Marks & Spencer
Happiness score is 55 out of 100
View all Marks & Spencer reviews

Marks & Spencer

Marks & Spencer Employee Review

Useless, hypocritical and unappreciative management

Stressful, unpleasant and generally chaotic work environment. Woefully understaffed, have at time juggled four jobs simultaneously, breaks are often missed because nobody can cover you. Received no formal training, self-taught myself everything I know. Unrealistic work expectations to be completed by the end of the day. Management are rarely present and just cause problems and stress people out when they are, tell people not to do things and preach corporate policies that they rarely follow themselves. Regularly play favourites and treat younger staff unfairly. Change contracts and working hours on a whim then falsely claim that you've either agreed to it or its been there for a while and you've had adequate time to change it. Constantly push us to perform better, criticise us when we don't but consistently set us up to fail. Managers regularly ignore, lie, tiptoe around or provide incorrect information in regards to hours, contracts, policies, ect while prioritising their own, often leaving people waiting years for contract changes that never come. Jobs aren't rotated so staff don't get many opportunities to learn new things, also meaning that back of house staff are extremely unlike to receive customer feedback which managers are now suddenly obsessed with. Occasionally get moved to other departments with no warning or adequate training. Expected to put in holidays a year in advance, adhering to a strict deadline. Have at times ran out of PPE or cleaning items. Lack of staff results in consistently falling standards and staff morale... And BREATHE! No doubt I've missed other -

2.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Same role

Pretty good

Worked here for a summer. It was good pay and the environment was okay. I only had a Saturday job, so didn't really get in with everyone, but the rest of the staff were nice to me.
Same role

Short and sweet

I was on a 6 month contract and as much as I enjoyed my time here, I could feel that as a temp, I was never fully included by the full time staff.The 20% staff discount was good, especially as you could also use it on top of any sale prices too.

Pros

Decent wage and discount.

Cons

Short contract
Same location

Terrible place to work

No one treated equally. No issues dealt with in correct way! Management a disgrace. Pay ok but there’s better jobs and pay elsewhere. Expect full timers to work weekends but part timers can choose when they wanna work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks & Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Marks & Spencer with

Learn about Marks & Spencer in popular locations

• Marks & Spencer
  • Useless, hypocritical and unappreciative management