Mitchells & Butlers

Mitchells & Butlers Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,073 reviews

Found 1,073 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,096 reviews

Fun

Always keeps you busy and never a dull shift but there's no work life balance. Learn lots of life skills and lots of opportunities for progression as long as you have the right mindset.

treated like nothing.

it doesn’t matter how much blood sweat and tears you put into this company, you are just a name and number. management is absolutely horrific and the area managers are worse. treated like you are worthless. expected to give every minute of your day to this company and they expect you to never expect a thanks back.

Insights into Mitchells & Butlers

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager

avoid

Would do open to close shifts where they wouldnt tell you your shifts till a couple days prior so couldnt plan anything in advance. Management was poor but colleges were good

Not too bad

Far too stressful considering it’s a pub job which is meant to be fun, one advantage is employee discount that you can use in all Mitchel and Butler brands.

No respect while i worked there or after

Awful managers were rude and horrible to me, to the point that i went home and cried several times. I was hired as part time staff on an 8 hour contract as I was also at uni. I ended up working 25-35 hours a week, and when I asked for less hours, I was ignored.I had zero training, and was thrown into a very busy bar environment immediately.After leaving the company, they have sent the wrong tax calculation to HMRC, and they have not taken any action to fix this in two months.To summarise, they were an awful company to work for, and even now, after I've left, they still manage to make my life worse.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, no respect, underpaid, overworked, etc.

M&B fair process

Interviewing for a number of different roles. The process was thorough and consistent. Different peoples personalities come through and good to know who you want to work for, within what comes across as a really good benefit package

Pros

33% discount on all businesses, pension, life assurance

Cons

open weekends

i did enjoy my work at the company

my typical day at work was to make sure the service was ready oh time to serve customers i learned some news dishthe hardest part of my job was to learn to fast at work but sometime difficult because of my health i enjoy to work wit very friendly staffs

Badpay

Absolutely exploitative pay. 9.68 in central london. service charge shared with kitchen. managment incredibly hostile at times, makes life very bad. would not recommend. training a joke

Very long hours and hard shifts

Constantly understaffed, I run around like a madman. Way too many managers, not enough floor staff. Food on shift is quite good, but don't always get actual break.

Fun place

Fun work place but head offices are not the best in terms of management. In house management fantastic however. Staff discount very generous, however weekends will often be worked.

Beginners job into hospitality

Fairly easy job once you get your head around it, a good job to do if you want to get into hospitality. However it's long hours and a poor work life balance, but that's a standard in this industry.

Chance to develop your skills

Every job in the Hospitality could be very stressful, M&B will give you the chance to improve your self and get more confidence on your role, plus you have the chance to meet lot of ppl and make friends.

Waitress

If you have a great boss it can be a great working environment. If you have a bad boss it’s the reason I left You do get free food sometimes. And free shares if you work there long enough. But I felt my manager never gave me the support that I needed to progress

Would recommend, lots of progression if you want it

Supportive management even to senior level,if you want to you can progress as far as you likeworking apprenticeships availableCan be long hours but as is many kitchen roles Great team to work with

Fast paced environment

I have learned a lot the time I was there, helpful kitchen team members, I enjoyed working there and strongly recommend . If I can find a way to get a job to work for them, I would definitely go for it

Fast paced, poor pay.

If your goal is to live comfortably during a cost of living crisis then don't take a job that doesn't advertise how much they will pay. Minimum wage is a tool used to pay people peanuts and does not reflect fair pay.

Very productive and fun place to work with nice peoples.

I am working with Mitchells and Butlers from december 2020. Untill now i am really enjoying my work. Very good place to work. Nice staff, nice team, good management and head chef;he is really supportive.

Hard work in hospitality

Your experience will change greatly depending on which brand and level you are in M&B. It’s all about being lucky with the people you work with and direct managers. Otherwise you’re just another number.

Good for a while then goes downhill

Ideal job for students or part timers however if you have a family then you will struggle to make time for them. The company itself isn’t great, the pay doesn’t fit the job itself, very stressful with lack of staff

Good for advancement to GM

The training systems are very structured. If you do the work you will progress, however this stops at GM level. It is a great place to learn within a very structured environment with lots of support networks available. The hourly pay is being outstripped by the cost of living crisis, but this could be said for a large part of the industry.Once you get to GM level the pressure is on to deliver. The targets are very “one size fits all” despite every business being different and it’s clear where the company is failing its people.So take every learning opportunity available, get a few years of GM on your resume, and then go find a company you’re passionate to work for.

Terrible

No support what so every and absolutely appalling pay, was getting only £6.56 an hour when others my age where’re getting upwards of £10.Left to do everything when it’s extremely busy and was left to close on my own after working there only 2 weeks and was constantly having to fill in for waitresses and help in the kitchen despite being and employed as a bartender. Not allowed to take holiday as was doing 40 hours a week even tho I was only ment to do 12-15 hours a week and most nights I would get out at 12/1 am.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mitchells & Butlers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Mitchells & Butlers with

• Mitchells & Butlers
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?