Ministry of Defence

Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews

United Kingdom80 reviews

rolecareerlifeopportunitycultureworkingenvironmentlot

Be the best

Allround great place to work and learn a lot Great work mates and have made many freinds. The dicipline is great and travel abroad aswell i realy enjoyed working in the army.

Pros

Many

Cons

A friendly place to work with good training.

Good opportunities for personal development and promotion. The workplace was friendly and supportive. Management a little disorganised at times but fundamentally good.

Insights into Ministry of Defence

• Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Energising work tasks

Great working environment

Its a job for life with a culture of progression, training and teamwork.You can get out of it whatever you are prepared to put in.Would recommend it.

Pros

Flexible employer Generous holiday Job culture Good working environment

Cons

Starting pay normally at lower end of pay scale

Plenty of chances for advancement, good. Management support, chances of overseas posting. Great management structure . And educational courses which allow faster advancement

Pros

Security and variety

Cons

Sorry I left

Enjoyable place to work

Great people, interesting varied work and good promotions prospects . Good team atmosphere with good management support. Nice atmosphere to work in. Recommend highly.

Pros

Flexi hours

Cons

Travel time

Northwood HQ

A really nice place to work, working with all types of military personnel. Learn something new everyday. Great community it’s like it’s own little village.

Pros

Food is very cheap whole meal for £2-3 pounds

Have to take the rough with the smooth

Working as a civilian physiotherapist at the Ministry of Defence comes with many benefits. It does however require that one accepts being treated as a second class employee as military physiotherapists have accelerated career paths. Civilians are not given the same opportunities to move in to managerial positions.

Pros

Good support for CPD and course financial support, (used to be excellent but now only good)

Cons

Second class employee and not included within the "brotherhood/sisterhood" of the officer classes.

Varied work and not too demanding

Prepare for the day ahead and for the unexpected. Effective communications and an understanding of what is expected from me.A positive attitude and the ability to think outside of the box.

Pros

Content and productive environment

Cons

Occasional lack of communication

Exciting and life experience at every turn.

A varied and enjoyable career with so many opportunities. The ability to manage your career in the direction of your choice and the opportunity to lead in the harshest of environments.

Pros

Opportunity

Cons

Working away from home.

Inclusive , training great , good working environment. Everyone is friendly , full flexitime , strong management communication. I would stay here and work my way up .

Pros

Flexi time

Fast-Paced, Minimum Rest

Good job for 16-18 year olds if you want to work in the army when you’re older. Big pay, many benefits and it will set you up for life. Good career and you make a good family in the army

Pros

Multiple benefits, big salary

Cons

Long Hours, No rest

Interesting and busy

Great work ethic and helpful senior staff.Chance to meet people and collaborate with other agencies.In hindsight wish I had not left as I think I would have gained EO or with more years service HEO.Felt that I was part of something worthwhile and even ac CA was not belittled by staff who were in higher grades and a lot older than me.Enjoyed all aspects of my time there.Had family in London so paid minimal money for accomadation.London had plenty to offer a 19 year old and was safer back in the 80s.

Pros

Flexi-time

Cons

Cost of living in London

Shocking!! Harrogate!

Have to be honest it's the worst place I've ever worked!It's like working back in the 80's and so pathetic. I soon worked out that you have to lick your bosses ar5e to just maintain your job. This Harrogate site should be closed down as most bosses are local unqualified pretenders with no real life experience. I have also witnessed bullying which is shocking and all because someone not in the special club had a great money saving idea.I decided to leave due to how unprofessional the site was run and so glad I did.Please think twice before wasting your time here like I did!

Pros

Cons

Bullying and victimisation

Sexist

Awful place for women. Full of arrogant men thinking they can throw their weight around most of the women who worked here were abused and disrespected nothing I said was taken seriously even by the RAO and CO terrible

Whatever

Well what can I say middle management apart from the odd exception acted without any degree of understanding of work affairs and tried to exact there own blinded often jealous designs on an already zero moral workforce for whatever reason will probably never be known building there own empires. And yes I can say this after working 23 years for them.

Pros

Some archaic structure that still upheld a level of fairness

Cons

See above

Productive and opportunities for promotion

Excellent place to work if you value work life balance, care for mental health and equality. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to work in the defence sector.

MOD is a good employer

The MOD functions in a very professional manner. The technology is extremely interesting. There is job stability and well trained colleagues with which to work. Highly recommended employer. The work involved a mixture of IP activities including patents, registered designs, trade marks, proprietary secrets, contract law, DEFCONs, to mention just a few varied activities.

Pros

Highly professional.

Cons

Starts of postive then the true colour show

Institutional racism still lives within Lowest Bame Workforce in central government.They talk and push Inclusion and diversity while not having a clue about it.No Progress within the department

Pros

Work Hours

Cons

Institutional racism

Secure pay and benefits, fast pace of life

The MOD have hundreds of roles with many career paths. Keeping your nose clean and making positive contributions will ensure you hit the right notes with annual appraisals. Avoiding negative attitudes that may impact on the values and standards will also not only help you to promote, but shape you into a very well rounded serviceman or woman.

Pros

Money, travel, licences, education

Cons

You give up a lot of freedoms and your family are usually put in 2nd place

Good employer

Great employer with a great work life balance good team morale with lots of personal development in your personal and professional development. Supportive

Pros

Good employer

Cons

The MOD can be quite a formal place to work and if one can not accept this it is not the best career path.

A formal atmosphere with extremely varied job opportunities and a good salary and pension package. Team work is highly valued and loyalty and dependability prized. There are opportunities all over the country and also abroad and opportunities to progress. Treatment is usually fair and one finds oneself working with a great variety of individuals from all backgrounds. Communication skills, written and oral, are very important and a good educational background is necessary for most roles.

Pros

Good Salary and Pension

Cons

Work comes first ethos

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Defence. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement