National Theatre

Working at National Theatre: 28 National Theatre Reviews

United Kingdom28 reviews

Good experience

Open and reliable people. They value communication and support. I obviously speak from a limited perspective because the NT is a big place and for now I have worked only in one department. Nonetheless, my experience is a positive one. My job is relatively straightforward and repetitive but the people I work with make it pleasant. I learned a lot by proxy and by doing my job.

Unprofessional Management

My job was amazing in the beginning, people was friendly at first, good to watch shows as an usher as a bonus, discount in bookshop and canteenBut the place has gone downhillManagers are unprofessional, if you raise an issue with management they don’t listen.The vibe and culture is negative and toxicThere are better theatres to work at.

Pros

Discount on gifts in Bookshop and food in canteen

Cons

Unprofessional management all over.

Insights into National Theatre

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Great People

Great People to work with, always learning something new. Very CollaborativeProducing HouseGreat Management, understanding and always there for your wellbeing

Enjoyed working at NT

I have worked in several departments at NT, both FoH and in their offices. I found the stafff friendly and the supervisors and lower management cared very much about staff welfare.

Pros

Subsidised canteen and staff bar. Discounted tickets to performances (limited number)

Cons

Anti social working hours FoH

Not bad workplace, fast paced

Most colleagues are nice to work with, some supervisors can be mean but thats how they get you to work I guess. Strict with breaks. Unpaid absence which can be a pain if you really need the money

Pros

Nice colleagues.

Cons

Long, unforgiving unsociable hours, unpaid absence

Best Place I've worked

I was a casual worker from mid 2017 up to September 2020, I was let go after the furlough got cut.The place and people were really fun. Staff are well taken care of. We had sizeable locker/changing room, showers, own staff canteen and fully functioning bar. My work was split between the cafes, bars, outdoor pop ups in summer and various bits and pieces . If you look for opportunity, you can make a lot of money! I would like to return in a different capacity, maybe in a few years!

Pros

Food vouchers, generous pay

Cons

not enough progression in my area but still had plenty to do

Hard work, fun people

Working at the theatre bars was challenging but I found learning about the theatre environment interesting. My colleagues were mostly nice and occasionally see famous actors/people!

Pros

Free tickets to shows

Cons

Not much opportunity to advance

Good

It was good place to work and gain experience. I had a lot of good times and it helped me immensely with my career progression. Would recommend if you get the opportunity

Pros

In centre of london

Cons

In centre of london

Productive and learning

I really enjoyed my time there. I met some interesting people and they took the time to explain things well. there are many opportunities for growth at national theatre.

creative

a great place to work if you you work in theatre, competitive. relaxed and safe atmosphere, long hours and lots of evening and weekend work. safe working environment

National theatre

Great place to work fun kind people to work around or with to result of working hard pays of in building as u can get extra hours if u are willing to put hard work in

extremely fun workplace

A typical day at work for me would include interacting with not only customers but colleagues, giving my best always and learning from my surroundings. I became more aware of the different roles a workplace like a theatre can have. Management can be like challenging and requires are lot of skills to overcome. The hardest part of this job would have to be dealing with the more complicated clients and their concerns. the most enjoyable part of this job would be the people who work there.

Pros

watching some of the performances

Fun Exciting workplace

Learning how the company runs and what it takes to keep such a well known place like that as exciting as possible, colleagues are helpful and understanding helping you get the most out of your experience.

Pros

Amazing atmosphere

Cons

tiring work

Úžasné pracovní místo

V rámci Londýna to byla jedna z nejlepších prací. Možnost směn byla skvělá. Parta lidí byla skvělá. Lokalita taktéž a bonusy a benefity byly velmi příjemné.

Pros

možnost vybírání směn, slevy na lístky, občerstvení

Productive and supportive workplace

Productive and supportive workplace. Creatively inspiring, learned a lot during my time. Deadlines were tight as expected but the working environment was joyfully collaborative.

enthusiastic and encouraging

i was given incredible education and opportunities whilst here, ones i couldn't have imagine id be so lucky to be involved in. loved every second of it.

Most Fun, Activity-packed group work experience in theatre I've done

Everyday was well organised, structured and planned. We knew what we were doing at all times and learnt soft skills applicable to every job. Theatre based/ Front of House activities included set designing, catering skills and customer service skills.

enjoyable place to work

Fantastic place to work with a great group of people. It was such a good place to work you didn't mind working weekends Or even working overtime, getting to work on scenarios and then seeing the actors use it

Pros

great place to work

Fun and great team

National Theatre is a great place to work to have a great experience of working with interesting people and learning about theatre. Lots of staff benefits including tours and tickets.

It was a completley new thing.

Started work there from college for work experience. It was something very new that I had never done before but it was relevant to my Art and Design course. I really enjoyed the team work.

Fun workplace

A great place to work. Community feel. Creative building. Hard working staff. Organised and structured work place. Supports local community. Interesting project. Internal Jobs.

Pros

High pay, free tickets

Cons

Zero hour contract

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Theatre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement