Medway Council

Medway Council Employee Reviews

Low pay in comparison to neighboring LA's

In revs n bens, not much scope to progress, high pressured work load, not enough staff to cope with work load, lack of training, friendly and supportive colleagues and SO's, Flexible work life balance, choose to work from home or office or mix n match. Not enough interactions with team from upper management and above

Pros

Good work life balance, if your face fits you could go far.

Cons

Poor pay, very limited parking if office based

Supportive place to work

Absolutely love working here. Very supportive team who work together to help one another. Management very understanding to needs when concerning family and childcare. Very easy to approach if you are struggling or unsure on what to do

Pros

Flexibility in working

Cons

Cant really think of any

Friendly place to work

Very good grounding and training. Excellent career development and flexi time and lots of overtime available. Good helpful management and fair workload.

Pros

Flexi time and lots of overtime to earn extra money

Cons

Loved working at medway council

Always felt that I was secure in my job here. Always felt appreciated. Pay warns pants but people are good. Flexible working. Bus pass loan scheme or discounted bus tickets . Social club.

Pros

Cheap travel schemes

Cons

Pay advancement isn't good

Stressful experience

Medway council Social Service Team are stuck in the Stone age! Communication appalling, old-fashioned approach, like being at boarding school. Disrespectful and rude to their self employed foster carers, asking them to be professionals yet not treating them as such. No support, only hear from them when they want to complain. Focusing on ticking boxes, very high turn over of Social Workers. Avoid, i recommend KCC or private agency.

Pros

Being able to care for a foster child

Cons

Medway Council

Typical Local Government

A somewhat typically bogged down local government beauracracy machine. Very limited opportunities for advancement, and some lack of security because of the Council's limited budget - if someone leaves they are more likely to dissolve the role than recruit for it either internally or externally. Fair pay and generally very nice, approachable management, but not challenging and not open to new ideas.

Supported by management

Progression available and it was encouraged. Staff shared knowledge and experience with advice about processes. Councillors interested in project progress and supportive by attending meetings or events. Overall great employer.

I hated working at MC in the later years of my career. The restructures, the risk of redundancy, being put in jobs you hated.

Being Bullying by Management: Staff were stressed and worn out (Mental Health and Well-Being of Staff should be considered): Being treated like children than adults in a work environment: I did not enjoy or recommend working at MC.

Management are ignorant and only care about themselves

Once my old manager retired the new manager who took over became a little Hitler... He was previously a police officer and thought he was still in the police force... He treated everyone who was underneath him with the same discontent.. The power went straight to his head. He would kiss bottom with the best of them, to anyone above him.. Spineless person... Then a new manager came in to be under him and he turned out to be a complete yes man who was like a mini me of the ex copper... Who would spend most of his time bad mouthing other people in the team to me. So I can only imagine what he was saying to other members in the team about me I absolutely hated the place once the old management left... I wouldn't go back there if they offered me treble the money....

Pros

Cons

The management and senior management

Vibrant and fast-paced

Independent working to complete a heavy workload. Staff are by far the best asset and everyone looks out for each other. Various different areas to work in with every team working differently. Some teams offer flexible working.

Loved Medway

Only left due to distance from home. Great management team and just generally an upbeat supportive and collaborative culture across the whole service.

Poor culture

Unfortunately a very poor work culture internally. A bullying culture exists with widespread corruption and inefficiency. A “face fits” culture limits advancement. The organisation lacks forward planning and is ultimately driven by

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Appalling culture

Brilliant place to work

Loved working at medway, brilliant fun, lots of challenges but relaxed, very good colleagues, lots of ability to use new ideas, exciting discussions and managing significant budgets

Frequent change in management, inflexible

Friendly colleagues, but management were pushy to part time staff and did not feel valued. Not working directly under my line manager made the job more enjoyable as I felt more independent.

Pros

Colleagues and customers were friendly, not directly overshadowed by line manager

Cons

frequent changes in manager, expected to travel to various sites every week but not willing to pay expenses

Horrendous stressful work environment

Very stressful environment and poor managers. Always short staffed as people leaving! Staff are not valued by management. Expected to do tasks out of your job description training etc

Pros

Cant think of any

Cons

Most people stressed and unhappy

Nice friendly place to work

I worked here for 3 years. I found the staff helpful and the management approachable. I would work here again and would not hesitate to recommend Medway Council as an employer. The only downside was that the government had capped earnings for public sector workers, which made other employers a move attractive option.

My Experience

I worked very hard during the 13 weeks I managed to work as a newly qualified Social Worker. I loved the job and I felt fulfilled and independant, but I carried out tasks as instructed by the team leader who had memory loss difficulties such as organise child in need meetings then she would say she had not asked me to organise them. It would be arranged I would meet with her at a clients home or school and she would argue with a headteacher this was not so. For the last nine weeks I was working there for Two and a half days per week she was working at another centre and I was the only qualified SW in the building. One afternoon I telephoned out of courtesy about a child safeguarding concern to be abruptly told to deal with it. I did so liasing with police and other agencies . Although I was complimented by the police and thanked by another team the reprimand I received from my team leader was so disproportionate, shouting at me in front of my work colleagues and waiting clients. The reason I sadly gave up was because the manager instructed me to destroy a legal document regarding a family who were receiving intensive support at the time.. I felt the situation was dangerous. The manager was so intimidating I felt I could not cope with the situation. My self esteem and confidence were severely affected I could not approach the person above her because she was my team leader best friend. I felt very isolated and felt my position was untenurable.The exit interview was a joke, someone from civic centre was with her taking notes the whole time glaring at me and my supporter from -

Review

Medwayy council need to get up to date with the way they work. They are very much behind a lot of other councils Membets of there staff are extremely rude to other members of staff. They only give half hour lunch there are no schduled breaks. Your advised you can only take10mins to go toilet and make a hot drink

Productive and Supportive workplace

The team I worked with understood that I was an apprentice and that I would need extra training and more time going over work and checking the work I produce to ensure it is up to standards.

Best company to work for.

I enjoyed my time working for Medway council excellent cultural,it was a good experience the communication was very good,excellent management,sadly it was closed down ,but they were very helpful transfer you to another organisation with Medway Council .

Team Members are Excellent

My Team was Excellent and Supportive.The Issues I had were with HR,I believe that HR Need a lot of Diverse Training to equip themselves with Black Employers.

Pros

Team is excellent

Cons

HR need Restructuring

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Medway Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement