Millennium Hotels & Resorts

Millennium Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews

United Kingdom65 reviews

freestaffskillteamlunchmanagerhourenjoy

Good for a first job

During my time there I worker within a lovely team of switchboard operators. Some and not all of the front of house staff were friendly and helpful. The salary was ok for a first job but could have been better for the amount of work being done.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

shift patterns

fast paced and mundane

You're always learning something new, however the guests are very snobby and the management/facilities are quite poor so you as a front of house receptionist gets the blame from the guests

Insights into Millennium Hotels & Resorts

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Poorly management

Everyone was living has the GM is ruined the hotel. I felt very happy working there but for a good hotel, they need a good leader. I hope they can find strong staff to work with love and knowledge.

Negative work environment

Had multiple supervisors and managers, all of whom told us how to do stuff different ways which meant we often got told off by others. HUGE staff turnover rate, on your feet for hours with no break, management unprofessional, often talked badly about other members of staff and made it clear they didn't care about who worked for them. Was made to feel in trouble for having two sick days unfortunately in a month, couldn't be helped.. Got absolutely no response when handed in notice, just left without a word from management

Pros

Free food/parking

Cons

Bad management/little to no breaks

Stressful, no support, management all wrong

Job was very stressful with no supportManagement structure all wrong more a dictatorship, no praise where due, Just not a good place to work.Lazy workers

Pros

No night work

Fun Workplace

I've been working for the company for the past 2 years and I like the staff. The job is just a job like everywhere, but the staff makes the job look like a breeze.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

Overtime is not paid unless requested.

Not recommended

Not recommended, it might be better for you to look for another company rather than Millennium. Short breaks, untrained staff, high turnover of staff and the management. Salary is below living wage. Unfair workforce.

Overall a good company to work for.

Overall a decent company to work for, you face the same situations and personalities you would in any job that involves working with the public. However in my experience its the people here that make the job, the team really are this hotels shining star. Management are supportive without micro managing. The main thing this hotel is fast space and isnt a place for slackers. If you want to work here you have to give it your all.

Ottimo

Imparare dalla base come organizzare un evento in sala.

Ambiente di lavoro stimolante e impegnativo

Essendo un Hotel di 833 stanze in zona 1 a Londra era sempre molto affollato, questo significava che il lavoro da svolgere era impegnativo (non nel senso di difficile, in quanto se si ha la buona volontà si impara molto velocemente) ma nel senso di lavorare assiduamente per alcune ore ed essere costretti a posticipare la propria pausa pranzo per esempio. Nonostante tutto, sono molto contenta ad aver avuto la possibilità di lavorare in un posto del genere, continuamente a contatto con gente proveniente da tutti i continenti, sia per quanto riguarda i colleghi di lavoro che per i clienti dell'hotel. Questa esprienza lavorativa mi ha aiutata a migliorare, oltre che conoscenza della lingua inglese, anche la capacità di lavorare in situazioni di stress e di essere flessibile ed adattarmi alle esigenze lavorative o a diversi orari lavorativi a volte. Ad essere veloce e precisa allo stesso tempo nel svolgere i miei compiti, aumentare l'autostima e la fiducia in me stessa e anche la soddisfazione ad essere in grado di fare il proprio lavoro correttamente. In conclusione, consiglierei questa esperienza a chiunque voglia mettersi in gioco proprio come ho fatto io, in quanto posso dire mi abbia aiutata a crescere sia personalmente che professionalmente (quando dopo 10 mesi lavorando come Receptionist, ho chiesto il trasferimento per poter lavorare in ufficio/Back Office, una soddisfazione personale ad esserci riuscita e ad avere avuto l'approvazione per poterlo fare). Tutto questo percorso ha agevolato lo svliluppo di aumentare il grado di responsabilità, la capacitò di empatia e problem -

Harsh work environment

Colleagues were very kind and some of the managers too. Very low payment and stressful environment. Sometimes I had to work over 12 hours. Almost never had free weekends finished very late every night.

Toxic Company Culture

General company culture is poor with people who shout the loudest getting further than people that are actually good at their job. -Various changes have seen several global roles moved from London to Singapore which has meant communication within departments has been very fractured and unorganised. With most of the day to day work being carried out by the London team with no real recognition or acknowledgement. It became a regular occurrence for the London team to asked to create new strategies for global, only for us to be completely shut out on implementation or execution even though this was supposed to be within our remit. -Senior Management would regularly bully staff and external agencies including refusing to pay agencies unless they carried out extra work for free. -HR was a mixture of people who didn't want to help employees and people who were unable to due to the company setup. For example, they are unable to share exit interviews with other regional HR teams due to data protection laws, even though most of our team report into people outside of the UK. -D&I is severely lacking, I had several issues with this during my time at MHR and the response given from HR was laughable and never really taken seriously. Compared to other department & industry standards, the salary was pretty good but it still not worth the terrible company culture. Overall, after having to work with all of the regional teams and hotels, it became clear that the toxic work environment was just the MHR way, encouraged by senior management at all levels in every region. Would -

Pros

High turnover means that you can work you way up through the company very quickly.

Cons

Blame culture, lack of communication, heavy reliance on external agencies for day to day work.

Avoid

Very poor culture where there is no collaborative effort or a set direction. The focus is one of bullying subordinates and then blaming them for the General Managers and VPs short comings

lovely people

lovely people to work with but the organisation could be better and have better core values. pay was in line with what it should of been for most employees

Yea realy enjoyed my time there

Great place to work only for the railway taken back part of the hotel that was on lease for majour development I would still be there the management was as sad as I was they had to let me go but when you lose 40 rooms its a big loss regarding meals

5 star experience

I have learnt an excellent customer service and improved my leader and manager skills while I was performing Guest Relations Manager position. Working with events and sales to maintain and growing relationships high profile guests and clients.

Life experiences

The things that I enjoy most is that my job always allow me to meet new people from around the world, sure it gets busy and it can be tiring but it doesn’t matter when you are doing things you like. Doing this job I have learned how difficult can be dealing with people complaints and sometimes balancing life at work with personal life but It definitely allowed me to grow personally and work wise and made me a stronger person

Avoid

Would only suggest working here if you need something to keep you going to get a actual good job that treats you well. Be expected to be paid min wage even for night shift, also you will get free lunch during the night shift, when actually that food was made up between 8-12 hours before you started your shift as the food given to you actually is the left-over food from the tours. You’ll be expected to work so much and so hard for little thanks and be expected to work also in other departments area even when they have their own staff available. For setting up the function rooms you will have to bring tables and chairs from their swimming pool which is a health & safety risk, due to having no lights in the old abandoned swimming pool area, so you have to make sure you are extremely careful when being in that area. The chefs etc do not wear hair nets also within the kitchen so there's that also. Be expected to be verbally abused from your supervisor. Just give yourself a favour and Avoid working there or eating there for that matter. Pros Some really nice staff members and of course it’s a job Cons Working there in general.

A good start

It’s a good place to start your career and learn, gain some experience in the hospitality industry. You have the opportunity to work different departments within the hotel, therefore you will earn more experience along your way.

disorganise but great colleagues

Not great organisation, great staff, staff food isn't bad, serving some celebrities and football players, competitions (sommelier, cocktails, etc) within the company with great prizes for the winner

Poor work environment, no meritocracy

Been working for M&CH for about 7 years. In 2012 thanks to a great Head of Events in one of the Hotels based in SW London I had the chance of learning everything I know now. However once this Head of Events left the venue, there hasn't been any other great manager since. Poor interest in staff training, very much underpaid, only preferred employees will progress within the company, it is not a meritocratic system. Will never work for a Singaporean chain ever again as the whole focus is centered on profit and not quality.

Pros

staff discounts

Cons

no meritocracy, profit preferred over quality, very low salary.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Millennium Hotels & Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement