Metro Bank PLC

Metro Bank PLC Employee Reviews

Enjoyable for colleagues as we all have very similar personalities! Some great opportunities! Harder to come by however. Small training/support in certain areas especially after training has been completed.
Pros
Amazing colleagues Great opportunities
Cons
Late shifts and lack of parking
very boring workplace, constantly micromanaged, poor inexperienced managers. no job security as high turnover and constant disciplinaries. no progression they sabotage before your review. poor work-life balance as sometimes in 6 days per week
Pros
a job
Cons
long hours, micromanaged, no progression
Not to bad at the start it then goes down hill fast, many unpaid hours, very poor management and training, poor colleague engagement in our region with too much favouritism . everyone is looking for another job because there is no postive news here
Pros
new friends
Cons
morale, poor engagement and bad management
the company has been ok. the pay and workload are not nice. it could be better. the Cahier role is ok but needs more opportunity to grow as across the company
Where do I start. Moral and engagement is horrendous in our store and acorss the region. Staff refer to the region as a clowns region. Lots of gossiping, unprofessional conduct and behaviour. The Regional manger talks about staff to other staff and is not suitable to lead any team, extremely childish. The culture is very cult driven and dare you have an opinion or suggestion and you are put down immediately. The company is backwards with dreadful management who should have never been given the role. I am shocked at the behaviours in this company
Pros
Fun at the start
Cons
Low morale, poor engagement, unprofessionally run
As a Customer Service Representative you have some really intense and busy days. You have to keep a high attention to detail and also put the work in to learn and develop yourself. You are getting a mixture of everyone and everything at a customer service face to face level. If you are not a compassionate and patient person you need to learn these attributes quickly. The business does offer training opportunities and progression but you have to prove that you are ready for them and work towards them.
Pros
There is good management support. There is progression and support if you work for it.
Cons
Some shifts are constant so be ready for it!
I Will always hold this place to high esteem and I do miss working there. Great culture, people always willing to help, no barriers between departments, they give you the opportunity to excel.
Pros
Culture, progression, team
Cons
Was a bit of a cult of personality vibe about the then chairmen and owner
Was really excited to join but my opinion changed very quickly. There is a set of rules for management and another set for everyone else. Do the slightest mistake and a fact find is completed yet management can do what they like. No one gets on in the team and our SM shouts across the floor at us staff.Extremely unprofessional and sales pressure is increasing. All the team are looking for new jobs so hoping to get something soon.
Pros
Cons
Very unprofessional, long hours, poor training
I left the company over a year ago. Started of well over 5 years ago but must have had at least 8 different line managers between that time. Last one was useless. As hard as I tried to have a development plan and a way to become an LBM, others were looked at instead. The people you coach and train go ahead of you. Ethnic minorities have a slim chance of progression. You can "lick your manager's boots", be part of a clique group and get a promotion and that is suitable for young ones. At one time I was discriminated by a colleague at work, even the managers knew what had happened after we clashed, at the end he ended up getting promoted once he had completed his fast track course while I struggled to get on it after two auditions having prepared for it, just to listen to useless excuses to why I had failed to get on it, but another girl who went through the same struggles got it instead. When I first joined I heard how majority of the people promoted (over 65%) are females. TRUE! As long as you have a bum and blonde hair and are in your 20's, be sure of being a store manager within no time. Unfortunately, we live at a time where it is "who you know" and not "what you know" or the experience you have anymore, and such is the culture here. A couple of months after I leaving, I was given 7 days to find a new bank account and mine was closed. Ofcourse, if I wanted to know the reason, I had to write to the head office to find out. Unbelievable! Please avoid this bank as a customer and a potential employee!
Pros
everyone bonds well, nice people to make friends with
Cons
useless management, broken promises and company going downwards
It's a very good looking bank but it's too stressful. They make u do too much work for just 20,500 . It's definitely not worth doing so much work for just that much of money. Also, my manager had said to me that my body is not allowed to fall sick if I'm an employee of metro bank.
Pros
Good timings
Cons
1) cannot fall sick 2)paid too less 3) you are made to fill the dog bowls
Where do I start... I wouldn’t recommend anyone to work for this company. Inexperienced, young store managers put in charge. Customers are either bankrupt, homeless or fraudsters so have fun dealing with that! Oh yeah and the rest are fresh out of prison with their papers and metro won’t ask any questions ... Promotions are obtained by being in ‘the clique’. Store managers are over paid for sitting out the back of store all day with no clue to what’s going on. If they are involved in ‘the clique’ nothing gets done about this. ‘The clique’ consists of store managers, assistant managers and senior leaders that look after the area. They treat customer service representatives and cashiers as children, not listening to their opinions and views leading to big divides in store. If you dare push back and raise concern around anything you will be told that you are not living the metro bank behaviours and culture and they will then look to discipline you going forward. The company like sheep, so if you do join, I advise you to stay quiet and not speak out. Training carried out upon employment was average. Work life balance is in existent, unpaid overtime when things in store go wrong. Sold the dream when you join about progression, this changes quickly as soon as you properly start. Plans for new stores going forward are minimal so don’t expect to go anywhere fast. The company implement their own hr rules which do not fall inline with other banks around a duty of care to their colleagues. They have no union representatives to stand up for what’s right so - more...
Pros
Get to work with some nice colleagues and please remember it’s some there are snakes everywhere, cliques which will confer over Skype and email on how to get rid of people 👀
Cons
Vile managers (especially in Bristol) cliques regionally who bad mouth colleagues, over lync and email as well as bad salary, awful hours, customers are of the bottom 10%, you will probably spend most days declining lending applications from homeless people.., in terms of the company.., read the news it’s racist unethical and doing very badly!
Colleague engagement is extremely poor within our team. Sickness and turnover is high and the hardest workkng staff get paid the least. The LDs do nothing and LBM dumps all there work on the CSRs. Customers are told what to put in surveys and our store manager is so unapproachable. Looking for another job so i can put this toxic place behind me. Dont work here
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
bullying, favoritism, poor pay, long hours
- My typical day at work would be to deal with customers at the teller desk, as well as complete daily targets. - I learnt to manage my time and engage with customers to build rapport. - New cashier staff would be trained by me over the course of a week or two. I enjoyed this process as I felt it help me keep the key principles fresh in my mind. - The hardest part of the job was to complete complex and detailed processes such as international payments at a fast and efficient pace. - The most enjoyable part was that each customers need was different and the challenges they brought were good for developing my problem solving skills.
The worst decision I ever made coming to working here. I didn't stay long, it wasn't for me. To much favouritism and fairness , all smoke and mirrors. Training was dreadful and that's being polite. They have inexperienced managers as leaders which is embarrassing, mixed messages. Our manager was bothered about feeding dogs than speaking to the team. All over the top, no substance.
Having been there over 12 months I decided to walk out and look for another job. Our manager was awful , not treating people fairly at all. One of the colleagues was set up by her so that he would leave. They don't create fans, company is in a terrible mess, constant bad press and complaints covered up by her.
I took the job on because I thought it was different. At first things were fine, sure turnover is high but generally speaking it was ok. Then late last year our manager changed and the morale within the team went down hill. Colleagues began to leave and the manger looks down her nose at everyone. I have just resigned without another job because the atmosphere is unbearable and I couldn't wait to get out.The regional manager encourages her behaviour which just makes it worse. m
Pros
Fun at timea
Cons
Stressful, poor manager. Low morale
they sell you the world on induction and then the reality sinks in. training is poor, management are promoted way beyond there potential and they buy customers effectione by giving them gifts etc. it’s all deceiving and the environment is terrible in places with turnover very high. seriously don’t apply to work here
Pros
Cons
hours, behaviours of management
I have great relationships with my colleagues in store however I feel as though we are put under a lot of pressure and stress. I personally would like to venture away from a customer based job.
Brilliant experience for those who don’t mind a challenge and opportunity to innovate and improve current processes. This is a new bank and new organisation that requires collaboration and continue stakeholder engagement to deliver on tasks.
A typical day at this bank involves pandering to customers that seem not to understand their own finances. Instead of declining a customer, your autonomy is taken away from you and you have to 'bump it up' to a manager to say no, which unnecessarily extends the process and gives the customer the illusion of hope. Dreadful practice. I learned quite a bit, but unfortunately wasn't offered the chance to progress in my career so I left for something better (i.e. where I am actually respected by management). Managers don't seem to understand what Customer Service Reps do so will manage you unnecessarily about your appearance and manner rather than the quality with which you do your job. The hardest part of the job is finding time to write 1-2-1s and six-month appraisals. The bank doesn't give you time for this so often you're expected to take it home and write it while you're not being paid, which is offensive. Couldn't think of anything enjoyable. I moved from one store to another in hopes things would improve but the bank just does not provide any incentive to stay or time to upskill yourself.
Really great bank to work amazing skills obtained training and development great opportunity to know the team and make new friends and to grown with business
  1. Employee reviews