Marks and Spencer

Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Found 5,734 reviews matching the search
One of the better shops to work in. My store is quite small, so there's a friendly atmosphere among colleagues. It's normally busy which I prefer to being quiet. You get opportunities to increase your skill set. Management is quite good with good communication.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Pay could be higher
Organised, rostering daily planning,You learn something new every day. It’s very fast moving, Management encourage you to learn everything you need to know so everyone has great knowledge of all products, this helps productivity.Strong Leadership, Customer service is excellent, long term employees, not just colleagues but friendships, hardest part: If you find you job hard, you always have someone there to help.Enjoyable. when you work well within your team, your working with your friends.
Pros
Learn new skills, full training for your role, discount card
Cons
Doing two different shifts in the week.
You were expected to do a 6 person job with just yourself especially during the Covid 19 outbreak. I worked in the bakery that was newly renovated so it was the largest one in NI and we had an amazing manager at the start and our section co was amazing but for some unknown reason they were moved to a different store and then it all went down hill. We were given a manager who didn’t no how the bakery was ran and expected way too much. When you told him a problem he brushed it off as if there wasn’t a problem. You were expected to go into the bakery at 5am and within 3 hours have everything out looking perfect with only 2 members of staff which was just impossible. My manager near the end became better with us and understood more but the store manager etc was awful. Helped every single department but the bakery and still expected all the work to be done. Put way too much tasks onto the bakery like cooking rotisserie chickens and making garlic bread while keeping on top of cleaning, baking etc. You would go into work just to be put on a till, on the shop floor or in the cafe when your own team in the bakery needed your help more.
Pros
Good pay, good team within bakery, your team helped you out
Cons
Not enough hours, no help from management, put on top shop floor or different departments which you didn’t no how to do
Avoid if you can , there’s no assistance, no proper training , just thrown in at the deep end and expected immediate results and high expectations from the start
Pros
There’s no pros
Cons
Thrown in at the deep end with no proper training
I worked at marks and Spencer’s in mumbles (Swansea) for 1 month Christmas temporary and it was chaos from start to finish, they didn’t know when to start me and when I did show up for my first day as per an email from the manager they weren’t even sure if I was supposed to start, they blame the lack of staff due to Covid for all the confusion but nobody knew what they were doing. I was being trained by staff that had only been there 2 weeks at best themselves, I was expected to do the same for more Christmas temps when they started a week an a half later, what was most concerning there was a member of management that refused to wear a mask and had caught covid whilst I was working there and on the date of her return still didn’t wear a mask, other managers tried their best to help but there was too much confusion to make sense of anything, nobody ever showed me how to access my payslips or my shifts and now I’m paying the price for it and I asked multiple times, my contract was temporary and ran out on the 2nd January so I worked my basic 20 hours and the 2nd January was my last day. To only find out they had mistakenly put me down for 27th December finishing date so I was never paid those hours and was deducted unpaid sick leave and was deducted my holiday pay also, it’s been a nightmare trying to get this sorted and now they have the gall to say to me now I’ve been overpaid and they expect 119 pound to be paid back to them. Why am I paying for their mistake and negligence ? The colleagues I worked with were hard working and nice people but also had discrepancies with their - more...
Pros
Temporary staff discount card
Cons
Everything, chaotic
Well I liked working at marks and Spencer's and I would like to work there again the people were good to talk to and get on with so that's why am wanting to work with us again
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Due to constant personnel streamlining the job became extremely stressful with no work life balance. Be prepared to work long hours for no recognition or career progression. Emails are unmanageable and job too demanding. Company used to work as one team but became a company with blame culture due to style of new management. Ok if your face fits. Hardest part of job is managing emails and constant unmanageable deadlines. Greatest part of job is the people.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
M&S is such a lovely place to work! Lovely staff members, loads of overtime and great work life balance! Enjoyable job as all staff members are so friendly.
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
As with most warehouse work- you get promised the world to find out nothing will come of it.Its frustrating especially when they can see you have a lot more to offer.
Pros
Was in a job
Cons
Long hours- no progression
I worked in three different store and was asked to change management roles 5 times within a 18 month period, Man management skills differed from store to store.
Pros
Good colleague perks
Cons
Long hours on call in different roles.
Great for people who want to balance their private life and their work life, M&S are really flexible. They have a great paying salary and the people that work there are really friendly. there isn't anyone who would single you out, everyone helps everyone. The only thing I can say negative is that they never gave me the training they said they would, I went into the Job not knowing how anything worked and could barely answer questions customers had. However In time, you get to learn everything as your colleagues help you learn everything you need to know. Additionally, They don't give you many breaks. I use to work 9-5 and only get one half hour break for the whole day.
Pros
great salery
Cons
long hours with little breaks
I found working for marks and spencer really enjoyable. Thou I was working in lingerie for most of my career at marks we were often to asked to cover other departments from foods to refunds which I found enjoyable as well . I felt going to other departments you learn more about the section. If you had any problems you could always go and see a manager that could help you with any problems
Pros
Canteen you had to pay for your meals but coffee was free
Cons
When working a late canteen was closed so had to bring in own food but at least got a coffee free
They are a good company to work for, not had any issues with them, always been very good with people and let you speak straight about anything. You will be expected to work hard, but the managers and staff are always friendly and time passes quickly. They have an apprenticeship scheme for those starting a career in the company and management opportunities.
Pros
Free hot drinks and cheap food catering unit
Cons
If your not willing to work, then don’t apply!!
A stressful place to work where management is non existent so any issues your left dealing with on your own. Extremely fast paced environment always on the go! Stocking shelfs constantly and if your not then till work till end of the shift and m&s gets very busy especially during Christmas period
Pros
Non
Cons
Always on the go and little break
M and S is probably one of the better supermarkets you could work in. Management dont push you, customers are nice, the work is very easy and you have surplus staff, the culture is really friendly and relaxed.
Pros
Free food in canteen, easy work, fixed hours, nice job
Cons
not many for a supermarket!
Started at M&S as a Christmas temp in the Café the staff there are an amazing bunch, made you feel so welcome and showed you how things are done and all so professional cannot fault them.
Pros
Free snacks in the Staff room
Cons
Claimed I’d get employee discount but I didn’t
Appalling pay always have to chase up and nothing is done about it, have to ask multiple times or speak to HR directly, poor management, not helpful and very unprofessional.
Training provided throughout, progression and promotion are encouraged. Building strong links with all stakeholders. IT skills are an advantage as are strong maths and English skills.
Good pay and benefits and they care for their staff.Never felt undervalued and managers at every level took time to talk and include staff.It’s good to see new managers coming on board with a fresh approach.The only negative is there can be some favouritism between managers and staff which can have a detrimental affect on hours and shifts worked by others.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Shift patterns
Rude, unprofessional and lazy managers. Very condescending. Once a customer had to ask if I was okay after being shouted at by one of my managers over a simple mistake infront of everyone. Over staffed most of the time so you stood around doing nothing or just pulling stuff from the front forward. Unfulfilling work, no benefits, not happy to work around you. Would not recommend working here and often paid late or underpaid.
Pros
Half an hour break sometimes.
Cons
Late pay, underpaid, uncomfortable environment.
Poor leadership and slow reactions to changing markets are making this high Street giant crumble. Constant internal restructuring and management changes cause confusion in job roles and leadership in store. Took redundancy due to Covid haven't regretted it.
Pros
Discount and pay rates l
Cons
Poor management.
  1. Employee reviews