Metropolitan Police

Metropolitan Police Employee Reviews

Unique, rewarding but requires dedication and commitment.I was dealing with complex serious and organised crime with the investigation, arrest, collection of evidence, creation and submission of case files for Crown Prosecution Service and delivery of evidence in Court.
Pros
Reduced cost of London travel
Cons
Although there is a structure to your policing day, you have to be ready to respond to incidents and challenges that cannot be predicted. You learn how to work under pressure, you see a different side to life and see how you cope with this. The management is challenging and supportive. They have worked their way up the rank structure and should know what the job is all about. Management positions are open to all. You develop strong collective bonds with colleagues. The work environment has strong team spirit and loyalty. The hardest part is accepting that on occasions people do get away with committing crime and you must work within the rules. Not allowing frustration to lower your standards. Stopping and detecting crime.
Pros
Challenging and interesting work. Helping people.
Cons
Unsociable hours, social media misconceptions of policing.
I have thourly enjoyed working with Met Police. The flexible hours were very much beneficial for my life as I am single parent. Colleague in my team were very welcoming and co operative.
Pros
Flexible working pattern
Cons
Night shifts
Being a PC in the Met is a real mixed blessing. For the first two to three years in the job, or during your probationary period at least, expect to be treated a bit like a child at times. As a newbie you are the lowest of the low. That is just the nature of the job and the culture of the organisation. It's a right of passage and you have to prove yourself worthy of respect and gain the confidence of colleagues on team, line manager and those above you in the hierarchy/pecking order. For some this comes quicker than for others. There is so much to learn and adjust to it takes a long time to get on top of the job so you are always reliant on more experienced colleagues to help you along. Some say it takes 5 to 10 years to make a police officer. The foundation training is good but only goes so far, the real learning is on the job. If you have the ability, patience and self-confidence to get through your probation then it's a job for life if you want that. If, however, you struggle through probation (as I did at times) and feel your confidence being eroded instead of increasing, then the job is probably not for you. I went in at a mature age. For some that's ok, especially if they are super fit and maybe ex armed forces. But bear in mind if you join in your 40's or 50's you will be working alongside people much younger than you and your supervisors might also be younger or the same age. Also considering how long it takes to settle into the job (years not months), time is not on your side if you go in later in life, particularly when it comes to specialising or promotion. It is - more...
Its been an amazing experience working here. I feel a sense of being part of a great organisation working hard to keep the nation safe. Excellent work culture.
Pros
Work life balance
Although i know longer work for the met anymore as i was unfortunately made redundant just after the olympics .if i was offered my old job back i would definately jump at tge chance.i would strongly recommend anyone thinking of joining to do so
Pros
Good life culture
Cons
Long hours at times but well rewarded
Too much is expected from you at all times.Not worth it for the salaryAlot of stress.No work /social life balanceWas good once upon a time Not any longer
Pros
Pension
Cons
Stress. Hard work
The job itself was very rewarding and quite a challenge at times.most work colleagues were great.I found my place at last. Great benefits/pension and social clubs and events. Go in with an open mind .So many experiences and memories tp cherish.I made some descent friends there.
Pros
Benefits and pension are top rate.
Cons
Long hours.
Very rewarding career providing you can cope with unpleasant members of the public, unrealistic requests from senior management and unlimited beureacracy.
Pros
Decent money and some good friends
Cons
Long unsociable hours
I had a really great time working as a special constable from JANUARY 2007 to JUNE 2012. Really great to be felt part of the police extended family.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Lots of Paper work.
Worked for them for 32 years. Overall I was treated very well and I would recommend them as an employer. There can be long hours and there are often unsociable hours to work. Organisation is much more diverse now and promotion is on merit and ability to a greater extent then before. Plenty of opportunity to specialise as service is growing after very difficult austerity years. Certainly a career worth considering but there are times of significant pressure and job can be very stressful
Pros
Secure Job
Cons
Can be unsociable long hours
No typical day. You can expect anything (from the offenders you deal with) and your own management. Unorganised and incompetence from HR, payroll, Uniform supply services etc etc, especially since they have been outsourced to private tender. Still has a long way to go in terms of treating all employees with equality and respect, as has a lot of 'school bullies' now wearing police uniform and a tin badge. Canteen culture and locker room bunter will take some by surprise, so develop a thick skin under the uniform
Pros
Free travel...How long before it's discounted as TFL is struggling
Cons
Long hours, work pattern very poor, promotion prospects are poor
You gain a greater understanding of law enforcement and the effort put in to solve and prevent crime. Welcome to the Metropolitan Police in any capacity will provide you with the stability and longevity where you can build a stable home life balance for a very very long time. It also has a great pension at the end of your service.
Pros
Long and stable career
Cons
Stigma from civies, bad press and office politics
Metropolitan Police is a greta organisation to be in. I joined as a Special Constable and I cannot wait to apply to become regular. This is a job that not everyone want or can do. It pushes you out from your Comfort zone so you become more confident in yourself and start to think outside the box.
Pros
No routine
Cons
Dangerous
Policing is a career like no other, providing an opportunity to gain unparalleled life experience. However, it is also both physically and mentally demanding, with the potential to impact hugely on personal / family life. After completion of the initial probationary period (2 years), officers may then specialize if they choose and are accepted into specialist departments / roles. The Police are currently significantly under resourced, and both demands and public expectation is unprecedented. Initial training has significantly shifted from a culture of residential, disciplined and professional training, towards a more academic, degree oriented approach. This is arguably less inclined to provide the Service with the robust ‘beat bobbies’ that are actually needed and which the public are crying out for. The Police Service has mutated from historically being a Police Force, and consequently increasingly lacks the discipline and professionalism of old. Senior Management often lacks true leaders and leadership, due to there now being an all pervading culture of political correctness and a tendency towards self promotion and career development, rather than actually doing the Job!
Pros
Excellent camaraderie amongst those doing The Job
Cons
Policing is now politicized and senior leaders flawed in their outlook and professional ability
I was with the Met for 15 years and was planning to work there until retirement. Sadly, my career was cut short and I, together with 90% of the whole IT department staff, were made redundant or TUPE out due to outsourcing. 11 out of my 15 years there, I also served as a police officer special constable. I was allowed to use my work hours to carry out police duties. The Met is a very good employer
Pros
Work-life-balance, flexible working, diversity and very nice colleagues
Cons
Outsourcing has lost tens of thousands of civilian staff. Really really sad
You will spend the majority of your time dealing with domestic disputes between family members where one or both of the parties involved have weaponised the police ‘service’ to strike out at each other. You will rarely feel like you are making the streets safer and will mostly feel like you’re an extension of the Social Services profession.
Pros
The pay is reasonably good to begin with, is very good if you can survive 7 years of misery.
Cons
Permanent stress, endless paperwork and a constant shift work fugue feeling.
I joined Bouygues in March 2018 to work at the front desk, there i learnt the value of communication and how to voice my concerns in a fair attitude. I enjoyed working with the building team and being the first point of call for visitors.I gained a sense of confidence I had to overcome my shyness and become very vocal.
Pros
half percent of help with travel
Cons
difficult to find cover
The place is what you make it basically. I worked in a safer neighbourhood team which were all friendly and reliable with a good atmosphere at work. I also worked in a transport team with a rather more aggressive and exclusive culture which I found quite difficult but one must try to fit in as best as one can.
Pros
Good shift pattern
Cons
Don't join. Your colleagues are great and you will have a good laugh with them. However the job itself is endless paperwork, pointless duplication of reports and long long hours for which you won't be paid properly because the first half hour of your shift (briefing) and last half hour of your shift you don't get paid. The sergeants (line managers) are useless and will blame you every time they get something wrong they will blame you. The training at Hendon is rushed and sub-standard and they'll blame you if you get something wrong despite it being a lack of training. Senior management will not back you in any instance
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Terrible line managers and pointless paperwork
My placement at the MPS was absolutely amazing, I was offered plenty of support with on-boarding, there were some very dedicated employees and plenty of training/development opportunities were made available. A typical day working in MPS offices started of great, talkative, I was always happy to go into work and never ended up clock-watching or talking negatively about the business or role.
Pros
flexible working, fulfilling, advancement opportunities
Cons
long hours, salary, sometimes unrealistic expectations