McColl's Retail Group

McColl's Retail Group Employee Reviews

Found 1,289 reviews matching the search
They never give a fair rota everyone got their set days. Constantly doing weekends. Always night shift where we get robbed every night. No security, don’t care about staff being ill. Get spoken to like something on the bottom of your shoe. It affect my mental health as a results I left with a immediate affect. Don’t bother working there you will find it hard to get out of the business. You complain to your boss does nothing you go to area manager they do nothing because they believe the line manager not their staff. Everyone contract say you work weekends too. Some members of staff never do weekends ever. Complete joke
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Working every weekend
You get blamed even if not your fault as you in charge of shift left there as pay not to good either and manager never took responsibility to the staff either
Could be better pay, no more lone working. As its risky to the staff members. Other than that it's a great work place. Thanks for reading.............
Pros
Good hours, great team members
Cons
Mangers are rude
Company keeps making change to management. Screwing most people over and leaving more work to underpaid supervisors and sales assistants. Minimum wage does NOT cut it
Cons
Great place to work . We are like a little family and are a great team . All our customers are lovely . Never a dull moment . Plenty to do and opportunities to climb the ladder . Plenty training provided and support from my manager is amazing .
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Would like more contracted hours
Management not very good, pay rubbish with no bonus, greedy company with no staff benifits except 10% discount on certain goods, singled manned most times in dangerous situations, they dont care about the danger the staff are in in troublesome and vulnerable areas. Basically not an enjoyable company to work for.
Worst company I have ever worked for. Always on your own from start to end of shift, which most of the time was from when the store opened until it closed. Unable to go to the toilet which resulted in health problems. Problems are never fixed when you tell area management.
Pros
None.
Cons
Long hours, no extra pay, constantly working alone
The job itself is extremely simple really, good first job but nothing more. My store was practically snakey, assistant manager is a liar and would go out of his way to try and show you he was boss, on a power trip. I felt the company itself isn't great also very little reward and incentives to actually strive to do better as no progression was offered.
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
No social life, poor management, little incentive
childish, poor weak management. lack of communication.staff talking about other staff behind their back and in front of customers.staff complaining about other staff lack of performance.
Pros
10% discount card
Cons
no structure for days or hours of work.
After they decided to close subway, I was able to transfer over to McColls. Great! Started out perfectly! But when I transferred stores it all went down hill. 12-Close constantly as a deputy, not various shifts as promised, I had NO life, very little reward in return for giving up my mental state, Worked 16 days straight on 2 separate occasions, I mentioned issues to my area manager and I felt so small because the official chat regarding my hours was on the shop floor so all customers could hear! Some stores are great but some managers clearly aren’t on the same page as them great managers.
Pros
Saved my job during a global crisis
Cons
Very silly working Rota’s, mental state takes a HUGE hit, no personal life, no challenge. Only deputy’s close.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at McColl's Retail Group?
I love working at mccolls because everyone is so friendly and they all have nice manners, they are great with the store and with customers and I’ve made some friends out of them all which is good
Pros
Kind staff
Cons
Not enough hours
No problems with paid. No problems with menagers. Nice atmosphere. Always helpful. Very friendly staff. No problem with holidays. No problems with unexpected day off. Great company
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
If you want to be treated as a robot go ahead bad pay 5am to 11pm too many drunks and shop lifters. Work alone most of the time management useless, bad pay long hours
Pros
Non
Cons
It was the worst place I have ever work most of the staff are family ( mother and daughters) they did what they wanted no training and then when it goes wrong they sack you
Cons
Backwards company with everything they do! Absolutely clueless!Maintenance depts useless!Nothing works!Lone working is high on the agenda! If you like working with no one else in the store, open to threat of whoever walks in, this job is for you!!I could list many other negatives but as a manager I felt awful I couldn’t provide my colleagues a safe workplace!
Pros
I left
Cons
Too many to count. Lasted 5 months! Happier within 48hrs of leaving! Incidentally, I’d been in retail well over 25yrs, so knew exactly what retail is! This is very sloppy retailing !
Working here was amazing I loved the staff and the people I work along side or to help the customer. I learnt a lot here from stock checking and rotating to promo stocking and lots more. Management was good very caring and supportive of the staff. The hardest part of the job was to juggle your tasks like stocking management and date checking to handling customers with help or to make a transaction. The most enjoyable place was its all from the amazing staff members to the customers.
Pros
None i can think of
Cons
Nono i can thinnk of
Management is a shambles. Promise the world and give you nothing. Makes you work hard and then give it away to someone else who never worked for company. Joke! Never work here. Definitely not under the new area manager of South Wales.
Pros
There isnt any
Cons
Long hours and no thanks.
Avoid avoid ,only apply if you are desperate the stress level will be extremely high and your work life balance will be nonexistent. Upper management will promise the earth and deliver zero.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Horrible place to work, treat you terrible.,really long hours and you don't get paid for the hours you do, always self manned and even if the shop has been held up shocking. I was driving to places 2hrs drive away from home and I was made to do round tripsv
Cons
As a colleague who has been working with McColl's for 4 years, you get treated like a robot more than a colleague. The back shift staff get way too much pressure put on them to do jobs that end up leaving the shop untidy, you get told off more than you do praised which drains morality, the security is shocking, there's not enough staff to keep the shop nice and tidy and the management can be biast towards who's getting disciplined.
Pros
My workplace is nearby
Cons
I worked for McColls for almost 3 years, promoted from sales assistant to supervisor within 3 months of having the job. I had been in 3 seperate stores and have honestly never been more dissapointed with any company. The staff you work with can be great people, however, the company you work for not so much. They don't have your interests at heart and have no empathy for you in any situation. They over work you and under appreciate you. And believe me, you're always 'expendable' to them. Do yourselves a favour and work for the bigger retailers like Tesco or Asda ect. You will have more job security and most likely better rates of pay. Oh, and they will care about your wellbeing too which is a bonus! Do yourself a favour, steer clear of the over priced items and get yourself a better deal else where.
Pros
None, the only legal day you get off is christmas day, and even then they have some stores open on christmas day which is disgusting.
Cons
Stupidly long hours, a lot ot lone working to the point you can't even go to the toliet when you need to, which is a basic human right.