Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group

Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom21 reviews

An average day

Atmosphere and culture had turned combative and not collaborative. Everyday became a battle to get the simplest procedure followed. In 4 years there had been 3 rounds of redundancies with a 4th imminent.

Pros

Good hours and flexible working

Cons

A knowledge vacuum existed

Cloth Cutting Operative

Benefits of working there are amazing, good bunch of lads, too much of a blame culture from upper management, too many chiefs not enough Indians.

Benefits

Insights into Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues

Poor interview did not explain expectations

Dreadful company, poor management, expected very long hours but did not mention this at interview. Treated 2 contractors in the team differently to permanent members of staff, did not explain the detail of the role at interview - felt very misled and out of my depth with over-complicated, interlibked spreadsheets written by someone else.

Cons

Very long hours expected but not mentioned at interview

Productive environment, albeit stressful at times

Great work content - varied and interesting, good salary and good level of skills shown by colleagues.Would like to see management giving more support to staff and higher pay for the shop floor laminators.

Pros

Good work life balance, great products, good facilities

Cons

Management needs to be more sympathetic of employee needs & development, still no canteen with cooked meals when I left in 2017

If your face fits your okay!

Slow paced, always waiting for spares.Management is very poor and they will talk to you anyway they want to. No manners.Good jobs go to the guys they know.You have to jump through hoops to get a salary increase.

Pros

4 day week

Cons

Workplace

Madg

I worked at Marshall ADG for 9 years It was a poor experience and I was bullied and harassed by the then Engineering Director. This culture prevailed somewhat throughout director level of the company. There were very few benefits - eg no discount on cars procured from the Motor Group for MADG employees at the time. Their projects were always late and over budget - Their design were excellent

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Bullying culture.

Sadly, an inward looking organisation that thinks it is much bigger than it actually is.

Great role supporting the Royal Air Force. But, I was left to fend for myself and when thing became really challenging, and company support turned to hostility, despite being at war in Afghanistan and Iraq. A fairly xenophobic organisation, with a few insiders who are still there now, but most, like me, did 3 - 5 years and moved on. The Company considered business (and life) stopped at the boundary of Cambridge City; very insular, especially when approached for a buy-out, which would have revolutionised the aircraft business.

Pros

Family led company and a sense of individuality.

Cons

Too many hawks waiting for the slightest slip up.

Terrible leadership

Awful management, self serving bullies who tell you about bonuses but don’t pay it; treat clients badly; careless behaviour about safety and get rid of the backbone of the workforce instead of idiotic senior ‘leaders’.

Good place to learn, knowledgeable staff.

It's a good company that values opinions of its employees. Managers are experienced and will help you with your aspirations. Friendly senior managment.

Traces of the family involvement remain as the company moves into 21C management

Excellent people to work for, taking a personal and hands on interest in their staff. Each business unit operates separately with Defence and Engineering being the main foci of the organisation, as it searches for new markets and opportunities. Staff vary as with any organisation, although overall they are positive, in action and professional. Great company to work for!

Pros

On site canteen, focussed management, learning culture

Cons

Not all parts of the organisation adapt to change well

security

Having been brought in on short term cover for illness, it seemed that Marshalls had their own way of doing things that didn't seem to sit well after completing my service time. some of their procedures were a little dated and set up to appease the company. During my time there were changes, mainly driven by CAA regulations. But most of the staff seemed a little reluctant to speak up after some staff redundancies last year.

Pros

company pay and benefit policy

Cons

long hours sat on gates/barriers.

Going through Change

Having worked for Marshall for 10 years the Company is going through another change cycle when it comes out of it hopefully it will be the place I enjoyed working for. On the plus side a true family culture and people who care. On the minus side having created a Values Culture and drive it has reverted to a more Company and Control culture. I wish them and everyone well in getting back to a core that can both deliver results but care at the same time. I would recommend it as a place to work but just be sure there is clarity on the direction of any post you apply for.

Pros

Good benefits and flexible working

Cons

Blame culture in certain areas

From outside it looks like a great company to work for but in reality, very very very poor management

From the outside, it looks like a very good company to work for but there is very very poor management. Very poor culture to learn or change. Not good

Working at Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group

A large, professional, family business with great history. Redundancy is the last option that the family choose to follow. A pleasure to work there. Great people. Great location.

Pros

Great people and professionalism.

Cons

Challenges re diversifying away from the main cash cow.

Family Business now becoming Corporate

This company used to have good family values. However, with the new management and CEO these values seem to have disappeared. My manager was not willing to listen to any new ideas I had. He would ask if there were any issues and then just move on without taking any notice.

Pros

Flexible working.

Cons

'We've always done in that way' attitude which is difficult to change.

Friendly envarioment

Friendly workplace. I enjoy 3D modelling design meeting review Flex time to allow to go to doctor or pick up children or look after family member in need Benefit available training/courses

Pros

flex time/extra hours

N/a

Worked in Manufacturing environment processing various parts and materials. Learnt about company and OEM processes, specifications and procedures used in aerospace.

Going downhill fast

I worked in the goods inwards department, unloading lorries, booking parts in on their computer system. The company will end up expecting you to work many hours overtime either on dayshift or nightshift but will never thank you for the time and effort you put in to helping them. The management is very poor at helping people progress and will only offer promotions to 'yes men' as they do not like anyone having a opinion or idea outside of their own thought process.

Pros

Pay rates

Cons

Long hours, stressfull, poor management

Avery pleasant place to work

Interesting range of projects and chalenges. Able to use many skills Different aircraft types for analysis during the brief contract period.

Not a happy office to work in,due to bad manager

My day consisted of inputting purchase ledger invoices onto system, making sure that the correct currency of them was put onto system. Two of us had in the region of 1200 invoices to apply to the correct suppliers over a total of 44 hours in one week. The volume was very large, which in addition to input of these we had to reconcile any statements that cam into the business. The other person that did the same job as me was very easy to get on with and we had a good working relationship. Our management structure was not so good as not enough time was given to the process of the job, so this created a lot of undercurrent within the working environment. Since then both myself and my colleague have left the business and are currently looking for another position, also part time if available. The other parts of the business did not seem so bad as our office, which in part was due to an inexperienced Manager.

Pros

Yearly bonus ifcompany made enough profit.

Cons

Not a happy working enviroment

Good working enviroment

A typical day at marshalls involves clocking on and then finding the workshop supervisor to find out what you'd be working on for the day. We have to work to strict drawings and paint depths and gloss levels duue to the requirements of the job. Management i feel could be improved greatly and new ways of doing things could be rought in to make the work a bit easier.I feel in general the job is very easy but the challenging bit is just making sure all the paint depths and gloss levels are right and also the right products have been applied in the right areas on the job.In general the job is very good and once you know the products and drawings becomes fairly easy so you can relax a little and have a bit of a laugh and joke with work friends as long as you get to where you need to be at the end of the day.

Pros

overtime rates

Cons

managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement