Miller & Carter
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

Miller & Carter Employee Reviews

Amazing company ethos and ethical standards. Fast ticket times and only 2% of complaints. High quality drinks and service is the number 1 for any company to succeed.
Pros
Free lunch
Miller and Carter really do care about their staff.The managers and head office look to assist everyone get the best training and majority of hires are from internal movement or promotion.Sites of course do differ but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them.
Pros
Flexibility, training, progression.
Cons
Antisocial hours.
I loved working at M&C! I was a member of the bar team and I love being kept busy, the shifts flew because you always had something to do never standing around, you’re always learning something new and learning all the cocktails is great, and this never gets boring as they change! All the staff at the time were lovely and everyone got on brilliant!
Pros
Discounts in many places
Cons
None for me
Really enjoyed working there, gave me a lot of waitressing experience.There's a friendly workplace environment, even though it can get stressful at busy times.
Pros
Can earn a lot of tips
Cons
Low pay without tips, no free lunches
You’re always on your feet and it’s never quiet so if you like a slow pace this isn’t the place for you. Earn a lot on tips though so wages are brill
Pros
Tips go directly to you
Cons
Long hours. Stressful
My first ever job and I have been there for just over 2 years. The best team to work with and were a little family! Would recommend! although the pay isn’t the best, You get all your tips when you’re a waitress!
Pros
Tips and 50% food when on shift. also, 33% bill in other miller and carter’s and all mitchell and butlers restaurants!
Cons
From my experience, whilst I was initially very excited to work for a Mitchell and Butler’s company, Miller & Carter was a vast disappointment. The organisation is terrible; stock is always missing or low, deliveries are rarely put away correctly and new stock is opened before the currently opened stock is finished. The work ethic seems lazy and shows a lack of care for appearance and efficiency. That being said, the general staff were very friendly and easy to converse with for the most part.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Poor wage, expensive food, poor management
Not recommended if your a female especially under 18. Keep yourself dressed and only get changed at home and stay to yourself. It’s fun, but keep your eyes open
Pros
Discount
Cons
Perverts
Employed for a new site opening in 2019 - at interview I felt this would be a good job and was told there were guaranteed hours. Oh how I'd been deceived. On the day where I signed the contract the contract turned out to be a 0 hour contract worded very cleverly (x hours but these are not guaranteed). Despite this I decided to give it a try, and if I still didn't want to carry on I could leave at the end of the probationary period. They were also aware of a medical condition which meant I struggled with certain things, such as carrying multiple plates in one hand due to an injury. I had raised this multiple times, yet the managers were still unsympathetic and offered no support at all throughout my time - one manager made me open a wine bottle despite me saying I would cause further damage to my hand. This then caused further damage to my hand which resulted in ending my shift early and having problems for about a month in my studies - this manager just said they didn't care when I originally expressed my concerns, and when I became distressed due to upcoming exams and worries over my future, I was told to grow up (these exams did end up affecting my future plans). Overall, the managers were not at all supportive as they claimed to be originally, and could not care less about struggling team members, only focusing on those who got the most positive reviews. They also leave you hanging with no hours for weeks on end, and as I was about to hand in my resignation, I finally heard from them THE DAY BEFORE THEY HAD TO CLOSE DUE TO COVID - they had had opportunities to speak to - more...
Pros
Discount across all M&B brands
Cons
No regular hours, uncooperative managers, no support from managers
Miller and Carter was a fun, dynamic place to work and I would highly recommend it to others. It depends on what the individual site manager is like, but generally they all seem great. Regularly updated on the current status of our branch, which is nice to know. Incentives for waitresses to upsell. The online training is good, but physical training depends on the specific branch.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Short notice for shifts
Perfect place to work when you are young, good tips. It’s nice to be to have a full time position, but I believe everyone can get full time position within the time
Pros
Good staff discount, good tips
Cons
Short shifts
You would clock into shift, grab a buzzer and handset to take orders. You would then check which section you are serving and greet your customers logging the table on your device. Present your steak speech, give them a menu and take orders. You would then go to the bar bring the customer their drinks. You may have another table at the same time so you will greet and take their orders also. When your buzzers goes off you will then have to collect their food and bring it to them with sauces/ cutlery if needed. You will then go back and check on your other tables and clean and dress your free tables. You will then get rid of finished meals. When asked for the bill you log it on your device and bring over a card machine. If the payment is cash and there is change you have a float (your own money) which you carry to give out change. During your day you may have to assist your co-workers with their tables. At the end of shift you will clean and dress your tables and then be given an end of shift job. You then clock out and give in £5 of your earnings and keep the rest.During my time here I learned after training finishes you are on your own and need to know what you are doing as you don't get much help. You need to memorise table numbers and be very alert. The management team where I worked was awful. If I had a problem most of the time I would have to problem solve myself. I felt as staff they would try to blame their mistakes on us now and then I have never worked for a company where I have felt so unapreciated. Workplace culture was bad but I don't think it matches their values - more...
Pros
Good pay, teamwork, lovely customers
Cons
Fast paced, poor management team
Really enjoyed working here. They teach you as much as they can, loads of standards and steak knowledge to take in!. wish I could've found a transfer when moved to London.
Pros
Flexible shifts & Good tips
Cons
Paying for staff food
As a part time member of staff working on the bar, I mostly worked evenings which were our busiest times of the day. This work was busy enough to keep my occupied but could be stressful. I enjoyed the fast-paced nature of this and can handle the stress. Throughout a shift you'll be making drinks (from beer to cocktails), completing toilet checks, dealing with complaints at the bar, cooperating with tht e reast of front of House regarding seating guests, often running drinks to the restaurant (down to waiter's laziness or business), and completing an extensive close down including restocking the fridges and cleaning up the bar area to a high standard,Being a member of the bar team meant my tips were limited so my ÂŁ6.76 an hour was much lower than that of the waiting staff who are tipped nicely.The people you work with will be a big deciding point on whether you enjoy a job. For me, I loved my bar team so it made my work a lot more bareable.Overall I enjoyed my time at Miller and Carter, and I couldn't recommend it enough for someone looking for thier first job on a bar.
Pros
50% off meals after/during a shift, 33% off meals when eating out (up to 6 people), enjoyable work environment, great for learning about drinks
Cons
Lots of tasks to do during a shift, stressful, long shifts
Lovely place to work, nice customer and staff, gets busy at times but all team work in place , good online training and in house, great discounts on meals when on and off shift .
Pros
Training
Cons
Really enjoyed my time there great people great company to work for looked after there staff food was great quality all the time would recommend working for.
In jobs like these you are grossly over looked and have to much expected of you from a minimum wage age job when your getting greif off of a table of Karens. But the people you work with become family and its impossible to leave them when you love them so much.
Pros
Your colleagues
Cons
Karens moaning about their steak
When i first starting working here i had an interview and then the weekend after i had to come in and see how it would be if i worked there and had to carry at-least 2 plates to prove i can serve food for my job role. very lovely!
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
can be stressful
They do lots of training on the food/drinks, which is only useful to a degree, for the basic salary rate of (ÂŁ6.71) it is quite demanding. But if you are a good waitress you can make a fortune from customer tips. I pretty much doubled my wage from the tips. But it depends on which customers you have that evening and whether they are generous, some nights id earn ÂŁ100 + in tips and some I would literally earn none at all. The people I worked with have become friends for life, but management can be patronizing and sour, especially to new employees. It's very easy to et a job there, but you've got to be strong-willed to deal with the job, therefore many employees leave soon after joining! The hours are also unsociable, leaving little time for personal progression, especially as they were very picky about holiday.
Pros
Generous tips, 33% discount across M&B, meet lovely people
Cons
Long and tiresome hours, no breaks, lots of pressure
Great experience, lots of opportunities for training. It can be very stressful when it’s busy but everyone is helpful. There is a great team atmosphere in the kitchen. I really enjoy working here the management are very supportive.
Pros
Good atmosphere and training
Cons
Stressful at times
Great benefits, the 33% discount is really good. Management can be varied. Hours can be past midnight and you don’t get paid for it. Unless you are 18.
  1. Employee reviews