Medivet Group logo

Medivet Group Employee Reviews

2.7
Work-life balance

Understaffed and overworked

Always understaffed and clients expect too much as do management. Due to understaffing patient safety is at risk. Mental health under strain all the time

Extremely passionate and hardworking people

8 months into the role and it's crackers - in a good way. Started in between lockdowns, experiencing a new way of working in a new industry, and I've got the most supportive line manager. Every person I have met so far has been so incredibly passionate about our patients and achieving gold standards at all of our clinics. The biggest challenge has been giving our leaders the confidence to deal with humans! Giving support to the individuals that need it and not standing individuals who put our patient's care at risk.

Pros

Supportive leadership team

Cons

Technology

An exciting time to be part of a progressive company

We share the same trials and tribulations as our colleagues and peers across the entire veterinary sector, especially over the past year which has been a trying time for all. However what is particularly inspiring about being part of Medivet is being part of a positive movement and a company actively identifying some of the difficulties being faced in the veterinary sector. These include addressing mental health and wellbeing of employees and focusing on this area as a priority and creating a positive culture. Medivet is also working towards better people development and career opportunities across the board, especially for veterinary nurses.Do we always get it right, no, but with a focus on creating a better culture throughout I feel we are going in the right direction. Clinic staff are so dedicated and work tirelessly to do the best job for their clients and pets, supporting them to do this is the best part of my job. As with any management position many aspects of my day to day job can be stressful but ultimately being able to make and see positive changes in the people and clinics I work with is very rewarding.

Great Company to work for

I have recently finished a maternity cover temporary role as a regional director. I have to say the amount of support and training I received was exceptional. Being one of the most difficult times as COVID hit just as I started I was so fortunate to have the support and wealth of knowledge from the clinical operations team. The patients and clinical staff are always the main priority of the company and they work hard to try and support as much as possible in these uncertain times.I learnt so much from my role and felt I grew so much from being given this great opportunity.

Pros

Great Support from management

Cons

Time sensitive decisions and deadlines does mean occasional overtime required, but this is very rare.

Negative Management

The new inexperienced clinical operations senior management team regularly make confusing decisions. They treat their team as assets with little personal engagement. You work way beyond your contracted hours trying to keep the branches functioning as there has been little support from support centre, but then only cherry picked negative events are used as performance management that often have no basis. The right type of support is not given from the clinical operations senior management team.Agree with previous review; Company has an internal culture of hypocrisy and bias that encourages employees to leave.The company values of Progressive, Caring, Trustworthy and Exceptional are not practiced. Progressive management style scorned, micromanagement is still stuck culturally.

Pros

Dedicated staff in the branches

Cons

- Long hours, Poor support, No clear performance management or what is expected in role, Inexperienced Senior Management behaving as if people are dispensable at their whim, Low investment in clinics

Supportive and understanding

I have worked for Medivet for almost four years now. I can honestly say that in the 25 years I been in Veterinary Practice, Medivet has offered the most support in all aspects of my role.The job itself is stressful at times and very fast paced. However, being part of such a well managed, supportive team of professionals helps greatly. The salary here is better than any Veterinary Company I have worked for previously and is reviewed fairly.The work life balance could be a little better though. Shift times can be a little demanding, especially as you get older! As a company, I feel they are trying very hard now to have a better understanding of the needs of their staff. Hopefully there will be positive outcomes in the future.

Pros

The Boss makes a great brew! Good Team Spirit. Supportive colleagues.

Cons

Hours of work can be tedious, stress levels can be high.

Great company

I started working for medivet in september 2020. The interview process was very professional, my collegues are lovely and everyone works so hard. We all want to provide the best care possible for our clients and patients. The balance between work and home life is amazing.

Pros

Rota based weekends

Cons

My experience at Medivet family was brilliant

I really enjoyed my time working at Medivet, I was new to the animal hospital environment but they were very supportive with me and encouraged me all the way.The managers were excellent with mental health I reccomend working with the company

Pros

Animal discounts

Cons

Average hours

Productive and fun place to work.

Medivet is a great company to work for, it is a very professional yet fun environment to work in. The staff are very friendly and I have been lucky to form lovely friendships with my work colleagues both in the Main Hospital and the Branches. The management team are very friendly and supportive through all aspects of work including encouraging further learning and CPD, including supporting staff in obtaining certificates. I am very fortunate to work in a busy hospital with a lot of varied surgical and medical cases, this has certainly shaped me to be a knowledgeable and confident nurse, I can't thank Medivet enough for that. A typical day can include a shift rotation on either consults; we are very proud to have great nurse led clinics, we pride ourselves on being friendly and knowledgeable. We can see a wide range of appointments from second vaccinations to wound management. This is a great shift to get to know the clients and bond them to the practice. Medicine shift; this includes caring for our many inpatients. Some of which will be staying with us following surgeries such as orthopaedics/major surgery, while other patients will be our medical patients for varied reasons. This is by far my favourite shift, caring for those patients including the critically ill. Theatre shift; this is varied and exciting as we recently had a C.T machine installed so this can vary between orthopaedics, soft tissue and imaging. I thoroughly enjoy working in a fast paced varied clinical environment with plenty of support.

Pros

Good Holiday Allowance and Fair bank Holiday structure.

Cons

Work life balance could be better, but that's the profession not the company.

Great Company To Work For

I started with Medivet in 2017 as a Client Care Assistant. I have since progressed to a Patient Care Assistant, and most recently Practice Coordinator.I have made some of my best friends through working for Medivet, and can always count on other staff members for support when needed. Including from the management team at support centre. Working hours are long, however weekends are on a rota basis so you do get some weekends off to relax!Over time is usually available too! Medivet have always been very supportive of me and I feel it is a great company to work for!

Pros

Support, fair salary

Jobs at Medivet Group

See more jobs

Definitely recommend! Wouldn't work anywhere else.

I worked as a student to RVN under Medivet Northwest Region. I did leave the company at one point but never felt the family mentality I had before so ended up returning in less than a year. I'm now the HRVN at the 24hour hospital all from being a student. Medivet's management support those eager to progress and make it happen. Supported me in completing multiple certificates too which I couldn't afford alone.

Pros

Good progession opportunities, flexibility, understanding management

Cons

OOH I guess but its rarely used.

Great place to start a career

I have been with Medivet over 18 months as a patient care assistant. The majority of these start as “float” staff, moving around practices to cover staffing levels. The interviewers were friendly and approachable, with it lasting just over an hour although it never felt difficult in talking to themI was placed at a great friendly practice with very competent staff from reception to vet. From day 1 I was included in all aspects of the daily routine, including getting hands on experience in surgery and procedures. For someone with limited experience I would recommend it as a place to start. Throughout my time management have been easily contactable and approachable and have accommodated me well with everything I have discussed with them. The PCA/CCA position is one where you can progress to train as an RVN and all vets I have met so far have embraced the opportunity to get you stuck in and help. As Medivet have many branches based around a central hub, you’ll find all the IT systems are connected and patient information accessible.

Pros

Higher wage than other companies, career progression and helpful staff members

Cons

You need to be able to deal with emotional clients and difficult conversations

An continuously improvement and fantastic progression

I started as a new graduate and went through their new graduate program, I became a mobile vet in the region for about 1 year. I spent time as an associate vet and now I am a branch partner. I’ve been with Medivet for 5 years and the progression took 3 years. The company had shown massive improvement in my time there and I feel valued and listened to. It’s not perfect, we have staffing issue and all other issues facing the profession. Overall I am very proud of the work I do and the company I work with. They do not deserve the bad star rating they have. We have 4 day working week, one in 3 Saturdays and back up on call which for the job is expected. I have a massive support by brilliant veterinarians around me, many with special interest and we all work together. It doesn't matter what clinic you work for, we all are on the same team.

