Marstons Plc

Marstons Plc Employee Reviews

Shocking managment

Great place to move up the ladder and gain qualifications. Great place to make friends. Rota was issued with a few days notice. Sometimes was expected to work 6 hours before i had a break.

Pros

Qualifications

Cons

Terrible management

Horrible place and overwork staff

Very poor management and the work to life balance ratio non-exsistent. Do not work here if you’re looking for appreciation because higher management do not care about you as long as their sales are going up up up. Very poor employer appreciation worked for the company over 5 years and just an email to say thanks, although others got a nice sparkly gold envelope. Be as loyal as you like to this company and receive 30% off your food whilst at work. Wow. Five years of service and only just getting moved up and trained how to do something else, this place is a joke and the kitchen work is hard and understaffed all the time. Because no one wants to work for this company.

Pros

No free lunches

Cons

Long hours, no social life, low pay

Pubs are Great, The top are terrible.

Worked for this company for 3 and a half years and honestly am more than glad to be free. The pubs themselves are fantastic, full of hard working employees and great customers, it’s a real family culture.The rest of the job is awful. As a supervisor I was picking up 15p more an hour than a regular member of staff, with 100x the stress. Need a break? Sorry you’re the only manager on shift so expect to not have chance to eat on a 12 hour shift. Need something in the workplace that could cause injury fixing? Sorry head office won’t authorise it, and will offer a cheap bodge job instead. Having made acquaintances with people who have worked at both pub level and head office, it’s clear that head office treat themselves as a different entity, whilst their employees at pub level mean nothing to them. When a line chef can leave our place and get a job in a Greene King pub on more money than our kitchen manager, it really shows the level of appreciation Marston’s employees get.

Pros

Great pub staff, nice working environment

Cons

Incompetent Staff in head office

its ok

okay place to work. long hours. supervisors and managers not inclusive. communication is off and infrequent. everything is done on paper. customer base is okay

Pros

relaxed with uniform

Cons

poor communication

Overall, good

Can’t say anything bad about Marston’s to be honest. Good managers, job is not stressful, can’t feel that someone is behind my back watching what I’m doing like it was in different places. Hours depend on everything like traffic, how long on the bay in customer. But most of the time is 9-10hrs. Sometimes 12-13hrs. For me the best job to work for in Burton area.

Pros

Paid brakes

Face paced & demanding no social life balance

All around good company to work for, wasn't happy that I caught covid & I never received any sick pay although they said they would put holidays through & ended up with no payment at all. You never get a life after work as they tell you that you must complete online training & raise the bar through (review the workplace as if you are a customer)

Pros

Half price food on shift

Cons

Long hours no social life balance

Don't expect a life beyond work

You are expected to be at work, all the time, you are given labour budgets unrealistic for you to have days off, if your area manager calls you and u are not at work they question why.It's basically prison

Lies from the start

Promised the earth, delivered nothing. Been in the hospitality trade for 21 years and they are by far the most unprofessional company i have ever worked for. Zero honesty and zero integrity from area manager. Glad to be leaving

Pros

No employee support, especially for female staff

There is no support for female staff in a front of house role, and complaints made about customers often gets overlooked and encourages an unsafe work environment.

Cons

Long and unflexible hours, short breaks

Awful!

I was really excited to get the job at Marston's in Spalding. After a month or so that's when true colours were shown. The Managers complained everyday about another worker, gave others a telling off for something other people did and honestly couldn't care if you have a life outside the workplace. If your a supervisor or above be prepared not to have a break as 'your management', even though you could be working from 12pm until close. Wanting days off, not likely! Be prepared to work at least 6 days a week and long shifts. Would I recommend Marston's NO!

Pros

half price food on breaks

Cons

long hours, terrible managers and uppers, no social life

Avoid

Useless area managers. Terrible pay. Didn't care about their staff. Started with a generous discount of 50% off food and soft draught drinks on shift. The company then issued a memo saying that they were taking that from staff and reducing the discount to 30% as the company realised that they're losing out on that income. I was supervisor expected to provide the same amount of work as an assistant manager for a insulting 3p extra above minimum wage!

Pros

Nothing.

Avoid!

Worked long hours for no benefits or return. High turnover of staff unsurprisingly, as all tasks are left to sales by management. There’s no work/life balance at all, and you are expected to work at 100% 12 hours back to back all day, every day.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, poor management, lack of respect for colleagues among them

Can be great, but mostly is pretty shocking.

If you have a good team with well organised and interested management if could be an awesome place to work, if you don't think about the really derogatory wage, the non existent on the job training, the long hours, the lack of breaks, the changing of shifts without asking if you can do said shifts, and the complete disregard for any other part of your life other than what they can get from you at work.Unfortunately a really good team can and often is destroyed by one or two bad staff members (management and team members).Lack of communication and or contradictory information from management is also the normal practice.I can honestly say that I have had one general manager and one deputy manager that I have loved working with and that have got stuck in alongside myself and other team members. However I have also lost track of exactly how many management changes there has been in my time with Marstons.Higher up the chain has apparently even more of a couldn't care less about what you think and any ideas you may have, or any issues with your workplace or colleagues. (I was fortunate to have a great area manager). Some of the higher up management that I have had the misfortune of stumbling across literally suck all morale and enthusiasm away from you in very quick fashion, and in my opinion have absolutely no clue about what is going on anywhere, so much so they often forget their own names and become blind (most won't introduce themselves and predominantly will ignore the team or look them up and down as if they have just crawled out of the sewage system). Basically the -

Pros

Weekly pay, some opportunities to progress, meeting some (mostly) great people

Cons

Long hours, short shift planning, difficult work environment due to a minority of incompetent people. Communication issues, bad standard practices that are allowed to continue with no consequences for any discipline problems, low pay.

Stressful, poor pay but can be enjoyable.

Overall for the job as a member of the front of house is fairly standard for the hospitality industry. Most staff are on 0-hour contracts and earn minimum wage. Part-time staff can expect between 1-3 days a week meanwhile most full-time staff are expected to work 6 days a week often leading to large periods with a days break.The overall culture is good, staff have a certain level of comradery amongst themselves which leads to many strong friendships being developed as you deal with the chaos that can often occur on shift. Management is very relaxed which can have its benefits but can also create massive problems when discipline among staff breaks down, it is not uncommon for staff to arrive 30+ minutes late without facing any consequences. Some members of staff let their ego manage the management team which can lead to a power struggle between floor staff and the actual management. There is often no incentive to improve service and the little efforts which are made can be put down to panic upon reading falling service reviews. Kitchen Staff are often undervalued and blamed for issues that can often be put down to poor FOH training. The kitchen team a close-knit group who have each other's backs, they are very quick to accept others into their ranks and regularly help the front of house if asked.It must be said that this is can often be an enjoyable place to work and a great job for young people looking for a first job, however, with every good shift comes an equally bad one plagued with understaffing, technical problems and staff apathy to the job.There is a group of -

Pros

Friendly Managment, Good stepping stone job, Good for first job experience

Cons

Minimum Wage, 0-Hour Contracts, Lack of managment dicipline.

Stuck in the 80’s

Company as a whole is years behind any of its competitors.Took me 2 years to get a uniform.You won’t get to see your friends or family ever again. Lack of communication throughout the company.

Pros

Seems impossible to get sacked

Cons

Long hours, poor pay, understaffed, no budget

Unfair and underpaid

The pay at marstons is shocking for the work that you have to do, I started on £3.05 an hour and was on £6 when I left. As a waitress you are lumbered with most of the work the managers can’t be bothered doing and are constantly rushed off your feet, but not given the appreciation. Also 0 hour contracts, meaning they’re unfair with hours and holidays, always an issue when I wanted time off, and I mean every single time. Also they give you tons of hours you don’t want as I was in sixth form at the time and keep you later than they originally say you are in until. However, you don’t feel as though you can say anything as management is unhelpful and take advantage of shy nervous young staff

Pros

Was an experience

Cons

Long hours, unreliable hours, poor pay

Non predicted

Not nice place to work Hours not reliable Staff are grumpy Mangers are up themselves Dirty grimy pub Toilets aren’t clean Really awful place to work, so do yourself a favour and never apply for this company

Cons

No thought for people with young children

Alot of cons really. Hard work. Feel unappreciated. No support for people with young families. Having to work fridays, sat & sundays till late does not give you time to spend with your children and spouse. To much pressure on help raise the bar also. Wish they would give it a rest. Your workers are working as hard as they can to keep your pubs afloat!

Pros

Weekly pay

Cons

Long hours. Weekend work no time for family time.

Generally good company but can't say the same about some management.

It's a good company to work for with a great strategy which is clear and compelling. I enjoyed some of the work, but sadly there were staff/team issues and I felt undermined, unempowered, controlled and micro-managed which did not suit me.

Pros

Good company, clear compelling strategy, generally some nice people.

Cons

Political and some controlling, insincere micro-managers.

terrible management from top to bottom

Worked for the company for about 4 years, to begin with everything was good. Slowly working up the ranks, learning and training all very good. Then our general manager got suspended for not doing his job and then the company let him keep his job. The worst decision the company has made, I'm a second chef on minimum wage and with only 2 other chefs the stress is unreal and 100% not worth the pay. And all upper management have done is pile on more pressure with more audits and inspections despite knowing the problems. Tldr: company treats you like a robot and get away with paying as little as possible.

Pros

Good training if you get lucky

Cons

Dont care about you if your not a manager

Great people focused company

I have only worked for Marstons for a short time as a contractor but it's been a great experience and I have met some wonderful people.Being a contractor you can often see a real insight to the company by talking to so many different people and I'm yet to meet someone who talks about the company in a negative way.

Pros

Great people

Cons

A struggling sector

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marstons Plc. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement