Matalan

Matalan Employee Reviews

Found 1,873 reviews matching the search
Fun, the majority of people there were great just a couple who were horrible. Management were super lovely couldn’t fault them. Great first job
Pros
Work around your flexibility
Cons
Horrendous pay for teenagers
Managers where cheating on each other, locking themselves in offices, unfair wages,silly contacts,lack of breaks, treated poorly, swap from one department to another, alot favouritism, alot of scandals, poor air circulation in warehouse cardboard boxs create alot of dust, alot expected from you but I was treated poorly, I could go on but rather not waste my time.
Pros
Discounted on items
Cons
Everything about the job
They give you the least minimum hours and minimum salary, and favour other employees therefore give them most of the hours. They’ll expect you to come in when they want to use you but when you ask for extra hours and days, they’ll give some hope but leave you hanging and give others. A few managers are lost those need replacing because they’re so slow in everything, make it look like anyone can be a manager. Some co workers gossip so much, there’s always drama going on, even between the managers. Some treat you differently, don’t even smile or have a positive personality, they just look at you like you took their kidney from them. This made it a depressing environment to work in at times, and they only give you standard tasks like either working on a till for hours or tidying up making it boring and less challenging, also your experience is limited. The employees that were favoured were given tasks to them that they preferred. So unprofessional they sometimes write your shift down on the rota sheet at a certain time, but they’ll text or ring you asking you where you are on the day you’re not working. The worst part is they don’t even bother giving you a written letter at the start of the job to confirm your type of contract, so if you experience a pandemic while working for them, they’ll end your job regardless of how short notice it is or without a contract. If you confront them about anything they’ll lie through their teeth which shows no integrity and honesty within this company. Also they couldn’t even give actual uniforms and gave cheap t-shirts to wear instead. They might - more...
Pros
A few coworkers were decent, easy tasks
Cons
Everything else
Worked here many moons ago and I did really enjoy my time here. Mainly this was because of the people I worked with, very easy going, friendly, generally a happy place to work. Some members of staff and management who I won't name were awful to work with, rude and this particular manager would punish you for silly things but overall a great job. Fast paced sometimes, but never a dull moment.
Pros
Fun and friendly colleagues
Cons
Couple of rude management and staff members
The manager is really not a nice person at all. Would not recommend working here in the slightest. Very stressful, very isolating. Awful place to work.
Cons
4 nights on 4 days off 12 hour shifts. You average walking over 14 miles per shift . 4 days off is fine but it takes about 3 days to recover from from your 4 on. Management dont really know much about man management and they sometimes have unrealistic expectations of you. The canteen is good. Highly recommended job for fitness fanatics and yes men.There is some real good banter with the blue collar staff but the manager's are elitist and theres definitely a them and us culture
Pros
Weekly pay 4 days off
Cons
Sore back and feet. Inadequate managers
You are forced to give out a free membership card to every customer even to those who say no or are in a rush. You have a limit of 3 'lost customers' a day for an 8h shift. These cards are a marketing scheme to send "deals and vouchers" to customers. If you have more than 3 people saying no a day, you are punished, and put on a warning until ultimately you are fired.
Pros
Cons
Membership cards are the only important thing, bad hours, hard to get to if no car
This company has a good environment within their store in regards to relationships with colleagues and management, however this does not compensate for the poor treatment of staff lower down the ranks. Pay is poor, not worth it for the amount of work you will do at all. As well, you are constantly bombarded for extra hours to be added on to shifts as well as calls on rest days asking you to come in an hour before it is needed.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, poor pay
Good place to work. I started on Ecomm as a picker then as i kept hiting my targets i keep geting trained in new area's until i became a cover clerk then clerk and now section leader. If you work hard and show you have the abilty to learn you can move up.
Pros
Good people on shift and a chance to learn new skills and grow as a person
Cons
Picking/packing can get repetitive. 4 on 4 off 12 hour shift patten
this job made me very low, they don’t seem to care about you as a person or your life outside of work, i am in full time education and i work 4 or 5 shifts a week on top of this, please do not take a job here if you’re not mentally stable
Pros
lots of shifts if u want them
Cons
low pay, not flexible
Awful company to work for. The manager is extremely rude and couldn’t care less about you as a person. They speak to you like you are nothing and don’t even thank you for doing any extra shifts. The rotas get put up on such short notice so sometimes you don’t even know if you’re supposed to work the next day. Completely unrealistic standards that they expect their employees to reach. Avoid at all costs if you have self respect - this is the worst job I’ve ever had purely because of the manager. Extremely toxic work environment. It would be a decent place if the manager wasn’t there.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, unrealistic standards, poor work life balance, rotas posted at short notice
Working for Matalan came with the excitement of various job roles, a supportive and friendly group of colleagues and a work environment that changes and keeps you moving. For the first year, I was enjoying my role.Despite this, however, as time progressed the role became repetitive, tedious, and more mentally draining than it is worth. Due to Managements failure to properly staff the shop floor, queues became long and impatient and I became the person whom every customer would vent their anger and frustration, often making defamatory comments about myself personally.Particular staff members became lazy and off-loaded their work on to you, often without any repercussions or intervention from Management. Taking a holiday or a genuine sick day was responded with comments and office meetings that would belittle you and make you feel guilty for doing so, let alone how pre-school you were treated and the staff room felt.Despite my best commitments when facing a family death, Management offered me little support and became abrupt, making me feel extremely unwelcome. Acquiring my P45 took countless emails and phone calls before I could even attain the document.I wouldnt suggest your time and effort as companies elsewhere provide a better atmosphere and support for their own staff.
Pros
Friendly Colleagues, Easy to commute to, Varied Shifts, 8-Hour shifts
Cons
Poor Management, No Career Progression, Minimum Pay (No enhancements), Little to none Lunch facilities, Staff not valued
When I applied to work here it took almost 2 months before I even got a reply. Although the interview process was good some questions were mostly to find out how they could improve as a company, which is understandable, yet hard to answer.The pay felt a little under what I would expect considering the hours drag out. I was also told that I would be trained in the stockroom and I wasn’t allowed to work there unless I was trained, yet on my first day I was told to go straight in without any supervision and had to find my own way around the area. I applied to work for 8 hours and was told if I worked over then I would be paid extra, which I wasn’t. The payment was always two weeks behind, which wasn’t a problem for me but I was made aware that for other employees it was. I was asked in the interview what hours I could work, told I wasn’t expected to work every Saturday. Not only did they work me 8 hours every Saturday (which is the max hours I applied for) and then on Sunday too, but they also put me down to work on days that I specifically told them I was unable to work. When I informed them I was unable to work these days they would change them and then put me down to work the same day every single week. Everyday I told them about this issue it felt as if I was more of a burden for continuing to ask. The pros for working here was that the other employees were very friendly and the job was easy to do. I was also paid for the training day, which was very much appreciated.
Pros
Life insurance included.
Cons
Bad pay, bad management, lack of communication and made to feel more like a burden than appreciated.
Hated working there.They would decide on a Friday that you were having promos on a Tuesday so that weekend you thought you were going to be off oh no not anymore even if you had things planned and considering they did that every week you get the picture.No work life balance whatsoever just the needs of the business.You could go in on a Monday and be told you were on a late without any prior warning and told to go home until that shift
Pros
The longer you work there the more holidays and staff discount you get
Cons
Not knowing day to day what hours you would be working
I was a department manager a role which now has probably been turned into a trade manager or duty manager role. I really enjoyed managing a high turnover department and duty managing a multi million pound store.
Pros
Great fun, great challenge great staff and management, good progression.
Cons
I had to work night shifts, had this been explained at the interview stage or in my contract I would have declined the role.
I personally needed a change. Something differentI've been working there for 1year , so I just wanna try new thing in life.I enjoyed working there. A lot of college are very sweet and make you feel comfortable. Sweet place .
Pros
No free lunches.
Cons
Depends of there is overtime availble.
I worked at queen st Cardiff Matalan for 5 years great place to work for left due to ill health it was like a huge family xmade many good friends and loved helping customers I would recommend working for this company
Pros
Great people to work for
Cons
It is a hard environment working in a warehouse, but this one has a positive energy! I definitely recommend the job! And if you think that you exercise duding work, that makes it more fancy and save money in your pockets, instead of going at gym.
Management is disgusting and are far from supportive. All they care about is earning money, if you don’t reach their standards then they won’t hesitate to terminate your contract if you’re on a temp contract or only part time. Whatever availability you put down they’ll take advantage of that and overwork you and won’t take no for an answer, if they ask you to do overtime it’s more like pressurising you to do the extra hours instead of asking. If you’re going through something out of work they won’t support you they tell you to leave it at the doorstep and concentrate on your work as it shouldn’t distract you, they don’t understand or support you. Unless you want more stress in your life and want to work for a company that doesn’t care about you then go ahead. Only good thing was making friends with my employees.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Poor management, no support at all.
You feel safe there , everyone you work with you know will help you if you need it, the managers are extremely helpful & look out for you. Even if you need to leave a bit earlier to help you get home , they will make things easier for you.
Pros
Extremely friendly colleagues.
Cons
Short hours.
I was very enthusiastic at the start of my job however now being there for a year the environment is clearly intended to make money therefore there is not much care for the employees. It is also horrendous working long shifts for minimum wage. The business sells so much but does not value that in their employees which is the opposite of motivating.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Pay
  1. Employee reviews