Merseyside Police
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

Merseyside Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom99 reviews

Just a number

Exactly as it says, you are just a number and the higher ranks have no consideration of you your family or the stress the job causes. In 30 years I can count on one hand the number of good supervisors I had.

Pros

job security

Cons

long hours and days off constantly cancelled

Rewarding and entertaining

So nerve wracking during the interview stage, but really thorough training programme and support from line managers and supervisors when starting the job after training. 9 month probation period and it takes about 2 years to feel comfortable in the role. Some really interesting calls, lots of mental health issues. Pay is not great but the shift allowance makes a huge difference.

Pros

Interesting calls and interaction with callers

Cons

Hair and nails need to be kept simple

Insights into Merseyside Police

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility

The people I worked with most of them were nice, helpful.

For most of my time in Mersyside Police Employment I was happy working there. The only reason I left was due to not being able to work nearer to my home, as I needed at the time, due to having a very young family.

Productive and exciting career

My career in Merseyside police was during a change of police legal procedures with PACE being introduced. The work was exciting , challenging, dangerous and the comradery was excellent !!!

Hard working environment with some rewards

On joining Merseyside police it was my dream job. As the years progress, changes in laws and red tape begin to take over. However still an enjoyable job with some rewards but is demanding and stressful times. With very little work life balance. But still an enjoyable job.

Clicky and unsupportive.

I joined Merseyside Police as a special to give me an insight of the police before joining as a reg. Although I did have some good times there, it was poorly organised and considering it was a VOLUNTARY role, you were disciplined for not getting your portfolio done on time. Most specials balance being a special with a full time job - some being able to offer more depending on their job role. We were expected to complete a portfolio - same as ordinary regs but the difference was if you wanted to join the regs and hadn't completed your portfolio, your 'line manager' wouldn't support your application for the police which is ridiculous. The role is supposed to be a minimum of 16hrs a month - I could just about do that and did lag behind on my portfolio due to the fact that sometimes on my shift we'd barely do anything. You can't magic up certain scenarios or cause certain things to happen just to tick a box. It was also very very clicky. If you weren't in with a certain group/certain supervisors people really weren't interested. Supervisors definitely had their favourites and it showed. I wanted to enjoy and learn the job however the fun and learning experience was taken out of it by being threatened with disciplinary to not get boxes ticked. I just found it a joke considering we all give up our own time & would stay on after hours to support the normal constabulary.

Stressful

It was a stressful job from day 1 and a very big boys club. Would not recommend and the academy training is inadequate to prepare you for getting out on the streets

Good working place .

Lovely place to work, and good staff. As long as you doing your job there is nothing to worry,Be helpful, and try to help public with any questions asked.

Pros

Good understanding management

Cons

Good flexible hours, no presure.

Not good

Worked in a Police staff role:Very poor culture Managed just over 12 monthsNo support from management No flexibility in working ways Very poor communication from management Lots of bullying Lots of false promises Avoid working here unless you have no other choice

Pros

Cons

Terrible work culture

Awful place to work

I took this job to get more job security. I do feel it is a secure job. However the atmosphere is awful. The management are very unapproachable. Colleagues don’t even speak to each other. It’s a very demoralising and depressing workplace. The money is only good because you work very unsociable hours. I have now left and took a role on less money just to get out of there.

Depressing place to work

Over bearing stuck up under qualified senior management. Petty attitude to any infraction/incorrect work. Tell tale culture from lower management through to the top.

3 months training then mentoring process

The job can be stressful. I worked every weekend including every 3rd weekend nights. Training was OK but had mentor to support me before going in live calls. Not much flexibility around hours. Didn't like the hierarchy within the police.

Pros

Extra allowance for weekend working

Cons

Shift work nights

If you get the opportunity take it

I worked for vehicle fleet for 17 years and only left due to medical retirement. It was by far the best job I've ever had working for the best employer I've ever had. My job was very varied and no 2 days were the same. If you get offered a job grab it with both hands, I now work in the private sector and the difference is chalk and cheese. Highly recomended.

Pros

Responsible employer your not just a number you matter

Best job I've had

I loved working as a police officer and only left due to personal circumstances. Worked with great people. Different every day. Shift work so that may be a problem. Also public holidays, and unsocial hours. A mixed reaction from the public but to be expected. You know your general shifts for the whole year, but obviously subject to change when incidents dictate.

Pros

Decent pay, camaraderie

Cons

Potential for working over shift, could be stressful if you let it

Great people to work for after 40 years on the railway. Hopefully get kept on working for an agency along side the police at the moment,supervisor has informed me that 3 people will be taken on permanently hopefully am one.

Pros

Days family time.

Cons

None really

They look after their staff, welfare conscious. Great colleagues and supervisors, but old story of not enough officers.

Exciting and varied work', but not enough staff. Great atmosphere amongst colleagues and supervisors. You have to be prepared to work a variety of shifts, includi g nights and weekends. Also need to be flexible as you're frequently required to stay on at end of shift, not optional.

Stressing to a point

I joined Merseyside Police in 1974 and retired in 2005. I had a fantastic time working within the community and also with my colleagues. You have opportunities to work in different departments in the Police force. I would recommend a career in the Merseyside Police.

Pros

Excellent Human Resources dept

An awful organisation

Worked for Merseyside police for 18 years after 12 years with the Met I wish I had never transferred terrible backwards police service. They do not value their staff at all.

Pros

Cons

Too many to list

Police Staff/Police Officer

Excellent place to work and I would highly recommend anyone wishing to join whether this be as a member of Police Staff or as a Police Officer. Both roles are very rewarding.

Job Security

Secure job for 30 years. Opportunities for promotion and to move to many different departments. Good pension. Full training given in each department. Advanced driving qualifications. Armed response required to have high fitness levels. Frequent medicals including eye and hearing sight tests, blood pressure etc

Diverse, trying, fun

Depending on the department I worked for, no two days were ever the same. My experience was broad and I attained the rank of Inspector, which meant I had much responsibility at times. The culture was collaborative and I learned almost everything I now know whilst doing this job. Report writing was inevitable and the requirement to be accurate and complete in answering questions was a necessity. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the scenes I have needed to manage and dealing with fatalities was always a difficult thing to do. This however, gave me a skill for interacting with people at the worst of times, which has assisted in the care industry.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merseyside Police. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement