National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my time at NOV in planing I had a mentor and well looked after. I would of still been there if it were not for oil price crash affecting works wide demand
no words needed this company only wants to you do as they say to many chiefs no Indians all on your back even if your right your wrong they tire you out as you don't fit in the gang bosses are up each other so you don't fit in to there agenda
Pros
no free breezes
Cons
very long hour's
The management of the company is very unstable and reactive. At the slightest fall of the oil price they sack staff. Staff is treated like a numbers game, no one really cares.
Cons
Lack of systematic approach and poor management
There is a very clique culture at Nov. If your particular manager puts you in his, you are pretty much ok. If not, you constantly fighting for your own job at every round of redundancies
Good Engineering Salary with good benefits, and a good work life balance. Relatively relaxed place to work. Only negative is that there is no career path
Pros
Salary
Cons
not career path
Good place to work with varied demanding work in many locations around the world. Excellent communication and leadership skill development alongside technical advancement in engineering.
Not much training when you start your role and you just have to learn everything yourself as you go. Very much a blame culture, no one looks for solutions when things go wrong they just look to point their fingers at someone!
Pros
Good company benefits
Cons
Blame culture
It was a pleasure working at NOV, I was only temping but learnt a lot in a short period of time. Friendly and helpful colleagues. Great work environment. I'd love to work there again.
It started off great , I got to travel to places I’ve never been and learned a skill I’ve never done and the money was good until they wanted me to relocate to west Texas , with a family I couldn’t do that .
A good variation in working roles, great on H & S, friendly helpful workmates an enjoyable atmosphere to work in. A three Shift pattern of Nights (10-6) Evenings (2-10) and Earlies (6-2) with options for overtime in week and weekends as per workloads required. On site and off site training.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at National Oilwell Varco?
Although there is a good variety of work the facility I worked at had an absolutely foul atmosphere. If you were not an original Elmar guy you were nothing. A bit of bullying and backstabbing went on. The drawing packs we got to assemble the equipment were out of date, so when you build as per drawing you are wrong and are made to feel like an idiot. No training provided
A good challenging and fast paced place to work with different tasks to do each day and a large squad working together on large projects which was rewarding to see completed at the end.
It was a good place to work for many years. I had lots of great colleagues and we worked hard to deliver a good product to our customer and meet tight deadlines.
A typical day working for NOV will be enjoyable, you will be sure to learn new skills, plenty of opportunity to progress your career, Over all a good place to work.
very busy workplace, good place to work good training given for differant roles around the factory. mostly shift work 6-2 2-10 10-6. work and ppe provided for you
Very busy all day updating paperwork , Kpi boards and computer programs also making sure staff are working to list order to complete the work on time. attending work meetings with other departments.
Well established company, compressed working hours scheme, great benefits, full training provided outstanding management, overall company is the place to be.
Pros
Every other friday off
Cons
Having a great time working here and it’s a interesting place to work, working environment is good. With a high turn over of contractors, issues do arise. Most work mates and the supervisors are knowledgeable. It’s another string to my bow.. only downside it’s only ever temporary, loving my time there!!!
Salary is rubbish and so is advancing through the company. No progress anywhere so you’ll be stuck in a dead end job until you decide to leave. Would not advise working here.
Management never seen, supervisors who barely speak to you and don't know the tools, only in a supervisory position because they came from a company that was bought over. No direction or leadership, can do what you want. Not treated very well, no infrastructure to help you do your job. Never seen a place where everyone is out for themselves more than here. I have always heard terrible things about NOV but didn't believe it until I seen it for myself. Please take my word, do not work for NOV, its reputation for treating staff bad is well merited.
Pros
None.
Cons
Management, attitudes, a ship adrift at sea.
Typcial day includes long-term project planning and more tactical financial analysis. Good team of people but suffer from topheavy management style. An average place to work
Pros
Flexible hours