Merlin Entertainments

Merlin Entertainments Employee Reviews

United Kingdom211 reviews

chessingtonattractionentertainmentmagicticketparkrolecolleague

Fun at first

Fun place to work at until you start to get verbally abused my guests and the mangers would be slacking to do anything security we’re good tho. On average I would not recommend this company

It's an alright experience

For me, my experience management picking favourites especially when picking people applying for a higher-up role management picked their favourites not people who are qualified for the role.

Insights into Merlin Entertainments

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Fun as a teenager

Management isn't great they have selective favourites. This job isn't for the weak you'll have to stand up for yourself. Interesting place to work especially in the castle grounds. Very seasonal work.

Fun environment to work at

Great first job, would recommend to anyone that is currently studying as the job allows for a great work/life balance, as the job allows for great flexibility

Awful company

Awful company false promises and clicky management claim that they care but they really don't I ts very clicky and management are also clicky especially in retail department

Fast paced, hard work

Alot to do in little time. Some staff hired aren't quite right for the role. Which so.etimes gives others more work. Great benefits if you have young school aged children.

management don't care

Management don't care and will mess about with your hours on a daily basis, they pick favourites and don't help you to progress no matter how many times you ask or how experienced you are, your just there to do a job, which can be 12 hour days with limited pay and no support. God help you if you are disabled, they have nothing for employees.

The People Make It Bearable

When the team is good, you'll want to stay despite the high-pressure and terrible pay. I did enjoy working there, however that was all about the type of work: hands-on, guest-oriented, using your brain, rather than Merlin itself. If you are looking to work in the attractions business it is not a bad place to start, and you can transfer between attractions (but not necessarily up the ladder).Busy days can be hard to handle and post-joining you have to learn a large amount information to do a minimum wage role. Can be useful to have that health and safety training and experience with crowds etc on a CV though. However some of that training was to be done at home online. I would recommend for a part-time or summer job (though it gets busy), as the shift times are regular and the experience is useful, but many people even in "senior" positions are living by pay check. The lower-level management can be great, but they are putting far more effort in than they are getting paid for. The lauded benefits of free annual attraction tickets do not promote longevity, and the turnover rate at every attraction is abysmal. Someone who joined the company a couple months ago is seen as an "older" team member and is expected to help train the influx of new people hired for the summer. Also the notice period is long: up to 3 months depending on length of employment (On a permanent contract).

Pros

the people, free coffee, annual tickets

Cons

Unpaid lunch breaks, high pressure, cleanliness of staff spaces, notice period length

Over worked and underpaid but can be fun

Depends where you work I've done a few of their different company sites but they all have the same issues.Harsh work environment. The company cares more about money than its staff or the quality of its products, you will be over worked, underpaid and the standard of care for their staff is shocking. That being said the jobs can be fun and you won't find many of the same kind elsewhere. You also get free passes to other merlin sites for friends and family

Over worked under paid no help

Over worked under paid no helpLower staff live pay check to pay check and yet they have to deal with horrible guests who treat them like dirtGet no help when needed I could go on for ages at this point

Good ethos, bad wages

Overall great company to work for but purse strings are always tight! Wages are not great for a lot of roles and it’s a shame as Merlin have some very special people working for them and you have to deal with a lot of cuts, especially in the last couple of years.

Pros

Great people, Lots of advancement opportunities, well structured, supportive management, some effort made to improve things

Cons

Low Salary for the unique skills required for some jobs, work can take over your life if you’re not careful

Stressful work, but relaxed employees

Easy to get hired, hard to stay hired, and impossible to advance in the company; thus a friendly and blasé attitude among the workers. A potentially easy job, but can become very stressful or physically exhausting. Management do their best but are chronically under-resourced and underpaid.

Pros

Sometimes easy, No upselling

Cons

Sometimes excrutiatingly stressful, Long hours, Short breaks, No chance of advancement

Bad pay and management but great perks

Merlin is a great company to work for. They have great perks however the management is terrible and the pay is atrocious and doesn't match the work. .

Pros

benefits, free tickets and discounts everywhere

Cons

minimum wage

Dont even bother

I started work as a housekeeper and realised the pay for this job was not worth getting out of bed for. I left as I was totally shocked on how u had to climb the bunk beds and hold onto them whilst changing the bedding on the top bunk. A serious health and safety issue and when I spoke to them about this they shrugged their shoulders. Avoid working in this role as u will have injuries left rite and centre with a company who don’t care about their employees!!

Pros

Free merlin pass

Cons

Bad pay expect too mich

Friendly place to work

Could be a very good place to work depending on what job you are doing, Management are very goodThey are very understanding if you need time off for hospital or doctors.They have staff do,s and incentives .

Pros

20 free tickets a year

Cons

Most of the jobs are seasonal but there are chances of going permanent

Toxic and unsupportive

Will expect the world of you without any resources to actually get the job done. Management offer no support and are incompetent. They rely on people's passion of working with marine life and conservation to lure people in but the toxic environment means that they soon leave and the turn over of staff is very high.

Pros

Merlin passes

Cons

Uncaring management

Good perks of a job

Only good thing is the magic pass. Attractions around the world. Every day was different never the same issues. Lots of different roles in the company

Pros

Magic pass

Productive and fun work place

I’m very happy and satisfied with my job and also company and it’s management when you are not stressed you will be glad active and protective for the business.

Pros

N/a

Productive and fun

It was a great experience . Collegues are very helpful. It was a team work for each day and every membercan swipe their job to help each other. Training and completion is very important for the growth.

AVOID - treated poorly, bad management in the front office department.

I worked here for several years, at first it was a lovely place to work, great management and very supportive, I loved my job, yes it is hard work for poor pay but you were appreciated and recognised for all your hard work. However it all changed under a new manager, he had his favourites and would push you out if you weren't one! Give you the worst shift times and generally make life difficult you had to leave. Slowly the atmosphere turned sour, with so many people leaving you were constantly training new team members which was tough with such a heavy work load already and so many upset guests it was common to receive verbal abuse on a regular basis with no support from management! HR don't care they just cover for the manager how can this be with so many team members complaining about being bullied and leaving! I really wouldn't recommend you work here it is 100% about business needs you are not expected to have a life outside of work and risk being treated poorly!

Pros

Magic pass

Cons

Long unsociable hours at no extra pay. Some poor management. Treated like a robot, a number!

Terrible company to work for

How the management survived redundancy last year is beyond me. They are all in relationships with one another, they have their favourites. The staff are just leaving in their masses, You are expected to work long hours for poor pay, if you bring any issues to the attention of management they are ignored. Making money comes over staff welfare. I could go on of all the reasons not to join them. Stay away is you value your time

Pros

Rubbish

Cons

Long hours, poor pay, poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merlin Entertainments. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement