Michael Dyson Associates Ltd

Michael Dyson Associates Ltd Employee Reviews

Excellent company with oppertunity for career progression

I started at Michael Dyson recently after finishing my degree in Architecture and this company has provided me with an excellent start in my career. The directors have provided support towards my career goals and are interested in how I would like to progress in the future but there is no added pressure to do so. The work environment is positive and relaxing even when the pressure is on to meet deadlines. Generally there is no long overtime hours, although days out of the office can be longer than normal working hours due to travelling. sometimes there is a need for a little extra overtime in the office if a deadline is approaching. Any extra time worked is appreciated and management are happy to accommodate flexible hours for appointments unrelated to work. Overall I have found working for Michael Dyson Associates enjoyable and welcoming. Regular social events have helped with settling into the company and getting to know my colleagues.

Pros

Regular up to date training. Progression is encouraged but not pressured.

Cons

Long days when out of the office.

Great company to work for if you feel like throwing your colleagues under the bus.

I'll start off by saying I know I wasn't the best employee, I did mess up a number of times, partly due to my relaxed attitude, partly due to not knowing what on earth was going on. The MD is a fair chap, firm but reasonable. The other directors are hit and miss. I came in at low level, with barely any experience, and I expected them to train me up in view of my title as a trainee surveyor. I was on a fairly low wage and the world was expected of me after the first week. I was told to go out on site and do work with no explanation as to why and very little explanation on how to actually do the work. The hours expected of you are ridiculous, on average around 45/46 hours a week, with only 37 paid. This combined with my low wage meant nearly every week I was working for much less than minimum wage (for a 20 year old). Every year they take on undergraduates and 2 months after I started a new bunch of undergraduates started. I was called into the managers office several times stating I need to be taking the lead out on site, without actually knowing what I was doing myself, due to poor training and people being too busy to tell me anything. These same people who couldn't train me were the same ones to berate me because I didn't know what I was doing. The atmosphere (especially in the department I was in) in MDA is very cliquey, how well you do at work will depend on your social skills and whether you are willing to gossip about anyone and everyone when they leave the room. I was made fun of because of my religious situation when I left the room (I didn't say anything -

Official response from Michael Dyson Associates Ltd

25 September 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your time at MDA. Due to privacy restrictions we are unable to respond personally on a point by point basis but we hope what follows will serve as constructive observations on our part. We are pleased to hear that you feel our Managing Director is fair and reasonable, it is a quality we convey across the company and we all, as employees, pride ourselves on this being one of our strong company values.The company works hard and continuously, as you will know from the heavy training investment you received, to upskill all employees to be the best version of themselves; supporting their career goals both financially and pastorally with the benefit of experienced mentors who assist in the process of employee success.The welfare of our staff is of utmost importance and one of the reasons we operate a timesheet sheet system, which is reviewed weekly by our Managing Director, is to ensure employees are maintaining a good work/life balance, which is in our view good practice. At no point have we ever nor would we ever pay below the NMW, indeed as an SME not based in a city centre our salaries are above average supported by excellent benefits – if we want the best people we believe we have to invest in them. As your role will have required overnight stop overs you will have benefitted from the overnight allowances, payments towards evening meals and breakfasts etc. No doubt you will also have benefitted from our Social Committee providing excellent teambuilding events for all to enjoy as a thank-you throughout the year and from other -

Fantastic company with great management and friendly staff.

Great company to work for and extremely professional. I have been with MDA for 9 months. It is the best and most rewarding job I have ever had. I have learnt so much in this time which has added further experience to my ever growing knowledge. No day is the same! Each day is rewarding and challenging. If you want to work for a company who will invest in you then you have arrived at the right place.

Pros

flexible, rewarding, challenging, variety..

Cons

Can not think of any!!!!

"An excellent practice offering career development in a professional environment."

After undertaking a 14 month undergraduate placement period I returned back to MDA after being sponsored through my final year of university. Surrounded by a wealth of experience and knowledge from other colleagues, my industry knowledge and technical ability has developed substantially throughout my employment. I am continually pushed (positively) to perform to the best of my professional abilities and am offered continued training for me to attain my accreditation, MCIAT. MDA frequently appraise employee's personal performance and set out an individual progression plan in which certain competency targets are set in order to progress within the company. In a short period of time thus far, I have gained invaluable construction and industry knowledge which will benefit me for my career ahead. Good personal time management skills are crucial to manage workloads to ensure deadlines are achieved. My only criticism of MDA at present is the heavy workloads put on each discipline, however, the nature of the industry is the sale of time to provide a professional service, therefore it is expected in a profession such as architecture; this also further assists in developing personal management and individual performance. I would highly recommend employment at Michael Dyson Associates and see it as an excellent place of work with modern offices, a pleasant working environment and regular social events paid for by the company.

Pros

Knowledgable colleagues provide excellent training and support

Cons

Heavy workloads

A great place for an Undergraduate

Michael Dyson Associates Ltd invest heavily in their Undergraduates, the more you impress the more likely you are to be offered a position after graduating. They don't look for those who tick all the right boxes or are the best on paper, but who they think will fit in with their current staff and be an asset to the company in the future. A typical day in the office differs depending on what you are doing, for example, my first few weeks of starting work I was office based so that I could get a feel for things, third week in I was on site in North Lanarkshire looking at LPS High Rise Blocks, breaking out concrete, testing for carbonation around steel reinforcements, also working out how the panels were interlinked from floor to floor. The following week I was in Barnsley completing Measured Surveys, drawing floor plans and elevations to be used for CAD drawings. The week after that I was in London completing Condition Surveys, looking at houses and flats to see what type of condition they were in and how long the fixtures and fittings would last, both internally and externally. You really get around whilst working at Michael Dyson Associates Ltd, and this is one of the more enjoyable part of Michael Dyson Associates. Since starting my position at Michael Dyson Associates, I genuinely feel like I've learnt more in 4 months than 2 years at University and would recommend this as a placement to anyone, I moved down from Newcastle to work here and I am so glad I did because I love it! The hardest part of the job is the first day, information will be thrown at you left right -

Pros

Learning from Day 1, Made to feel like it is a job not a placement year, Friendly staff, Finish by 5, dress down Fridays, out of work activities with staff

Progressive company

I joined MDA six years ago after many years of self employment. Despite reservations of line-manager led control and directives I have found the company advocates autonomy and self-governance where possible. Progression and self-improvement through further training is encouraged and provided by the company. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend MDA as an employer.

Fantastic workplace and a great team

I have now been at Michael Dyson Associates over two years and have nothing but praise for the company. We have a great working environment with a pro active supportive management structure. We are always encouraged to further our training and increase our qualifications which makes a refreshing change. All in all a great place to work.

Pros

Great working environment with a good team. Encouragement to advance your career

Cons

No real issues

Hard work and commitment is recognised

The location of the company (Huddersfield) means that Nationwide travel is required to attend the various sites around the UK where the projects are. This does mean early starts, late finishes and overnight stays; however the latter does result in an overnight ££ allowance being given.The team I work within is friendly and supportive with the majority of the team having worked at MDA for over 6 years; many of the others are returning graduates following an undergraduate placement in previous years.The head of my team is knowledgeable, approachable and helpful with all staff and all aspects of the work.Being an SME means the management team are hands-on and always happy to speak with staff directly regardless of their level or job role.Hard-work and commitment is expected but the company would not be as successful and profitable if this work-ethic was not in place.Salary and benefits are good and annual appraisals ensure all staff are aware of their goals and targets in order to progress.

Pros

Holiday allowance, Car Allowance/Company Car, Salary, Friendly Team Environment

Cons

Travel

The opportunity for progression.

I was at Michael Dyson Associates Ltd (MDA) for roughly 3 and half years, in the IT Dept. I was brought into MDA as an apprentice from college and MDA trained me up to work alongside their current Senior IT Support Technician, and help within the Asset Management Dept. (AMT) As the business is a more construction and architecture company, I felt that my time as an IT Technician was at a road block, I left in hopes of finding new IT progression. After leaving MDA and starting at a new IT company, I felt that the new company I was working for, were offering me progression that they could not follow through on providing. After some consideration and a meeting with MDA, I was offered the opportunity to progress in a new area of the company, working with AMT Dept. in a more construction role. MDA has helped me progress from an Apprentice to an IT Technician, and are now helping me move on to progress into a new role as a Project Manager. I am learning the ropes of how the AMT Dept. really work and allowing me to see the progression I was looking for in a career.

Pros

MDA are a supportive company, They give training to anyone who may require or request it, Good team morale and company morale with the opportunity to take part in fun events.

Cons

Long hours, traveling and staying away from home is difficult, even though a con it isn't like this everyday and is worth it in the long run.

Productive and provides valuable knownledge and experience

Day to day work provides a range of various task, gained valuable experience within this construction sector, workplace culture unique, hardest part of the job long hours and far distances to drive on a weekly basis, hard work is a must in any job but little recognition when complete, lots of negativity when a minor error is found, staff are mostly helpful with a select few which are not. Most enjoyable part is learning various jobs office based or site based, gaining much needed experience and gaining friendships either with work colleagues or clients.

Pros

Experience

Poor management

MDA should be a good, interesting place to work, however the whole experience of working there is marred by excessive bureaucracy, an autocratic management style and certain unprofessional practices. One would think that the senior management would worry about the high turnover of professional staff at the company but they seem to arrogantly ignore such matters.

Pros

Some interesting projects

Cons

The management

Self employed status

Detailed and methodical approach complimented but brevity and faster surveys rewarded.

Pros

Self employed = freedom and flexibilty

Cons

Treated as employed = Do as your told

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michael Dyson Associates Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8Job security/advancement