McColl's Retail Group

McColl's Retail Group Employee Reviews

Found 1,298 reviews matching the search
I worked for McColls in all the possible job roles. My biggest issue was the corporate energy in a small village/community atmosphere (I would get told off by AMs for having local based leaflets/information in store, even bus timetables) the store was the community hub but these things weren’t allowed. Products would come in be popular and then get removed from sale so customers were constantly disappointed made worse by frequent chiller/freezer breakdowns that would mean no milk or frozen items for weeks. There seemed to be no desire to upgrade equipment regardless of stock losses in the thousands. We were expected to do WAY TO MUCH for the amount of staff we had and on top of that staffing hours were constantly being decreased to save money for the company but the expectations and standards remained the same. Managers on 42-45 hours a week salary worked up to and exceeding 60-70 hours a week with no extra pay, no appreciation and all because they wanted to save money on staff. The management was often earning only slightly more than a supervisor and the supervisor was working half the hours. The pressure and expectation was unfair and there was very little support. Quick to chastise when something goes wrong but little praise when things are going right. The expectation to weed out the front of the store, serve customers, clean within store, fill shelves, “face up” and more with a maximum of 2 people working at any one time was impossible and lead to a lot of staff doing unpaid overtime to get things done.
Pros
Customers and colleagues
Cons
Area Managers, Company expectations, Pay
Was the best 5 years of my working life. Everything that I did was greatAlways had work available and got on well with everyoneEveryone was so tight knit and worked well together and got on really wellGreat working environment
Pros
Everything. Great place to work
Cons
Nothing bad really at all
I wasted 5 years of my life with this company and left with ptsd and trust issues. I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy. Avoid where possible.
Pros
I met my fiance and best friend there
Cons
Little wages, no benefits
You have to be flexable.Sometimes xonstantly on the go.Alsobow its PO plus retail.Nevwr boribg.Custonwrs are great and it is a great place to work take in turns to do weekends.Manager is great and if you feel uncomfortable about anyrhing she will have time to talk and hekp.
Pros
Tea and Coffee free
Cons
Mixed shifts
It is okay is the management like you. If they don't, they make shifts more difficult and aren't very supportive. After a robbery occurs they dont offer you any time off or support.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Bad management, no support
You’ll either be working all the time or never at all - there is no in between!They are consistently cutting hours from stores who are already struggling and pay is staying a few pence above minimum wage. Stores are constantly being robbed with weapons yet nothing is being done about security?Day to day working in the store is great if you get along well with your colleagues (considering how small the teams are).
No career progression, hard work does not get recognised, variety of colleagues some very friendly and approachable, others you feel uncomfortable around, would not recommend based on my experiences.
They give you nothing but expect the world back in return.If you had a sick call in an an evening your going to be doing a very long day.area managers aren't bothered and your definitely not being paid for it.Your not going to be taking the time back either Run poorly from above.nobody listens they'd only be bothered if the cash stops coming in.
Pros
A job
Cons
Long hours, that you dont get paid for if salary
Terrible don't work for them they are not a good firm to work for they every look after there staff they only look after the big bosses not the people that do all the work the shop assistants
Cons
You get blamed even if not your fault as you in charge of shift left there as pay not to good either and manager never took responsibility to the staff either
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at McColl's Retail Group?
Could be better pay, no more lone working. As its risky to the staff members. Other than that it's a great work place. Thanks for reading.............
Pros
Good hours, great team members
Cons
Mangers are rude
Company keeps making change to management. Screwing most people over and leaving more work to underpaid supervisors and sales assistants. Minimum wage does NOT cut it
Cons
They never give a fair rota everyone got their set days. Constantly doing weekends. Always night shift where we get robbed every night. No security, don’t care about staff being ill. Get spoken to like something on the bottom of your shoe. It affect my mental health as a results I left with a immediate affect. Don’t bother working there you will find it hard to get out of the business. You complain to your boss does nothing you go to area manager they do nothing because they believe the line manager not their staff. Everyone contract say you work weekends too. Some members of staff never do weekends ever. Complete joke
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Working every weekend
Great place to work . We are like a little family and are a great team . All our customers are lovely . Never a dull moment . Plenty to do and opportunities to climb the ladder . Plenty training provided and support from my manager is amazing .
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Would like more contracted hours
Management not very good, pay rubbish with no bonus, greedy company with no staff benifits except 10% discount on certain goods, singled manned most times in dangerous situations, they dont care about the danger the staff are in in troublesome and vulnerable areas. Basically not an enjoyable company to work for.
Worst company I have ever worked for. Always on your own from start to end of shift, which most of the time was from when the store opened until it closed. Unable to go to the toilet which resulted in health problems. Problems are never fixed when you tell area management.
Pros
None.
Cons
Long hours, no extra pay, constantly working alone
The job itself is extremely simple really, good first job but nothing more. My store was practically snakey, assistant manager is a liar and would go out of his way to try and show you he was boss, on a power trip. I felt the company itself isn't great also very little reward and incentives to actually strive to do better as no progression was offered.
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
No social life, poor management, little incentive
childish, poor weak management. lack of communication.staff talking about other staff behind their back and in front of customers.staff complaining about other staff lack of performance.
Pros
10% discount card
Cons
no structure for days or hours of work.
After they decided to close subway, I was able to transfer over to McColls. Great! Started out perfectly! But when I transferred stores it all went down hill. 12-Close constantly as a deputy, not various shifts as promised, I had NO life, very little reward in return for giving up my mental state, Worked 16 days straight on 2 separate occasions, I mentioned issues to my area manager and I felt so small because the official chat regarding my hours was on the shop floor so all customers could hear! Some stores are great but some managers clearly aren’t on the same page as them great managers.
Pros
Saved my job during a global crisis
Cons
Very silly working Rota’s, mental state takes a HUGE hit, no personal life, no challenge. Only deputy’s close.
I love working at mccolls because everyone is so friendly and they all have nice manners, they are great with the store and with customers and I’ve made some friends out of them all which is good
Pros
Kind staff
Cons
Not enough hours
No problems with paid. No problems with menagers. Nice atmosphere. Always helpful. Very friendly staff. No problem with holidays. No problems with unexpected day off. Great company
Pros
Staff discount