National Express
Happiness score is 49 out of 100

National Express Employee Reviews

United Kingdom435 reviews

Productive, good wage

I liked working here it was busy and fast paced but you do get rewarded, decent lunch breaks, management can be good but sometimes communication is off

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Stressful

Poor money and impossible timings to achieve

Poor money, impossible timings to achieve, unsocial working hours, long shifts, and holidays allocated by the company. I can not write anything good about National Express.

Insights into National Express

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Unfair pay

The training was excellent. You were given 1-2 routes to start with which is an excellent approach. There is no pressure given when you start as a new driver. Very soon they would ask you to do overtime work. Break is unpaid. Salary is lower than other bus companies in nearby cities. No enhanced rates for weekend and late night. Overtime work always available if you want to make more money. Well, you need to because the pay is so poor.Serious driver shortage ongoing, buses missing all the time. Passengers will verbally abuse you because they have been waiting for so long for the bus.Do your things right and you won’t be bothered by management. People are generally nice in the garage. Not enough space in the staff car park.During recruitment I was given the impression that they focus on customer service. But the truth is they don’t care. They can’t put the bus on the road, they won’t tell people the buses are not running, they don’t care if you stand for an hour for a bus, they don’t invest in their own app like other bus companies, they don’t bother to let people know a diversion.The company invested to go all electric, but doesn’t seem like to invest in improving drivers pay and conditions.

Job has meaning to me

I have learn a lot of routes up and down the country from town to town but I feel that I will always be a driver Day to day is always different never the same thing day after day

Stressful but a good bunch of other drivers

What can I say that hasn't been said before. Been waiting on terms and conditions proposals for several months. Poor payrises. And worsening duties.Drivers leaving in their droves. Can't retain staff. Can't attract new staff. Desperately short staffed as a result.

Pros

Good laugh with some colleagues.

Cons

Desperately short staffed

If I knew what I know now wouldn’t have started

Drivers banter is the only good thing about national express otherwise the company does not appreciate us.They even turned of air conditioning on the buses because it cost to much would rather have the driver pass out at the wheel with heat exhaustion then blame the driver and then sack him that’s there answer to everything blame somebody else then get rid of them.

Stressed

Long hours with split shifts with unpaid breaks. You are overworked with low pay. You have to work one Saturdays and every two Sundays per month. Managers are poor.

Pros

Cons

Passengers

Fast paced

Ok but it's public service driving so it's not always easy but it's how you bake it work for you. Need to not let passengers get to you and you need to be able to keep driving even if traffic makes you late!

Alright place

Busy fast pacedCan be stressful when delays and communication is not thereServices can busy especially in the summer monthTeam is fun to work with and great

If like driving buses

Its a job for people who has strong nerves. Days can be long, especially Sundays. Best to do this job is to switch off .Birmingham is hard place to drive bus.

Pros

Cycle2work, Long Weekends

Cons

Bad Routes, Time is very tight, toilet issue

Satisfactory.

Satisfactory. It’s a job at the end of the day. Either stick at it or find somewhere else. It’s not worth the hassle most of the time. You’re left to fend for yourself.

Average pay with long shifts and no support

They promote the controllers as being helpful and understanding..this couldn’t be more wrong….ur expected to know every road in and around London and every diversion if u don’t know it you call control they advise you to use Google maps!!! Google maps doesn’t know height/length/width/weight of a coach and this caused a lot of issues while I have been here. You are a bum on a seat as soon as u don’t do what is asked of you or you break any rule(no matter how insignificant the rule) then ur fired! Pay is ok for the job but after 3 months they still can’t pay me correctly or payroll messes up and lose your paperwork etc etc….If your new to the industry then I would recommend paying for you license yourself and join any other company if you use National express to get your license you will be tired to them for 2 years and you will hate every minute of it….

Stressful

As soon as you can't help with overtime as you have someone poorly to look after, their attitude changes. As for flexible working hours when you have someone who needs 24/7 care but they won't help you with hours you could do with, yet give hours to someone else that doesn't need it, it's sickening, stressful and downright disgraceful. Passengers are vile...they spit at you, abuse you, threaten yet you get no backing from NX. Only good thing is the people I met...one in particular. The rest of the staff backstab you and turn their backs on you as soon as you need help. Disgusting company. They give you all the drivel before starting stating flexi working hours etc, then they must laugh at you as soon as you're out the training centre. Don't ever work for them. They are terrible.

Ok the work for

Jobs ok if you sitting down driving for you shifts. But u get paid for 7.39 hours pay but will be at work for 10 hours. Management don't what's goin on sometimes with no relief somedays.

Sinking ship

It was a stressful job when I started, but it gone downhill since. Long duties, low wages, management don't want to know. Can't wait to get out of there.

Pros

Driving a bus, paid licence, free travel

Cons

Long hours, low wages, management is not helpful

Long Shifts

If you love driving long distance, not really getting any quality time with your family then this is the job for you. You can earn good money, management and staff are all friendly and helpful but the hours are very long.

Pros

Money

Cons

Length of shifts

Strict thus successful company...

National Express is the safest on the roads! It has a very strict rules to follow as an employee but for a good reason. In return you have job security and pretty good wage. I recommend National Express to work for if you can and able to follow the company rules and other legislations promptly. If you do you wont have any problems ever.

Pros

Good wage, brand new coaches, free travel in The UK, you can make long life friends, job security

Cons

Unsociable working hours, very strict rules to follow

Stressful watched all the time overworked

I have worked at national express for 17 yrs Many changes have been witnessed over the yrs the work atmosphere is very stressful now the driving compass of the duties have increased in average its 13 hours now they have cameras in the cab which record visual and audio of the driver you can't get days off even if it's a emergency because all app based now running times have decreased and now they want to phase out the Sunday working hours we as drivers get abused every day by certain passengers every day we can even tell the company which stops they get on at yet we told to keep quiet and keep picking them up

Stress

Fast paced environment and split shifts unpaid. Poor vehicles to drive. Management is clueless as they have no experience in driving bus. Not worth the stress.

Really give it some thought before you apply.

Very sloppy approach to looking after their employees, rude and unappreciated from start to finish. I would deter anyone from making the same mistake I made. Still if management have changed maybe there's hope.

In at the deep end

On quiteca few occasions I had to remind staff that I wasn't from around here, jobs where given to me I didn't know where I was going, the feeling I got was your a professional driver you should know !, I on more than one occasion had the ask passengers for help. This I found totally embarrassing & unprofessional, I ask for more help in other areas of route learning, I just felt that they just wanted a bum on the seat. The whole route learning procedure needs to be revamped & they should listen .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Express. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare National Express with

• National Express
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?