Merseyside Police

Merseyside Police Employee Reviews

I worked for vehicle fleet for 17 years and only left due to medical retirement. It was by far the best job I've ever had working for the best employer I've ever had. My job was very varied and no 2 days were the same. If you get offered a job grab it with both hands, I now work in the private sector and the difference is chalk and cheese. Highly recomended.
Pros
Responsible employer your not just a number you matter
Cons
I loved working as a police officer and only left due to personal circumstances. Worked with great people. Different every day. Shift work so that may be a problem. Also public holidays, and unsocial hours. A mixed reaction from the public but to be expected. You know your general shifts for the whole year, but obviously subject to change when incidents dictate.
Pros
Decent pay, camaraderie
Cons
Potential for working over shift, could be stressful if you let it
Great people to work for after 40 years on the railway. Hopefully get kept on working for an agency along side the police at the moment,supervisor has informed me that 3 people will be taken on permanently hopefully am one.
Pros
Days family time.
Cons
None really
Exciting and varied work', but not enough staff. Great atmosphere amongst colleagues and supervisors. You have to be prepared to work a variety of shifts, includi g nights and weekends. Also need to be flexible as you're frequently required to stay on at end of shift, not optional.
I joined Merseyside Police in 1974 and retired in 2005. I had a fantastic time working within the community and also with my colleagues. You have opportunities to work in different departments in the Police force. I would recommend a career in the Merseyside Police.
Pros
Excellent Human Resources dept
Cons
Worked for Merseyside police for 18 years after 12 years with the Met I wish I had never transferred terrible backwards police service. They do not value their staff at all.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Excellent place to work and I would highly recommend anyone wishing to join whether this be as a member of Police Staff or as a Police Officer. Both roles are very rewarding.
Secure job for 30 years. Opportunities for promotion and to move to many different departments. Good pension. Full training given in each department. Advanced driving qualifications. Armed response required to have high fitness levels. Frequent medicals including eye and hearing sight tests, blood pressure etc
Depending on the department I worked for, no two days were ever the same. My experience was broad and I attained the rank of Inspector, which meant I had much responsibility at times. The culture was collaborative and I learned almost everything I now know whilst doing this job. Report writing was inevitable and the requirement to be accurate and complete in answering questions was a necessity. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the scenes I have needed to manage and dealing with fatalities was always a difficult thing to do. This however, gave me a skill for interacting with people at the worst of times, which has assisted in the care industry.
Enjoyable occupation which can be stressful and demanding especially with home life. No longer a career, more of a stepping stone onto other things unless you intend to go through the ranks.
I am proud to have served in Merseyside Police. A great team, rewarding work and good leaders who come from the ranks. You get to stick it to the bad guys (mostly) and there's a huge range of roles. It's not for the faint hearted and I would recommend any prospective candidate does some soul searching before applying. Every team needs strong, committed and brave staff. There isn't space for the workshy or the timid (unfortunately). That said, if you don't know how you'd respond to a dangerous situation, you will get the training and team support to get out there and own it. Go for it. It's more than just a job.
I have worked for Merseyside Police for over 30 years and have had a great experience. I've seen the force evolve from the early days of my employment to the modern forward thinking and very effective organisation it is today. Anyone starting with Merseyside Police today has a lot of opportunities available to them and they will always be supported in their endeavours. The job is challenging and has moments of high stress, but overall it's very satisfying knowing you're making a difference to peoples lives
Police cadet first. Did policing, community service. Represented the Merseyside police cadets in athletics, field events, swimming, lifesaving. Went to Bruche for 10 weeks course then posted to different stations. Policing the streets.
A long time ago when I originally joined it was a good place to work, you could trust your colleagues and making life long friends was part of the process. Now it is run by politically correct robots who fear complaints from gender xyz more than helping colleagues and implementing common sense procedures. DO NOT TRUST ANYONE! Remember this and you may be ok, if your lucky or make friends with enough of the senior officers. Children with university degrees order experienced officers to complete mundane tasks and ignore the decades of experience gained by good honest, hardworking constables, to further their career. Its a dangerous job with no rewards, assaults on staff and officers are a regular occurrence, look after yourself as no one else will.
A retired Police officer with 30 years’ service that has included quality investigative experience, most recently finished my career working within the Professional Standards Department. I have also benefitted from background experience within the CID, Financial Investigation and Historical Abuse, Fraud Squad and four years as a uniformed officer.
Certain departments drive a Clique type inclusion. If you don't fit the mould they will do anything they can to force you out. Manipulation of others to turn against you. Almost resulted in my taking my own life
Only good thing within the police was meeting new people and the colleagues you work with. You're not seen as a colleague with feeling you're only seen as a number. You get told what to do and when to do it. No give and take. You meet plenty of head working people who state they're unable to stay on shift for various reason. Which is often then left to the people without children. The money is about the only decent thing when yoube been in the job a few years.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long hour with lack of support
Worked here for 11 years and hated it. Supervision bullied and were very unsupportive. Huge workload constant cancelled rest days. Only plus was the other officers. Would not advise to work here. I transfered to merseyside and really regretted it.
Pros
Cons
Bullying
I learned a lot of new skills in this role but a lot of the other members were on a bit of a power trip. It was very male dominated and not very welcoming
Great team working environment but can be stressful & challenging. Most of the supervision were good leaders & tried to consider home life balance ut at times the pressures of the role didn't help this.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Unsociable hours
Long hard hours. No thanks. Management do not help with much. People at the top like to come up with new ideas, implement them and when it all goes wrong - leave.
  1. Employee reviews