National Grid

National Grid Employee Reviews

United Kingdom235 reviews

nationalcentreprogressionroleparkingengineersitecolleague

Steady with good atmosphere

The company looks after its employees still and managers are encouraged to develop staff. The company is starting to become more progressive but its a slow process

Pros

Autonomy in your job

Cons

Sometimes slow and weighed down with process

Worst place I have ever worked

Dangerous place to work management more interested in numbers than peoples safety they treat contractors like scum avoid as you will regret working for them there are more managers than staff again avoid or you will regret

Insights into National Grid

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Supportive environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Waste of time and my life......

An awful, aggressive company towards each other, colleagues and team members in general; consist of people who have been working there far too long and requires a good shake up in my humble opinion.It's not what you know, it's a case whom you know....I would never entertain the thought of working there again ever; ignore their company values as it does not mean anything. The most unprofessional company I have ever come across in my 25yrs of working life...REALLY horrible people!

Toxic management and worked to burnout

If you overwork they love it, until you burnout. They talk of mental health support until you actual suffer with poor mental health caused by their work environment and management style

Pros

Good pay and pension

Cons

Long hours, no team work, culture of not speaking out

Good progression

Really good place to work. Loved the promotion chances you get. All staff friendly. Lots of training is available. Canteen on site. Parking available

Shocking Clueless Management and Poor Pay

Middle managers in National Grid have usually found themselves in the position as they've been promoted out of the way. Really poor grasp of the workplace and poor skills create a workplace where no-one really knows what they should be doing. All the middle managers do is concentrate on building their own empire. Pay is below average for comparative roles in the industry and they expect you to pick up loads of extra work, when you challenge it your loyalty gets questioned and you soon get put in a dark corner and get constantly bad performance reviews.Used to be a fantastic place to work when people with knowledge and experience ran the company, now its run by graduates with no work experience.

I found the culture to be unsupportive and lack of openness and collaboration. There is a great deal of talk regarding diversity, bringing your whole self to work. Personally I did not experience this. Additionally work life balance does not exist in IT.

Pros

Cons

Unsupportive and unprofessional

Where IT Careers go to die

Imagine putting the most incompetent group of IT professionals together, and then heading them up with an hugely incompetent set of managers, and you have National Grid. Weak middle managers who have been promoted out of their depth, and can't even manage their team - let alone lead it - and are more interested in building their empire/self-promotion than progressing their team’s success.Couple this with a level of a team of people who do not know IT (which often manifests itself as aggression by staff who are completely out of their depth and think shouting their way out of a situation is the way to go).Truly appalling place to work, could have been so much more, but the culture is absolutely toxic, and is allowed to continue to be so by weak management. No desire to strive for excellence, or even get close to good, and any suggestion of improvement is met with resistance and "This is how we've always done it". Unless you’ve only a couple of years left of working, and fancy an easy life coasting to retirement, don’t contemplate a role at National Grid.

Pros

Easy life, lack of accountability

Cons

Culture, People, Processes

Productive and fun

Loved this job I was gutted to leave but had to due to moving house, pay was great, customers were amazing mangerment was helpful and supportive, staff were amazing

Pros

Cons

On feet all day

Productive and fun place to work place

Good working condition. Treatment of employees excellent.Would work for them in future.They carry out background checks before employing anyone.Tha campany is split into divisions Capital DElivery and ETAM OPS(Transmsion)

Pros

Good employer

Cons

you can do long ours depending on the project demands

too much red tape

cant get anything done with out jumping through 10000 hoops. too many obstacles to work effectively. loads of people working at about 25% capacity and then when there is a slight increase in work load - say to 40% they are running about telling everyone how busy and overworked they are. the offers of training and certification offered at interview is a lie - these are not offered in reality. very boring and old fashioned place to work.

Pros

job security, can coast for life there

Cons

boring, beauracy, blockers, no progression

Bad Experience

Totally disappointed with my experience. Started off great. Management is poor, Square pegs in round holes come to mind around the staff. Throw more work at you without reward. Forced to work in different locations or there was not a role for you!!!Blame culture, staff taking credit for the work you have completed

Fast pace atmosphere

Interesting,but demanding work environmentLarge office with multiple call handlersFast pace busy officeCustomer service, complaints appointmentsEtcMany shifts availableGood canteen,choice of food comfortable restraintI worked full time for awhile Working 12 till 6 Mon to FridayBasic keyboard skills required

Pros

Great canteen

Cons

Short breaks

Toxic staff and management

Worst company I have ever worked for. Have taken away all benefits. CEO get 10% increases on his £5 mill after tax, a year, Staff 2-4% subject to calibration. Management don't take staff seriously, so many changes going on and haven't even recovered from the previous one. Can't wait till we become civil servants, company is in denial, government is pushing forward. Carbon free is a joke, especially when you declare inter connects carbon free when you know full well the EU energy is very divers!

Pros

None any more, all been stripped away

Cons

provide lip service only

Simply great

Simply great place to work. Everyone pulling in the same direction. Humorous at times and yet serious about delivery. Would go back in a shot when new projects start matching my skill set.

Pros

Nice location, made many new friends

Cons

All good

Development officer based in Warwick

Although based in Warwick at the time of my employment, I did travel to various sites around the UK conducting audits, training, development of processes and procedures to streamline the business and ensure the workforce are beyond adequately trained for the tasks they completed. The paperwork such as Risk Assessments and Method Statements were kept as simple as possible while still identifying hazards and risks, the potential injuries and what suitable controls to put in place but still allow the work to be completed without hindrance from PPE etc. This way, we could assist them to be safe, with a higher proportion using the safety equipment correctly rather than just providing lip service. A great idea fully supported and identified by senior management. That states a lot about how serious management take the safety and well-being of their employees.

Pros

Good teamwork, no prims-donnas

Cons

Travel and work based in Warwick as I live in Hartlepool

Good company to work for

one of the best companies i have worked for. Because of call out rota, there's no work life balance. The lower management is not very supportive. The top management is only concerned with numbers.

Pros

excellent pay

Cons

work life balance doesn't exist here

7 years at several sites

Excellent project staff, highly supported, I moved around 5 times in 7 years to new positions including my ideal role with a premier team. I was sad to leave.

Pros

World class projects

Cons

Be prepared for change

Good company to work for

This line of work involves travelling to various sites in and around the East Anglia region, performing maintenance operations. ● The maintenance tasks involve calibrating each instrument on site, which can range from pressure transmitters, DP cells, temperature devices to pressure switches. It also involves keeping accurate records, maintenance logs and general site husbandry. ● My work also involves industrial meter, converter and data logging maintenance. ● I am required to take readings from the meter and converter as well as ensure the converter is still within its calibration for temperature and pressure readings.

Awfull experience

They have a blame culture, depression descends on you as soon as you walk into the place. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you left at the end of the day. The culture is one of blame, they do not care about training and have no regard for the mental health or well being of the staff. I did not learn a thing while working there.

Slow and uninspiring

Regulation used as an excuse not to innovate / push the envelope. Management unadventurous, decision making slow and risk averse. Unenlightened view of flexible working.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Grid. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare National Grid with

Learn about National Grid in popular locations

• National Grid
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?