Ministry of Defence

Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews

Prepare for the day ahead and for the unexpected. Effective communications and an understanding of what is expected from me.A positive attitude and the ability to think outside of the box.
Pros
Content and productive environment
Cons
Occasional lack of communication
Working as a civilian physiotherapist at the Ministry of Defence comes with many benefits. It does however require that one accepts being treated as a second class employee as military physiotherapists have accelerated career paths. Civilians are not given the same opportunities to move in to managerial positions.
Pros
Good support for CPD and course financial support, (used to be excellent but now only good)
Cons
Second class employee and not included within the "brotherhood/sisterhood" of the officer classes.
A varied and enjoyable career with so many opportunities. The ability to manage your career in the direction of your choice and the opportunity to lead in the harshest of environments.
Pros
Opportunity
Cons
Working away from home.
Inclusive , training great , good working environment. Everyone is friendly , full flexitime , strong management communication. I would stay here and work my way up .
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Good job for 16-18 year olds if you want to work in the army when you’re older. Big pay, many benefits and it will set you up for life. Good career and you make a good family in the army
Pros
Multiple benefits, big salary
Cons
Long Hours, No rest
Great work ethic and helpful senior staff.Chance to meet people and collaborate with other agencies.In hindsight wish I had not left as I think I would have gained EO or with more years service HEO.Felt that I was part of something worthwhile and even ac CA was not belittled by staff who were in higher grades and a lot older than me.Enjoyed all aspects of my time there.Had family in London so paid minimal money for accomadation.London had plenty to offer a 19 year old and was safer back in the 80s.
Pros
Flexi-time
Cons
Cost of living in London
Have to be honest it's the worst place I've ever worked!It's like working back in the 80's and so pathetic. I soon worked out that you have to lick your bosses ar5e to just maintain your job. This Harrogate site should be closed down as most bosses are local unqualified pretenders with no real life experience. I have also witnessed bullying which is shocking and all because someone not in the special club had a great money saving idea.I decided to leave due to how unprofessional the site was run and so glad I did.Please think twice before wasting your time here like I did!
Pros
Cons
Bullying and victimisation
Awful place for women. Full of arrogant men thinking they can throw their weight around most of the women who worked here were abused and disrespected nothing I said was taken seriously even by the RAO and CO terrible
Cons
Well what can I say middle management apart from the odd exception acted without any degree of understanding of work affairs and tried to exact there own blinded often jealous designs on an already zero moral workforce for whatever reason will probably never be known building there own empires. And yes I can say this after working 23 years for them.
Pros
Some archaic structure that still upheld a level of fairness
Cons
See above
Excellent place to work if you value work life balance, care for mental health and equality. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to work in the defence sector.
The MOD functions in a very professional manner. The technology is extremely interesting. There is job stability and well trained colleagues with which to work. Highly recommended employer. The work involved a mixture of IP activities including patents, registered designs, trade marks, proprietary secrets, contract law, DEFCONs, to mention just a few varied activities.
Pros
Highly professional.
Cons
Institutional racism still lives within Lowest Bame Workforce in central government.They talk and push Inclusion and diversity while not having a clue about it.No Progress within the department
Pros
Work Hours
Cons
Institutional racism
The MOD have hundreds of roles with many career paths. Keeping your nose clean and making positive contributions will ensure you hit the right notes with annual appraisals. Avoiding negative attitudes that may impact on the values and standards will also not only help you to promote, but shape you into a very well rounded serviceman or woman.
Pros
Money, travel, licences, education
Cons
You give up a lot of freedoms and your family are usually put in 2nd place
Great employer with a great work life balance good team morale with lots of personal development in your personal and professional development. Supportive
Pros
Good employer
Cons
A formal atmosphere with extremely varied job opportunities and a good salary and pension package. Team work is highly valued and loyalty and dependability prized. There are opportunities all over the country and also abroad and opportunities to progress. Treatment is usually fair and one finds oneself working with a great variety of individuals from all backgrounds. Communication skills, written and oral, are very important and a good educational background is necessary for most roles.
Pros
Good Salary and Pension
Cons
Work comes first ethos
Not bad place to work........ Lots of varied work, nice menu at canteens, good Christmas party in barracks... Loads of activities after work 😁👌 lots of bars, cheap booze in NAAFI.
Great place to work but pay not equivalent to public sector great team work and good holidays management tend to take praise for department work but reasonably secure job
Very relaxed atmosphere...pay not fantastic but ok Work/life balance very good...early/late starts...early/late finishes, ideal for childcare = Flexible Working hours/term time working
Lot of opportunities and guidance to cope with an ever changing defence commitment to Uk stability and enduring manning of the Uk frame work operations
Excellent stable career with a guarantee to progress and promote if the required work/effort is put in. Excellent pay and benefits which come with working for the Armed Forces.
Relaxed work environment, social and sports activities are common as in most work environments advancement was pretty good if you wanted the opportunity, also you could apply for vacancies abroad.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Some management