Mitchells & Butlers
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Mitchells & Butlers Employee Reviews

I love the fact that I have the opportunity to work for Mitchell and Butler as a Chef. The company is is very supportive to their employers support them with a bright future opportunities to everyone and equally.
Area managers and other "supporting" roles such as auditor etc are never available to help, you are expected to work above and beyond your contract all the time, pay is bad and work life balance doesn't exist
Pros
Cons
Most
Just don’t even bother with this dreadfully horrid company. Even when they know that you are being set up by other staff members they still treat you like a criminal
Pros
Cons
No work life balance
I was skint had no money so couldn't afford to feed myself I asked for a sub that you as declined by management I asked for a tab also was declined by management they knew what position I was in and out right refused to help me I had to resort to eating scraps at the end of the night
Pros
Cons
Rubbish management, no job security, head chef left on every cleaning shift and never pulled his weight
Poor company to work for, expect extra work for no extra pay. Bosses don’t help with developing you as a person. Work all holidays and Christmas with no extra pay, don’t pay out bonuses
Pros
Not many
Cons
Long hours, no incentives, Christmas Day expected to work
One of the best places I've worked. Tight ship but staff were like a family, loved every moment! Only downside is rude customers. Perfect job for students as well, non-stop laughter and amazing memories made.
Pros
Staff culture
Cons
Rude customers
I learnt the English language here in England with my first job. I had a great manager who help me to develop myself, make me more confident in the work place. Thank you very much!
Pros
50% food staff
Cons
Late finishing
I love my job. Its the best place I've ever worked. The manager is so helpful and supportive. The people I work with are amazing and are a great team.
Pros
Great discounts and benefits
Cons
Busy
Worked at the crown and anchor on Drummond street. Nothing bad to say about the company!! I was given the best support and training by my management team!!
Pros
Management, Staff, chance to learn more
Cons
I had to leave
Was not sure what kind of career i wanted, started working in a PCP and i was not disappointed. So much opportunity to get on, plenty of training and support.
Pros
Great training and development opportunities
Cons
Not the best money, only a little above minimum but the place itself is lovely. Teams are usually lovely, menus offer nice foods for on shift et. Training is thorough which is nice but not paid for as it’s all online
Pros
1/3 of entire bill on external meals. 50% off food on shift
Cons
low-ish pay. Occasionally long/hectic shifts
Salaried pay at a minimum of 48 hours usually towards 60 hours a week for nothing extra. Constantly increasing targets making it impossible to achieve and very demotivating.
Worked at The Young Vanish for a while and was glad to get out of there as soon as I could. Both kitchen and Assistant manager were totally incompetent, both were too busy being friends with their favourite members of staff. It's a very clicky environment to work in. If your face doesn't fit then you're left to do everything. Favoured members of staff were allowed to pretty much do as they please, so you were left to pick up the slack. Most members of staff were either friends or related and everyone loved to slag eachother off and gossip. The building gets in that much of a mess that you work through breaks to catch up. Avoid!!!
Pros
Cons
The staff
Great teammates and colleagues and the management were great. However, you are simply a number. The company don’t card about you or your opinions. I wouldn’t got back but I would consider working for the same mgt team.
Pros
Flexible and accommodating team. Lovely working environment
Cons
Terrible work life balance. Long shifts. Just a number
Mitchell’s and butlers is a great place to work, they have different brands you can work for. They offer great rates of pay and plenty of opportunities to move up to management if you wish/ are capable. They also give you a 33% discount code to use at the other Mitchell’s and butler sites every day but Christmas Day.
Pros
33% staff discount
Cons
Unsociable hours
I have now worked for M&b for 5 years Progressing from waitress up to assistant manager Great support from management above , Would highly recommend if wanting to progress in the hospitality industry
Pros
Great discounts and flexibility with hours
Cons
Long hours, busy bank holidays
I have worked for Mitchell and butlers for almost three years. I have made no advancements in my career after showing an interest in the apprenticeships. It is good for a part time job but staying there for a long period of time will drive you insane. Personally my manager has treated me with nothing but respect but i feel that the company could appreciate their staff more. The job has given me a great amount of confidence. however, i will not be returning to work for them soon.
Pros
keep tips
Cons
underappreciated
I started working here as a chef but tried cooking in the open kitchen bit and got closetiphobic as it was a small cook line and about 8 smelly sweaty chefs in there,
Pros
Cons
Long hours about 2am finish
Not supportive with mental illness , don’t care how many hours you work. They just care about profit. Doesn’t stick to social distancing rules or any Covid rules
Enjoy working there the time I did, towards the end of it there were some issues with other employees working standards I did not agree with (lazy, attitude)
Cons
Pay for lunch, Small wages
Terrible hours for assistant managers and business managers are never in yet record hours as if in. No life as bad hours of work no support from company ever.
Pros
Cons
No life, stress, long hours management never in