Marks & Spencer

Marks & Spencer Employee Reviews

United Kingdom5,982 reviews

Found 5,982 reviews matching the searchSee all 6,806 reviews

Made some great friends

Made some great friends after spending over 10 years here. Some management better than others, management seemed to change regularly also which could be frustrating at times after getting used to current management. Opportunities for progression if that's what you wanted

Pros

20% staff discount

Cons

Hours not always great for work life balance

Nice place for Christmas temp job

Nice place to temp over the Christmas holidays. I worked in the food department, and a typical day was stocking shelves and working the tills. The atmosphere is really nice and the managers are present.

Pros

Friendly staff, good pay

Cons

Quick turnaround for temps

Easy job if you get your head down

Work is simple enough, it can be fast paced at times but nothing that isn’t do-able. Management isn’t great but you do have some gems who genuinely care about their staff

It's an okay company to work for, I wouldn't want to work there again.

It's an okay company to work for, if you're planning on working part-time alongside Uni or a full time role or if you want extra money for you and your family. However, there is no progression or your face has to fit. They expect you to be flexible, however they aren't with you. I personally experienced a lot of mental health stigma whilst working there. There are a lot of people who do very little so if you're a hard worker, they will use you for everything and then let others get away with doing nothing. It's a good job, if you don't care very much but it's not one for progression or development. It's not a career at all.

Pros

20% discount on M&S Food isn't too bad, Sometimes we can take the food that doesn't sell or the expired bakery home.

Cons

Terribly managed, Expects you to be flexible but not in return, mandatory overtime over holiday periods.

Ok place tk work

Ok place to work could have been better but difficult time during retail. Often fun abs banter but tough at the same time. Ideally more staff would have helped

Great co-workers, company has no respect for its staff expects constant overtime

Perks are stripped , no bonus with constant overtime expected. Christmas and boxing day is owed as well. Ultimately the company optimises profits by cutting back on the staff side.

Pros

Great colleague's

Cons

Poor management, no perks no flexibility or understanding

Good pay, do not care about what shifts/hours you want and communication is shocking

Pay is great, sparks discount also great. The job itself is enjoyable but sometimes extremely dull and slow, and the opening hours in the lead up to 25/12 were ridiculous (10pm seems unnecessary and we’d get about 2 customers an hour). After my interview i was told I had the job in an email about two weeks later. I had a start date that turned out to be incorrect and it was hard to get hold of anyone to figure out when I needed to go in. There was a day long induction which was helpful, then after that I was given my shifts. I signed an 18 hour contract and immediately put on 40, asked for less got a confused look and begrudgingly adjusted to 35. After the busy November/ December period I was put on closer to what I agreed to but the shifts were really inconvenient. My manager never replied to requests or comments on the official teams chat. Shifts appeared on my rota 12 hours before they started and changed in length and amount constantly making it impossible to plan - I asked about this endlessly and was ignored, same as when I asked about getting my tax code fixed to get my proper pay and booking days off. A common issue with me and other under 25 employees was communication: my position wasn’t advertised as temporary but I realised I was hired as a temp a couple of weeks in. It was unclear when my contract was going to end - some of us were kept on for an extra three weeks, some people applied and got new jobs in the same department, and those who didn’t get those jobs weren’t informed or told they would no longer be employed in the near future. It’s such a shame as I really -

Pros

Good pay and good employee discount, lovely coworkers.

Cons

Unhelpful with their hours and accommodations especially as a young person. Terrible communication.

Social

Depending on manager, can be a nice place to work . Pretty much have to find things out yourself from new processes in the company or if things have changed , no proper training just your own online learning you have to find and do yourself in your own time .

Pros

Free drinks, fruit, bread, cakes in canteen, free uniforms, above minimum wage pay .

Cons

Again depending on manager, long hours for some, no help progressing through company, held back in many areas .

Good work experience over all made good friends

I worked for Winchester and Southampton branch, there were pros and cons for both store mostly pros, on the hole family type environment people are friendly as a whole, there are favourites like in many work places but if you get on with what your doing it shouldn't bother you to much, you generally hit the ground running, Christmas can be hetic , ideally best to start in the spring or summer months when there's more time for training.

Pros

You get your set break times, I found onces i clocked off I didn't take the work home with me, people were friendly and I made good friends here

Cons

Customers can be stressful at times, especially at Christmas

good pay and nice coworkers however easy to be layed off

lovely staff atmosphere however easy to be payed off which is quite disappointing and a shame as m&s once had a good rep for being amazing with their staff however this has sloped.

