Microsoft

United Kingdom216 reviews

Found 216 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,529 reviews
technologyrolecolleagueculturebalancedevelopmentinvolvedteam

I 💛 you Microsoft

Really, really missing this place, people, work life balance. If I could stay longer I would but there was no funding to extend my contract 😔 All team was sad when was my time to go.

Average

Non collaborative environment. Microsoft wastes its time competing internally instead of working for the customer. Role not properly defined so at times people are doing the same job in different teams. Empire building strategy

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Politics

Insights into Microsoft

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility

amazing place to work

reccomend working here great team n culture. great management great vibe . i loved my time here was fun and inspirational. highly reccomend. great management

Cliched FANG terms, insane demands for high pay

I was told there'd be training and development. Instead I got a contract for 12 hours a day and no formal training or allowance for me to develop. A lot of my time was spent interpreting woolly specifications in a new discipline.The whole MS ecosystem was in fact new to me. I was given MS specific technologies to learn more often than the ones I had been growing to love. A steep curve given the non-proprietary discipline was new to me. But MS have the money.The interviewing process was quick, I met the team, answered some easy questions and got my contract quickly.Too quickly to debate the 12 hour clause, and, whilst words matter, I was desperate. I kept up 12 hour days a couple of weeks before productivity tanked and whatever I did was never enough.I was consistently told of unrealistic expectations of me. Work would be dumped on me late in the afternoon and I'd be expected to complete it that afternoon. Then the manager would continue with future requirements when I was already behind. It was hard to know when the manager was being serious as he had the stereotypical technoking deadpan delivery. Turns out that's very effective for pressuring workers.Responding to "simple" questions with procrastination, protracted discussions, and meetings left me struggling. That's for textual questions, verbal reasoning was similar but far harder to keep up with as he could more easily slip distracting, or wrong, words in.As I wrote in the summary, contracting for big tech companies is a cliche in that only the most driven survive, by sacrificing everything.OTOH, contracting -

Pros

Pay, expenses, brand

Cons

Hours, expectations, progression, training

Great pay and very fair

Overall, you are paid well and senior people treat you fairly - you work for your money, but aren't taken advantage of.Hours can be long as you work with the US so calls can go late

Pros

salary

Cons

can be long hours

Good for what I needed at the time

Games tested, I came, I saw, I tested, I got paid. I went home. Sure there is more to it, minimum wage, flexiable days of work. 9-5 strict breaks.

Pros

Sutable for anyone that needs something.

Cons

Zero chance for more. Just move on.

Very bad

Not recommended to everyone. work life balance is very pathetic.innivations are very low.tgey don't have any emotional intelligence. Can't recommend to any one

Great Place to work in!

Very collaborative team and lots of learning opportunities. Diversity and inclusion is taken very seriously. Lots of social interactions with the wider team as well.

Pros

Salary, learning opportunities, D&I

Great Company for the Right Folks

Tons of cross-collaboration work which allows one to grow beyond their expertise. Promotes and encourages regional transfers. Attractive salary and bonuses. Work-life integration. Rockstar CEO/ CFO. Constant re-organization does not make anyone feel safe and secure about their role. Strategies are in a well-written "hundred-page" documents. Ever heard of powerpoint?

Pros

Benefits/ Stock Options/ Free food

Cons

Constant Re-org; Non-tech will be lost in all the jargon

Best tech company to work for, and much better than those who focus on exploiting customer data. I genuinely think most people want to help each other and our customers.

Pros

Smart people, interesting challenges

Cons

300k employees can be unwieldy

I was working on catering

Was good make good friends, a bit busy sometimes, the restaurant isn’t good to work. Hospitality was good. Salary isn’t enough, but company could pay a bit more.

Pros

Free lunch, good work hours

Cons

Busy and sometimes a bit stressful

Fantastic place to do cutting-edge research

Microsoft Research Cambridge is definitely one of the best research institutions in the world to work for. I enjoyed each and every day of my stay there and learnt a lot.

Pros

Incredibly smart (but also humble) colleagues, friendly workplace culture, very interesting projects, competitive compensation and benefits

Bad management

Unfortunately, I had a terrible experience soon after all the excitement of joining a global company like Microsoft the excitement didn’t last very long!! I joined the Customer Success unit and I didn’t think I have ever worked for any company where the management team was so bad that people were constantly stressed, frustrated and upset not just with the management team but also with the culture around the unit!! People were treated terribly and differently depending on how long you was working for the company!! It is very unfortunate because I didn’t enjoy the company but avoid the customer success unit UK team!

Pros

Long hours, treated unfairly and very unfriendly

Cons

Lovely offices

Inspiring and self fulfilling

During my time at Microsoft I worked under a number of managers, across various business units - every experience was positive, self fulfilling and a pleasure to be a part of. Progression and personal development was a continuous focus and the business was proactive at giving individuals an opportunity to strive for new opportunity and exposure

Microsoft has a very diverse work ethic at a fast pace. A very enjoyable place to work with strong employees dedicated to do their best. A great work life balance

Beyond expectations

Great company work ethic, Very helpful and team orientated Really good work life balance Good management structure Plenty options to expand your technical portfolio

Pros

Learning

Not for me..

Over the time i have worked at microsoft, it was an absolutely dream come true to be given the opportunity to work there. However, the dream came to an end as the shine wore off very quickly. Good Stuff:- Working with various teams is extremely fun. There is lots of great productivity and collaboration across the team and there is lots of learning that becomes available to you. Microsoft offers lots of opportunity for graduates and learning. Politics does not really affect you. Networking and relationship - there is really great work/life balance if you work hard. Building networks and relationships is really easy and everyone is made to feel welcome from the start regardless of job title and whether they are US, UK, Europe, Aus, NZ based. There are lots of people with talent and skills and that make it really interesting place to work. Advocate in Charity - If your interests gage into charity work this is an excellent workplace for you to join. There have been times where i get to spend 2 days paid doing charity work for schools, charities and other companies in not for profit. Bad Stuff:- Within 3 months of starting, it felt like i was a number in a team and driven to help microsoft in sales more than evangelise in the technology. Their was a huge emphasis on license management more than product and when discussing product it was to help drive sales of office 365 and add ons. Even though sales was not my thing. PiP (Personal Improvement Performance) - There is a huge emphasis on Personal Improvement Performance and learning is only 25% of it. -

Pros

Subsidised Lunches

Cons

Very Long Hours, Back Stabbing, Unknown who to trust, Poor Management, Feeling like a number, Superficial PIP expectations

Productive and collaborative workplace

Productive workplace with good leadership and management qualities. Collaborative teams where individuals look to help each other grow. Constant learning culture.

Productive, Fun place to work

Lovely place to work, with very friendly staff and clean safe place to work. Canteen and several areas to work independently and with groups. light and airy environment.

Top Global company

It's not a coincidence that Microsoft is a Trillion dollar company, and it shows in all aspects. Professionalism and dedication to the customer is the ethos of everything that is done.

Cons

Work/Life balance

Embrace what it is - the benefits are huge!

Working for a big org like this has its advantages. Embrace them and make the most of your time there to meet amazing people and connect for future roles!

Pros

Flexible working, remote working, well paid, autonomous teams

Cons

Can be long hours, can be pressured, job insecurity

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Microsoft. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Microsoft with

Learn about Microsoft in popular locations

• Microsoft
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?