McColl's Retail Group

United Kingdom1,423 reviews

Found 1,423 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,453 reviews
shoppapertillrotaroundwhilststocklone

Really underpaid staff

McColls need to seriously re think the wages they pay there employees! £9.65 for management & £9.50 for a team member is shocking. Co-op and other convenience store pay far better. They wonder why nobody want to work for them, Esp when Cost of living has risen significantly. There shops don’t have enough core hours. Therefore when we get big orders 5 days a week there’s no extra staff to help work the orders. So your juggling serving, working an order plus all the other jobs they expect from you in a day. Morrisons have recent bought mcColls so things can only get better.

slow and boring

stand most of the day dealing with shoplifters and junkies, head office offer no real help or advice. the shops are usually small and dingy and the company offer no real progression at any point.

Pros

Cons

Loads

Insights into McColl's Retail Group

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager

Cooperative and frienfly work place

It was a good working enviroment to work for and friendly colleagues to work with. I learnt from the colleagues a lot and am always grateful for being given a chance to know them.

Poor pay. Not flexible for working parents

Pay is rubbish, no support from above. Shop is falling apart and is embarrassing for customers to see. Our work load is too much for a single person on a shift

Difficult place to work.

At first I enjoyed working there I had good colleagues there and the shift pattern was well balanced.However, my boss had drove them out of the company and very soon he drove me out.Staff were treated terribly with poor pay and no real benefits working there wouldn't recommend.

Pros

3 amazing memebers of staff.

Cons

Unfair shift patterns, poor pay etc.

Wouldn't return

Huge imbalance with work/personal life. Expected too much for so little/nothing back. Recieved no help from management. Not worth stress and hassle what so ever.

Fun place to work.

I loved my time at McColl's, the manager was always supportive and listened to you if you had a issue's. Fellow members of staff were brilliant to work with, very friendly, we always had each others back.

Pros

Excellent manager and staff.

Cons

None.

Lousy

Lousy company and we can all see why now. Morrisons are currently no better allowing mccolls managemne t who got them into the mess to keep running it. Basic bay, expected to work everyone else's shift. Alright for management to spend time with family but god forbid you ever want to!

Pros

Cons

Basic pay, anything above sales assistant isn't being just for na extra 15p, be expected to Ci er everyone else's shifts, have no family time

Manipulative and disrespectful

My manager rudely insulted I myself and other colleagues on many occasions. They take advantage. Make you seem like a lesser part of the company and puts themselves first rather then their staff. We couldn’t go through a day without a problem, either being a situation with the manager or a colleague, or something in the store not working like the Costa machine, a very late delivery or even all the tills In the store crashing which put sales at a holt and having to turn away customers. I would never recommend McColls as a place to work at.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Unorganised and discouraging

0 career prospects. Health and safety isn't a requirement for this job.

To start of training was non existant. I mean completly non existant. Most of the time was spent preventing shoplifters. No one had an appetiete for change.Management throws false accusations at you. I wouldn't trust management to run a bath as they can't run a refrigerator.

Pros

Leaving, Leaving and well Leaving

Cons

False accusations

I enjoyed my time there

I worked at maple cross and loved it and my manager was great, only issues I had was with handful of rude customers apart from that was fun and nice place to work the team I had was lovely and became good friends, I was discussed about the abuse they would get from customers though, maple cross seems to be a racist area and lots of thieving customers. I only gave a 4 star rate because of the customer base. Not the shop

Pros

Discounts and over time always available

Cons

Didn’t enjoy delivery days lifting heavy stuff but it’s normal

Relaxed but company has issues

Relaxed and a easy job from someone who had a supermarket background. However the company has too many issues with shop maintenance not happening, supplier issues and poor wages causing staffing issues

Look elsewhere

Those above store level have 0 interest in your well being or health, as long as the shop is open, even at the time when COVID-19 was prevalent. The colleagues that I worked with were great and got me through the day to day stresses and mismanagement of those above me

Pros

Meeting friendly customers and colleagues hopefully

Cons

Too long to put here

Not a great place to work

Very hard work for minimal pay and no benefits. No incentive to achieve targets when not linked to a bonus. Area manager was vile. Hard to keep staff motivated when they have no incentive to meet targets

Awful place to work, Run by monkeys who have no clue about retail, staff or customers needs.

Literally the worst company you could work for. Due to the decisions of head office and the board they've run the business into the ground. They have you working every hour under the sun with no family life. They constantly cut the hours in the shop to balance the books, so staff end up lone working for hours on end. The pay is terrible for all levels, especially when your on salary, and you end up working 50+ hours a week. The shops are run down with no money spent on them. Only plus side is it's easy to get promoted, so can be a stepping stone for greater things.

Pros

10% discount

Cons

long hours, depression, no family life, lone working, poor pay, no upper management support, poor morale within stores, shops are poorly maintained, dirty, the list goes on.

Okay

Nothing more to say wasnt that interresting, wouldve been nicer working a button factory and eating cheese. Wouldnt reccomend if you dont like the crisps

Fun work place.

McColls is a great place to work There is always something to do,We’re always busy, and the customers are very polite! It’s a great place to work!

Pros

Discount

Cons

Stressful and not staff focused

Long unsociable hours, (expected to work Christmas day) not much room for progression. Can be difficult to book holiday. People were great to work with. But management did not care about staff.

Boring

This job was so boring. Barely anything to do and the customers are… colourful. Hours are flexible around what you need, and it’s easy work. However it gets very boring very quickly. Try find jobs to do but nothing to do. Expected to deal with rude customers who shout abuse and awful pay

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Awful pay

Very poor morale at our store.

Does not appear to be much training,can be hard work clearing up after others,working alone is very depressing.wages minimum wage says it all.never see senior management,csn never get answers to questions.

Pros

None come to mind

Cons

Never seen product waste on this scale before.

The Company

The Company itself doesn't care about you. It has the lowest possible wages and the only people who care about you are your colleges. The Company refuses to spend money on the shops for improvement. the systems they use in the shop are old and outdated. The team you work with are nice and so are the customers but that's about it. If you work hard there is no bonus and the only way to get a higher pay is to have a birthday.

Pros

10% discount

Cons

Most things

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McColl's Retail Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement