Mott MacDonald

Mott MacDonald Employee Reviews

United Kingdom128 reviews

Collaborative workplace, supportive management. High workload, good prospects to advance if you have the right skills and attitude

Mott MacDonald is a good company to work for. They have interesting projects, a wide range of skilled employees and is well managed. The IT is excellent, with a good range of specialist software. Training has improved recently. The office environment is modern and hybrid working is the norm, with a minimum of 8 days a month in the office required.

Pros

Friendly environment, good IT

Cons

Some pressure to complete work quickly. Under resourced in some areas.

Don't recommend it

Disorganized. Low communication efficiency. Lack of responsability. Unhealthy working environment. Disrespectful among employees, from supervisors and secondary departments. Generally time delayed response. Reactive.

Insights into Mott MacDonald

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Supportive environment
  • Inclusive work environment

Not a good place to work

- not very good - could be better - improvements at management level and HRI would not recommend anyone coming here if they have a solid building surveying background the transition from surveying to project management is not that easy unless you have a qualification and extensive experience as a PM.

Pros

- some friendly and good staff

Cons

- poor management - internal politics in the back ground

If your face does not fit your going no where fast

to progress you need to be part of the line managers favourites. Very little guidance offered to progress and very difficult to do business development if the line manager doesnt fancy it or it involves cross department working

A productive work environment. Not welcoming to new people.

A productive work environment. Not welcoming to new people. Existing staffs seem suspicious and uncooperative with new entrants. It a more professional than friendly environment.

Amazing place to work

Could not recommend this company enough. Constant support from managers and help when its required. Great co-workers and salary, overall good company.

2 of 5

1) a typical day at work: some colleagues and managers were very disorganized, disrespectful, with low education and manners. Acting as they were not at the workplace. 2) what you learned: use some software. The company is a cost saver which will not buy some extra features needed to save money. 3) management: the less prepared I met in my professional life. I noticed how manipulative were some managers. 4) workplace culture: I don't have anything positive to say: blaming, judging. disorganized, lack of self-responsibility, transparency, resources. 5) the hardest part of the job: some managers and colleagues, 6) the most enjoyable part of the job: the projects are ok

Pros

only one the projects

Cons

many cons

They WILL target you for redundancy...

MM employees do a lot of co-location work at client offices - so be advised to ask exactly where you'll be working, as the working location may have entirely different policies and facilities to those of your base office. Your working location might be a right dump, and you could be stuck there for a few years.In my particular role, career progression and job security seems to be a bit of a joke - and that's because the company is primarily concerned with selling you to a client for maximum profit - wherever that might be - so your own skillset and competence is virtually irrelevant when it comes to being assigned to a project. If you are a young, cheap employee, you could have a long career, but don't expect to be working to your full potential. There has been a protracted action, within the APD unit, to offload the more seasoned professional Planners - especially those whom voice their concerns and expect to implement Best Practice. If they dislike you, your work will be initially removed, and then they will call you in for an informal meeting about "resources". This is usually the trigger for the redundancy process - even though there is plenty of work available.HR will lie to you, blather or just ignore you - and they will make ludicrously contradictory statements. They claimed that I was made redundant because of my "..unique skills…" and that I was working below my Grade et al. Bizarrely, HR claimed they had presented me with "..suitable alternatives.." employment - which they didn't actually offer me, but for which I'd be obligated to apply via the conventional route. -

Pros

Good working colleagues, informal environment, interesting projects.

Cons

They just want to sell you or sack you, Project management practices are 20 years behind the times, They assume everyone is phobic

MM have some great staff but......

MM make a big deal about caring for their staff. In my experience, this is true. However,agency/contract workers aren't given the same respect at all. Really sad. I used to 'big up' MM because I enjoyed working there a lot, but at the start of Covid they just shrugged me off like a disposable item. In almost 40 years of contract work I've never been treated so callously by a company. It hurt a lot and I can't forgive them.

Pros

Good in general

Cons

Ruthless

Fun workplace

Everyday was a different day, doing different tasks, meeting different people, different telephone conversations & queries. Loved meeting different customers & all staff are friendly & helpful. Hardest part for me is the long hours.

Pros

Refreshments provided free of charge

Cons

Long days

Great people

The key to MM is the management and employees. There is a great relationship between the staff and the management team. There is also great working culture and MM care about the staffs well being.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Long hours without financial benefits

Productive and Fun Place to work

Brilliant place to Work, and a good team. However, they are reluctant to offer a payrise. If you are not concerned about how much you get paid, then definitely a good place to work.

Very good work life balance - very bad career development after Chartership

A wide variety of interesting jobs. very little control over what you work on though. Very little support for career development so can get stuck working on boring projects. Wide range of specialist so can always ask help but very little support to put you on a job if 'you haven't got experience'.

Pros

Very good work life balance - management will also consider your personnel needs

Cons

Very bad career development after chartership

Involved in interesting projects

Mainly working for a client (Anglian Water) for four years. The estimating team was mainly built up of MM people. I was Senior Estimator working with Water & Wastewater, building estimates from high level through to more detailed. As part of the management team I mentored the junior members in all aspects of estimating setting tasks and overseeing their work. Working in tandem I also estimated for Mott MacDonald as they have many clients requesting remote working, eg. Oil, Gas, Rail, Nuclear, Roads etc. The culture was good depending on what part and section of the company you worked for, I can't speak for every department. The most difficult part of the job was the expected travel and time away from family. The most enjoyable part was working with exceptional engineers and generally lovely people.

This company allows bullying AVOID

They allow managers to bully trainees, to the point where there is crying and anxiety. Other colleagues turn a blind eye as they are scared of particular managers.

Used to be a good company to work for

Mott MacDonald used to be a good company to work for - that really cared for its staff. Now all it cares about is the bottom line - despite being employee owned. There is a lot of talk about well being and people being their main asset - but does it actually mean anything?

Good contract

Well managed. Good support from management team. Straight forward contract management. Mott macdonald treat their staff well, have a good culture. Are concerned about staff welfare and salary etc

no comment

After three and a half years my job sadly and abruptly ended which was very unfortunate. I had enjoyed the diversity of projects and sectors but obviously did not fit into the managements outfit.

Excellent company with great work life balance

I worked for Mott's for 2 years and enjoyed every minute of it. The work environment was fun and you are constantly learning. The team support was excellent and although we were quiet busy, we always had fun. For me, the hardest part of the job was when I had to leave, I left due to a situation that arose that was beyond my control. I would highly recommend this place to anyone as a place of employment.

nothing of that nature as fun working place

Work place was competetive and colleagues were friendly. Management will rate it a two but i think its who is the manager i guess nothing fancy no get

Great consultancy

Being employee-owned frees us to choose the work we take on and focus on the issues that are important to you – and us. This means that our clients get the very best from us because we want to do a great job – the right job. We’re not in business to make the most profit for external shareholders. There are no external shareholder priorities to influence our decision making. We’re independent in thought and action, which means we advise you what is genuinely right for your business, not what is easy either for you or for us.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mott MacDonald. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement