Miller & Carter
Happiness score is 47 out of 100

Miller & Carter Employee Reviews

Great team and management, poor structure of training

- Deputy managers are really friendly and easy to get on with. You can have a laugh with them and are great to be around. Manager is usually firm but fair, open to have a laugh but quite intimidating.- Always something to do, rarely standing round doing nothing.- Manager expects you to know all table numbers perfectly within 2 weeks, if you go wrong, they'll pull you aside and tell you why it's so important to get it right.- Managers can be very slow adding you to social group chats and messaging you. Took a while to get me logged onto the "Teamplan" app to get your shifts. I had to get that info from a colleague who I already knew rather than a manager.- Breaks are hard to come by- No food provided, make sure you eat and take a drink with you else you'll probably end up fainting- The WORST part of this company is the extortionate amount of online, unpaid training you have to do. You have to sacrifice your free time to attend online seminars and complete a large amount of courses. You'll spend several hours doing these courses, most of which are pretty useless and very temperamental. The software you do it on is outdated and slow and doesn't register your progress as it say it should. If you're late, or slow on any of the courses, you get a deputy manager nagging you to complete it - despite the amount of time it takes and this thing called a life you have outside of work.

Pros

Great team, great mangers, always something to do

Cons

Extortionate amount of unpaid training, no free food, high expectations when new

Horrible place to work

At first everything was fine, but as soon as you get past the new stage they turn horrible, worst management I've ever worked for, except for a few management who was actually nice the other managers couldn't care about you and your life, the staff there are nice and amazing to talk to and the customers was mostly okay, but if you consider working there be ready to be belittled and bullied by the head management!

Pros

Tips, employees

Cons

Management, hours

horrible

management is rude,disrespectful and expect too much out of you for minimum wage. they would always mess up everyone’s pay.you would never be able to take your holiday because they are always short staffed.they always ask you to stay for overtime & same days never given breaks

Cons

last minute shifts, not respected or ever recognised for your work, rubbish money

Fun workplace

I am interested in the Position and I am also Proud to be Part of the Team and it is an excellent and an amazing place to work And the people there that I work with their all an amazing people And it is good to experience Something New And is it any T-shirt available for me just in case whenever I start work please

Pros

Free Lunch

Excellent place to work.

Excellent environment, great management, nice food. The company has trainings for each area of work, making possible the job growth of each of its workers.

Pros

business culture

Great team, poor management

Working here can be rewarding but sadly it’s management that ruin itThe rota normally comes out of the Sunday night for the following day so no real chance to plan life outside of work but even that rota could change at any moment without communication

Pros

Don’t spend money at weekends

Cons

No social life

Bursledon Miller and Carter

This was my first job, and I've now been there a year and a half and I have loved it, its like a family there and you feel welcome, if you work hard you are considered reliable and are given more responsibilities which shows you're appreciated here.

Pros

50% off food while on shift and 33% off food out of hours

Cons

Rotas can take a while to get organised sometimes, but shifts can be covered if necessary

treated badley

chefs put plastic sauce packets in microwave and they burn.grill not cleanned and chefs did not clean kitchen. It is long hours and very fast paced and left alone on first shift without trainning.

Pros

local

Cons

bad habits of chefs

Excellent service

Amazing company ethos and ethical standards. Fast ticket times and only 2% of complaints. High quality drinks and service is the number 1 for any company to succeed.

Pros

Free lunch

Great company

Miller and Carter really do care about their staff.The managers and head office look to assist everyone get the best training and majority of hires are from internal movement or promotion.Sites of course do differ but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them.

Pros

Flexibility, training, progression.

Cons

Antisocial hours.

Jobs at Miller & Carter

See more jobs

Absolutely Loved Working Here

I loved working at M&C! I was a member of the bar team and I love being kept busy, the shifts flew because you always had something to do never standing around, you’re always learning something new and learning all the cocktails is great, and this never gets boring as they change! All the staff at the time were lovely and everyone got on brilliant!

Pros

Discounts in many places

Cons

None for me

Friendly and productive workplace

Really enjoyed working there, gave me a lot of waitressing experience.There's a friendly workplace environment, even though it can get stressful at busy times.

Pros

Can earn a lot of tips

Cons

Low pay without tips, no free lunches

Productive but stressful

You’re always on your feet and it’s never quiet so if you like a slow pace this isn’t the place for you. Earn a lot on tips though so wages are brill

Pros

Tips go directly to you

Cons

Long hours. Stressful

Fun workplace

My first ever job and I have been there for just over 2 years. The best team to work with and were a little family! Would recommend! although the pay isn’t the best, You get all your tips when you’re a waitress!

Pros

Tips and 50% food when on shift. also, 33% bill in other miller and carter’s and all mitchell and butlers restaurants!

Cons

Poor management and work ethic

From my experience, whilst I was initially very excited to work for a Mitchell and Butler’s company, Miller & Carter was a vast disappointment. The organisation is terrible; stock is always missing or low, deliveries are rarely put away correctly and new stock is opened before the currently opened stock is finished. The work ethic seems lazy and shows a lack of care for appearance and efficiency. That being said, the general staff were very friendly and easy to converse with for the most part.

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Poor wage, expensive food, poor management

Good luck

Not recommended if your a female especially under 18. Keep yourself dressed and only get changed at home and stay to yourself. It’s fun, but keep your eyes open

Pros

Discount

Cons

Perverts

Deceptive and no support from superiors

Employed for a new site opening in 2019 - at interview I felt this would be a good job and was told there were guaranteed hours. Oh how I'd been deceived. On the day where I signed the contract the contract turned out to be a 0 hour contract worded very cleverly (x hours but these are not guaranteed). Despite this I decided to give it a try, and if I still didn't want to carry on I could leave at the end of the probationary period. They were also aware of a medical condition which meant I struggled with certain things, such as carrying multiple plates in one hand due to an injury. I had raised this multiple times, yet the managers were still unsympathetic and offered no support at all throughout my time - one manager made me open a wine bottle despite me saying I would cause further damage to my hand. This then caused further damage to my hand which resulted in ending my shift early and having problems for about a month in my studies - this manager just said they didn't care when I originally expressed my concerns, and when I became distressed due to upcoming exams and worries over my future, I was told to grow up (these exams did end up affecting my future plans). Overall, the managers were not at all supportive as they claimed to be originally, and could not care less about struggling team members, only focusing on those who got the most positive reviews. They also leave you hanging with no hours for weeks on end, and as I was about to hand in my resignation, I finally heard from them THE DAY BEFORE THEY HAD TO CLOSE DUE TO COVID - they had had opportunities to speak to -

Pros

Discount across all M&B brands

Cons

No regular hours, uncooperative managers, no support from managers

Miller and Carter was a fun, dynamic place to work and I would highly recommend it to others. It depends on what the individual site manager is like, but generally they all seem great. Regularly updated on the current status of our branch, which is nice to know. Incentives for waitresses to upsell. The online training is good, but physical training depends on the specific branch.

Pros

Discounted food

Cons

Short notice for shifts

Perfect place to work

Perfect place to work when you are young, good tips. It’s nice to be to have a full time position, but I believe everyone can get full time position within the time

Pros

Good staff discount, good tips

Cons

Short shifts

Fast paced enviroment

You would clock into shift, grab a buzzer and handset to take orders. You would then check which section you are serving and greet your customers logging the table on your device. Present your steak speech, give them a menu and take orders. You would then go to the bar bring the customer their drinks. You may have another table at the same time so you will greet and take their orders also. When your buzzers goes off you will then have to collect their food and bring it to them with sauces/ cutlery if needed. You will then go back and check on your other tables and clean and dress your free tables. You will then get rid of finished meals. When asked for the bill you log it on your device and bring over a card machine. If the payment is cash and there is change you have a float (your own money) which you carry to give out change. During your day you may have to assist your co-workers with their tables. At the end of shift you will clean and dress your tables and then be given an end of shift job. You then clock out and give in £5 of your earnings and keep the rest.During my time here I learned after training finishes you are on your own and need to know what you are doing as you don't get much help. You need to memorise table numbers and be very alert. The management team where I worked was awful. If I had a problem most of the time I would have to problem solve myself. I felt as staff they would try to blame their mistakes on us now and then I have never worked for a company where I have felt so unapreciated. Workplace culture was bad but I don't think it matches their values -

Pros

Good pay, teamwork, lovely customers

Cons

Fast paced, poor management team

Really enjoyed working here. They teach you as much as they can, loads of standards and steak knowledge to take in!. wish I could've found a transfer when moved to London.

Pros

Flexible shifts & Good tips

Cons

Paying for staff food

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Miller & Carter. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement