Methodist Homes (MHA)

Methodist Homes (MHA) Employee Reviews

At the place Used work at the minute I ended up coming home crying because the home is so understaffed and I really struggled to get everything done, but management don’t see it and it’s hard I’m currently looking for another job as I can no longer take working there it’s so hard, it can make anyone go off sick due to the work load
Pros
Work staff relations are great
Cons
Management is a big no no if there Even is any
23 March 2021
We don’t like to lose good colleagues and we’d like to learn more about your experience. Please email yvonne.wilkinson@mha.org.uk or call 01332 221816 for a confidential chat with our HR Team.
Great company, lovely working environment and well treated by management. Worked at 2 different homes and loved the resident centred attitude and care from all departments in the homes. Probably my favourite place I've worked, an absolute pleasure.
Pros
Friendly culture
13 April 2021
Thanks so much for sharing such a positive example of how colleagues are living MHA’s Values.
I was okay working there, the place was just not for me as everyone was a lot younger than me don’t think anyone was above 21. I couldn’t settle at that home. I didn’t fit in
Pros
Love the residents
Cons
I couldn’t settle
23 March 2021
Thank you for your message. We really appreciate your feedback.
Avoid this place like the plague. I have witnessed loyal and caring members of staff in floods of tears because they are so terrified of the repercussions of making a mistake. Staff turnover here is almost 3 times the industry average, yet as far as I know this has never been examined. Very severe disciplinary procedures for medication errors. All this achieves is terrified staff who will avoid reporting errors thus putting residents at risk. Unfortunately there is an extremely high potential to taint your CV here. Almost all staff leave here on bad terms, some even feel the need to omit it from their CV. This should be a delightful place to work as the residents are lovely as are most of the staff team. Unfortunately, staff are belittled and intimidated by management. Sadly, there are one or two deeply unhappy residents here.
Pros
Delightful residents, parking near building, occasional free lunches, free uniform and training.
Cons
No sick pay, legal minimum holiday allowance, legal minimum pension, fear culture.
2 February 2021
We take your comments seriously and would like to gain a proper understanding of your experience. Please email yvonne.wilkinson@mha.org.uk or call 01332 221816 for a confidential chat with our HR Team.
Manager is not understanding at all, seniors spend all time on their mobiles in the office and going out for countless cigarettes. Staff totally two faced a lot of favourites, bad practices going on with forging paper work and manual handling. Lots of staff leaving so a lot of agency is used daily shame as its a lovely care home
Pros
Cons
Favourites between management and rude staff
30 December 2020
We’re sorry to hear that your recent experience at work has not reflected MHA’s Values. We’d like to talk to you more about this, please email yvonne.wilkinson@mha.org.uk or call 01332 221816 for a confidential chat with our HR Team.
Great organisation to work for. They really care about their staff. They are clear and transparent. No hidden agenda. You get out what you put in. Lots of training available as well as career progression. I love my job. We have an excellent CEO that genuinely cares.
30 December 2020
Thanks for sharing such a positive example of how MHA is living its Values.
Worst place I have ever worked. Some staff lovely but most are lazy, rude and clueless. Management clueless and dont care about Staff or residents. Short staffed and residents ripped off, as quality of care does not reflect fees. Wouldn't recommend to anyone either as a place to work or a place to live!
Pros
Good rate of pay.
Cons
Everything else.
30 December 2020
Lovely looking care home inside and out decoration wise. Manager is lovely. The staff are up and down the older staff are rude and think they are better and higher up
30 December 2020
I am a current employee at Hatherlow House. I have worked here for 6 years. Hatherlow House is one of the most positive places I have ever worked. The staff team are trained from the beginning with standards in mind. Therefore, consistently providing high quality person centred support. The whole team endeavour to maintain residents independence and dignity at all times, and treat them with the upmost respect. We have a very positive attitude in the workplace which then reflects onto the residents, creating a happy and calm atmosphere for them. Hatherlow House is one of the most diverse places I have ever worked. It is a pleasure to go to work each day and share experiences between staff and residents, of different cultures, experiences and walks of life. The residents thoroughly enjoy talking and learning of different cultures within our staff team. I have recently returned to work after a year of maternity leave. The manager made my transition back to work extremely easy. I was initially quite anxious about childcare issues that may arise, and being ‘out of practice’ having not worked for a year. My anxieties and potential problems were immediately put to rest on my first day returning to work. The manager was very flexible with my working hours and prioritised childcare issues as well as the residents needs at Hatherlow. I have been eased back into work with no pressure on my shoulders. I will continue to work at Hatherlow for as long as possible, or as myself and the residents like to call it, ‘home from home’.
30 December 2020
Thanks for the feedback. This is a great example of how our colleagues live MHA’s Values and deliver our Mission to improve the quality of life for older people, inspired by Christian concern.
Awfull training Manager god knows how he got the job! Well he got the job due to the director panicking....The company is dreadful compared to when I joined 10 odd years ago. Used to feel like a family but nothing like that now...
Pros
Cons
Not a caring christian charity at head office
30 December 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. If you’d like to provide further details please email yvonne.wilkinson@mha.org.uk or call 01332 221816 for a confidential chat with our HR Team.
I worked for the company from 2008 until 2014, at first I had a nice manager, then I had a change of manager, she called me into the office and said to me that she didn't want someone with a invisible learning disability working for the company, I was outraged by this so I made a complaint to head office and unfortunately it went from bad to worse, I went off sick because it was effecting my mental health, in the end I was sacked after doing six years service for them.
Pros
Cons
Discrimination management
30 December 2020
I was doing kitchen assistant plus domestic, after a while I found the kitchen became to much for me as from 6 pm your left on your own to do all the dishes pots and pans and clean down by 8 pm, I asked them to take me off kitchen and just leave me doing domestic which I was happy doing, only to be told if I can’t do kitchen I would have to leave, meaning I lost my domestic job as well, now I see they advertising the two jobs separate, but couldn’t do that for me, don’t bother if you ask for help your get the sack
Pros
Cons
Long hours, left to cope on your own towards end of day, to much for one person
30 December 2020
Once new manager took over, place changed for the worst. Manager is dictorial, gas a bad attitude and thinks all staff are below her. Very rude and uncaring towards her staff. She did not show any compassion or any thanks for the hard work the staff do.
30 December 2020
I can't stress this enough but your experience will depend on where you are. Each home is different and where I am was one with many problems but is making big changes, as is MHA as a whole. My experiences with head office have been brilliant, people just always want to help and in my role I pester all of them. The area managers where I am in the East Midlands are very supportive. The home was a new experience for me having never worked in one before and boy is it different to any workplace I've seen in construction and security, both industries that take you all over. Being in the home can be difficult sometimes but the rewards massively outweigh it. MHA has really made me reevaluate my beliefs about large corporate entities, charity or not, I believe MHA genuinely wants what is best for the residents and their staff, from the top down. They provide so much support and services which you just need to reach for to make the most of your time.
Pros
training, support, opportunities, social atmosphere in the home
Cons
social atmosphere in the home (I'm an introvert 😉), responsibility / wage balance for maintenance
30 December 2020
MHA showed no interest in enabling me to advance my career. I was allowed to go on several work related courses, that helped to promote their service, but never received a certificate for any of them! I worked very hard for the company but didn’t receive any acknowledgment that would have made me feel worthy as an employee.
Pros
Left to your own devices
Cons
Poor pay and no advancement
30 December 2020
Yes I was warned, but I thought OK I'll see for my self, I quickly relised all the warnings to stay away were true, 1- lack of staff every shift we were always down staff so agency were called (sometimes). 2- management were very 2 faced behind your back, say they would support you then the next shift try and blame you for something that's gone wrong, because of no staff!!
Pros
Cons
Poor management, and seniors
30 December 2020
Terrible is all i can say,under appreciated,over worked and Management have no clue!No routine,team work was none existent,lack of communication between staff and management. No respect and a lot of bullying amongst staff. As a senior with much experience,I was left to get on with it,No training. training i made mistakes.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
all of the above
30 December 2020
I started with MHA over 2 years ago and thoroughly enjoy my job. It is extremely busy but we have a great team. There are ups and down but in my career experience, I have seen that in my previous jobs too. No two days are the same which makes my role fun or else I would get bored. I work well with deadlines. It would have been beneficial though if my role's career progression was explained at the interview stage when I had asked for it. It is my first job in the Care Industry and I find it extremely gratifying and humbling. As a team - we are strong and work very well together.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
Cons
Long Hours (although it's my choice)
Thank you for your message. We really appreciate your feedback.
shifts on different units , so people get to know all the residents . hours break though the shift ,unpaid. good rate of pay. no sick pay. rolling 2 week rota
Pros
friendly
Thank you for your message. We really appreciate your feedback.
They base themselves as caring but I was left alone on night shift on a floor with residents I did not know which endangered them and me it was the dementia ward with very venerable people. For 12 hour shift. I was taken Sick the one night and was rushed away in ambulance and because I could not tell them before shift I was dismissed for absence without leave.
31 December 2020
The Fairways in Chippenham is the best care home I have ever worked in. The staff team are dedicated, kind and caring and the residents receive the best care.