Pros

Excellent progression

I have truly enjoyed being part of the Medivet group

I worked for Medivet for 4 years and has been a great place to work. As a veterinary surgeon I got all the support I needed to develop professionally and developed a good relationship with my colleagues and the management team. Since I started with the company 4 years ago there has been a major improvement in the work/life balance and I would say this aspect is very good at the moment. The management team was always very supportive and helpful, always trying to fix problems when they were reported.I have truly enjoyed being part of this team especially because all the colleagues were very friendly and supportive (including colleagues from different branches) and there was always someone to go to if you needed professional advice.Unfortunately I reached the decision to leave because I decided to take a different path in my career but it is definitely a company I would recommend and I would consider coming back to if my situation changes.

Pros

good support from management and colleagues, good salary and benefits

Supportive management

I worked for medivet as a receptionist for almost two years. During that time I found the management to be very helpful and supportive. They look after their staff with gifts at Christmas and for long service or just for a morale boost during busy times.

Pros

Genuinely care for their staff

Cons

Terrible management and bad atmosphere

As soon as i joined medivet, all the staff warned me that it’s a terrible company to work for and management are useless. This was not a great start, with so much staff turnover and mobile staff members there was always gossiping and bad tension. Management did nothing with problems raised. Under staffed all the time, Rotas changing at the last minute aswell. No guidance for staff members. Overall I would never work in a clinical setting with medivet again.

Cons

Poorly managed

Poor management, underpaid, overworked

I've worked for medivet for 5 years in different branches and roles. In all of them the management has been appalling no support and your job constantly threatened to strongarm you.The pay is not enough for the constant overtime, weekends and oncall. There is no work life balance. Practices are expected to work on minimal staff very often with no rvn. You are constantly overworked and stressed.

Pros

Pathway to rvn

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, poor management, bad working environments

Lovely team

Work with a lovely group of people. When I started as an area manager I was really well supported by my regional director and clinical operations manager. The role can come with a large work load but if you enjoy working with people and leading and developing others its a great role.

Pros

Great supportive leader

Cons

Work load

Supportive

Even though I don’t work in the vets I work along side them. Since we went into partnership with Medivet I personally have always felt supported At times when I felt I needed it. I have found the area and regional managers to be helpful and caring and do appreciate me within the practice.

Benefits

Good career progression

Medivet offers great career progression no matter your current Role with plenty of opportunities to develop new skills and knowledge. Oncall, bank holiday and weekend work is split fairly between staff. Well paidFriendly colleague's Opportunitys for overtime

Pros

Career development

Cons

Long hours, often working overtime

RVN liverpool

I have worked for Medivet for 4 years now so the initial interview process has changed a lot since then. When I interviewed it was more of a chat, whereas now I gather it’s a little more structured and intense.The work life balance isn’t great for the industry as a whole. The weekends are 1:8 for RVNs which is good compared to most, but the on call could be off putting to people who don’t enjoy that. As an RVN I get 25 holidays (plus bank holidays) which is very competitive.We also have to work at least one bank holiday a year in the 24h hospital, which is worked out fairly. I don’t mind this but could see if you’ve never had to work any bank holidays you may not enjoy working them.The salary with Medivet is great, and career advancement opportunities are also great. It would be nice if there were more benefits for bringing your own pets in for treatment such as an upfront staff discount, which is the case in most companies, instead of the point system Medivet uses.If you are currently wanting to become a veterinary nurse, the system is that you first become a patient care assistant, and then eventually gain a place at college to train as a student nurse. You gain excellent skills as a PCA first meaning you get a good head start by the time you’re in college. For some of the PCAs the wait might feel tedious but it’s worth waiting for the level of knowledge and experience you get just by being in that role. There is quite a changeover of staff as people move and change to take different paths in their career, but on the whole the staff in each practice are lovely and helpful -

Pros

Salary, weekend rota, training, holidays

Cons

On call, no staff discount

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Medivet Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8