National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Job security & advancement reviews

Enjoyed my time at NOV in planing I had a mentor and well looked after. I would of still been there if it were not for oil price crash affecting works wide demand
Good Engineering Salary with good benefits, and a good work life balance. Relatively relaxed place to work. Only negative is that there is no career path
Pros
Salary
Cons
not career path
Good place to work with varied demanding work in many locations around the world. Excellent communication and leadership skill development alongside technical advancement in engineering.
Not much training when you start your role and you just have to learn everything yourself as you go. Very much a blame culture, no one looks for solutions when things go wrong they just look to point their fingers at someone!
Pros
Good company benefits
Cons
Blame culture
It was a pleasure working at NOV, I was only temping but learnt a lot in a short period of time. Friendly and helpful colleagues. Great work environment. I'd love to work there again.
A typical day working for NOV will be enjoyable, you will be sure to learn new skills, plenty of opportunity to progress your career, Over all a good place to work.
very busy workplace, good place to work good training given for differant roles around the factory. mostly shift work 6-2 2-10 10-6. work and ppe provided for you
Well established company, compressed working hours scheme, great benefits, full training provided outstanding management, overall company is the place to be.
Pros
Every other friday off
Cons
Salary is rubbish and so is advancing through the company. No progress anywhere so you’ll be stuck in a dead end job until you decide to leave. Would not advise working here.
excellent place to serve an apprenticeship. fully exposed to heavy industry operations, increasing responsibility throughout apprenticeship. Great all round company.
Pros
overtime
Cons
working hours
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at National Oilwell Varco?
Treated me well the vast majority of the time I was there. Paid for all of my qualifications throughout my apprenticeship and helped me to progress. Unfortunately I wished to progress even further by doing a degree and they could not guarantee me the time off I needed so had to part ways.
Really loved working for NOV and was devastated when the redundancies forced their hand. no two days were ever the same i have the opportunity to travel and worked with some of the smartest people in the industry. our small team was extremely friendly and i enjoyed just being in the office. Management took a grown up approach to its staff and allowed them to work unhindered. which made the redundancy especially difficult.
Pros
international travle
Great place to serve as an apprentice. modern technology. good experienced workforce. good salary. the benefits within the company are very good. management were good for working around your outside life.
Good Company to be employed by, many opportunities to move in the right direction with the company. Chances to work abroad in different locations onshore and offshore. Management are good and care about its employees.
as stated in my summary, good place to work, though feedback can be hard to come by due to busy work schedule of supervisors. training has been cut back due to downturn in industry however most personnel are highly qualified to start with
Excellent nine years under the previous management then as industry went down hill new management was brought in and redundancy followed
Pros
Salary
Cons
Distance to travel to work
A tough company to work for with the current climate. Poor management and little room for progression, salary is a little below competitive.
A proactive company with excellent senior leadership, with vision to succeed in their marketplace. Growth is through aggressive acquisition and integration of new companies can be somewhat slow.
Pros
excellent working conditions
Cons
average salaries inb some roles
Throughout my apprenticeship it has been a good place to work although with the downturn in oil happening it means there is now no job security. The working day is 12 hours although theres is a lot of time off so it creates a good job work/life balance. The training isn't always great what can make the job slightly harder at times although i enjoy the challenge. Overall it has been a good place to work but with the oil and gas downturn it looks like ill need to move elsewhere.
Pros
Good Interesting Job
Cons
No Job security.
Many pies, too few fingers. Covering a vast field within the energy sector would seem to be too much of a challenge. Due to their poor planning and infrastructure, they ended up making many people, including me redundant.
Pros
Fairly laid back attitude.
Cons
Unsure what they are trying to achieve.
mye bøying av rør og montering av hydrauliske komponenter. lært masse hydraulikk og mekanisk arbeid. min nærmeste ledelse har jeg hatt godt samarbeid med. folkene jeg jobber med har vært veldig hyggelig og jeg har trivdes godt med de. det vanskeligste med jobben er venting på deler og tegninger.
Pros
gode pensjons og forsikrings ordninger.