Pros

good canteen and pay, staff are mostly really nice, nice rotational job activities

Cons

can be set some long hours, one of the managers was very argumentative and undermining, also it’s really easy for them to lay you off hence why you’re payed weekly

Seasonal job

The only good place is a home and clothing site the food site is not good .. that site is very bad to work there .. soo you have yo choose the right site from the begining

Pros

Good pay rate

Cons

Temporary

Management supportive! Lots of incentives such as salary exchanges or holiday buy Lots of chances to learn new skills and work in all areas and soke room for progression!

Very good company to work for

Loved working for M&S in Kids Wear and helped in women's wear. I also took part helping in the food hall. Lots of events such as mothers day, Christmas sales and discounted items lots of bargains to get all my colleagues became my family and friends. Made long term friends with customers

Pros

Staff discount good working environment

Cons

Some weekends and late shifts. Loved earlier starts

Productive & Unpredictable

The staffing itself were amazing to work with.. unfortunately the management themselves let the store down.I enjoyed every minute working there Never was given the right encouragement or the time for training to ‘excel’ to their standards.The uniform doesn’t tend to your shape to make you feel happy or comfortable in. They lacked any praise or acknowledgement of your work and never on the floor, base your performance on any mistake done and not on the general work you provide. When asked for more training you don’t receive the help you asked for unless provoked. Nothing you ever did was good enough or to their standards, give you zero confidence or encouragement. Don’t give you any feeling of accomplishment or approval. It’s a shame it was a lovely environment, the customers were amazing to serve, the staff who did all the work were amazing people and provided all the confidence you needed to learn or exceed in certain things. Management were barely on the floor and had zero support for their staff or the team support managers, never cared about your well-being or availability with hours.Refused to have security to protect the stock and left the store assistants to catch thieves..I expected more from a company like M&S, some of their stores are a big let down. As I said the staff themselves are perfect and so lovely… the management are the let downs!

Pros

Good pay, lovely colleagues

Cons

Management, poor training etc

Not a nice environment to work in.

Your experience in buying and merchandising really depends on the business unit you’re in. Recommend Menswear and Lingerie. Womenswear has not such a good culture, a lot of blaming when things go wrong and progression based more on if your liked by leadership than skill. Merchandisers/Buyers generally never leave so great to start your career but don’t get stuck in the hope Merch/Buyers roles will come up as when they do is rare and a lot of competition. This can even happen at AM/AB roles with more than 30 internal people applying.

Pros

Pay-One of the best in retail. Benefits-Discount card, sharesave, discounts on other companies.

Cons

Long hours Slow career progression Unhealthy culture Little recognition for your work

Horrible managers and favouritism that was present

just pile on work to you and are not understanding at all with your personal life.It was extremely fast paced and always kept you busy and on your toes. I enjoyed the stock stacking which was easy but got tiring, too many hours.

Pros

Good pay, staff room, 20% discount

Cons

Management, favouritism, extra hours

Depends purely on managers a lot of the time

I have worked for the company a few times in a few locations from the age of 16-19. Some managers and fellow employees are great but others are just horrible, treat staff terribly and do hardly any work themselves. Myself and a few other fellow employees have left before purely due to not getting along with a certain trainee manager.

Pros

Good starting pay for young people looking for a job

Mangers are terrible

Customers are lovely and the jobs given are easy it’s just the managers that ruin it. They have no communication they sometimes come across rude and when I text them they ignore me!

They don’t look after you, no praise given, even if you work your socks off.

I suffered badly with a heart condition and was given a written warning for the amount of absence, even though I was given sick notes etc from the doctor. Was never supported. Poor management. Only thing that kept me there for as long as I did were my lovely colleagues.

Pros

Free tea, coffee, toast. 20% discount.

Cons

Unsociable hours, which they will never swap for you. It’s easier to get a kidney than an evening off.

Helpful teammates

A typical day at work for me involved counting store stock both backstage and on the shop floor, and ensuring that critical items for sale were on the shopfloor per time. I also handled customer sales and returns on some occasions. My teammates were nice and happy to put me through from the first day; however, I noticed that the manager was a bit 'detached' from the rest of the team.

Pros

20% employee discount Free tea, coffee, bread and fruits

Cons

Weekend work

Lacks organisation

Lacks organisation. Managers do not provide staff with assistance when necessary, often causing staff members to be stressed and consequently, perform under standards set.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Say goodbye to your mental health

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks & Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Marks & Spencer
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?