MENCAP

MENCAP Employee Reviews

It was a great job and service users were what made it special. You get back what you’re prepared to put in. You need to be self motivated and resourceful.
Pros
Trips out, some holidays
Cons
Sleepovers and some difficult situations
It’s really sad that I have to write this review. Unfortunately the people being supported suffer because there is too much animosity and arrogance among the staff team, which is awful considering this is THEIR home, and the management pick and choose when to intervene depending on whether their favourite staff members are involved. Higher management including general service managers, higher management AND area managers pick and choose when they will do their jobs properly based on whether or not it will benefit them, this affects the lives of the people being supported and it is disgusting. I have witnessed first hand, the area manager (unfortunately I cannot name her) bullying staff and treating people with very little respect so she can attempt to get her point across. There was a member of staff who was very much abusing their position and the people being supported and it took over a year for them to get the sack because they were blackmailing the area manager. This was brought up in multiple meetings, but she chose to ignore it for her own personal gain. I genuinely feel sympathy and my heart hurts to know that people are not getting the support and care they deserve, and families are suffering because of it. This company is toxic and promotes nothing but keeping your mouth shut in regards to safeguarding issues unless you have a way to bribe them to listen to you. I watched a number of people drops medication on a dirty floor and still administer it, I saw people being told they have to eat their dinner otherwise they wouldn’t get anything else and watched people - more...
I would avoid this company at all costs very untrustworthy and unreliable. They have favouritism when staff leave they only allow certain ones to come back when there conduct hasn't been great. While they tell other staff who are good, reliable, honest and trustworthy that they can't come back, and I have sent in an official complaint and it's been ignored which is very unprofessional.
Cons
I love working for Mencap as a Support Worker, the pay is not great but it is in line with the role in other organisations. My Manager is supportive and speaks to me on a regular basis to check in how I am. Working through the pandemic they created a real close knit team culture where we looked out for each other and worked together to solve issues. The PWS are brilliant, social services sometimes let us down but this is no fault of Mencap. I love my job and would not move to another organisation.
Pros
Feel included and part of the team.
Cons
Pay but this is the same across the country
It’s all changed, massive change in the houses because of management, no point of bringing any problems you have up as they will not care or deal with anything, the team will talk behind your back. feel sorry for the clients that live there because of the management! Awful place to work they will be nice until they get to know you or they are just show offs also you have no time for your self it’s all about work when you work there.
Pros
No one
Cons
Awful management
I worked for mencap for a number of year, bad management ignoring safe guarding issues, lazy staff, bullying very long hours and no appreciation for hard working support workers.
Pros
The people we support
Cons
staff at mencap are under paid for what they do. senior management are all about money & not staff well-being. residents are not listened to hy senior managers, underpaid for staying awake all night with residents & expected to do 7 hours on shift then a waking night where you sleep around 2 hours & then into another 7 hour shift, sometimes staff do not turn up. your exhausted from being awake all night & still only paid £30 when your awake all night because of realsidents.
Pros
Cons
terrible senior management, always about money never staff well-being & residents well-being
I worked in several services. Some in Suffolk, some in Lincolnshire. My work in Suffolk was adorable. Everyone had a understanding of person centred approach. Teams and managers were great.Sadly Lincolnshire culture did not compare with Suffolk services. Severn years of disappointment. Observing punitive practices. Rasicist staff. Often, I helped out on days off.... I never felt appreciated. I would willingly speak with the CEO if allowed. My wish is Lincolnshire services are improved and updated from the 1980s outdated style of support.
Pros
Suffolk
Cons
Lincolnshire
Managment was awful. Don’t care the slightest about their staff and they’re all just too chummy and if you’re not chummy with them all they treat you awfully. I wouldn’t suggest to anyone
Pros
Some of the staff members were lovely
Cons
Won’t even get a free cup of tea
There was only a small number of service users and staff but I enjoyed going to work every day. The manager was always there to support you and you could go to her at any time.
Pros
Lovely staff and manager
Cons
Little low paid.
Was fun and a learning curve good work experience gives you an insite into different people days and lives defo recommended for young people looking for work experience
Pros
Work experience with disabled kids
Cons
Entire day taken
I gained NVQ3 in adult health and social care and increased my knowledge throughout my 8 years employed at mencap. I learnt so much about learning difficulties and dementia whin the service. I gained more knowledge attending courses regularly.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
I didn't come from a care background when they took me on for this job. There were two types of training, informative (out-house) and practical (in-house/on the job). The on the job training was terrible and I got no support in the house. One of my managers had signed off my paperwork to say he had witnessed me carry out all practical tasks even though on some he showed me once then I was left to do it without aid. I was also left on my own on many occasions with a client that had very complex health issues that I wasn't trained for and the training was life saving. I never felt secure or confident in this job through lack of support and practical training. It was also a very gossip central house, which would often discuss others private life out loud and in front of clients which always made me feel uncomfortable as I felt it was unprofessional and unfair on the person being spoken about as they were often not in the room. Team leaders and management were often the ones starting such conversations. I also raised concerns about a clients safety twice, which were ignored and I was just told it didn't know what I was talking about as I was new. I heard many stories about other houses being similar and that in fact I was in one of the better houses, which always shocked me.
Pros
Clients were loving and was rewarding looking after them
Cons
Lack of support and in house training. Safety concerns ignored
If you're thinking about getting a job with Mencap don't culture of bullying and manages that to not really care about the clients and their families .
Pros
the people
Cons
poor managers
There seems more emphasis on form filling than the PWS. Most colleagues great to work with but could have done with a Senior on site to make decisions rather than leave things to each other. It did not seem a fair process through Covid and on leaving did not get a reply from HR, hence doing this review, despite my email. Paid ok but no pay slip was forwarded either! The guys we supported made it a reasonably comfortable place to work but there wasn't chance of any progress.
Pros
Great people to support and some fine colleagues.
Cons
Management let me down and lack of compassion shown through Covid
One of the better companies to work for in the industry. I've worked for quite a few companies while working for an agency. UBU being the worst by far.
Terrible place to work, left to sort stuff out on your own with no thanks or help, management useless and would much rather sit talking about people and holidays rather than sorting out the important stuff like staff and helping service users.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Management, under appreciated
If you are starting out in support work. I do not recommend working for Mencap.Good points: service users were great, nice area with lots to do, staff team wasn’t terrible when I first started.Bad points:I worked for Mencap for a number of years and the manager who ran the service would give their friends every weekend off and all the shifts that suit them. The ones the manager didn’t favour would have all the anti social shifts. Manager would use the disabled badges to park closer to the service when the rest of us had to walk 20 minutes away from our cars. A co worker who had a learning difficulty had been bullied out of the job because they found some big tasks difficult. Manager tried to sabotage my references when agreeing to give me one. As time went on the manager replaced a lot of the team with their friends and phased out the staff that had been there a long time. Staff would be expected to work a 15 hour shift on overtime without being asked.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Management abusing their power
You get no support, I was bullied and put in a complaint nothing was done, 4 other staff members put in complaints and still nothing, basic support not met, no support from higher management team.
Pros
Looking after residents
Cons
Mencap is supposed to be a place of development. Its not. Your guaranteed to experience bullying by staff. Barely any training. Work over your hours filling in paperwork no one taught you how to do. No appreciation level in this role. And managers that don't act upon helping there staff out.
Loved working there, clients were fantastic, carers so devoted but management didn’t care, No management at weekends so no support in emergencies, cleaning and cooking done by carers/support workers. But they were so motivated for the clients
Pros
Good team
Cons
Management not understanding or Care at all.
  1. Employee reviews