Mitchells & Butlers

• Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job

Good for advancement to GM

The training systems are very structured. If you do the work you will progress, however this stops at GM level. It is a great place to learn within a very structured environment with lots of support networks available. The hourly pay is being outstripped by the cost of living crisis, but this could be said for a large part of the industry.Once you get to GM level the pressure is on to deliver. The targets are very “one size fits all” despite every business being different and it’s clear where the company is failing its people.So take every learning opportunity available, get a few years of GM on your resume, and then go find a company you’re passionate to work for.

Terrible

No support what so every and absolutely appalling pay, was getting only £6.56 an hour when others my age where’re getting upwards of £10.Left to do everything when it’s extremely busy and was left to close on my own after working there only 2 weeks and was constantly having to fill in for waitresses and help in the kitchen despite being and employed as a bartender. Not allowed to take holiday as was doing 40 hours a week even tho I was only ment to do 12-15 hours a week and most nights I would get out at 12/1 am.

Ok for students

I was able to fit my schedule round my uni life. It was ok. Pay was really bad thought I would be working pretty much full time and taking home next to nothing.

Not the best of places to work for long term.

Good collaboration with co-workers, having fun and support. Big menu and a lot of stuff to keep on top off, but can do with enough organisational skills. Very busy most of the time and you were understaffed, unless the head chef was working in the kitchen. Head chef was a strong chef but with poor people managing skills.Assistant managers in front of the house thought they owned the place and were arrogant. They did not support us at all and they were so competitive like they were working at a different restaurant. They were also slamming the kitchen with orders and then would not take the food because they were panicking most of the time. No flow and the standards were horrible because they would pack the orders all together regardless of how many guests there were or big tables.Salary wise don't expect to get payed anything decent both for hourly and salary.My 2 cents is, good company if you want to enter the hospitality industry, get a feel of how it is to work in a kitchen and if you like it you can do an NVQ. No prospects otherwise, unless you are good buddies with management.

Awful place to work

Avoid at all costs. Management are inept and rude, everyone is underpaid and overworked. The most stressful environment I have ever been in. If you value your life do not work for this company

Miller and Carter bristol city centre

Good place to work. Fast paced and fun, a good team however can be toxic. Tips are good if you are good at your job. However you have to pay for food on shift which I have never had to do at a job before.

Pros

fun and fast paced work

Cons

Have to pay for food

Great place to work.Fast pacedWeekend work and eveningsUniform provided Good management Good trainingEat at workGood staff and team workSad to leave

Benefits

Understaffed , stressful, low pay

Pay is incredibly low, bad work to life balance and are also called in extremely often to cover shifts . Underpayed and overworked. . Pros are free food and the people can be nice.

Low pay for Max stress and not good work Life balance.

Alot more cons than pros.Pay isn't very good for what's expected and although management can be reasonable and are okay and colleagues are also very friendly. The higher up part of the company really don't care about there employees and more about there profit margins. Very unsociable and poor work life balance.

Over worked and underpaid

Managers change schedule without telling you working long hours for not a lot of money, no work life balance makes you mentall unwell and the managers do not care

misleading advertising

The company promises but does not fulfill. There is no career development, no increase in the small payment in the kitchen. You can work and for five years you will not rise in your career and you will not receive more money from the beginning of your start

Pros

many hours because there are no cooks

Cons

small money

Assistant Manager

Worked for the company for six years and recieved many promotions. Pay is good but hours can be very long. Good company to work for in the hospitality sector.

fast paced, awful pay

Working for this company made me great lifelong friends, but the pay to work ratio is way off. Its great if you don’t have a life outside of work and don’t mind being paid very little for the amount of stress you’re put under. The rota never varies and always has last minute changes.

Horrible

I am currently working for a brand in the Mitchell’s and Butlers chain and all i can say is that it’s absolutely terrible. It’s clear that neither the brand or the chain itself cares even a small bit for their employees and will carry on treating them terribly.To mention one of its many flaws, it would be the unfair pay. I am currently under 18 and get payed under £6 on an hourly basis. It’s terrible for the amount of work you do and in the end it amounts to barely nothing. Another would be the long hours. I’m a student and i’m finding it difficult to maintain a school and work basis. Numerous times have i asked for my shifts to be changed so i have time to revise for my upcoming exams with either no response or an unhelpful one at that. Not to mention that i normally have to wait over a month for my holidays to be accepted. Not to mention the way that management treat those lower than them. Most staff are lovely but others are overall mean, cliquey and have no regard for anyone but themselves.This Company once again has so respect or value for its employees so i would personally not advise you to work for them.

Stressfull

Great team but the work is stressfull doing 14 hour shift can be too much. The pay is not worth it for how stressful it is. Overworked and underpaid it the best way to put it.

Pros

Great team

Fun but hard work

Fun but very anti-sociable hours, if you’re budgets are achievable then you’re happy. But if they’re not it’s another story. Senior management are good I have to say, pay is good.

My work family and home away from home

It's a good company to work for but working in a pub/restaurant can be stressful during busy times so if you are looking for an easy job then this might not be for you.

Hard graft but room to grow.

The hours are long sometimes, unsocial working hours, but you always work with a great team!They always want people to progress so earning potential is higher than the average company.

Pros

Easy Travel

Cons

Long Hours

Seems like a nice place at first but then reality strikes

I've been in the company for a long time and at a venue of theirs which is very busy and central.Because it is such a big company, you can't really see all of the layers of management, team work and how things are handled until you've been there enough time.- Pros: You can get flexible hours if you're a student or have another job.You can progress quickly (but only for a £1 more)- Cons: You'll feel exploited.They pay minimum wage always, and get very very protective when staff members demand a raise.The pay difference between bar member and a team coach is 10 pence, and supervisors get £1 more. The work is at least double if not triple.Many times you'll be understaffed (because no one wants to work for minimum wage).The work is heavy and the support you get is a 'thank you' message after a busy period.You don't get free food or even a free drink.They will promise you service charge and tips but only a few chosen people will work in the areas with service charge, and even then, it's split between the team and you get like £30 from that in the end.Lots of the times I've noticed how some members and managers like to gossip around behind people's backs and that's just unprofessional.You don't get sick pay (we had it for a while during the pandeminc but that was it).

Horrendous hours

Worked at the Ember Inn branch of M&B but was shocked at the shift patterns they use for salaried managers. 48 hours a week split into all day shifts such as a 9am start right through til closing and then back the day after to do it again. Absolutely zero work life balance as a result. Given that most of the company’s sites are only open for 12 hours a day, expecting managers to work 48 hours a week is ridiculous. Should be revised to something like 35Good salary but no free time to spend the money you earn

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Awful shift patterns

Great company to work for

Great company to work for, I have worked for them for 13 years at 3 different venues. Pay is good so are the bonuses if you push your business to its full potential. Area managers and ops directors are supportive and approachable. Work life balance is encouraged, but not always possible due to the nature of your job.

Pros

50% off food while working, 33% off full bill when out dining, bonus, good pay

Cons

Can be long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mitchells & Butlers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement