Mothercare

Mothercare Employee Reviews

Great team ... struggled to keep management due to expectations of long hours and poor pay.Customer service was paramount and staff were trained to a professional high standard to ensure customers received the best service. Car seat fitting service and bra measurements were available on a daily basis. Support from hierarchy was poor most of the time was down to management taking control and rectifying any issues.
Pros
Great team exceptional knowledge and service
Cons
Long hours/ poor pay
My experience with mothercare was both stressful and disappointing in terms of head office support and policy.The pressure is applied from above to perform as a store with limited value placed with any employee.Whilst on Mat leave I struggled to get holiday pay and now once leaving I find my pension contributions have Been taken Back by the company- this is indicative of mothercare - publically putting mother’s first however in practice it’s a very different story. Avoid .
Pros
Decent pay, some good team members
Cons
Some difficult team members, pressure, under valued
Absolutely disgusting. Painful. Stressful. Great company if you want to be slav3d around by lazy management who couldn't care less about you. No sense of ownership, hypocritical supervisor. You can't talk to other staff but it's fine for them to laugh around. Let's not forget being put onto shifts you were not made aware of or asked if it's okay to work all night.
Cons
It was such a family, loving and kind enviroment. Everyday arraning gondolas, dealing with customer enquireys and learning about new stock. Miss every second of working there and hope to see it return to the UK.
Pros
Good wage, Great managerment, Friendly staff, good hours
Cons
Decent workplace Became stressful after a while Fast pace Worked with a lot of people so gained a lot of experience Pay started off low for 17 yr olds but got higher
It was bad so much fighting and a real cut throat and back Stabbing and the manger I had was trying to get me out of my job from the moment she started from an outside company
Pros
Non
Cons
No prospects. There are always lazy people in every job. Unfortunately they are the ones that are very good with interviews. Does not mean they can do the job.
Pros
Clean environment. Reasonable. Met a lot of nice people.
Cons
Pay should be better.. Not much within the company to work your way up
Amazing company! Amazing staff...., at the time I was working at the Bognor Regis store.Very hard working and always willing to lend a hand.... or 2!!!!!
Pros
Always plenty of stock.... and variety
Cons
Sometimes not enough space to display everything
It was a great.company to work as hours where good, staff was very helpful and pay was on time. Management was also available for any issues when arises too.
Pros
Loyal, team players
Cons
I learnt a lot of great skills working here, all my colleagues were lovely and it was a great environment, unfortunately we were one of the mothercrars closing down, that is why I left, however stayed until closing date.
Pros
Great employees, clean safe environment, learnt helpful skills.
Cons
The pay that I had was not great, however I was young so it did not bother me too much.
terrible place to work , constantly bullied by management and threatened to lose my job over hours i was not contacted to work but wanted to force me to when i already said wasn't able to from the beginning
Worst place I've ever worked. Management expect you to be completely flexible, change shifts without telling you. Make you work full time hours even though you have a 12 hour contract and were told they would be over 3 days, 2 of those bei g Saturday and Sunday. Management has no management skills, doesn't know how to speak to staff or customers. AwfuHiawfulmanagement
Typical retail job but with excellent staff and atmosphere. Learned a lot about specific items and bra fitting. Management were fine. Workplace culture was very good and all staff were very friendly. The hardest part of the job was finding time for toilet checks when the store was busy. I enjoyed all aspects of the job.
Good Place to work Management excellent at shop level, higher up in the company not so good that's why we went into administration. Learnt a lot throughout my career but unfortunately no outside qualification gained as all training was in house.
I worked at Mothercare for the best part of the decade. The people in your immediate team are generally some of the nicest people you would ever meet, incredibly supportive and friendly. The senior leadership team however, are not so great. Want the world delivered with no budget. Constantly changed their mind and sent out mixed messages. It’s probably quite telling that during an employee satisfaction survey, the results were suppressed for a while, with a limited set then revealed and the activity never revisited. There were full versions floating around the office - the true results were an open secret, but the company decided to just act as if it was all rosy.
Awful experience working for Mothercare. Management were horrendous, only looked out for themselves. Did not value staff members or deal with customer complaints properly. Numerous times I was verbally abused by both the store manager and customers. HR did nothing, investigating managers did nothing. Corrupt company and I’m glad they’ve closed down. Pay is also ridiculous for under 18s.
Only leftn as redundant due to closure otherwise I would have continued beyond retirement. The structure and communication were excellentand the management caring till the end
Working for Mothercare was nothing like the serene atmosphere you may encounter as a customer (well at most, off-peak, times). The allure quickly wears off when some customers turn on you because (naturally) you're not an encyclopaedia of baby care knowledge after training. Also, I experienced racism, physical inappropriateness and plain abuse as a CSA here from customers. I'd be doing a disservice if I didn't mention the kind, grateful customers that made it all worthwhile and truly made me sane. In terms of workplace culture there were a lot of staff and for the most part the vast majority of colleagues were a pleasure to work with. Management was mixed (and of course person-specific); at times they'd be helpful and pleasant, at times they'd be unfairly deflecting blame on us, deceitful and moody yet quick to share our respective individual successes to their superiors. The job itself involved doing various tasks beyond the imagination such as organising the stock room, doing overnight sales preparation and an extremely early morning audit. The primary attribute required in this role was being a knowledgeable people person, approaching every customer with kindness. All in all, a place that toughened me up which makes my experience here bittersweet.
It is a good job. Gives you a lot of skills than your average retail shop especially if your on Home and travel. There were times it was fast paced yet times where it was dead.
I enjoyed working for Mothercare and my employment only finished due to Mothercare ceasing to trade. Therefore I cannot recommend employment with them now.
I really enjoyed my time at Mothercare it was a shame it all had to end, with the collapse of Mothercare I find my self looking for a new job. Working for Mother meant you could really build relationships with customers and their families, I enjoyed it enormously!
  1. Employee reviews