National Grid

National Grid Employee Reviews

Totally disappointed with my experience. Started off great. Management is poor, Square pegs in round holes come to mind around the staff. Throw more work at you without reward. Forced to work in different locations or there was not a role for you!!!Blame culture, staff taking credit for the work you have completed
Interesting,but demanding work environmentLarge office with multiple call handlersFast pace busy officeCustomer service, complaints appointmentsEtcMany shifts availableGood canteen,choice of food comfortable restraintI worked full time for awhile Working 12 till 6 Mon to FridayBasic keyboard skills required
Pros
Great canteen
Cons
Short breaks
Worst company I have ever worked for. Have taken away all benefits. CEO get 10% increases on his £5 mill after tax, a year, Staff 2-4% subject to calibration. Management don't take staff seriously, so many changes going on and haven't even recovered from the previous one. Can't wait till we become civil servants, company is in denial, government is pushing forward. Carbon free is a joke, especially when you declare inter connects carbon free when you know full well the EU energy is very divers!
Pros
None any more, all been stripped away
Cons
provide lip service only
Simply great place to work. Everyone pulling in the same direction. Humorous at times and yet serious about delivery. Would go back in a shot when new projects start matching my skill set.
Pros
Nice location, made many new friends
Cons
All good
Although based in Warwick at the time of my employment, I did travel to various sites around the UK conducting audits, training, development of processes and procedures to streamline the business and ensure the workforce are beyond adequately trained for the tasks they completed. The paperwork such as Risk Assessments and Method Statements were kept as simple as possible while still identifying hazards and risks, the potential injuries and what suitable controls to put in place but still allow the work to be completed without hindrance from PPE etc. This way, we could assist them to be safe, with a higher proportion using the safety equipment correctly rather than just providing lip service. A great idea fully supported and identified by senior management. That states a lot about how serious management take the safety and well-being of their employees.
Pros
Good teamwork, no prims-donnas
Cons
Travel and work based in Warwick as I live in Hartlepool
one of the best companies i have worked for. Because of call out rota, there's no work life balance. The lower management is not very supportive. The top management is only concerned with numbers.
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
work life balance doesn't exist here
Excellent project staff, highly supported, I moved around 5 times in 7 years to new positions including my ideal role with a premier team. I was sad to leave.
Pros
World class projects
Cons
Be prepared for change
This line of work involves travelling to various sites in and around the East Anglia region, performing maintenance operations. ● The maintenance tasks involve calibrating each instrument on site, which can range from pressure transmitters, DP cells, temperature devices to pressure switches. It also involves keeping accurate records, maintenance logs and general site husbandry. ● My work also involves industrial meter, converter and data logging maintenance. ● I am required to take readings from the meter and converter as well as ensure the converter is still within its calibration for temperature and pressure readings.
Regulation used as an excuse not to innovate / push the envelope. Management unadventurous, decision making slow and risk averse. Unenlightened view of flexible working.
The Viking Link team members and management were supportive. I had a wonderful experience during my time with the company and would recommend it to fellow colleagues.
A great company with great benefits. Very structured and excellent policies and procedures in place. I worked there for 20 years. Very professional and trustworthy company
Pros
Secure and professional business
Cons
Centralised a lot of departments and none in my area anymore
Excellent company to work for !!! They place a great importance on team work and getting involved with problems as and when they arise. Management are very supportive. Education and training were of the highest standard.
The company is more advance and there is work life balance in such a way that there is gym and dental clinic onsite. Flexibility with working from home and the company also operate smart desk sitting arrangement.
If you want unrelenting pain for a pittance then National Grid are the toss pots for you! Useless incompetent numbskulls for managers, haven't got a scooby do about anything. Nuff said
No issues, good working culture. Parking can be an issue but otherwise a commutable site from the M40. I was a contractor at Warwick for just under 3 years.
Good benefits, but workload is high and demanding with little to no reward for achievement. Restrictions on spending/cost cutting are effecting the company in a challenging way and staff are left to wonder if they will get to carry out the much needed work. Resources are low and cuts have caused more issues, although its always painted in another way. The company would be a great place to work if the employees where held in higher regard and listened too by the directors.
Work - Life Balance is excellent as you are able to manage your own workload. Meetings are preferred using Webex. Projects are varied as is the project team. Waterfall, Agile and a Mix of Methodologies applied in projects. Strong culture of personal relationships to deliver is preferred.
Pros
Work / Life Balance
Cons
Little Project Support
National Grid is a good place to work, I enjoyed my time working for this organisation and i recommend it to anyone who has a desire to add value to the business
Great workplace Lovely environment Top people Good canteen Great gym Fun project Did I mention great people. And I think I mentioned the gym and food And the environment
Terrible place to work for, they expect a lot of hard work and you are never thanked or given praise, management are non supportive and do not care, you do not get a chance to climb the ladder
Good culture, interesting people, can pick up new skills and form excellent networks. Work is demanding and fast paced at times with a need to deliver quickly under pressure.
  1. Employee reviews