Metro Bank PLC

Metro Bank PLC Employee Reviews

United Kingdom170 reviews

bankprogressioncolleaguebankingcultureroleprogresscustom

Overall Decent Job

The job was overall pretty good, very good culture and team lovely people to work with. Training is good but could be improved. Pay is not that great for the work you do and management is not the best but overall a good place to work with a good culture and team.

Slough is absolutely shambolic

The management isn't good at all, not professional and the way the payroll team works isn't good either. No communication on what to do. I'd advise you not to work here if you're expecting a good job.

Insights into Metro Bank PLC

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Worst place I have ever worked

It says alot that in the 9 months I was with this company, 4 people took long term sick leave. Please read this if you are considering applying for the CSR role. The pay is very low for the role, which is essentially 3 roles within one. Competitors offer around 3k more for similar roles. Theres a lot of questionable behavior within the banks from management, including constant mishandling of customer data and sometimes cash. Management themselves are professional micromanagers. I raised my concerns with the people team who stamped me down very quickly, saying "maybe you took it the wrong way".The role itself is exhausting, you are expected to know it inside out straight out of training. Asking for guidance was usually met with push back from managers, where they'd tell you you should know it. This led to staff mishandling queries regularly as they had no choice. The CSR role is business and personal account opening and management as well as cashiering, like I said, 3 roles in one! I regularly experienced incidents like vaults not being properly locked, impersonators being given access to customer accounts and very questionable businesses being given accounts. The branches themselves are rife with cliquey hierarchy, and if you're not with the "in" crowd you will find it difficult. I experienced this in the 4 branches I worked in. The culture is very extroverted, they expect you to perform work chants in group meetings and in some cases perform dances for the exec team. I am not joking. If you refuse you are MADE to take part. The "culture" is so deep that I've witnessed -

Un employeur correcte qui essaye

Une société est composée d'individus alors nos expériences vont dépendre beaucoup de notre leadership.J'ai eu des team-leaders géniaux.

Brilliant company to work for

They are a brilliant company to work for and really helped when I became sick. Changed hours etc they were so accommodating. But it’s quite a stressful job made worse if your unwell. But I can’t fault them. The way they treat staff is second to none brilliant. If you want to progress and work hard the opportunity’s are endless.

Pros

Not all work and no play. PlayStation in the staff room fruit Monday sweet Wednesday great place

Cons

Banking tests. At least 3 a month

Slow paced and no progression

Poor management and no progression and constant micro managing led to a bad experience. The only plus side was the people I worked with were very nice.

No advancement outside of london

Management varies from store to store but generally cares more about being all smiles than job performance. Poor work life balance, often do unpaid overtime.

Fast paced/Busy work environment

Worked at the Earls court contact centre.I saw a lot of diversity in the teams and across levels of management, very fast paced contact centre for financial services company.Pros: Very varied role, you will learn plenty if you are interested in banking roles.Con: Not the best management for complex escalations, some of the processes long winded and unnecessary, monitors often going blank whilst in the middle of dealing with customers transactions/queries.

Pros

Working with and learning from a diverse team

Cons

Stressful/Long hours

No work life balance

Do not expect to have a life outside work as you will get contacted on your days off, sometimes you're working 4 weekends in a row or 6 days a week. They say they're not target based but pressure you if you're not getting enough credit cards or loans on the side. Overall might aswell work in retail for the amount they pay you and the unpaid overtime you'll be doing.

Awful

I found my time at Metro Bank repulsive as the Kingston store had little to no support interest in helping me. The people were awful and the shifts were unreasonable. Avoid at all cost.

Cons

Long Hours, repulsive team support

Still a new company

Metro is a great place to get experienceBut not for progression or long term. Long hours, staying behind on shifts, not getting paid for overtime, and favouritism. I learnt so much and the training is great but I wish I left sooner

Just Shockingly Terrible.

When first starting out, there's about a month of training and preparation, this is when the role is amazing and it seems like a lovely working environment. This is the calm before the s*** storm! The role itself is intense and overly micro managed. Taking calls after calls non-stop has given me migraines, if you are off a call for more than 20 seconds... someone from management will message you asking why on earth you are not on calls. It's extremely over the top considering the call centre reps are doing all the work while management are "in meetings" and "busy" when a rep needs help. But to call people out for having a 20 second break between calls - they're always available for that!The culture of the job is crazy, it literally feels like secondary school. I found myself stressing so much over things that are out of my control. People will talk about you behind your back, when you call in sick management will whisper and laugh about it, which I find despicable. There is 0 empathy from people that are there for "support". The job takes a toll on you even outside of work, to the point where I had major anxiety about going back to work following sick leave. Job progression is an absolute myth... like literally false promises x100. Management will stifle your progression within the company. You get a report (like school!) and if you get below a certain rating you won't be allowed to apply for other roles within the company. When by God's grace you are eligible to apply for other roles, you need to get your manager's permission! That brings me to the micro-management. -

Pros

Free Headaches

Cons

Management, Culture

Customer service in contact centre good starter role.

Interview process is pretty unique as is the induction after you get a job here. The CEO has changed since I left so I don't know if this is the same. The training before I started the job was really good. Once you start taking calls, you'll be doing a lot of the same thing each day, with a few less common tasks which could be anything as you work in a call centre. You'll have to deal with a lot of unhappy customers, most of the time being limited in how you can help due to bank procedures. You'll also have lovely customers. The environment is quite relaxed, even if the work isn't and can be quite stressful at times. The firm tries hard to promote a good culture, though you don't always see the benefits in this department. There are some opportunities for progression.

Pros

Free doughnuts & pizza etc on busy days or special events, Pretty relaxed management, Decent starter role, Good training, Good performance recognised, Feedback listened to from staff, No sales quotas but other metrics

Cons

Call centre work can be stressful, Sometimes understaffed and non-stop calls, IT failures put pressure on staff, Constant change, Interviews in some departments are poor, Changing rotas affect work-life balance

Not the best place to work at. You are not supported by management unless you done something wrong which affects their performance review.

Customers are hard to deal with but management do the bare minimum at trying to help you with difficult customers which make you feel like you have to spear head the problem alone. Sometimes management treat you fairly if they are in a happy mood. If you join to a understaffed team, you will always work at least one day in the weekend and you would have to book your holidays in advance or if it is an emergency then you would have to swap shifts which may put you in a position where you work 7+ days in a row.

Pros

good co-workers try help you, some customers bright up your day

Cons

Very limited career progression, no full support of management at times, sometimes customers treat you better than your co-workers

Not a bad place to work

Can be boring at times when not busy . Although the team was great and didn’t have any issues with any of the colleagues. The hours was a little bit stressful , if you was on a late shift for the week you didn’t really have a personal life. The progression in the Sheffield was really non existent , if you wasn’t planning on going into management your opportunities was very slim. If your looking for a job in a financial institution this would be a useful start in your career.

Pros

Good team

Cons

Rubbish hours, low pay

was bad and stressful

management sucks , got dismissed with no notice , mainly due to reasons they came up with, had 2 months were i had no fails on account and a clean slate but was still on a recovery plan

Pros

nice bank

Cons

horrible management

copied from another reviewer: A typical day at this bank involves pandering to customers that seem not to understand their own finances. Instead of declining a customer, your autonomy is taken away from you and you have to 'bump it up' to a manager to say no, which unnecessarily extends the process and gives the customer the illusion of hope. Dreadful practice. I learned quite a bit, but unfortunately wasn't offered the chance to progress in my career so I left for something better (i.e. where I am actually respected by management). Managers don't seem to understand what Customer Service Reps do so will manage you unnecessarily about your appearance and manner rather than the quality with which you do your job.

Pros

none, none, nonex, none

Cons

none, none, nonex, none

AMAZEd they're still in business

Awful company to work for. No care for employees. Long hours. Once you start taking more responsibility and start dealing with business and other complex parts of work your wage goes up right? Wrong. No one hardly ever gets promoted everyone would rather just leave.

Pros

Can't think of any

Cons

The bank

Worse place to work

Working at amaze direct (metro bank call centre) is probably the most depressing draining job ive ever done. i would not recommend this job to anyone. They falsly promise you progression. which is very rare at metrobank, you have 3 main positions and within 6 months you will be in the final 3rd postion earning 22,700 yearly salary.

Not fun at all ,

Disappointed about how they treat you and how they look after employee They do not appreciate staff and it is a big difference between what they want to be and what they are in the realLife

boring and a shyte of a workplace

very boring workplace, constantly micromanaged, poor inexperienced managers. no job security as high turnover and constant disciplinaries. no progression they sabotage before your review. poor work-life balance as sometimes in 6 days per week

Pros

a job

Cons

long hours, micromanaged, no progression

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metro Bank PLC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Metro Bank PLC with

• Metro Bank PLC
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?