Ministry of Justice UK
Happiness score is 35 out of 100

Ministry of Justice UK Employee Reviews

United Kingdom462 reviews

Great learning curve

Good employer to work for and the people are great. Adapting and open to flexi hybrid working. Only left due to being an agency worker with no sign or staff being made permanent.

Poor environment.

I never actually spoke to anyone from Ministry of Justice.They never took the time to contact their staff to find out what the issues were and why people are leaving.

Insights into Ministry of Justice UK

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness

Don’t even bother

ITS EVIL PLACE TO WORK !! NO SUPPORT NO TRAINING THEY EXPECT YOU TO KNOW EVERYTHING! If you want extra stress and depression go head but save yourself the stress !!!!!!!!! Go for job that doesn’t make you cry at home.

Stressful for low pay

The job was very stressful and demanding, however the pay did not reflect this.Poor management - could often be very rude, patronising and contradictory.

Management poor

If I could easily change my job I would.There appears to be no process that works efficiently.Management aren't interested in tried and tested ways of working unless they have put these forward themselves.The staff turnover is constant.

Pros

Over-time is usually available

Cons

Constantly being watched/monitored by line-managers, All breaks and lunches are timed and decided by team-leaders

Bit of fun

I thought working at moj was really fun and enjoyable. I think i would definitely apply again but unfortunately they do not always offer permanent contracts.

Temporary staff or staff recruited on contract basis treated poorly and poorly managed.

During course of my temporary contract employment I was made welcome from day one i.e induction process not managed and my job role changed day to day from marshalling to administrative work. My venue of employment changed from day 2 and I was left paying transport costs with no reimbursement advised by management. Also employed at other court centres where I was left to endure working wearing a coat due to freezing cold for a number of weeks! No regard by management to concerns,in fact due to virus prevention measures appears one could easily end up with very bad cold or pneumonia rather than from virus itself. Very double faced organisation and bureaucratic when it pleases management ,very business orientated with little regard to staff. The list goes on.

Pros

Some great people to work with and job security.

Cons

Double standards and poor senior management., Poor pay for established staff, and ever changing job role which changes to meet business needs., No one to deal with staffs welfare or health concerns and welfare, no duty of care for staff.

Good work life balance

Great place to work if you want easy work from home role. it is a deadens job, Looks great on Cv but way is shocking compare to other government departments.you only get London salary if you leave in central London lollike we get discount on house and bill in north or south area of London. Outer London salary is shocking

Pros

flex working good management supportive

Cons

poor wages

Awful. Dont even think about it

An awful place to work. Awful management, so much stress, the biggest possible caseload, no real time to make a difference. you will regret it as soon as you start.

Good staff, not much else

Overworked, bad hours, low pay. Staff make the days go by but overall it's not worthwhile. it's good the experience a different world but the only thing that makes me want to stay is the pension.

Pros

Different experience

Cons

Long hours, stressful, low pay, short staffed

Low pay

Hour are all over the place and the pay is very low . I like job but for what we do in red and hour pay it not good . I could stack shelf in supermarket for more and less stress

Pros

No we pay for staff mess

Cons

Very long hours follow by early start

Completely different to what I expected. Judges are normal people!

The interview process was, understandably rigorous due to the nature of the role. Being a member of the MoJ is unlike any role I have held before. Support services are excellent, providing prompt responses to any queries throughout the process through to appointment.

Pros

Good work/life balance Meaningful attempt to address recognised inequalities in some staff groups

Cons

Disparity between legal and non-legal salary levels

Good people but frustrating environment

Good people trying to do a good job in difficult circumstances where so much capability has been outsourced.Processes are byzantine and broken making it very, very difficult to get things done.

Pros

Good people, caring environment, good family policy, job security, decent training if you after it.

Cons

Money isn't great, management top-heavy, broken processes with very few people given any real authority.

Avoid

If you want a job where you are spoken to worse than the people you are looking after then this Is for you, if you want a job where you are spoken to like an adult by members of management then this definitely not for you!

challenging

busy and challenging, management depends on your manager, mine are all nice and supportive. culture: encourage new ideas and inclusive. the hardest part of the job: need to communicate with multi parties, work fast while maintaining accuracy. the most enjoyable part of the job: Flexi and not customer-facing

Pros

flexi time

Good place

Relaxed environment, poor salary. Good place to get experience, managers are supportive. Quite old school, can be repetitive, no perks just basic salary which is not in line with market rates

Poor Management

Used to be an ok job but years of Government cuts have left the service as a very dangerous place to work. The management are awful and put staff at risk. No longer a career.

Cons

Poor Management, dangerous.

MOJ still a good career to choose, but NOT the privatised prisons

Ministry of Justice Prison Officer is still a secure long term career for anyone to choose. Avoid private prisons as their standards are a lot lower when it comes to spending money or supporting staff.

Not safe

Long hours, inexperienced staff, older staff not wanting to support new staff - there is a clear divide. Ratio of staff to prisoners was unacceptable. Risky, dirty and volatile environment. Not a pleasant place to work

Pros

Salary and pension and paid sickness and holidays

Cons

Dangerous job, lack of support

Totally toxic working environment

Totally disgusting job. Previously I'd worked as an OSG for 5 years and loved the role. 3 months training was fun but the job is horrendous. On the job training is non existant, management are incompetent, some staff are corrupt and the job is frankly dangerous. Completely toxic working environment and encountered some of the nastiest people in my life... That's the staff. Avoid this 'job' at all cost for sake your soul.

Pros

Free uniform

Cons

Everything the job entails

Feel like prisoner yourself. But please try it out.

The training for this role was amazing 4 years back (I think they made this process express now), great teachers, very hands on, well structured. The job on the other hand is traumatising... You are in with the prisoners the whole shift, being watched and analyzed. Environment can get ugly in seconds, assaults on staff/other prisoners are normal, as is mentally unstable inmate self harming. Stress is never ending while you are there. Pay should be £60k/year minimum.On my last day at this job a prisoner was shouting for PO, I attended his cell and he just wanted me to look while he sliced his stomach open with a self made knife, blood gushing out.... that was the final straw.I'm out of the job now with new appreciation for prison officers and how dangerious, difficult and vital their role is. This experience gave me another perspective on other jobs outside prison service industry and how valuable for example the ability to just use your phone at work is.I hope people try this role out, there are staff that do enjoy the thrill that prison officer job gives. Good luck!

Pros

A different perspective.

Cons

Bad hours, bad working environment, stresssss.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Justice UK. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement