Mountain Warehouse logo
Mountain Warehouse

Mountain Warehouse Employee Reviews

Productive & Growing Company

Ive been with the Mountain Warehouse for nearly 5 years now. I started as a Sales Assistant and have progressed to Assistant Manager within 3 years. Many of the old reviews I've seen don't reflect the majority of stores as the company has improved immensely over the last few years. The team dynamic was challenging when i first joined this store but over the last few years has changed for the better, helping to make positive improvements and move the store in the right direction. The stores can be very busy at times but with the right team it's always a good fun place to work. Each day is different and sometimes more challenging then others i.e last minute heavy task loads from head office given at short notice, it helps to have valued team members that muck in and work together. The training has vastly improved and you get to develop your knowledge of the company, how it runs and about the products you sell. It is very KPI orientated here so you need to have strong selling skills with confidence. If you want to progress there are always opportunities within the company to develop into better roles as well as learn new skills within the role your in to improve yourself. Mountain Warehouse are a company making changes/improving for the better i.e opening new stores, refitting older stores, even making environmental changes to the products we sell eg. going organic and recyclable. Generally day to day work has improved the last few years with new tools and tech introduced to lessen the timescale on certain tasks and for staff to be more productive and more pro-active; as -

Pros

50% Staff Discount, Progression Opportunities, Developing Your Retail Career Goals

Cons

Unexpected Heavy Task Loads at Short Notice, No Bonus Scheme/Incentives for staff/management, Pay isnt much difference if youve progressed from a Supervisor role to Assistant Manager

Friendly workplace with a secure future

I have worked for mountain warehouse for almost ten years and have always found it a fun and relaxed work environment. Recent introduction of new tech has made tasking easier (onlIne paperwork being much simpler to use). The new online traing tools have been great for new product knowledge and for brushing up on stuff I had forgotten!With the company continuing to grow it's good to have a feelig of job security, rare in the retail sector currently.

Pros

Great discount

Cons

Lovely location and great hard working team.

I’ve worked for MW for three years now and already been promoted to Assistant Manager and with the company expanding so fast my own store won’t be far behind. Great staff team, location (free parking) and great customers, some of which we are on first name terms with.Looking forward to getting fully stocked again.

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

No sick pay

A growing company

I've been with the company over 2 years and have seen a lot of changes. Many of the old reviews I've seen don't reflect the majority of stores. The stores can be very busy but with the right team it's always a good fun place to work with.

Pros

Staff discount and people who listen

Cons

Growing company always has its snagging points

Nice working environment

Having worked for MW for over 4 Years now, I have seen the company change dramatically in that time and now with the introduction of the IAms leaning platform it feels like the Company is re-investing in its employees to help everyone achieve a higher standard than before, with the roll out of the new HHTs the workload can now be shared across the team allowing all members to be productive.

Pros

free uniform, good training, friendly atmosphere

Cons

over tasking at times

Interesting and supportive workplace

During my time here, there has always been new challenges to sink my teeth into. There are new stores opening and older stores being refitted that you can get involved with. Also as a growing company, they are continually improving and trialling new systems and ideas, from rfid labels to improving the way stocktakes are done. I like that there are continual opportunities to get involved and do something different in an environment that is more collaborative than competitive.

A growing business in which to build a career

This is a fast growing business opening new stores on a regular basis - a success story within its self.If you are looking to develop a career and are passionate about customer care and interaction look no further!A culture of growing their own definitely becoming an investor of people.

Pros

Exceptional colleague benefits. A good training package. Career development.

Cons

Various store formats can cause inconsistencies.

Continually expanding, moving fast.

Good career prospects as the company is constantly expanding. Job security is good, rare for retail. One of the few companies to do well in 2019-21. Day to day tasking is straightforward, usual targets and KPIs to hit, normal for retail. Stressful when last-minute changes or issues occur. Generally day to day working has been improved the last few years due to introduction of new systems and tech. Online training, handheld scanners, digitised paperwork all brought in and make tasks much easier. Company feels more professional.Big difference in store quality depending on how old it is - older stores often left behind, new stores get a lot of the focus and investment. Disconnect between Head Office and store level - office speak a different language sometimes and decisions are made which sometimes requires huge workload at short notice. Staff discount and uniform is very generous, other benefits are minimal govt mandated (pension, holiday) Pay for hourly staff at national minimum wage. Salaries are lower end although career progression is relatively easy. Company culture pretty good, colleagues are supportive and friendly.

Pros

Excellent staff discount, career opportunites

Cons

Pay is low, even for retail. Tasking sometimes a huge issue.

Never bored every day is different!!!

I have been with the company for over 3 years now & started as the manager of the new Ryde store, after 4 months I was offered the managers position at the Newport store, this is a bigger store with a higher turnover. The good thing about the company is that you are given full support on your needs for the business via your line manager & progression can easily be achieved as this is advertised internally first. The company is still growing with new stores opening and larger sites being looked at for relocation. A new training platform has been launched for all store teams to carry out there ongoing training needs including the management team and is a good tool for the store as well as the company & is all online via a tablet. Going forward will be an introduction to all stores to launch HHT’s that will price check, transfer stock & stocktake which will make tasking much easier. This company is definitely going forward & getting bigger which tells me my job is secure considering over the past year and a half has been difficult. I feel MW is a very positive place to work and the company are moving in the right direction.

Pros

Free Uniform, training platform, work balance & good discount

Cons

Company trying to move forward

A lot of positive things are happening to the company and they have some big plans for the future. I enjoy the culture and I feel I am able to make a difference in my role. the area has had a number of store openings and this part of the job is great fun, it is great to work with a team to see the reward of a brand new store at the end of it.Whilst it is trying to move forward, there are areas in which it is not perfect, but I feel it is trying to do the right things, just comes up short on occasion.

Pros

Progressive, looking to expand

Cons

Heavy tasking at times

Jobs at Mountain Warehouse

See more jobs

Engaging management and friendly from the start.

From my initial application at Mountain Warehouse the correspondence was great from HR. The interview process was stress free and made me feel at ease from the start. The store team are all accommodating and supportive of each other's work/ life balance and management team are helpful, supportive, approachable at all times if assistance needed. The company are currently expanding and have opportunities in many areas. The training/ development method used is I-Ams a multi platformed development package. This has given me much confidence in the day to day selling of goods within the company from the start and ongoing.

Pros

Supportive management, Enjoyable working environment, productive working day, brilliant staff discount

Cons

Fragmented stock/ delivery's, salary mid to low.

A supportive , friendly place to work

I am currently employed as a store manager . The business is overall a very rewarding place to work , with lots of new opportunities to expand my retail experience. The company are moving forward with lots of new initiatives within the business , with lots of investment in training , stock management . Realistic time scales to complete tasks . As a manager I have had the opportunity to be part of new store openings , I enjoy as manager being able to actually manage on a day to day level , drive sales , focus on customer service , and make decisions that reflect in the sales all with good support from area managers . Overall after more than 25 years in retail , this is one of the most rewarding and professional companies I had the pleasure of working for .

Pros

Excellent staff discount, supportive upper management

Cons

Currently no management bonus scheme

30 July 2021
Hi, thanks for the 5-star review. We love to hear all of the positive comments you make re investment in people, and of course operations. Store openings and refits ae always fun, as well as hard work! Having a supportive Area Manager makes all of the difference too. We did have to place the bonus scheme on hold whilst in the pandemic, but I'm pleased to say that this is coming back very soon.Thansk again. Ewa, Recruitment Manager

Great atmosphere

I joined the company nearly 2 months ago and have loved it so much ! Our team is well managed both in store and higher. I am a supervisor and have been well trained from different members of staff and online training that continually gets updated for new lines and products. We have refits scheduled and new lines being added on the time , the staff discount is amazing . Joining this team was the best decision I ever made !

30 July 2021
Hi, that's really good to hear that you love working here and with your team, and that your early days with us have been so good.We work hard at getting the induction and training right, and the staff discount scheme is very generous. Good luck with the refit!Ewa, Recruitment Manager

Great community, product and opportunity

I work here now. I feel extremely valued, appreciated and considered. I feel my hard work is appreciated and rewarded. My boss in particular really works hard to build a store into being a valuable part of the team, no matter how small or large. I feel there is a plan of progression for every member of the team across our area.

Pros

Life insurance, fair pay, bonuses

30 July 2021
Hi, thanks for your positive review. It's great to hear when someone feels so valued and enjoys working with their Area Manager. Development is key to keep people engaged, and we have many examples of this! Ewa, Recruitment Manager

No advancement, unprofessional

It’s the minimum job you would consider taking. Quite demeaning and the the management are rude. Don’t work there unless you have no other options. The management treat staff like children. There is no respect between staff. The stores are dirty and don’t have professional cleaners,:so expect staff to keep stores at professional cleanliness level. Impossible with all other tasks

Pros

50 off clothes

Cons

Treated like a child

you get out what you put in!

MW is a brilliant company to work for. they understand work/home balance is important and dont make you work more than your contracted hours unless you want to, and you get paid for what you work.they are keen to train you up and keep you interested.you are worked hard and no day is the same but if you enjoy being busy, its the place for you. days go fast and management tend to keep it fun.i am very happy and have progressed from a summer temp (with no intention to stay) to management then visual merchandising.

Pros

time management/discounts on MW animal and neon sheep/fast paced

Cons

very busy/days are not long enough/a littke behind on tech

30 July 2021
Hi, thanks for the great review. We're so pleased that your journey has been so positive, and the VM work has certainly kept you very busy! You DO get out what you put in, and you are a great example of this. There's lots of work going on with IT Development, so hopefully you will see more improvements here. Ewa, Recruitment Manager

Great working experience and a very supportive company.

My experience with working for Mountain Warehouse has been nothing but positive. They supported me through lockdown as I continued to work from home. The work life balance compared to any other retailer I have worked for us great. They offer great training and the relevant tools and avenues to do a great job! Since working here I have recommend previous colleagues to follow, which they have done with no regrets.

Pros

Supportive and innovative

30 July 2021
Hi, thanks for the great review. We're so pleased to hear that you felt supported over the various lockdowns, we worked really hard at this and trying to keep the teams in the loop on what was going on during such a difficult time. Keep recommending people, we have the Find A Friend referral scheme in which you can earn some cash for this. Ewa, Recruitment Manager

If you have a passion for retail, enjoy leading a team, are hard working and able to adapt to a challenge this is a great job for you.

Mountain Warehouse is an inclusive work environment with a great culture. Every day is fast paced and the team are focused on delivering the best customer service. The team are focused on driving sustainable growth and delivering brand values. If you like the buzz of retail, enjoy developing people, are adaptable to change, like to be hands on, have good organisation skills, enjoy merchandising and managing product, like a challenge, enjoy being commercial and are results orientated this is a job you can enjoy.

Pros

Great people to work with. Great product and staff discount

30 July 2021
Hi, it's always great to hear such positive feedback. Mountain Warehouse has a real buzz around it and exciting time ahead; we're really pleased that you feel part of something bigger as we continue on our growth plan. We're woeking really hard on further improving our environment and culture.Good luck on your journey! Ewa, Recruitment Manager

Great for progression, enjoyable workplace with a good home life balance

I have worked for mountain warehouse as a manager for over 4 years now. I started in a garden centre which was a great place to learn how they work, then I took over a high street store. In the 4 years I have worked there the progression in the company I have seen is amazing. They have introduced a lot of tools to help us better manage our stores. The introduction of tablets has enabled them to go paper free (almost) and the introduction of online training is so much better. The teams complete all their training on a platform which they can also access at home if they so wish. They also have HHTs to help better price stock and also transfer stock to other stores. Stock takes are a lot easier now with the HHTs and stock files more accurate. The introduction on a new pricing system has also increased productivity and lessened task which in turn has helped with customer service. The company has evolved since I started and it keeps evolving. I feel very secure working for mountain warehouse in a time where job security caused by covid is at an all time low. The higher management are fantastic and you really do feel like you are important and thought about and not just a number! I enjoy working here and I look forward to the exciting new projects that are coming our way!

Pros

Staff discount of 50% and 25% for friends and family, Life insurance. Access to the employee assistance programme, job security, good for career progression.

30 July 2021
Hi, it's always great to hear such positive feedback. Mountain Warehouse has an exciting time ahead; there are so many great changes and the tablets and training really are popular. Feeling a big part of the team is really important!Good luck on your journey! Ewa, Recruitment Manager

Every day is different, as the company responds to weather developments and stock levels.

pre covid, work load was a lot more full on, but nothing that could not be completed with correct planning in place. Post covid, the work load is lower. There is generally a relaxed atmosphere to the company especially within the shops.Most enjoyable part of the job, is successfully selling the correct the clothing, shoes or accessories to a customer, when they have come into the store not knowing what they actually need for a charity hike etc.

Pros

good discount and good choice of staff uniform

Cons

constant price changes

13 July 2021
Hi, it's always great to hear of a positive experience, thanks for your review. The workload can be high, pleased that you feel it has been reducing. Mountain Warehouse has an exciting time ahead, it's really encouraging to hear about your passion for the product.Good luck on your journey! Ewa, Recruitment Manager

Love working here great fun chilled atmosphere

At MW there is always something to do price changes delivery merchandising customer service the atmosphere is chilled although can get busy but I love that part getting to give great customer service and making sure the customer leaves happy

Pros

Great hours pay is good chilled atmosphere

Cons

Sometimes lack of stock break could be bit longer

13 July 2021
Hi, it's always great to hear of a positive experience, thanks for your review. There's never a quiet moment at Mountain Warehouse, and we love to hear that you enjoy that! :) Ewa, Recruitment Manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mountain Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement