Ministry of Justice UK

Ministry of Justice UK Employee Reviews

The Ministry of Justice is target driven, is not very sympathetic towards members personal circumstances. It provides a adequate pension scheme. Annual leave and Public and Privilege days are generous, and leave is added on time served.
Pros
Leave Allocations, Pension
Cons
Management not very understanding on personal circumstances
Due to COVID 19 working for HMCTS MOJ has become unbearable , senior management put immense pressure on middle management. Your pressurised into micromanaging. You are treated like a number. The service is run on favouritism.
Excellent recruitment campaign that took over a year from application to job offer. Thrown in at the deep end with zero training. Stressful environment won’t suit everyone. Lengthy probationary period and any mistakes will go against you and will be put on your record . Salary doesn’t match the responsibility
Pros
Pension
Cons
Shift pattern, management
Can be very demanding but this is reflected in the salary you receive. From young to old the MOJ is very supportive to new recruits. Detailed instruction and training from induction and throughout your employment.
Pros
Great pay and conditions
Cons
Very demanding work especially if working with offenders
Only plus side is your colleagues , shortage of staff made the job dangerous. Rewarding at times but always challenging. The wage is simply insufficient for the job
Pros
No 2 minutes the same
Cons
Violence
DO NOT give up your job to work at wealstun prison I worked there 2 years and i had thoughts of taking my own life due to the amount of stress that was put apon me from managementI did transfer to a lady estate Newhall as I wanted to compare the jails as I loved being a officer And it was the best thing I ever did I enjoy my job and have the support I need the jail is run how it should be
Pros
Can work up the ladder and earn more
Cons
The shift pattern low wage
Very stressful. Pay isn’t good enough. Am sure this job gave me PTSD. Staff are great but there is a lot of lazy staff who make your life hard. Management is the worst I have seen. Find another career path!
Pros
Free gym, good staff.
Cons
Prisoners, management.
I worked at HMP Peterborough as a prison officer.After passing the 10 week training course I was excited about starting and having a long career , but it was short lived as I soon realised that the management had little interest in what was going on.The inmates I found too be more respectful than other members of staff especially the young officers who were on a power trip.They had no empathy with inmates and treated them with contentment, this made our job much harder . Management were only interested in their own progression and left us to carry on regardless. I would not recommend anyone taking up a job at HMP Peterborough unless your a yes person as this is the only way you'll get on .
Pros
Cons
Bad organisational, lack of support
I have years of experience working in the criminal justice service and thought I’d change and work as a Prison Officer.Once there, I noticed a culture that is nether conducive to the prisoner or prison officer. Lack of safety, and lack of respect demonstrated by senior management . I would never recommend working for them if you wish to progress or, if your unfortunate enough to challenge behaviours demonstrated by certain “individuals”, don’t expect to be treated fairly or subjectively (can’t say much here). Your life will be dominated and the hours long plus poor pay and expect to retire after ur too old to function!You’ve been warned.
Pros
Cons
Many
Was once a career to be proud of but now,a very dangerous and corrupt place to be when we are supposed to be sticking together. You can get badly assaulted and get sacked for doing your job.you only move up the ladder if your face fits or your a yes yes person. The job itself can be rewarding as you can potentially change people's lives However it can also bing out the worst in you. Constantly under staffed and poorly managed.
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
Long hours, bad bullying culture
Fantastic people to work with friends for life can be a very stressful place but your co-workers will keep you going.. Management is very poor so as long as you don't need them you will be fine
Disaster in any shape of form, starting with the work environment, safety, colleagues, and management. Worst experience of my life, won't advice any of my friends or enemies to have a go for it.
After working for MOJ/HMCTS for over 15 years I can honestly say the best thing about it was leaving. The leaders have no interest or compassion for the victims of crime or Public in general, they only care about targets and figures. The Organisation has continually wasted Billions of pounds on IT systems, Protocols and Schemes that simply have not worked yet the workforce have not had a pay rise in nearly 10 years. Managers have no interest in developing their staff, they are purely there for their own gain. Please consider working for a Organisation that values your hard work and don't just treat you as a number. MOJ/HMCTS will pick you up and spit you out. There is absolutely nothing good about working for the MOJ/HMCTS. There are inappropriate relationships between senior Leaders in the area of Derbyshire - it appears that you have to have a relationship with the Cluster Manager to gain promotion. Even after serious complaints are made nothing is done the same with grievances. Complaints about bullying and Harrassment, Discrimination and general complaints are dealt with half heartedly. I am so happy to be working somewhere where I am valued and not treated with constant criticism. MOJ/HMCT consistently organisationally bully their staff. Think twice before applying, TRUST ME!
Pros
Fellow Co-workers - SOME are amazing
Cons
Terrible pay, no prospects, pensions being reduced
I worked in criminal justice for 25 years and spent 15 of that as a probation officer. The culture was oppressive and management were truly awful. Unmanageable caseloads, sky high expectations and huge levels of responsibility. If things went well management took the credit but when things went bad (as they inevitably do in this line of work), you’re on your own and actively persecuted by management
Pros
Some brilliant colleagues and once in a while you do get the chance to make a difference
Cons
Management are really awful, excessive caseloads, lack of employee care (other than lip service), Bureaucracy, static pay, oppressive culture
Management leave a lot to be desired and display strong bias.The majority of managers have no relevant experience in management roles and lack the ability to innovate and create.
Pros
Annual Holiday
Cons
Salary
Initially, the organisation offered excellent on the job training. However, this was recently stopped and replaced with nothing. I was receiving brilliant reviews from my line managers until I had a baby. Then my job was deleted and I was offered demotion or redundancy. In the meantime they were actively recruiting elsewhere. Forced to work long hours and weekends (often without overtime). Reluctance to participate in this "voluntary" overtime resulted in disciplinary action and threats of dismissal.
Pros
Job mobility
Cons
Long hours, not family friendly, poor pay, poor training, female dominated HR
OMG dont even bother the management and governors are shocking they don't know their staff neither do they help you all you are is a number to them they expect you to bend over backwards to help them out when needed but when you need something its a no most of the time training is non existent and its expected of your colleagues to train you you get thrown in at the deep end and get moaned at when it's not the right way well maybe if management got off their backsides things would improve the shifts are very long at times and sometimes you work many days before getting a rest day i am sure they think we don't have a life at home night shifts are worked every 6 weeks 7 on 7 off the pay is terrible for what we have to put up with its all about if your face fits in this job and mine dont haha the prisoners get better treatment than the staff all because the senior staff want a easy life keep well away
Pros
Holiday, home time, rest week
Cons
the list is far to long
From the start very poor training nobody wants to help you management only talk to you to bollock you but training is rubbish, the 2 weeks course at newbold is to cover there backs, mostly all paperwork, there is no training on nights one shadow shift that's it, left to it your self on hbs 200 prisoner it's descusting training if anything goes wrong it's osg that gets it never the officer coss they've all gone to sleep and don't Come back till last hour of shift,
Pros
Cons
Management don't care
What a shower of sh**t. You won’t be trained correctly, the health and safety is appalling. Corrupt management who fail miserably to adhere to their own policies and procedures. Took them to an employment tribunal where I was successful in a claim for breaching the equality act of harassment. They Discriminated against somebody with PTSD. They lied under oath too. You’ll read about it all in a book where they will be exposed.
Pros
Good camaraderie amongst a handful of work colleagues.
Cons
Management. Yes they are cons in suits.
AVOID. Terrible organisation to work for. Total ineptitude from management. The bullying of staff is rife. Staff are treated like scum. The longest hours at work are loaded on a weekend. Used to be a job for life, but now staff don't last very long due to the appalling working conditions.
Pros
Days off
Cons
Most things
Excellent company to work for, been working for as a sessional. Provides me with great experience in day to day life. Colleagues have always been supportive also.
Pros
Salary