National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews in Gateshead

Enjoyed my time at NOV in planing I had a mentor and well looked after. I would of still been there if it were not for oil price crash affecting works wide demand
There is a very clique culture at Nov. If your particular manager puts you in his, you are pretty much ok. If not, you constantly fighting for your own job at every round of redundancies
Treated me well the vast majority of the time I was there. Paid for all of my qualifications throughout my apprenticeship and helped me to progress. Unfortunately I wished to progress even further by doing a degree and they could not guarantee me the time off I needed so had to part ways.
good and interesting job.busy for your full shift which was good.poor organization which meant you had to leave one job and start another.management was friends of friends,some which had no engineering skills and were out of their dept.highly skilled workers badly let down from above
Pros
bonus sometimes, pension
Cons
not tooled up for the jobs
A great place to work, my work colleagues were a pleasure to work along side, it was a shame the company hit bad times due to the slump in oil and gas production.
Pros
Looked after their employees
Cons
Being made redundant
It is a ok workplace but very bad at organising jobs. Bosses are not at good management standard and can be blamed for jobs which can be not your fault entirely e.g. incorrect tooling provided ect.
Pros
Health Care
excellent teamwork good management Structured day at work Up-to-date training in health & safety, 5S, slinging and lifting
Excellent nine years under the previous management then as industry went down hill new management was brought in and redundancy followed
Pros
Salary
Cons
Distance to travel to work
I have worked on the CNC lathes and Maintenance, being involved in projects in both parts of the job to introduce 5's and PPM into maintenance as well as designing and manufacturing test pieces, to help improve job times and efficiency
during my time at NOV I have spent a duration working on various projects, from renovating old machinery to bringing an idea to life and implementing it around the factory.
Jobs at National Oilwell Varco
in Gateshead
See more jobs
hard working lads but management needs an overhaul. A complete change in structure is needed for the company to progress
A busy working environment on the machines, coming into contact with a number of different jobs on a daily basis. Interesting and sometimes challenging work. Learning a great deal on Vertical/Horizontal machines and testing imagination when given new unproven tasks. The shop floor is a good place to be, with great working relationships with co-workers.
Pros
Variation of work
Cons
No prospect for progression
In my time at National oilwell varco i have progressed to be a better machinest overall. i have learned new methods in programming as well as having a different perspective on productivity levels through continuous improvement methods and the '5s' program. I personally find my managers to be very helpful and supportive as in any tasks undertaken by myself or my co-workers.
Pros
working hours, benefits
Cons
job stability due to the current nature of the oil and gas market
Should be a great place to work but the bully boy tactics from management and the rule of my way is the only way from them holds the company back. 90% of management only got job because of who they know and not what they know, this is how so many mistakes have been made and the company suffering.
Pros
Good Lads on shopfloor the solves the problems.
Cons
Terrible management that causes the problems.
general day at work involves setting and programming of various cnc lathes. ensuring the smooth running of a machine shop is met.
Pros
company pension
Cons
night shift
Sales engineer Visiting North East engineering company's that sub contracted work out for tender. Cold calling on factory's to speak to their buyers about quoting on the parts they send out to sub contract engineering company's for machining. Loved meeting new people and learning new products.
Pros
Company car
Cons
Cold calling can be brutal at times
Good company systems and practices are being reviewed to make them more competitive. overall going in the right direction to compete with the best intentions of being a worldclass business
The hardest part for me even though i wouldn't really class it as hard is the sheer volume of work that has to be processed on a daily basis. Even though everything does get done it can get really tiring and you become very drained.
Pros
Dayshift
Cons
Poor Management
not bad conditions and good workforce but let down by senior management who's philosophy was DO AS I SAY and take the blame
Pros
workforce
Cons
management
Very good to place to work, with excellent staff, benifits & conditions.
Pros
work force
Cons
i cannot give a great review, because i was only there for one week as part of a work experience programme. The programe was orginished by my school. whilst i was there i was shown around and when ever i needed help i had it. The was a long dinner period and great atmosphere
Pros
cheap dinner
Cons
Far from my house