Marks & Spencer
Happiness score is 55 out of 100
View all Marks & Spencer reviews

Marks & Spencer

Marks & Spencer Employee Review

You will make a mistake working here

I obviously cannot speak for other stores, I am aware that your experience with the company largely depends on which store you work at. I have been employed by this business since November 2021 and felt recently I had no other option but to hand my notice in. The management are so patronising and unappreciative of the work you do, they continuously add extra hours into your weeks without asking and then shoot you straight down if you say you can't do them, this leads to a very stressful lifestyle and easily the poorest work/life balance I have ever experienced. The people are however great, all of your colleagues are so supportive and I can't say I have ever had a bad experience with one of the other Customer Assistants. Benefits are great with a 20% discount as soon as you start work. The only other problem is HR who repeatedly ignore your service requests and will happily have you not set up correctly, in my case for the entire 9 months my date of birth was incorrect on my pay slip which meant that I was taxed far too much, just another factor adding to the stress of working here.

Pros

Employee Perks, The People

Cons

Too many hours, A lot of poor management and expectation to work more than you're contracted to.

1.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Same role

Pretty good

Worked here for a summer. It was good pay and the environment was okay. I only had a Saturday job, so didn't really get in with everyone, but the rest of the staff were nice to me.
Same role

Short and sweet

I was on a 6 month contract and as much as I enjoyed my time here, I could feel that as a temp, I was never fully included by the full time staff.The 20% staff discount was good, especially as you could also use it on top of any sale prices too.

Pros

Decent wage and discount.

Cons

Short contract
Same roleSame location

Encouraging positive workplace

Staff are welcoming, encouraging, patient and make you feel valued. I feel appreciated working there and come to work very happy. They are able to work around your social life.

Pros

Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks & Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Marks & Spencer with

Learn about Marks & Spencer in popular locations

• Marks & Spencer
  • You will make a mistake working here