National Express logo
National Express

National Express Employee Reviews

Brilliant for new drivers in respect of learning and supportive trainers. But as you go on you feel less and less valued. Just become a number and feel under valued

Pros

Free travel

Cons

Split shifts and long days

Terrible

Worst place ever for not listening, rewarding, no service time milestones. No Christmas bonuses, no recognition, no support, you do NOT feel a valued m member of a worthwhile team

Pros

Non

Cons

Anti social hours

Arrogant management and supervisors, coaches dirty, toilets full out of action rud abusive passengers

Never had so much stress in a job ,worse than buses , to many drop off pick up locations, then people wanting to pay without reservation and then every passenger getting irate because journey takes to long.

Pros

Free travel

Cons

All of it

Stressfull

Not the best place to work no home and work life balance made to do stupid hours although your contract 7hr 36 per day but if your late they ignore radio calla to get adjusted and expect you to put a late slip in forcing you to do overtime that you don't want. Only reason people do the job is due to the pay which is competitive other than that if you have a family then u will hardly get any timw with them as you would be tired end of your shift and before you know it your back at work

Pros

Competitive pay

Cons

Long hours, stress ful

Look after number one!

Never get too comfortable in this job as you are only ever one incident away from being dismissed! Out on the road, you have no support or back-up when abused by passengers or other road users. If involved in an accident, you have to prove your innocence rather than they prove your guilt? Always best to join the union because without that cushion, you could be gone at the drop of a hat? Everyone handles stress differently, it's always there but some drivers are better at ignoring the abuse than others? Lots of people come and go each year, the training centre is an ever-revolving wheel!! Best people I've worked with but the worst company I've ever worked for?? When circumstances allow me to escape, it's not a place or job I'd ever want to return to. Give it a go if you want but I'd say eight out of ten in retrospect would regret ever contemplating it?

Pros

Weekly pay

Cons

Varied hours, split shifts, abusive passengers

You are supplying a service for coach drivers most of them are great,the very bad ones spoil your day

The customer is always right even though they are more often than not wrong.More often it’s you and your colleagues against the world.Tired passengers often kick off.Have seen drivers knocked out by passengers.

Pros

Drivers from far and wide bring you things.

Cons

Low pay.

interesting not....

everything seems to be drivers fault,or everything is blamed on the driver,driving on your route is like driving on eggshells waiting for when you get attacked next!!!,so if you like being verabaly abused,spat on this is the job for you.

Pros

free travel

Cons

split shifts

Not a good place

If I could give this job zero stars I would please everyone don’t apply for this job.Your just a number at this workplace there is no care or respect for u no matter how much u do unless u get on great with the managers or people who are close with the managers not to mention everyone’s family members cuz it’s a family bussiness.Just don’t bother honestly place is just full of gossip Aswell if I could say more I would!!!!

Pros

Can have 5 minute breaks if ur part time

Cons

Not enough money!!!!

Rubbish to work for

If the face fits it’s a good job but if your outspoken and not one for creeping round management then don’t bother. Drivers get loads of abuse with no help off anyone. No sign of inspectors on buses. Always take on drivers because so many leave.

Stress and no recognise structure

You are just a number yes you get a uniform and good training and you were paid for CPC. But if you like your weekends for get it as normally four days on and two days off .

Pros

Driving nice coaches

Cons

4 on two off.

Jobs at National Express

See more jobs

Not a very nice place to work

Really not a very place to work , treated like third class citizens, I achievable targets , will sell you down the river at the first instance. AVOID!!!!

Pros

None that I can think of

Travelling time rota shifts

Here is the catch... Joining you have to quit your job because taking the driver training, if you fail the test you get 2 attempts, (official dvla test) you are left without a job... so no pressure Plus the 2 year bonding agreement this is were the alarm bells should be ringing because that's a long time to have a agreement if you don't like the job, why so long? Rubbish duties they will slowly make there investments back from you, and 2 years of no pay rise. Promise of a rota, you have to wait for the other drivers to change or come off current rota's.. could be months up to a year. the contracts currently are far far worse then the older drivers so you work harder longer for less. (Example older contracts only work 5 hours on a Sunday for a full day's pay were as you will work 9 hours (average) plus travel to the change over point, but you're payed 7.38 hours. It works out roughly 1 full weekend off a month so you can't plan a home life, especially if you have kids or activities after work. and they give you set days to have your holiday and will make you stick to that if they have too... As for the driving I enjoyed the driving part it's pretty easy, the public are pretty polite crazy right!! I enjoyed the training and the trainers. But far too many other things going on such as scheduling, and favourism, and why you need to join the union to save yourself from any unnecessary telling offs... all in all the new drivers don't stay once the penny drops, if your face fits it fits I guess and it will be the same old faces in the depo, because they have the good contracts... -

Pros

Experience for driving large vehicles

Cons

Shifts, home life, irregular eating times.

Work colleagues are brilliant.

Your work colleagues are brilliant they will help you any way they can .Just stay under the radar from management. The only downside is if you've got other commitments like children or hobbies it can become difficult to juggle with that.Overall it's an ok place to work at

Pros

Good wages

Cons

Shifts are too flexible

Paid fairly for my job and could balance my home life . Everyone was friendly and willing to help each other out . You could talk to the Depot manager of any concerns you had .

Pros

Well paid

Cons

No cons

Driver of 2 years.

Nx was a great gig till they changed everything and went in house again. Now they expect too much from their drivers. Lucketts group are a total nightmare if your driving nx for them. They are very childish and after a week with them I left. The national control center will never back you up and make your life with them harder than it needs to be.When nx was a franchise it was good, now they pay a pound above min wage for most new starters, and it's not worth the money. I'd say around 80% of the drivers I worked with including myself have disks out in our backs from the constant loading and unloading of luggage. I felt so let down with how nx have gone. If you have the cat D and just need something to tide you over then go for it. But be ready to work all the hours

Pros

Free travel

Cons

Poor management, poor pay

Good working environment,while working with National Express felt intrinsically motivated.

Worked in busy site,everyday was a new challenge,however adequate training was in place to face the challenges,great place to work. Colleagues have sense of pride working with National express.

Pros

Friendly work atmosphere, supportive management

Poor

National express are only concerned with one thing and one thing only . Themselves employees and passengers are just something they have to tolerate, but if they can make money from both they will.

Pros

Cons

Constantly looking to find fault

Inbound travel sales

Worked here in 1999-2001 Glasgow branch absolutely loved the job and the people it moved down to Birmingham n Glasgow office was no longer but lovely people and they put me through a course for call centre certificate just wish it never left Glasgow was so handy and fun.

Pros

Free travel in Scotland

Cons

Most buses were in England

I liked how the working enviroment is multi-cultural.

8 - 12 hours shifts. Can be stressful dealing with the public but satisfying when you have helped passengers resolve there travel issues. Management could be better.

Pros

Free travel.

Cons

Short lunch breaks

Entry level role

A interest UK and EU geographic is a must as is working with manuals that changed even 6 months. Target-based working from offices, sat.a a PC accepting incoming calls from customers only. Glass ceilings unless you're a graduate. To managment: you're not God.

Pros

Free travel on National Express coaches and discounts for your family.

Cons

A lot of miserable staff if not managed as people.

Easy work but bad management

Your just a number , I enjoyed it at first but being helpful only works 1 way , bad management, coaches smell of urine , expected to run with defects with coaches and looked at like you causing problems when you report issues

Pros

Free travel

Cons

Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Express. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9