Metroline

United Kingdom137 reviews

Clear
3.4Pay & benefits

buslondonpassengergaragedriverdrivingtravelroad

Hard work but driving is enjoyable

If you put in the hours the pay will be well. 8 to 10 hours shifts not family friendly also working 7 days on the trot doesn't help. Exhaustion sets in. Of course those who are work horses will love it

Pros

Free travel card, pension, uniform

Cons

Longs hours, no flexibility

Never again

Working till your body give up you not going to have a soul. Not good for health long hours 7 day in a row. If you not doing overtime it's not worth it because of the tax. If you have a family get the divorce papers before you start this job. If you want a happy life don't do it.

Insights into Metroline

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues

The worst bus company in London

I’ve been working for Metroline for 12 years as a bus driver. Even with my first class degree in business management, they have never even offered me an interview let alone a promotion. Everytime you apply for a vacancy, they give you the same reason for not inviting you for the interview (there we’re better candidate this time round). Every bus driver at the company knows that it’s not your qualification or hard work that get you ahead but rather a case of who you know. If you are thinking of joining this company, I would sincerely advise you to seek employment with a bus company that understand that the benefits of having a robust promotion procedure.

Pros

Sleeping facilities during break time

Cons

No promotion

Metroline cricklewood

No social life, always cutting back on salary. Deducted 1week holiday to all drivers starting after 2010. Always a NO when asking for help such as appointments or funeral day off. but yet they want you to work overtime especially on your days off. This is a company you should avoid if you're interested in being a bus driver. No social life. Awful job.

You want to commit suicide then click apply!

Honestly the worst job ever. Super long hours. Barely anytime off. Horrible shift patterns. Theres no such thing as “free travel” we get given Oyster card and the money gets deducted from your wages every week. If you decide to leave the company early (within a year) you will need to pay back the full training money which is over £1000, which will also be deducted from your salary. There is no duty of care towards stuff. Your just a payroll number to management. Any perks of the job always have a price. Your gym memberships are not free. Do not trust any union reps, they all work alongside management and no one is on your team, except other bus drivers.

Good place to work.

Every month I had a long weekend off(4 days),paid brakes after 40 minutes,sometime you get 2-3 hours brakes between the duties.Canteen on the site and parking.Overime paid,weekly paying.Training available for new drivers.

Pros

Free travel pass.

Customer based service

Hard, time-related job, constantly chased by middle management, antisocial hours, high stress, low wage, public face of corporate mismanagement on a grand scale.Drivers are just numbers, route efficiency stands above employee wellbeing.Avoid.

Pros

Free TfL travel

Cons

Long hours, constant driving, no backup from management team.

Wheels of the bus don't always go round and round......

Ok if you like doing shift work and long hours and working to schedule. If you like working with the public and sometimes getting abuse from the public and motorists then this job is for you!!!

Pros

Free travel

Cons

Shift work

Very good goodbmoney potient career opportunity

Very good you enjoy like it feels good they have many opportunities for every one lets enjoy this time. The best better thatthe rest you enjoy life is good let go and do it

Pros

Very good

Cons

Very good

shift work/not enough pay

It is shift work so its either early/middle/late duties, unless you are on a fixed rota which takes forever to get on. If you are a spare driver, they tend to change your duties at the very last minute to accommodate senior drivers. Dealing with some passengers abuse and managements lack of support, higher management taking away benefits such as longer breaks/1 weeks holiday(for senior drivers 5+ years) and refusing to give a good pay rise.

Pros

Free oyster card/paid during training

Cons

Shift work/cold buses in winter/No A/C in the summer

Avoid

Work life balance does not exist even though they stress the importance of keeping fit to ensure you are kept well as you do a lot of sitting around all day. Long hours. Mental health down the drain also as the job is mentally challenging with such long hours. The roads of london are ridiculous and extremely tight for buses to go down. Holidays are booked for you. No say as to what days and hours you can work. One week you’re starting early and the next your are starting late, not good for your body clock at all. Managers are terrible and cannot communicate. You can’t plan your week yet alone your month ahead as your shifts are always changing or they wait till the day before your shift before adding a shift. No flexibility in terms of what shifts you can and can’t do. Constantly begging other drivers to swap holidays and shifts and that rarely goes your way. No organisation within the company. Focused more on the uniform standard than the overall health of drivers. Get better benefits elsewhere. The list goes on….

Pros

Free oyster - but you’re working all the time so you can’t use it

Cons

Everything.

No a good place to work

Metroline should not be given 1 star. Company believes you are a number, the company will never support the employees and will always put pressure on you like a military camp. Passengers are horrible and disrespectful towards the driver not matter how good and charismatic you are. In case of incidents better shield in the cab as police will take ages to arrive.

Pros

Decent salary only - £18.10 per hour

Cons

Extremely long hours, passenger and a serious lack of management

Making new friends having fun not just a job in my book at Leave due to sickness the only down I say was the long hours.

Pros

Pay was good people that work in Potters bar bus Garage

Cons

Managment treat you like slave

Problem is management, if you don’t give drinks to them , they will give you bad jobs all the time and no overtime, this is Holloway Road garage, thnx

Pros

Non

Cons

Non

Loved working for Metroline at Kings Cross Depot.

Very friendly depot at Kings Cross enjoyed my time there. Pay was good also good working conditions. As bus drivers we liked to moan but management is what it is across the industry. I have worked for First, Go Ahead and in my opinion Metroline KC was the best of the 6 depots i worked in.

Pros

Good pay and conditions.

Cons

None for me.

Avoid

Avoid,avoid,avoid managers treat you like dirt. Long hours you have yo work 3 Saturdays and 3 Sundays per month. You can't even decide when you can take your holiday.

Pros

Extremely long hours

Cons

No life.

Bus driver

Training was first class by the actual bus training staff but in the classroom they sell you a dream of earning a good salary which is untrue. You have to be at the bus garage for 5 years before you earn a decent wage for all the long unsocial hours. Sometimes you will be working 7 days plus and take home €365 a week! Terrible job.

Good

Over all very good company to work if you are looking for carriers & long term job security I would recommend, but be aware the pressure of the work can ground you down

Not bad

A good company. Brentford depo is easy going. Good training . Takes 5 years to go high rate . Some controllers not at the standard of the company apart of that not bad . Just left because I moved out of London.

Westing od time

When I have applied for the job at the advert says that they pay 28 000 per firts year an second 31 000 and this i salso what I was told on the interview .Recruitment proces was takiing so long almost half a year.After I go tinto training I have spend almost 3 months which they pay around 200 a week.I have started the job and wages is 380-400 This is redicoules all the resposibility you have anything happen is on you you have to be so carefull and have your eyes all around your had all the timeand money they pay you can get working in grocery shop I have asked for proof of income it its 24000 not 28000 as I was told You all the Time in a Rush you have only one break which is unpaid and you dont have even Time to go to toiletThis is disrespect for people I dont recomend this job to anybody for the time I have spent for training I could earn money and it was just westing of my time

Pros

Poor pay unpaid brake

Cons

All the time on rush big responsibility

This job has become challenging

When I started this job I look forword to going to work every day, now I go to work because I have to pay my bill.This job used to be 37 hours a week now, you can work up to 60 hours per week and the pay is now worse.

Cons

long hours. no work/life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metroline. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement