National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews in Aberdeen

A typical day working for NOV will be enjoyable, you will be sure to learn new skills, plenty of opportunity to progress your career, Over all a good place to work.
Management never seen, supervisors who barely speak to you and don't know the tools, only in a supervisory position because they came from a company that was bought over. No direction or leadership, can do what you want. Not treated very well, no infrastructure to help you do your job. Never seen a place where everyone is out for themselves more than here. I have always heard terrible things about NOV but didn't believe it until I seen it for myself. Please take my word, do not work for NOV, its reputation for treating staff bad is well merited.
Pros
None.
Cons
Management, attitudes, a ship adrift at sea.
Good Company to be employed by, many opportunities to move in the right direction with the company. Chances to work abroad in different locations onshore and offshore. Management are good and care about its employees.
as stated in my summary, good place to work, though feedback can be hard to come by due to busy work schedule of supervisors. training has been cut back due to downturn in industry however most personnel are highly qualified to start with
Varies depending on location. Drilling equipment and its uses Management fair Co-workers all good Going away Coming home
Pros
Salary boosted when working away.
Cons
Adhoc so could be called away anytime.
A tough company to work for with the current climate. Poor management and little room for progression, salary is a little below competitive.
NOV Tuboscope are and will always be the worlds worst OCTG Inspection company. No or very little quality in there day to day activities, clearly things have never moved on over the years with them as they still are working as a max profit no quality get it in get it out work ethic !
Pros
Going home
Cons
Going to work
A proactive company with excellent senior leadership, with vision to succeed in their marketplace. Growth is through aggressive acquisition and integration of new companies can be somewhat slow.
Pros
excellent working conditions
Cons
average salaries inb some roles
Many pies, too few fingers. Covering a vast field within the energy sector would seem to be too much of a challenge. Due to their poor planning and infrastructure, they ended up making many people, including me redundant.
Pros
Fairly laid back attitude.
Cons
Unsure what they are trying to achieve.
My co-workers at NOV were very helpful and supportive . The work was varied and there was very tight deadlines . There was no typical day
Everyday is a busy day at NOV, satisfying the requirements of our customers, in our industry (Oil & Gas) reaction & on time delivery of our products is essential, our office is very well managed with a strong commitment from all staff who get on well both inside & out of the work place. There is also a strong emphasis on training to help staff to better understand the products/equipment that we supply. The most enjoyable part of my job is passing on the knowledge & information I have learned in order to help my fellow colleagues.
Good place to work just a shame about the down turn in the market and cuts have to be made. stakk are very nice and freindley and the office is a nice place to work just a bit of a commute to portlethen which is a bit out of aberdeen
Pros
good package
Cons
portlethen
every day was busy till oil price went down , management is not bad , some of co-workers are friendly and always happy to help , best part of the job was to learn new tools
Pros
short day
Varied offshore or overseas Platform work, NOV products. Relaxed management. Good team. 12 hour days Travel to new countries and working internationally.
Pros
travel
Cons
long days
Usually a busy day at work with challenges that keeps it interesting. A good team to work with and good working culture. A good company to work with.
My time at NOV was the best of my career. I left there (Aberdeen, Scotland) on good terms to follow my dream of working in Houston. The support and backing I and the rest of the team received during my time there was outstanding. I was able to travel and improve on my skills as well as develop new ones.
Pros
Treated like an Adult good benefits and work / play balance.
Cons
Being away from family (I had to commute and live in Aberdeen during the week)
At first I was a Warehouse Assistant, and through gaining experience and qualifications I got promoted to an Inspector of Drilling Equipment. My duties as a Warehouse Assistant included: • Inventory Control using NOV’s computer based system, (JDE System) • Loading and unloading cargo from trucks with the use of mobile cranes and forklifts • Banking, and slinging various loads to move around the yard with the crane • Unloading/Loading containers and entering stock into JDE computer system • Carrying out pre use inspection on the forklift and following NOV’s safe operating/lifting procedures. Inspector of Drilling Equipment duties included: • Magnetic Particle Inspection of downhole drilling tools • Liquid penetrant testing on various downhole tools. • Carrying out measurements of downhole drilling tools using NS-2, DS-1, API specification • Mobilisation of drilling equipment for offshore and onshore projects. I have put myself through BOSIET, Banksman, and Slinger (OPITO), MIST training, and I am willing to complete any further training required to get a start offshore. I also have the qualifications I gained through working with NOV such as: • Forklift Truck (counterbalance B2, Combi-Lift side loader, Counterbalance.) • Articulated Forklift • Manual Handling • Banksman, Slinger (Facilities with cranes) • Liquid penetrant testing ASNT level 2 • Magnetic Particle inspection PCN level 2 • Drill pipe inspection course • Bottom Hole Assembly course. Thanks for your help, Regards, Kostas Folkmanas
Once I'm into my job, I ensure an assessment of the work and area is done for safety porpose, then go through the jobs that has to be done for the day. Working here has taught me that safety is of highest importance. On a day to day basis I follow what jobs the supervisor has ordered so as to create a continuum and ecourage the smooth operation of the job. I work well as a part of a team. In my job I don't find that there are any hard areas, however I do find it a challenge when we have to wait for unavailable equipment to carry out a specific job.What I enjoy most about my job is getting the job done on time and having happy customers.
Pros
half hour
Cons
9 hours