are structured and rota based, and all colleagues do a different mix of duties in an average day; which I like because its fair, and never monotonous. Duties include: serving customers on the till or assisting them on self service. Stock replenishing. date expiry checking on all products daily. The Management team are conscientious, and supportive, and muck in and help on the shop floor regularly, also very approachable and adaptable.Flexible hours and good work/life balance, especially for parents/carers.Pay and benefits good. All round a great place to work.

Pros

Generous staff discount. Never a dull day

Cons

Nothing springs to mind.

Young people work all weekends

Get told they will look into the ludicrous contract you signed as a Christmas temp for months end up working every weekend late nights hard to have a social life and holidays always get declined

Lovely Place To Work

Very laid back, staff are all friendly, offer some great products, some of the work can be slightly tedious though when it comes to stock checks ect.

great team work , support and good management

quite fast paced but with good management and teams , they give you the tools to learn , balance between work and personal life . You feek free to ask questions and get help but also to provide your help to more than one departments . The only negative i would was the salary , due to the work load could have been better or at least to have some extra benefits .

Pros

teamwork, trainings, supportive

Cons

salary

Used to be good

Used to be a great company to work for.Your stuck on the tills all day and never enough staffManagers, are rarely on the sales floor. They give them selfs extended breaks. One of several hours when the coffee shop was closed having a gossip about other staff manager.They can’t manage the staffing , eg giving out too many holidays or the staffing board is never updated so we expecting ppl that have been given holidays etc.Putting added pressure on the other staff.

Management can be tough

Managers seemed to blame younger newer staff for everything. Cleaning store at the end of the day was rough. Pay was good. Could get stressful when long queues at tills and no one helps

Awful place

No balance whatsoever and the constant unknowing of whether your contract is actually getting kept on is to stressful. I do not recommend working here

Food hall experience

I worked on food hall. General day to day shop work. High expectations of working hours. First time working in retail and found my experience to be horrible. Hard to fit in with staff and management. Soon left after a small amount of time.

Pros

Easy to get a job

Cons

Staff

Negative experience, bad management

Sly with working hours and shifts, no care for staff. Not allowed to talk with one another. Stingy with money. Not worth the little amount of money you earn.

Just no.

The lack of knowledge by management on certain areas in the store, is highly frustrating, especially when they treat your section as the least important. It makes it feel like the work and physical strain is pointless.

All supermarket jobs are the same

Every shop likes to say we are better. We do more. We give more to our customers, but they don't want to pay staff more. The people in these places are what get you through. It's a job.

Pros

Free food in lounge

Very friendly co-workers and a bright atmosphere, but management can be toxic

I had a really fun time working for M&S in clothing and home. Most of the staff felt almost instantly like people I'd known for years and were really supportive and genuinely loved what they were doing. Unlike most retail roles it felt like there was always something to do and I never really got bored of it. The benefits are also excellent as staff receive 20% off (on top of sale too!). One or two senior staff however were pretty toxic and at times felt like they were belittling and in-genuine, like they had a bit of a superiority complex. I recall being undeservingly spoken down to on a couple of occasions. Saying this, a much much higher percentage of managers were absolutely lovely and would go out of their way to make staff feel happy.

Good company to work for they treat you well if you are hard working and flexible. Variety of jobs through the day

It is ok to work for if you work hard. Staff are nice, you have a variety of jobs to do during the day so you don't get bored. You need to be flexible and have good communication skills.

Good and shoporting

Nice helpful management team who look after their colleagues. Work life balance is okay but could be better to be honest. Definitely had gotten worse in recent years.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks & Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement