Met Office

Met Office Employee Reviews

United Kingdom36 reviews

officestaffgoodgreatworkingmanagementjobwork

Supportive staff, pay needs improving

HQ is beautiful. There is a gym, cafe, 24 hour shop, and restaurant inside. Trees and water features make for a relaxed workplace. As a shift worker, the salary is not good. Shift workers are overworked and underpaid at the Met Office.

Pros

Supportive work environment

Cons

Salary isn’t fair, particularly for shift workers

Contracted for a project

Initial project was interesting and varied and after colleague and manager guidance in the systems was successful. Follow on project allowed me to utilise my full skills in dealing with a major project and contractors.

Pros

Good office environment

Cons

Not all systems are integrated well enough for free flow of project

Insights into Met Office

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

peaceful place to work with beautiful pond

Friendly atmosphere, nice pond outside the building. would benefit having more food options. free hot drink machines for staff and the visitors. Overall great place!

Summer placement

There was lots of opportunity for development, my manager was very supportive, and the on site gym was a great perk. Overall, there was a very welcoming atmosphere.

All in all its a lovely place to work.

Friendly team, collaborative & respectful . Do a great job. Office conditions are super. Can be beaurocratic with public sector approach to decision making. Varied workload.

Pros

Awesome office set up

Cons

Beaurocratic

Supportive and welcoming culture

I feel part of a community working at the Met Office. In the current Covid climate, it has been difficult to integrate with my new team, due to the non face-to-face contact. However, I was given a well-thought induction on commencing employment, and have support where and when I need it to a) Perform my role effectively and enjoyably,and b) Integrate into the new organisation.I also appreciate the investment in staff and development opportunities given to me. The Met Office seem to be a supportive and quite dynamic, forward-thinking employer.

Pros

Benefits are good; team-based and supportive culture

Cons

A few entrenched processes

Excellent place to work in the South West

Loved working at the Met Office, one of the best cultures to work in the South West. Embracing home working and supportive management.Facilities at Exeter HQ are modern and make you feel special to be able to work there.Sometimes takes a while to make change happen due to government controls on processes, but overall a great experience

Despicable treatment of employees and a competitive stressful environment

There are some benefits, such as a good work-life balance, at least theoretically, if you are able to forget about the stresses of the working day. But overwhelmingly working for the Met Office is an unpleasant and demeaning experience. The worst aspect above all is that I saw first hand how management are enabled by HR (who turn a blind eye) to take favourites and propel them through progression and great work opportunities, and on the other side of the coin to choose others to stifle in their careers, i some cases I observed through subtle means but in my case active discrimination on the grounds of health. It is not at all a fair playing field for career development at the Met Office.Promotion, or "progression" as they call it, through the "fluid" levels from e.g. foundation to standard to senior level is is open only once a year and there are often (perhaps usually) only a fixed number of spots based on the finances available from year-to-year. If you want to go for it you get literally ranked against everyone else applying, which is humiliating. Only management get to vouch for you except an application form, so if management don't favour you there's little you can do.They have some of the UK's best supercomputers (Top500), yet technically are always trying to reinvent the wheel rather than using existing tools or collaborating with others on tools that would work. It is painful to experience.The workplace culture is very competitive, where it is everyone for themselves to preserve and further their own careers rather than everyone working together as a team to achieve -

Pros

work-life balance is good, flexible working available, company is a household name

Cons

discrimination is commonplace, HR fight on behalf of whoever is more senior in a grievance situation, competitive atmosphere, pay is very poor

Excellent place to work,

Would recommend people take a look at this organisation, weather is something that impacts us all and it is possible to make a real difference. Exeter is a brilliant part of the world and you will potentially improve your work life balance - fab organisation and part of the country

Pros

Brilliant minds, clear mission statement and follow through

Cons

Sometimes history means people are more cautious

Poor narcissistic leadership/Lip service to equality matters.

One of the worst organisations I have worked for as a person of colour. Systemic racism is embedded within the organisation. Bullying and harassment is rife. Most BAME staff in contractors even though the CEO keeps harping on about representation. The equality agenda is lip service and typically all of the Board are White, privileged, completely out of touch with the equality agenda. Even when issues or concerns are raised nothing is done. Surprised they do not face more litigation.

Pros

Some great staff on the ground.

Cons

However most staff on the ground are demoralised, disempowered and only there because there is little else by way of opportunities in South-West.

Reality falls significantly short of the hype

I work in the engineering functions of the Met Office. A typical day could include mechanical and electronics assembly and fault finding through to parts procurement logistics and quality management documentation. The Met Office offers a good starting place for a career in engineering giving a relatively gentle introduction to this field of work, but ultimately the work is routine. If you wish to really challenge your technical skills and knowledge you are likely to struggle to find this type of challenge within most of the Met Office engineering work. Quality of management is quite mixed, but this is due to mangers generally not having the autonomy and control of resources to make effective decisions, they are hamstrung by restrictive government procedure. This particularly affects the engineering operations of the Met Office as they comprise a very small part of the overall organization and are often the poor relative. The Met Office has great values and principals, Unfortunately the reality often falls short of the hype. Terms and conditions are in many areas quite good but salaries can be poor. Anyone looking at engineering in the Met Office should bear in mind that this is an organization that focuses on meteorology, and limits its engineering work to what it has to do to supports its main focus. The hardest part of my job is accepting that the Met Office hasn't and can't deliver the type and quality of work that was described in the job I applied for and took on. The best part of my job is its unique nature and variety of work.

Pros

Truly unique job with very varied work

Cons

The technical work is at a routine level only

Overall good

Solid set days although inevitably some areas become harder during erratic or heavy weather seasons. Too many middle managers but some great top managers. Great facilities for staff

Pros

relatively good work-life balance culture

Cons

a bit stiffling creatively

Good range of products

Working on a new responsive website and having the chance to see how things are put together when the user are considered, getting to see the new the parts that have been developed and tested used by the end user and see how are meeting what they need, for me getting to see what I have tested from a business view being tested by none testers

Pros

Good work life balance and good extras for staff

Cons

Training and progresstion

Modern and supportive

A great place like a university and shopping mall, loads of breakout areas, modern meeting technology. Very supportive management, pay not great, but for the south west it is ok

A great scientific organisation.

A great scientific organisation let down by poor remuneration, you'll get some good experience here. Job security and holiday entitlement is quite high, especially after longer service.

Science and Technology leader

The Met Office is a world leader in science and technology. It supports its workforce in gaining training and personal development to enable them to achieve success,

Very fun place to work

As this was a night role, it was very relaxed and easy going which sometimes wasn't good as it could set you apart from the 'I'm at work brain'. The management could have been better, however, at the time the company working there was facing some difficulties which I can 100% understand and this did effect the way we were allowed to work.

Pros

Good Work, Fun Staff

Cons

Management, Job Security

Energised intelligent organisation

A very well managed organisation that focusses on employee engagement and skill evolution. There are very few organisations that i have worked amongst in my 30 year IT history that are able to attain the right balance. The Met Office are one of those exceptional organisations. There are significant challenges to deliver, there are some very clever people there with opposing views but 99.99% of the people there are prepared to work together as a team to achieve the common goal. There was only one person in the organisation that opposed that view, which when you realise there were thousands in place is not bad! On site Gym, music groups, languages, + many more social interest groups. Working there is very much like working in a Uni halls of residence.

Pros

Great People. Great work environment. Great challenges.

Cons

Pay, all contract roles are Inside IR35, regardless.

Good Place To Work

I would defintley recommend working here, it is a beauitful building and can teach you a lot, however, I believe it could be handled a little better and support workers a little more.

Pros

Building

Very enjoyable

I spent a few days at the met office and it was a very enjoyable way to see the work life for the first time. The staff were very friendly and welcoming.

Pros

Food was good

Great place

Great place to work if you want a career in science. Trusted name and look after their staff. Found it hard to move in the company and not many opportunities for part time work. Pay freeze has made the wages less of a benefit.

Pros

Secure

Cons

pay freeze

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Met Office. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement