Metropolitan Police
Happiness score is 59 out of 100

Metropolitan Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom661 reviews

The job is completely a big risk

The job is completely a big risk and the money they pay does not equalize the risk you rake on a daily basis, compare to America and UK there is so much difference, in UK they do not even give you a gun.

My childhood dream which became a nightmare

I would strongly discourage anyone from becoming a Police Officer.It was my childhood dream and I had a strong desire to help people.From day one on a 999 response team I was treated like a child with no respect. More senior PCs would make you do all of the work because they couldn’t be bothered. It’s know as the warrant card game (who has the higher number) Sergeants ask you to do things they have no idea how to do themselves.You spend your life at the station doing endless paperwork and risk assessments that 9 times out of 10 goes nowhere.Forget a social life, you will never finish work on time.Most people pair up with people in the job. I’ve never seen so man at affairs and job relationships as well. The public hate you until they need you. The equipment is of a poor standard. I was once patrolling the streets and my baton holder just fell off my belt. The training was insufficient and the CPS send you unrealistic deadlines.You will make friends for life. People have your back and you have theirs.The pension is amazing about £1000 a monthFree London Travel.The job will change you. You are always on duty. I used to enjoy a few drinks but with that warrant card in your pocket you better stop after two.Counselling is available via OH6 months off work on full pay6 months off on half payYour mental health will be strained. You must keep talking to your co workers friends and family. A lot of police officers develop alcohol and drug issues to cope with the stress anxiety and depression as a result of the job.The job will effect you. Get used to seeing a -

Insights into Metropolitan Police

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Depressing and very stressful

The Metropolitan police is an organisation that has terrific comradeship amongst the ordinary rank and file. However it has a reputation for an " if your face fits culture " it seems that The senior officers get to be senior officers by passing exams and being able to have friends in high places . In some cases their ability to manage is worse than terrible although they attend various management courses . In other cases there are very worthy officers who attain senior ranks . I served in an environment of back stabbing and double standards . I would never recommend anyone to join the Metropolitan Police . Apparently the Superintendent's Association has recently said that moral is at an all time low !

Wouldn’t reccomend

No work life balance as you can imagine. Cancelled rest days. No welfare. They don’t care about mental health, even if it is as a result of the work you’ve done. Thankless job.

Stressful but you feel part of a team.

Good starting as a career no two days are the same. There is a police family at times and a good feeling of working as a team. Unfortunately there is a lot bureaucracy.

Challenging but rewarding

I am not going to say that working as a Special Constable was easy and without challenges. But I gained lots of experience and transferable skills and friends for life at the same time.

Pros

Rewarding when helping people Great colleagues Great management

Cons

Night shifts Sometimes risky

Varried opportunities in Law Enforcement but so Politically driven Politically driven

Organisation that seems to have lost it's sense of direction due to continual political interference it finds its self under. Has the ability handle Law Enforcement situations very well provide an exceiting varried career, but currently always under constant review from outside agencies and politicians which becomes very sole destroying after a while.

Pros

Varried career no two days the same

Cons

Lack of respect from the communities you Police, long hours, shifts changed regularly for court attendance and very low moral in the organisation

It’s what you make of it

It’s very stressful and tiring. You’re likely to lose any involvement with any relationship outside of the police. The hardest thing is maintaining your personal life. You’re never off duty, no matter what anyone says. Management is given to most people who pass the exam, but saying that; the exam is t difficult…

Used to be food

Not enough people and those in charge are only interested in their own progression. All about meetings and networking (wecops) and not actually policing. Talking about it rather than doing it

Poorly run service poor management and no care for employees

Poorly run service poor management . Half of the staff and employees lack training and have no idea about what they are actually doing or how to make decisions.

good job

every day different very intense. out door work everybody always watching you. very stressful job. Has a very macho workplace culture. if you cannot chat to member's of the public job not for you

Cons

Police are supposed to be impartial but are a political football. Getting kicked by everyone

Police are supposed to bring criminals to justice or at least help, but as long as you are wealthy and a politician you’re ok, so do whatever you like. We have not had a pay rise in over ten years as the politicians and our senior management team have sold us out. If you want to destroy your family and social life and get paid poorly then this is the job for you. Welcome

Pros

Very little apart from subsidised TFL travel

Cons

Weekend working, last minute rest day cancellations, night shifts. All of these are detrimental to health and are not reflected in pay.

Great Place

Loved it, always supported, great team. never had a problem if I needed help. Worked the hours that were good for me and my family.based where I wanted to be based.

Exciting role

Great job but stressful at times can be very exciting but followed but paperwork and lots of admin. Great group of people who work there doing a sometimes hard job

No personal life

Stressful job, with loads of responsibility straight ahead and unbearable hours

The job itself is good and rewarding.different training is offered throughout the year to all staff and officers who want it.The hours are very long and it can take its toll on your body and mental health.Majority of the managers are absolutely awful and need training on how to deal with people respectfully….with that being said double standards and favouritism is also a huge issue amongst some of the teams at hendon met fc …its resulted in an awful bullying culture which has led to staff feeling isolated and anxious …you are also heavily disciplined for being sick so people tend to work till they feel even worse which leads to absence management and other anxiety inducing bull

Pros

good salary rest days discounts

Cons

long hours bullying culture insensitive managers double standards favouritism ageism no parking

Toxic environment

Mistreated by not only the public, but your colleagues and managers too. Get treated like dirt for being different to the 'ideal police officer' And Londoners are very ungrateful for the thankless job some officers do, usually trying to help THEM!

Stressful

Stressful and enough pay. Take breaks when you can, no official break times. Be prepared to go well over time you were meant to finish and don’t set social plans in stone.

Watch your back

Working for a police service, you really need to watch your back. What you say or do. My team and sergeant in fact all colleagues I've spoken to are amazing. The people are amazing. However senior management seem to have no clue what is going on below and all they want is for teams to do specific tasks to tick their own boxes but doesn't do anything beneficial for the public. Note I was a PCSO who had a goal to transition into a PC. My whole team said I would become a very good PC with all the attributes needed. However, applying for a PC is the same as not being in a job. No bonus points for having the skills and knowledge. You have to apply from scratch. I, for some reason didn't pass my application for PC. I'm one that knows the job, how it works and wanted to pursue my career. However the Met are recruiting outside and people joining leaving after 2 weeks after seeing what it's like.

Pros

Decent pay for what i do

Cons

Very disorganised organisation

Stressful with large workloads but you feel as if you've made a difference

Depending on where you start you will have different experiences. Having started on response team the work was fast paced from the beginning, however being out there helping people feels worthwhile. Plus there's nothing quite like the camaraderie oyu have with your team. However you'll find more and more work piling up sometimes because of staff and officer shortages which means the work can become very stressful and it's easy to get bogged down if you do not make an effort to keep up wit the work.All in all, there's no experience quite like it, but it definitely has its negatives.

Pros

Great teamworking, every day is something new

Cons

Members of the public can be difficult to deal with, large workloads

Awful

Being a police officer will affect your whole life … shift pattern, cancelled rest days ( days off ) … dealing day to day with other people’s problems ..

Pros

Cons

Many

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metropolitan Police. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement