Mountain Warehouse

Mountain Warehouse Employee Reviews

This job was very average for me. It wasn’t very exciting and it got pretty boring. We were Constantly changing prices of items like everyday and everyday just felt the same. I wouldn’t say don’t work here, for a first job or if it interests you it’s fine but it’s not somewhere I’d personally choose over other places to work. The uniform was uncomfortable, I had to wear walking boots with the thick socks and the thick water proof trousers along with a fleece thing. Not my ideal place to work as it felt like every shift was a drag but it wasn’t horrible either. Might be different for others but that’s my personal experience.
Pros
Nice customers
Cons
Extremely boring
The tills and chip and pin systems are very outdated, also the 2 stores i worked in need to be updated. The company should spend money updating everything! No proper training on products or incentives.
All staff and managers were a pleasure to work with.. just a poorly paid job and they do tend to take you for granted if you let them. You get to go for a walk around town when it’s quiet, part of your job is to keep an eye on our competitors 😉
Pros
50% Staff Friends and family discount
Cons
Minimum wages, expected to keep floors, kitchen and toilet areas clean as part of your job. Bury st Edmunds store has no staff room, so you can’t really relax when taking your lunch break
Love working for this company Very supportive, excellent training giving Great company values Excellent communication skill always someone at the end of an email or phone to help
Pros
Excellent staff discount
Cons
The rota is very flexible and there are sometimes extra hours available. There is a lot of customer service training so don't worry if you have no experience. Most days are calm and my co workers are great.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad pay
Completed the tech test for their interview proccess. Missed out a single minor question and deemed me unsuccessful. I see they are still looking for developers. I do not recommend a company that have stupid expectations for developers. Ignore at all cost
Pros
Cons
Nome
Good to work for helpful friendly all staff helpful. Willingness to listen and help.and adapt to each persons individual needs. Regular reviews on progress in the company made.
I worked at Mountain Warehouse but ended up leaving because I just could not cope in the working environment anymore. There is just too much lifting and physical labour and this resulted in both my physical and mental health to deteriorate. The products are an eyesore to be looking at all day and the health and safety guidelines do not seem to be adequate. This included solely unstable ladders even though the employee handbook mentioned that ladders should not be used on the shop floor and yet I was still required to use one. If you care about your physical and mental wellbeing, do not apply at this awful place.
Please don't work here. It's awful and they don't care. I have heard so many bad things in this company, so many lines crossed and honestly it's so bad just don't do it
This was my sons first job and his first shifts were long but ok. Baring in mind he had no prior experience the manager neglected to let him know that the shifts would change from week to week, unknown to my son who attended college on a day he was on the rota to work. The fallout from this mistake was appalling; through an online group chat the manager and assistant manager bullied my son. They were both completely unprofessional. Needless to say I had to get involved and point out that they were supposed to be the adults and setting a good example to their staff. He never went back. Don't work for them particularly if your just starting out on in the job market.
Pros
Free uniform if you like Mountain Warehouse stuff!
Cons
Poor management, long hours, low pay
My personal experience working for this company was not the best. I had no training prior to starting this post and eventually gained it in due course but there was a constant miscommunication between management and it was truly a struggle to have a uni and work balance whilst working here.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Stressful
This company treat's thier staff like dirt. Where ever you work in a mountain warehouse store or neon sheep. They don't care about health and safety or your well being. Area manager bullies staff she gets people to cover up for her also does not follow health and safety and does not complete the paperwork correctly just covers things up. Any respectable company would not allow this but this company does. Hr are laughable too. If you are happy to follow like a dog then this is a job for you. The CEO does not care.
Cons
Minimum wage company, who expect too much. Lack of PPE. Expected to work on your own. Not a very staff caring company to work for....................
A very competitive company with plenty to do but as manager, the burden and stress you have to endure is beyond ridiculous. I had many successful years in sales until the economy died down and customers just didn't want to spend, making it difficult and distressing to achieve like for like sales. It felt like a crime if you missed targets or KPIs (btw, KPIs here are the biggest joke and choice of add ons given to sell you'd be able to buy in your local pound shop). Once your store is flagged as below sales expectations, despite the successful years, the company and the area manager turn on you just like that. Poison. You can try and try and TRY but they won't care as they just want results viewable in black and white to see on their little toy tablets. AMs make your life miserable and mentally depress your entire existence. The amount of things the company expect you to do is beyond ridiculous and even then, they're cutting staff hours so you can't win. It was obvious my area manager operated on favouritism and definitely favoured female managers as they'd get away with so much, even for poor store and stockroom standard or sales targets. It's quite sad and disgusting. There were many stores on my patch who would quite happily gossip behind other store managers back rather than confronting any actual issues but most of this gossip was just sad and petty as these gossipers "think they can do better". This company has very poor structure as promotions can change last minute and you have to dress your windows over and over again just in 1 day amongst processing your own delivery - more...
Pros
50% staff discount
Cons
Long hours, Lack of respect from upper management, Treat you like robots, Non-existent work/ life balance
The company wants high profile competencies in change of a salary near the poverty threshold. The management is as poor as arrogant, no chance to get a promotion or a pay raise. If you are a friend of them or if one works because has been referred by another manager or influential acquaintance, then rules and expected performances do not apply to them. If you are there just to work, the more you can offer, the more you'll get exploited.
Pros
Cons
Too many
It was a fabulous job. Great colleagues good hours, fair pay, weekends were busy but we all worked together. The manager was great and approachable. Area manager was also very nice even when encouraging KPI's.
Managers are awful, only look after themselves and push all the work onto you while not giving you credit. Poor money, poor work ethos and overall bad company to work for.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Long hours, bad pay, horrible management, bullies
If you want to work your way up in management work for mountain warehouse it’s a large company lots of room to improve and get on Great improvement on stock since joining company
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Tasking
If you put your head down you can quickly climb the ranks at MW. Management is generally quite responsive however I have worked with multiple managers in multiple stores and this is not always the case so that will really depend on which store you are at and under which Area Manager you have. The workplace itself has been super enjoyable in some stores and not so great in their stores so again it really depends n the reputation of your local store. Hardest part of any management job is dealing with thieves as there is no real training on how to deal with them and we experience it alot due to the nature of the products sold.
Pros
50% staff discount
Cons
Training not always structured as efficiently as you might like.
I have learned more about the different types of waterproof and the different types of footwear and what they are best for. The most enjoyable part about working in retail is the lovely customers we get.
I loved my co-workers at mountain Warehouse but the salary was very poor and I didn’t think my manager managed employees or lead the employee group very well. I wasn’t pushed as an employee and it seemed no one was passionate about their job which made me not very passionate despite being excited at first to work for a company I love.
  1. Employee reviews