Marks & Spencer logo
Marks & Spencer

Marks & Spencer Employee Reviews

Found 5,837 reviews matching the searchSee all 6,641 reviews

Unique and varied

No day is the same processes are but each day is different with our unique set of customers who love the Dine in deals and offers from our Sparks card eg treats of bag of cookies doughnuts or even a loaf of bread.Cooking with the stars has been a hit and customers have come to shop specifically for the meals on the program,

Scunthorpe store

Awful overall job. Thrown into the deep end with no training. Staff will try help you but can’t spend time helping as seems to be a grey area around staff “talking” & doesn’t take two to do one job and you’ll get told to do something else you have no training or experience on . Morning Managers think you can be shown something once and be quick as experienced staff. Some staff are rude! Lead to believe not all shops are like this but I won’t be recommending this company to anyone. Worst decision I have ever made. Please do your research before working here!!!

Pros

Cons

Unhappy staff/managers

Bad, just bad.

Good for temporary/part time until you move on.No chance of progressing unless management consider you a friend.Awful outdated technology that prevents you from doing your job efficiently. No support from management with difficult customers due to 'customer must always leave happy' culture. You can follow the policy all you like but management will over ride it every time, regardless of the situation, to prevent bad reviews.Customers are awful when they don't get their way. They have learnt that 'speaking to a manager' gets them what they want every time.Very high theft levels that no one seems to care about.Zero support/compassion for anyone with mental health.Management expect 100% flexibility, ALL the time.Be prepared to deal with bodily fluids...

Pros

staff discount

Cons

Long hours, 100% flexibility, bad technology

Brilliant first job

My first job ever and an excellent introduction to the world of work. Quite disappointing to see a load of negative reviews which I cannot help but think are untrue. Management team very supportive, helpful, and keen to encourage more junior staff to take on additional responsibility. Management also frequently engage with staff encouraging them to achieve their best. Customer assistants are rotated from tasks frequently (usually every hour) allowing them to become familiar with a range of tasks, such as stocking shelves or operating tills. This has the downside of there being a lot to learn, but it also makes the job interesting and gives you a diverse skill-set. The general ethos of the company is also very good. Excellent customer service is highly valued, which certainly has the knock on effect of the company hiring colleagues who are generally supportive to one another. Even if the qualifications needed are not massive, it is an excellent environment to grow in.

Pros

Good benefits, supportive workplace.

Cons

Tiring work, a lot to learn.

Fast paced and friendlyl

Good place to work. Busy most of the time but pleasant environment and fair pay. Staff are expected to work extra hours over Christmas- this is in the contract.

Pros

Friendly atmosphere

Cons

Long hours over Christmas

Good place to work but you have to put in a graft

M&S is not the way it used to be. I would say it is a great place to work and there is plenty of chances for progression however you have to work hard.Throughout the Covid pandemic they were doing the right thing by customers and also colleagues.Once an employer sees M&S on your CV their eyes still light up, its still seen as the best in service. You can learn a lot and there are lots of L&D courses you can complete.In the end I felt there was no work/life balance but that's just retail as a whole

Pros

progression aspirations, salary, benefits, teams

Cons

Long hours, constantly changing

have to be available and flexible to work 100 percent of time

they change your hours frequently and sometimes dont ask/tell you.work shifts can be up to 11 hours or morevery hard working day both on food and clothing and home

Pros

20 percent discount..even on sale items decent pension scheme

Cons

very long hours....5am starts or 7.30pm finishes

Awful management and bad hours

During my time at M&S I was never given a set weekly rota of shifts and never had access to my shifts until very late notice. Shifts would often be changed around and the staff would be blamed when the managers clearly need to help us.

Cons

Not the national Institution I Thought it Was…

I worked in a Simply Food outlet. General Managers came and went because they only came to show they could run a store and then applied for the next promotion. The departmental managers were awful. No notion of working with the team or leadership. Only cared about getting the job done and had their favourites among staff, the rest of us were not respected or listened to as human beings. They expected too much for nothing in return. There was always a drama and the place was clicky. Training was terrible, barely shown how to do things and then signed off. Video training in crowded offices and then managers laughing at you because you couldn’t hear the questions, let alone get the answers right. Criticised over personal matters and not supported. Never again. Struggle to shop there, let alone work for them. All about the image and not about the people.

Pros

Reasonable pay

Cons

Terrible treatment by managers

Top Marks

Great place to work for if you get the right team. Their learning resources are great, you can learn your role on your own or fill in gaps in your knowledge. The company gives a lot of great benefits which is handy if you are savvy. On the flip side you have to be determined to succeed as staff with long service do not welcome external candidates coming in high level positions. There can be a lack of teamwork as they feel threatened by new ideas. The staff who have long service history can also be hard to manage as they see a high turnover of managers. Over all a fabulous company to work for once you bypass all of the bad politics.

Pros

Very informative company with great training facilities.

Cons

Some staff have been in their roles for too long and are stagnant.

Jobs at Marks & Spencer

See more jobs

Don’t work here

The worst job I’ve ever had! Terrible management, customer assistants do the job for them! I don’t even get paid the minimum they offer. I was kept in after Christmas and I was asked what days I can’t do to which I said Saturdays and Sundays because I do acting classes and meeting etc and they then put me on an 8 hour contract and said it has to be on a Saturday or a Sunday! Now every weekend I hve to say that I can’t do said shifts because I’m not available and they make you feel as though you’re a problem and as though you aren’t being flexible enough! I also haven’t received a copy of my contract and I’ve been there for 10 months! The managers also have favourites and try to get rid of anyone they don’t like, a very toxic place to work so I’d say avoid at all costs

Pros

20% discount

Cons

Bad management, no flexible hours, no organisation, no respect from managers, terrible pay, the list goes on

Alright just

Managers would need to improve their attitude towards staff. If you aren’t part of the clicky group then you won’t get on well at work. The managers in my store would sacked as they are useless

Enjoyed the busy times in the store and helping customers with their enquiries.

A couple of hours on the tills both in clothing and groceries, help arrange the clothing onto the clothes rails sorting in size. I learned how to operate a till both cash and credit card payments. I enjoyed talking to the customers at the grocery check out.

Pros

A chance to buy food at cut price

Cons

Not always available

Avoid unless you're desperate

I worked there for 4 years doing different roles such as customer service assistant, section coordinator and working in store operations. I found management to be somewhat self centred and would throw you under the bus at any given chance if it made them look better. If you turned down overtime once you wouldn't be asked again as you were not seen as helpful or deserving. The only way to progress is if you either know someone or M&S is the centre of your universe and you give up all your personal life. I would avoid unless you are truly in need of a job.

Pros

Cons

Rubbish hours, back stabbing management and no support.

Really enjoyed my time at M&S

I really enjoyed working at M&S. It was a great environment to work in and everyone was really friendly. Normally, I was very busy as I was usually on the till, but - it made the day fly past. The hardest part of the job was dealing with annoyed customers, however - their issues were always resolved really quickly by management. Only reason I had to leave was because I moved away - otherwise I would have stayed! My most enjoyable part of the job was being on the tills because it really did make every day go very quickly.

Pros

Discount on food

Downhill fast

I worked at Marks and Spencers from the age of 16 in the Oxford food hall, at the beginning it was stressful due to the customers but after the pandemic, it was stressful because of the management. The management works very little and dictates far too much, whilst I worked there for just under 2 years there were 4 store managers and the food hall managers were constantly shifted between stores. This meant that a year into the job I had absolutely no idea who my line manager was. Whenever I had a problem or wanted to talk about conditions I was always brushed off and asked to inform my line manager, whom the other managers were also as clueless of. My coworkers were nice but the motivation was particularly low when furlough hit and all of the workers who put in minimal effort got a year off fully paid and those who worked hard already were forced to work harder. This disparity in the amount of work each worker did throughout the day was always clear and was now ridiculous. When the company really took a nosedive in their employee treatment was when they mixed up the management chain recently to save money, resulting in a voluntary redundancy scheme that was only very selectively invoked before proceeding to make less productive staff redundant instead. They then became infatuated with efficiency which caused the working hours to stretch and for people to be far busier at short clumps of time and then having nothing to do during the day. For example, the 'vanguard' system involves all fresh stock going out at 4:30am and all ambient stock after closing from 8 till 9:30 -

Pros

Above minimum wage

Cons

Zero Flexibility or respect

Good

Very helpful staff. Management treat you like part family very caring and constantly make sure you are ok and have any problems they are there for you .never worked for anyone who is so dedicated to their staff wellbeing as they are .personal circumstances had to leave but was very sad when I had to go 😔

Downhill fast

some of my fellow staff members that I have worked with for some years have been treated most unfairly during these dreadful last almost two years during covid,some sadly made redundant despite being good workers whilst others less skilled and motivated still remain,also some staff transferred to other stores who are never to return whilst again less motivated staff remain,Horrendous people management!

Unappreciated & Underpaid

Wrong people consistently in the wrong place. People progressing into positions they aren't ready for just so boxes can be ticked. Inexperienced store managers - demotivating experienced team managers, no structure to your day. Just end up becoming a glorified customer assistant and never getting any job satisfaction. The pressure for the amount you are paid is unbelievable. The expectation is too high with no time to do anything. Never feel like I can achieve my role. Supporting the team seems to come back to bite you. Not a good feeling.

Pros

Good discount

Cons

Managers not trained. Understaffed for expectation

Lovely frienfly productive workplace

Loved working for such a well known great brand I was proud of. Workmen in customer services and then food hall. The team were lovely as were management would of stayed if contracts were permanent at time

Pros

Doscounted meals and discount card.

Cons

3 month contract was not enough security at the time so left

Great team…. Long long hours

Great place to work, pay is good, overtime is available, they do promote from within, the only negatives are the long 12 hour shifts, and if you cannot drive it isn’t great relying on public transport or other colleagues. The prefer you to multi skill, the pension scheme is first class, the canteen is disappointing considering the food that you can buy in the stores, they spent money on looking after staff during the height of the Covid pandemic. If I could drive I would of stayed and reduced my shift hours to 9 hours

Pros

Decent pay, very good pension

Cons

12 hour shifts, in the middle of nowhere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks & Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5K